Author Topic: Chinese outsourcer seeks U.S. workers with IQ of 125 and up  (Read 5695 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Chinese outsourcer seeks U.S. workers with IQ of 125 and up
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 10:10:12 AM »
I read the article. An IQ of 140 is "extremely" high? I thought 170 was extremely high.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 10:32:45 AM »
 =(  They no want me?   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 10:44:02 AM »
I got the IQ but I don't know a damn thing about programming or IT or any of that crap. Maybe I could play soothing background music in the cafeteria during lunch?  =|

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 10:48:59 AM »
I had a high IQ when I was in high school, but I forgot everything I learned. Now I just know the stuff required to make a living and stay alive. I guess I won't be working for Mr. Chan.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 11:21:38 AM »
Hawkmoon, you said,
I read the article. An IQ of 140 is "extremely" high? I thought 170 was extremely high.

According to the article,
An IQ of 140 is extremely high, representing about the top 1% of the population,

The upper 1% isn't high enough in your book to count as "extremely high"? Man, you tough!
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 11:21:51 AM »
Chinese IQ?  Or American IQ?

Since I perform at the level of a 30-year old and I'm 71, that gives me an IQ of 42.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 11:34:35 AM »
Hawkmoon, you said,
According to the article,
The upper 1% isn't high enough in your book to count as "extremely high"? Man, you tough!

The top 1 percentile is plenty high. I just thought I had read recently that the top 1 percentile was above 165. However, either there are conflicting scales or I mis-remembered.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 12:10:32 PM »
I'm in there with 280plus but cannot abide soothing background music.  I'm also in there with 230RN, but with a few less years my IQ remains above his.  Monkeyleg at least bothered to initially learn all that useless crap - I still have not met the first person whose native language was Algebra, and now that I'm retired I do not have any reason to retain the stuff he says he needs to hang on to.

On the other hand, I like real Chinese food and can live in a space half the size of a Conex box as long as there is air conditioning.

So, when will the taxi arrive to wisk me to the airport to begin my journey to exotic Shanghi?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 12:15:33 PM »
High IQ doesn't seem very high because of the way people tend to associate with similar people.  

For example, less that 2% of the US population has a professional or doctoral degree, but over 50% of my close friends irl have a professional or doctoral degree.  Those people have a tendency to have high IQs.  High IQ also tends to cluster in families.  I'm not quite a moron compared to my brother, but close, high IQ and graduate degree notwithstanding.

And of course, APS is another self-selecting group. We had a poll on educational attainments a while back.  Certainly did not reflect the national averages at all.

One problem with using IQ as a qualification for hiring in the US is that many people don't know their IQ.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 12:38:04 PM »
My wife says that it's a plot to eliminate all the intelligent people in the US.  Then, they can easily take over America.  Remember the killing fields in Cambodia?  Anyone with glasses in Cambodia was deemed to be intelligent and executed.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »
I took the Wechsler test the day before my 19th birthday.  I was told that my result would have been five points lower if I was in the next age group.  I guess a 19-year-old is expected to be five points smarter than an 18-year-old.  Seems a little arbitrary to me, but I suppose they have to draw the line somewhere.

Now, at age 33, I would be compelled to take the test again before I started bragging about my IQ.  As for my opinion on the matter, average IQ seems to be no impediment to being a good soldier, so that's all I care about.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 12:56:54 PM »
One problem with using IQ as a qualification for hiring in the US is that many people don't know their IQ.

That's why the company is offering a test.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 01:16:12 PM »
I'm smart enough to not want to leave Montana  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 01:22:25 PM »
That's why the company is offering a test.

Not all that helpful.  Americans tend to not be fans of jumping through hoops and taking tests and such to be allowed to apply for a job.  However, I predict many Asian immigrants will apply.   =)

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 02:00:13 PM »
Another problem is that the US doesn't allow IQ tests for job applications. As I understand, it violates discrimination laws or some such nonsense.

That is one of the reasons why college degrees are used as a proxy. Colleges are allowed to discriminate based on IQ tests or any other tests.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 03:41:46 PM »
High IQ..I didn't know IQ was a drug addict. :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 03:46:16 PM »
. . . average IQ seems to be no impediment to being a good soldier, so that's all I care about.
And high IQ can be bad for a career in law enforcement: http://www.1215.org/lawnotes/lawnotes/cop104.htm

Chinese IQ?  Or American IQ?
Not quite as silly a question as it sounds . . . I've been involved in measuring lumen output of various electronic projection systems, and projectors from various manufacturers in the Far East invariably fail to meet the advertised ANSI lumen values.

We joke (WARNING - POLITICAL CORRECTNESS VIOLATION AHEAD!!) that because Orientals tend to be physically smaller than Occidentals, then their lumens are smaller, too.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 05:42:07 PM »
BridgeWalker's point about people associating with their peers is a good one. The members of this forum are far above average intelligence (whether academic or otherwise). The people I talk to with any regularity are smart people, and my guess is that it's the same for most people here.

That may be why we react with such disbelief at stories in the press about really dumb people, or are dumbstruck (pardon the pun) when we encounter them in our daily lives.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 08:03:23 PM »
^ "pardon the pun"

What pun?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 10:35:46 PM »
Well....I'm qualified in the IQ department...but I have little interest in a computer job in China right now.....

....could I just apply for Mao's job?.....  :police: :cool: :police:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 10:41:26 PM »
Mao is dead. Doesn't take a high IQ to do that job.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 01:07:13 AM »
^ "pardon the pun"

What pun?

This guy won't be getting the job.   :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 07:29:34 AM »
Anyone with glasses in Cambodia was deemed to be intelligent and executed.
Finally, a good reason to go for the contacts...   :O

:laugh:

Interestingly enough I took an online test a few years back and it matched exactly what my HS transcripts said. It isn't all that high, just a smidge over 125. I consider myself just smart enough to wish I wasn't so smart and could live in blissful ignorance like everybody else seems to around here in good ol' CT.  :P

I am however smarter than any and every MENSA member as I am smart enough not to fork over my $ just to join their stupid club.  [tinfoil]

=D

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:00:51 AM by 280plus »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 08:04:08 AM »
You have to wonder though. In offices in China, do they send out for "American" on Fridays?  ???