Author Topic: Stephen Hawking Warns Against First Contact  (Read 35088 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Stephen Hawking Warns Against First Contact
« on: April 25, 2010, 07:26:34 AM »
This is a major theme of my third book, so it's nice to hear my hero echoing some of my concerns.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/25/dont-talk-aliens-warns-stephen-hawking/?test=latestnews

Scientist suggests that aliens might simply raid Earth for its resources and then move on: "We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet."

AFP

Jan. 14: Stephen Hawking speaks via satellite during a Science Channel presentation in Pasadena, Calif.

Aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials are almost certain to exist — but that instead of seeking them out, humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.

The suggestions come in a new documentary series in which Hawking, one of the world’s leading scientists, will set out his latest thinking on some of the universe’s greatest mysteries.

Alien life, he will suggest, is almost certain to exist in many other parts of the universe: not just in planets, but perhaps in the centre of stars or even floating in interplanetary space.

Hawking’s logic on aliens is, for him, unusually simple. The universe, he points out, has 100 billion galaxies, each containing hundreds of millions of stars. In such a big place, Earth is unlikely to be the only planet where life has evolved.

“To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational,” he said. “The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like.”

The answer, he suggests, is that most of it will be the equivalent of microbes or simple animals — the sort of life that has dominated Earth for most of its history.

One scene in his documentary for the Discovery Channel shows herds of two-legged herbivores browsing on an alien cliff-face where they are picked off by flying, yellow lizard-like predators. Another shows glowing fluorescent aquatic animals forming vast shoals in the oceans thought to underlie the thick ice coating Europa, one of the moons of Jupiter.

Such scenes are speculative, but Hawking uses them to lead on to a serious point: that a few life forms could be intelligent and pose a threat. Hawking believes that contact with such a species could be devastating for humanity.

Continue reading at the Times of London
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Stephen Hawking Warns Against First Contact
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 09:01:19 AM »
IIRC, Charles Pelligrino and George Zebrowski wrote a pair of novels with that theme.  New civilization breaks radio silence, within short order gets a relativistic kinetic ZAP.  The universe ends up with a bunch of civilizations each keep a very low profile.

Personally, I suspect they're not out there.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:40:29 AM »
Is there other life in the universe? probably. Are they at the level to take advantage of interstellar/intergalactic travel? much less likely.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »
So the great mind of Stephan Hawking cannot escape the anthropomorphizing of theoretic alien life forms.

Surprising lack of imagination IMHO.

Having said that, I have no issues with keeping a low profile as a planet. Just seems like a good idea from a survival of the species aspect. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 11:25:19 AM »
"Footfall"
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 11:43:41 AM »
IIRC, Charles Pelligrino and George Zebrowski wrote a pair of novels with that theme.  New civilization breaks radio silence, within short order gets a relativistic kinetic ZAP.  The universe ends up with a bunch of civilizations each keep a very low profile.

Personally, I suspect they're not out there.

I suspect they're out there, that they are very rare and separated in space and time. The next few decades of study of places in our own Solar System such as Europa and Mars will give us a clue if life is common out there. And large next-generation spaceborne telescopes might show life signs such as spectroscopy of free oxygen etc. in the atmospheres of planets orbiting other stars. However, there's no reason that intelligence is some sort of goal or end-game for evolution.

And my views on exponential technological growth and the potential for technological singularity are pretty well known here. So I suspect that any species that "makes it" moves beyond paradigms of resource exploitation or any desire to communicate peacefully, or destroy another civilization.

The transmitting time for a civilization is probably very brief as compared to the distances separating civilizations. Despite how the claims that "I Love Lucy" is going on out there FOREVARRRRR.... etc. it's not true. Inverse square law is a bitch, and the frequency is not optimized for long distance space propagation. A civilization that built dish antennae the size of planets still could not detect us much beyond a few hundred light years.

Unless species are packed in and crowded like in Star Wars or Star Trek, you'd have to build a Dyson Sphere surrounding a star, convert most all the energy intercepted into radio at the 12cm Hydrogen "water hole" that's best for interstellar communication, and leave it running for thousands... millions of years to have a decent chance of being picked up by another civilization.

And I agree with Ron. Hawking's brilliance with physics and mathematics does not automatically translate to other things. And as far as the relativistic weaponry horror story with the evil game-theory basis of "it's the only way to be safe/sure", the problem is that if races are in such close contact and similar technological levels, the odds of some third race seeing what you're doing are pretty good, then making the aggressor race vulnerable, and with PROOF they're DEFINITELY a threat, instead of just "maybe" a threat by virtue of possessing technology/spaceflight.
I promise not to duck.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 12:54:30 PM »
"It's a cookbook!"

Serjimously, I wonder what most religions would do...

And if the other guys are advanced enough to come to us, well... they'll likely make most of the bad guys in the science fiction movies look like possible allies...

Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 01:02:32 PM »
Scientist suggests that aliens might simply raid Earth for its resources and then move on

Har, har.  If there are are any resources left.

I kind of concluded that there must be other life out there when I happened to be on an enormous stretch of concrete out at the old Stapleton airport in Denver.

There were a few persistent blades of grass sticking up here and there from teeny little cracks in the 10-15 acres of bare-nekkid concrete.  

I figured if a few blades of grass would insist on peeping out there, in the  middle of all that concrete, there must be other life in the universe.

But then again, I'm more of a poet than a scientist.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:05:46 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 01:26:35 PM »
I have always figured that IF life was out there, and IF it wasn't just some kind of microscopic plant thing living in goop, that it would probably be pretty hostile towards us.
I mean, look at the contents of fistful's gAy Thread.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 01:58:21 PM »
I suspect they're out there, that they are very rare and separated in space and time. The next few decades of study of places in our own Solar System such as Europa and Mars will give us a clue if life is common out there. And large next-generation spaceborne telescopes might show life signs such as spectroscopy of free oxygen etc. in the atmospheres of planets orbiting other stars. However, there's no reason that intelligence is some sort of goal or end-game for evolution.

My understanding is, that all the extrasolar planetary systems we have discovered so far are extremely unpromising.  The very best is the one we're sitting in. The numbers aren't looking real good.

This is an oft-argued subject.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 02:12:55 PM »
My understanding is, that all the extrasolar planetary systems we have discovered so far are extremely unpromising.  The very best is the one we're sitting in. The numbers aren't looking real good.

This is an oft-argued subject.

That's only because the sensitivity of the telescopes used can most detect "hot Jupiters" large gas-giants and brown dwarfs close in to their parent star. They occult the star the most often, and have the greatest gravitation perturbations of the primary star.

There's been a handful of  "much closer" candidates found as well. Where the mass is more like 2-3x that of Earth, or orbiting in the liquid water zone for that star etc. So we keep pulling closer.

Right now though the big finding is we didn't even know if planets were common. Now we know they're more likely the rule rather than the exception.

The next generation space telescopes will be able to find more promising planets in "life zone" orbits directly. And eventually, if anyone funds a formation of space telescopes which can perform interferometry and "blot out" the parent star entirely, we can image an earth-like world at a few hundred light years, at least good enough to get spectroscopy to look for free O2, or other combinations of gasses in the atmosphere that are unlikely without some form of active life to replenish them.
I promise not to duck.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 02:35:55 PM »
Inverse square law is a bitch, and the frequency is not optimized for long distance space propagation. A civilization that built dish antennae the size of planets still could not detect us much beyond a few hundred light years.

Thank you. My friend and I calculated that in order for an alien civilization orbiting Alpha Centauri to intercept a TV broadcast (like in Contact) they would need a receiving dish hundreds of kilometers in diameter. With the assumption that "intercepting" means detecting a single photon (not a very good picture probably).
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 02:46:48 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 03:27:11 PM »
Thank you. My friend and I calculated that in order for an alien civilization orbiting Alpha Centauri to intercept a TV broadcast (like in Contact) they would need a receiving dish hundreds of kilometers in diameter. With the assumption that "intercepting" means detecting a single photon (not a very good picture probably).

Yeah, in Contact, the dishes were indeed somewhere on that scale. Described as a gigantic faceted planetoid covered in dishes. And were only eleven light years away orbiting Vega. Not much further than Alpha Centauri.

Although if your only criteria is to determine by frequency, modulation etc. that the signal is artificial, and that through doppler shift it matches the candidate star, plus the orbital motion of a planet, plus that planet's rotation... then the criteria for the detection threshold is way lower than if you want to extract information from the signal.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 03:31:44 PM »
Of course, if you have the tech to cross interstellar distances, you might devise a means to create a large receiver/detector that doesn't need a physical dish so big.

I thought some of those big gas giants they found were actually in the life zone of the stars they orbited.  Any moons might be habitable...assuming they are not populated by Pitch Black creatures.

Regarding Hawking's comments, since we really only have one intelligent species to look at to figure out what others might be like, applying human failings and ambitions to them is not far fetched.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
Galactic Encyclopedia Vol. 64, Ha through Ϟʵ, pp. 485

"...Hawking's prediction proved deeply ironic when humankind's first sentient contact was with the ͻ̧Дҩᴧứῷ▒.  According to the few ͻ̧Дҩᴧứῷ▒ records that have survived, human military communications, and anti-alien propaganda preserved in 22nd-century, Earth-based blogs, they were a race of wheel-chair bound intellectuals." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 04:18:45 PM »
"wheel-chair bound" = politikly inkorrekt
"wheel-chair using" = politikly korrekt

You have been notified.   >:D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 04:42:51 PM »
Regarding antenna sizes, we're assuming antennas that work like the ones we're familiar with.  According to an article in this month's QST (Amateur Radio mag), a new type of antenna has recently been developed using a new type of material.  Those antennas can be a fraction of the size normally required for a given frequency.  Antennas that used to be 6" long can now be a 1/4" (for UHF).

Chris

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 04:48:45 PM »
Of course, if you have the tech to cross interstellar distances, you might devise a means to create a large receiver/detector that doesn't need a physical dish so big.

I thought some of those big gas giants they found were actually in the life zone of the stars they orbited.  Any moons might be habitable...assuming they are not populated by Pitch Black creatures.

Regarding Hawking's comments, since we really only have one intelligent species to look at to figure out what others might be like, applying human failings and ambitions to them is not far fetched.  

Very true, it's all we have to go by.

OTOH, a sentient species might be some sort of colonial life form. All the bloodthirsty competition of sexual mammals might be completely foreign to them. We really have a hard time stepping outside ourselves to truly take on a frame of reference that's not bound by our bilology. There are such assumptions colored by sexual and competitive selection that are in EVERYTHING we do.

But if my suspicions should ever prove true, that being-machine interface, AI etc. comes to pass after a certain level of development is reached, then perhaps there are universal mathematical or game-theory truths to inter species interactions that we just don't understand yet.

I promise not to duck.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 04:55:53 PM »
a new type of antenna has recently been developed using a new type of material.  Those antennas can be a fraction of the size normally required for a given frequency.  Antennas that used to be 6" long can now be a 1/4" (for UHF).

The issue in this regime isn't really achieving the proper antenna size to have 1/4 wavelength or anything. In this case it's about intercepting anything at all. If you have photons radiating from earth, their distance from each other can be visualized as if they were spread evenly over the surface of an imaginary sphere. As they radiate outward, the size of that sphere increases as the radius squared (A=4piR^2). By the time the radius gets very big, the signal has broken down into individual photons basically, and a modulated signal cannot be extracted from individual photons.

Yeah, in Contact, the dishes were indeed somewhere on that scale. Described as a gigantic faceted planetoid covered in dishes. And were only eleven light years away orbiting Vega. Not much further than Alpha Centauri.

Although if your only criteria is to determine by frequency, modulation etc. that the signal is artificial, and that through doppler shift it matches the candidate star, plus the orbital motion of a planet, plus that planet's rotation... then the criteria for the detection threshold is way lower than if you want to extract information from the signal.

All good points. But in the movie, the aliens beamed back grainy television footage from WWII. Apparently they were visual aliens who also happened to use PAL.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Barbara

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 05:14:51 PM »
I believe that life is probably relatively prevalent in the universe. Intelligent life advanced enough to travel long distances in space? Much less prevalent.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 05:40:17 PM »
No need for aliens to watch & decode I Love Lucy programs . . . I've read that the radars of the DEW line were putting out much more energy than an ordinary TV station, and doing it at a wavelength that would stand out from the solar background quite handily. And they were doing it in a more-or-less collimated beam. A spectrum analysis of our solar system that showed a line there would make an LGM* sit up and say "Hmmmm . . . ?"

(* - LGM - Little Green Man.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 07:03:22 PM »
One argument I've heard regarding alien life as being more advanced than our own, in the technological and possibly even biological manner, makes sense to me.

Earth has had many setbacks of varying nature over the course of its life--one fine example is dinosaurs.  If the mass-extinction event that wiped them out didn't happen, they would most likely be the dominant form of life here, with several million years' worth of evolution on us.

Aside from that, human history has had its own setbacks as well.  Falls of great civilizations, dark ages, "total war," etc.  Many advances made during the course of the Roman Empire were lost until we figured them out again centuries later.  Things like the Antikythera mechanism and the Aeolipile, both from the BC era, are of a level of technology that didn't come about again until the 18th and 19th centuries.  If an alien civilization retained such knowledge and continued to improve upon them, it wouldn't be very difficult at all for them to be many, many years ahead of us--and that's if they equal us in intelligence.  No telling what point they'd be at if they were smarter.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 10:47:10 PM »
No need for aliens to watch & decode I Love Lucy programs . . . I've read that the radars of the DEW line were putting out much more energy than an ordinary TV station, and doing it at a wavelength that would stand out from the solar background quite handily. And they were doing it in a more-or-less collimated beam. A spectrum analysis of our solar system that showed a line there would make an LGM* sit up and say "Hmmmm . . . ?"

(* - LGM - Little Green Man.)

I was thinking of DEW line and the "woodpeckers" too. Although some were ionosphere bouncers so would not have much leakage into space.
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 11:00:22 PM »
Vogon poetry is of course, the third worst in the universe. The second worst is that of the Azgoths of Kria. During a recitation by their poet master Grunthos the Flatulent of his poem "Ode to a Small Lump of Green Putty I Found in My Armpit One Midsummer Morning" four of his audience died of internal hemorrhaging and the president of the Mid-Galactic Arts Nobbling Council survived only by gnawing one of his own legs off. Grunthos was reported to have been "disappointed" by the poem's reception, and was about to embark on a reading of his 12-book epic entitled "My Favourite Bathtime Gurgles" when his own major intestine--in a desperate attempt to save humanity--leapt straight up through his neck and throttled his brain. The very worst poetry of all perished along with its creator, Paul Neil Milne Johnstone of Redbridge, in the destruction of the planet Earth. Vogon poetry is mild by comparison.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"