Author Topic: My militia group vs. president of Brady Campaign, on Fox News.  (Read 25126 times)

Declaration Day

• friends
Here's a fairly short video of my fellow Southeast Michigan Volunteer Militia Team Leader taking on the president of the Brady Campaign. 

Note the difference in behavior and discipline between the two of them.

FoxNews made a mistake in calling us the SouthWEST Michigan Volunteer Militia.  No such unit exists, but hey, no big deal.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4160077/armed-with-a-message/?playlist_id=87937

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: My militia group vs. president of Brady Campaign, on Fox News.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:39:13 PM »
Good demeanor, but TV interviews go over better with viewers if you don't look like you walked into the studio straight off a three-day camping trip with the guys.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
I agree with you, but that's as clean-shaven as he gets.   If that's the best you can throw at us, I'll take it.  :lol:

Look at How Mark Potok from the SPLC appears on TV interviews.  ;/

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:43:51 PM »
Don't underestimate it.  To the uninformed, even a *expletive deleted*che like Paul Helmke comes off as more credible just because he knew to wear a suit.

taurusowner

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 07:52:26 PM »
I agree.  One of the biggest determinants to any militia movement is Public Image.  You can have all the right ideas in the world, but if your opponent looks like he's get it together and you don't you've lost.  That's not just for interviews.  For instance, camouflage is for training and nothing else.  I've seen interviews of militias on documentaries, and the interviewer always manages to find the overweight guys in camo who can't really speak well to put on camera.  There is a reason why the US Army strongly encourages and in some cases requires any and all contact between the media and a soldier be conducted through a Public Affairs Liaison.  Your group should consider doing the same thing.

It doesn't matter what you ideas are.  You need to sell them.  And to the non-gun owning public, a suit during an interview sells a message better than a t-shirt, fleece and unkempt beard.  You said that's as clean shaven as he gets.  Well then with all due respect, he should never be placed in front of another camera again.  Get yourself an idea salesmen.  Now.  Otherwise the general public will continue to laugh at militias even more than they already do.  And btw, Mark Potok isn't fighting an uphill battle.  Mark Potok isn't part of a group the media goes out of their way to make look like bloodthirsty rednecks.  Mark Potok isn't defending a group a large portion of Americans have been raised to disdain.

Don't be the stereotype.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »
Don't underestimate it.  To the uninformed, even a *expletive deleted*che like Paul Helmke comes off as more credible just because he knew to wear a suit.

I completely understand the importance of appearance.

In principle you are both correct; in real life anyone who either supports us or stands a chance of doing so won't likely be so shallow.

I'll make the suggestion to Mike that he dresses up a bit in the future.  In the mean time, give us a little credit for sticking our necks out there for the 2A cause.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 07:56:22 PM »
I agree.  One of the biggest determinants to any militia movement is Public Image.  You can have all the right ideas in the world, but if your opponent looks like he's get it together and you don't you've lost.  That's not just for interviews.  For instance, camouflage is for training and nothing else.  I've seen interviews of militias on documentaries, and the interviewer always manages to find the overweight guys in camo who can't really speak well to put on camera.  There is a reason why the US Army strongly encourages and in some cases requires any and all contact between the media and a soldier be conducted through a Public Affairs Liaison.  Your group should consider doing the same thing.

It doesn't matter what you ideas are.  You need to sell them.  And to the non-gun owning public, a suit during an interview sells a message better than a t-shirt, fleece and unkempt beard.  You said that's as clean shaven as he gets.  Well then with all due respect, he should never be placed in front of another camera again.  Get yourself an idea salesmen.  Now.  Otherwise the general public will continue to laugh at militias even more than they already do.

Don't be the stereotype.
This.

He was eloquent.  He was polite.  That's about it.  When it comes to dealing with the media, image is everything. Everything.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:05:47 PM »
As others have said, I'm gonna reiterate.  Helmke came across as a pompous ass, but a well dressed pompous ass.  Your rep was polite, eloquent, and respectful.  But frankly, he looked like a slob.  You're right in that to the people you really want supporting you, that shouldn't matter.  However, in the culture war we're currently in, it DOES matter.  To Joe and Jane Smith in Anywhere, USA, Helmke came across as the more credible, more believable character.  It doesn't matter that he was lying through his teeth and shaking his head condescendingly, he APPEARED to be more professional, and more credible.  Heck, a button down shirt and a razor, and your guy would have won. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 08:10:09 PM »

I agree with everyone else.  Get someone to volunteer to buy a razor and a suit.  It'd really help your credibility.  Yes, it's shallow, but it's how people think.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

taurusowner

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 08:11:26 PM »
A good salesmen sells himself, not the product.  That's always been the problem with militia and patriot groups.  They think good intentions, great ideas and dedication will win the day.  Unfortunately the average person decides if they like you long before they even know what you're saying or what your ideas mean.  If they like you, you're in.  If they don't, nothing you say from that point on matters.  Impression is everything.  And when they see a stereotype, their mind files every single thing that person says away under "nonsense", because they've already decided you're not worth listening to.

Make them like you.  Then worry about if they like what you're saying.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 08:15:40 PM »

In case it hasn't been said enough: kudos to your militia for your public-relations efforts.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 08:18:01 PM »
Going back to a question I asked in an earlier thread, this would be why.

People associate non-military people clothed (especially routinely) in camo to be extremists, rednecks, or both. 
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 08:20:41 PM »
 I appreciate the constructive criticisms; if I didn't, I wouldn't post anything about us here.

FWIW, we're the only militia in the country that puts a sincere effort forth at public relations, even going so far as to open all of our trainings and meetings to the public.  When the MSM blamed the Michigan Militia for the Hutaree incident, we rose to the occasion and spent three full days on the phone and in front of cameras to correct the error.  We succeeded.  Our membership has doubled, and we have established a good working relationship with Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

In the wake of our effort, US Attorney Barbara McQuade publicly stated that militias were not the target of that raid, and that we have the right to organize.

We also have minorities getting involved for the first time.  This is a big deal.

We might not be perfect, but we've made significant, undeniable gains.

In any case: Suit, tie, shave.  Got it, thanks guys.  =)

taurusowner

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 08:33:19 PM »
Declaration, I have no idea what your funding level is, but have you considered perhaps hiring a marketing consultant or maybe if you have the funds to keep one around, just pay a marketing or sales firm to give your group a one-time look over and give you some pointers about how to make the public see your group and think "respectable law abiding good guys"?

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »
Declaration, I have no idea what your funding level is, but have you considered perhaps hiring a marketing consultant or maybe if you have the funds to keep one around, just pay a marketing or sales firm to give your group a one-time look over and give you some pointers about how to make the public see your group and think "respectable law abiding good guys"?

+1

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 08:35:26 PM »
Hmm, depends.  How much would something like that cost?  And can you suggest anyone?

taurusowner

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 08:38:16 PM »
Or, if you don't have the funds to pay someone, find one of your members who has a successful background in business and task him with looking at other groups that the public sees positively,(even groups you're opposed to), and ask "why does the public like this group?" "What can we do to replicate this kind of image impact?"  Have him or even a few people who have a mind for that sort of thing really take a month or two to do some serious research into image relations, ask questions, talk to other non-profit group leaders who have been successful and see what helped them.  Even if you can't afford a pro, I'm sure there is a businessman or some other type of member who has a mind for that kind of thing who can help you in-house.

Remember, not every soldier is a pointy-end soldier.  But we all get the job done.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »
One of our administrators would be good at this.  He is President of the Board of Directors for a local marketing / sales training firm.  He designs all of our pamphlets, flyers, newsletters etc., is highly educated and very well-spoken.  I always see him dressed professionally.

Unfortunately he is overweight, which I believe will have the same effect on public perception as not wearing a suit and tie.  Perhaps someone else in his company can give us a hand...

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 08:57:42 PM »
Ok, time to stand up the Michigan Militia psy-ops unit. Fox news is the only major outlet you have a realistic shot at. So, what you need are a few very smart, well-spoken people who believe in the militia movement. By people I of course mean female and good looking. Send them in with short skirts and an AR-15, Fox will have them on every week.  =D

Good job though with the interview you did get though.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 09:01:02 PM »
By people I of course mean female and good looking.

Hmm, we do have a few such members in our 'arsenal'.  =)  You are a genius.

You probably just pissed of bridgewalker with that statement, though.  Just warning you.  :lol:

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 09:02:36 PM »
Nah, I figure I'm too dumb to participate in this conversation.  I know I'm dumb because I looked in a mirror earlier.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 09:03:08 PM »
I completely understand the importance of appearance.

In principle you are both correct; in real life anyone who either supports us or stands a chance of doing so won't likely be so shallow.

I'll make the suggestion to Mike that he dresses up a bit in the future.  In the mean time, give us a little credit for sticking our necks out there for the 2A cause.

I don't think you do.  My wife has given hours and hours of training on appearance, as well as devoted hundreds of hours to research and study of appearance.
Have them dress like a lawyer next time.  Trust me.  High dollar pinstripe suit.  Take up a damn collection if you have to.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 09:06:40 PM »
Thank you and please extend my thanks to your organization for everything you are doing for all of us.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 09:07:21 PM »
I don't think you do.  My wife has given hours and hours of training on appearance, as well as devoted hundreds of hours to research and study of appearance.
Have them dress like a lawyer next time.  Trust me.  High dollar pinstripe suit.  Take up a damn collection if you have to.

Noted.  We have a Team Leader Meeting this coming Monday, and I will make this a top priority of discussion.  

The collection won't be necessary, though.  Despite the stereotype, the vast majority of us aren't anywhere near being poor.  :lol:

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 09:14:07 PM »
A well-tailored suit, dress shirt, tie, and good shave & haircut are media camo.

An attractive, articulate female is going to be a more effective spokesperson than any male. It's not fair, it's not right, but it just is.

Being earnest without being smarmy and condescending (as the Brady guy was) is more effective, but appearance is equally important.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain