Author Topic: Michigan Bar Exam  (Read 9263 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
Michigan Bar Exam
« on: May 01, 2010, 09:48:14 PM »
I passed.  =D

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Michigan Bar Exam
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:50:12 PM »
Congrats
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:14:16 PM »
Whoopeee!  =D

Good girl!  :cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:22:51 PM »
Congratulations, BW!  With you and Ned, the legal profession is in good hands.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 10:36:35 PM »
JD Bridgy, esq.    Has a sort of ring to it.

Way ta go, Bridgy.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 10:47:47 PM »
Congratulations!!!!   =)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 10:48:31 PM »
Right on, right on, right on.
7-11 was a part time job.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 10:59:18 PM »
Congrats.  Drinks on BW.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 11:14:59 PM »
Congratulations.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 11:16:07 PM »
Hey, good news!  Congrats, BW.  I'll bet that's a load off.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
Atta boy girl!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 12:08:46 AM »
Whee!

OK, how much for a fairly simple will to dispose of accumulated guns & household detrius?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 12:14:59 AM »
As they say in the ghetto, "You go, girl!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 12:17:45 AM »
Good on ya!
Formerly sumpnz

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 01:17:21 AM »
Thanks.  =)

I can't sleep, for some reason.  

I had a pretty cool day leading up to this.

Posted the following to the Runner's World forums a little while ago:

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/beginners/first-5k-rr-long-rambling
Today, I ran my first 5k.  It was the Mind Over Matter Race for mental health awareness and suicide prevention.  http://www.mindovermatterrace.org/Home_Page.html

It's a cause that is important to me because one of the reasons I run is to help me continue surviving recurrent bouts of serious depression.  I put off running, or any exercise, really, for years, because I was a self-injurer for a long time and was ashamed of my scars.  This race was important to me.

However, I've been plagued by ITBS [APS non-runners: that's an overuse syndrome of the knees] ever since I seriously overworked/overstressed myself right before my first half marathon this past February. I had planned my first half-marathon for the weekend after sitting for the bar exam, and although I was defnitely ready for the race, those last few weeks of near-constant physical and mental stress, and poor nutrition, lack of sleep, etc, as I focused almost everything I had on the bar exam, and gave what was left to my kids, really took a toll.  I made it through the race ok, but started having ITB pain late in that race, whcih got steadily worse through March, and I've been in PT throughout April.

I've abandoned plans for two other races, because of the ITBS, and then this past Monday I re-injured my shoulder--I had a s.l.a.p. lesion repaired two years ago.  It's been a painful week, and discouraging.  

I don't even remember what reminded me that months ago I had made plans to run the 5k today, but yesterday afternoon I started making plans, even as I had my arm in a sling and was on narcotics+ibuprofen for pain.  I just needed to do it.  

Last week, I was supposed to run the Trail Half-Marathon, but working mileage back up from ITBS, I was restricted to about 5-6 miles for a while and couldn't train.  I switched my registration to the five-mile race that is part of the same event, but then my babysitter didn't show up.  I just needed to get out and do something.

Woke up this morning to rain.  Thunderstorms predicted.  I switched from bright and cheery yellow tank top to a fiery orange lightweight wool ss shirt.  I have found that if the air temp is over thirty, I can run in wool in the rain without getting chilled, no matter how nasty the rain gets.  Still sad I didn't get to wear my tank top though.  Wearing skimpier clothing is one thing that was a major emotional struggle for me, for years.  In any case, I hadn't registered, so I had to get there early.  Did not want to miss it.  

My in-laws live near the race, which was an hour+ away from home, and they agreed to watch my two kids, so there was an early-morning logistical challenge.  Mild panic when the pre-schooler announced that she had to pee, about fifteen away.  Did NOT want to deal with an accident and an upset three-year-old.  Thank God for good friends.  Woke up a friend (at 8.00 on a Saturday morning) who was closer, and begged for the use of her bathroom.  The deviation only cost me ten minutes.

Light rain when I got there, an hour early.  Everyone was hoping for it to clear up.  I was hoping it wouldn't, because I like to run in the rain, and because in my wool shirt, I knew I'd be too hot if the rain stopped and it got humid.  

At about five minutes to nine, too late to go change clothes, the rain stopped and the humidity and temperature started rising.  

My only other race was the RnR NOLA, so this was a much more subdued start.  I had a hard time figuring out where to position myself.  Didn't want to be obnoxiously close to the front, but I was hoping for a sub-30 minute time, so I definitely wanted to be ahead of the walkers/strollers/dog-walkers, etc,  I also had no idea how the shoulder injury/pain would affect my racing.  I only did one other run since re-injuring it, and it was on the treadmill, and before it got as painful as it has on the past couple of days.  They were not doing chip timing, so I also wanted to be close to the front for a fairly accurate time.  I hadn't wanted the distraction of my HRM/sports watch, which has too many functions for me.  If I had had more than a day to plan, I would have, but I figured I ought to keep it simple.

I ended up about twenty feet back of the start line.  A couple obviously fast people right up front.  I was right near the front of the less-obviously-fast crowd.

Within ten steps of the start, my shoulder started aching, that deep nasty pain that kinda' makes you want to throw up--well, makes me want to throw up, anyway.  I broke stride for about two seconds, realized I had started a bit fast, reassured myself that my shoulder is screwed up, but 5k is not likely to make it that much worse, and that I've had two kids, I can handle 5k with a bum shoulder.  Resumed a steady pace, only slightly slower than way too first.  Got through the first mile in about eight minutes, which is very fast for me.  

By then the excitement and probably endorphins and such had kicked in and my shoulder no longer hurt, I was getting into a steady breathing pace, but it was humid and I was HOT in my wool shirt.  Started running through puddles, and trying to breathe deeper and slower.  I sometimes have trouble breathing in humid mornings (asthma) and between the shoulder injury and the humidity, I was just not feeling very confident in my body.  The 8 minute mile was a good reassurance though, so I just jumped in every puddle I could find and found my steadier pace.

I turned the last corner and it was at the bottom of a hill.  A lot of people struggled with that hill, including me, but I refused to break pace--until I realized that it wasn't the last turn, there was one more.  And another hill.  At that point, I decided that I was all in and sprinted up the hill, something I had earlier decided I wouldn't be able to do after spending too much energy on my first, very fast mile.  When I saw the clock approaching, someone was standing in front of it, so only saw a 2, and what I assumed was part of a nine.  I assumed it was 29:xx, but didn't want to give up on keeping it under thirty minutes.  

It was actually 28.  I came in at 28:40.  

And then tonight I came home to an envelope from the state bar.  I passed the bar exam.  

Nice when things come full circle like that.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 07:46:58 AM »
Congratulations and best wishes for your new career.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 09:17:54 AM »
Congrats!

When is the swearing in ceremony?
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 11:07:44 AM »
I think your marathon story is a lot better than my 'I was playing video games' one.  =D

I've had the walking on sunshine feeling for about a week with the celebrations of everyone that knows me.
Still feeling fantastic.

I hope your own feelings and celebrations match or exceed my own. 
Cept in terms of alcohol consumption of course... that just wouldn't be healthy.  :P
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 01:50:15 PM »
Like there was any doubt!  Congratulations.   =)
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 01:51:09 PM »
Congrats!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 02:20:19 PM »
When is the swearing in ceremony?

Don't know yet.  Nothing on the Ingham County Bar site yet.  I'll call tomorrow.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 03:41:19 PM »
Sweet, now you can start every sentence with, "As your lawyer I advise you..." :)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 05:04:05 PM »
Sweet, now you can start every sentence with, "As your lawyer I advise you..." :)

Only to those who are her actual clients.  I am sure she had a question on the Bar exam on this; I did.   =D

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 05:56:12 PM »
Great, now she bill us for posting on APS....... :P :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 07:34:12 PM »
Great, now she bill us for posting on APS....... :P :P

Unfortunately, I can only bill one of you at a time. 

Fortunately, I have a fairly good idea which of you have the deeper pockets.   =D