Author Topic: Your sales tax?  (Read 12394 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Your sales tax?
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2010, 06:04:49 PM »
Anytime!  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2010, 06:07:26 PM »
And yeah, sure, I believe the line "It's only a temporary 1% increase for a new school/library/wtf ever was the new pet project". Yeah, right. Taxes are NEVER removed after they are applied.
And lucky people who live in one of several cities, including mine, get to pay municipal income tax as well.

When Philadelphia's sales tax went up from 7% to 8% (temporarily, of course, for the recession) I had a great time reminding people that our city income tax was originally enacted in 1939 (temporarily, of course, for the Depression.)  Its original rate was less than 1%.  71 years later, it's both still around, and much, much larger (~4.2% now.)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2010, 09:10:14 PM »
Simple, we'll head over to France with a big bundle of cash for Laurent. We'll disguise ourselves in Bermuda shorts, sandals with socks and Alligator shirts. Then we'll hang like 3 cameras around our necks and wander around Cote D'Azur asking stupid questions in the worst French they have ever heard. At some point in the process we'll drop Laurent the cash at a predetermined spot. They'll never figure it out.  ;)

Black socks or white socks ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2010, 09:51:51 PM »
Black or brown, your choice.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Raykirk

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2010, 03:06:57 AM »
In fact, it depends on the country where you are residing. The percentage rate of sales tax in Washington is lowered than other countries. We are about 9.75% sales tax here in Chicago.
I am a dirty spambot and I'm getting BANNED!

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2010, 11:49:27 AM »
Los Angeles. 9.75%, state and local combined, and there's income tax.
D. R. ZINN

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2010, 12:02:15 PM »
17.5% is the current VAT, going up to 20% in January.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2010, 12:24:25 PM »
Los Angeles. 9.75%, state and local combined, and there's income tax.

Holy smokes! I didn't know LA jumped up that high. Was the increase one of those "temporary" ones that never goes away? I think we're on the third "temporary increase" in my municipality.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2010, 08:40:48 PM »
And yeah, sure, I believe the line "It's only a temporary 1% increase for a new school/library/wtf ever was the new pet project".
Last time I heard that, I was living in Minnesota.

They told the truth - the 1% increase WAS temporary . . . since they tacked another 1% on in short order.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2010, 08:54:27 PM »
Dinner in Flagstaff a couple of weeks ago included 10.5% tax.  I've no idea how that breaks to state, county, or city.

Oregon has no sales tax, 'though not for lack of trying by the legislature.  On the other hand, we do not have 24 hour state police patrol and, until recently, my county sheriff's web site advised that a deputy would not respond unless lives were at stake:  call us during business hours, we'll take a report and advise.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2010, 09:28:59 PM »
Oregon has no sales tax, 'though not for lack of trying by the legislature.  On the other hand, we do not have 24 hour state police patrol and, until recently, my county sheriff's web site advised that a deputy would not respond unless lives were at stake:  call us during business hours, we'll take a report and advise.

You need to move to a new county, man.

About three or four weeks ago my brother's tires were slashed, along with a couple of other vehicles in the parking lot.  Both city and state cops showed up to look for the SOB who did it when we called the police.  I guess they were bored... :lol:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2010, 11:13:38 PM »
You need to move to a new county, man.

Nope, I'd like it that way.  I don't need no stinkin' badges to protect me and mine......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.