Author Topic: Your sales tax?  (Read 12393 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Your sales tax?
« on: September 21, 2010, 03:36:10 PM »
Sweet baby Xenu!

Sales tax in eastern Washington, back when I was in high school, was about 6%.  WA didn't have a state income tax, and derived their revenues from sales tax (along with property taxes and relatively high vehicle registration fees).

Neighboring Oregon (I lived near the Walla Walla, WA / Milton Freewater, OR border) had a state income tax but no sales tax.

When I moved to AZ, I got treated to the delights of a 7% sales tax AND a state income tax. ;/  Seemed very irresponsible to me, that a state needed BOTH of those revenue sources when I knew of and lived in two states that only required one or the other.  AND they had a higher sales tax than WA.

Now, my sales tax, depending on what city/county I'm in, is somewhere between 9 and 10 percent.

That's intolerable.

I've resolved that I will be buying EVERYTHING POSSIBLE online, or used via Craigslist/Backpage/etc.

9.5% sales tax is absolutely irresponsible.

What's your sales tax?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:41:44 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Regolith

• friend
Re: Your sales tax?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »
I'm in Oregon right now, so no sales tax.  When I lived in Nevada, I think it was something like 7-7.5%, but no income tax.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

PTK

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 03:42:42 PM »
0%. I like Montana. :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 03:43:04 PM »
My part of TX, state and local sales tax totals 8.25%. Part of the city sales tax is explicity devoted to local property tax relief.

NO state income tax. (But some <expletive deleted> democRATS are lobbying for one.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 03:45:33 PM »
OH varies by county anywhere from 6.00% to 7.75% but we also have an income tax (~10.4% combined state and local tax burden) as well.  According to The Tax Foundation "Ohio's personal income tax system is one of the nation's most complex and is composed of nine separate tax brackets...."  http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/topic/50.html
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 03:46:55 PM »
8.375 % in Oklahoma City, and income tax too.  =(
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 03:47:03 PM »
Wheaton, IL  -8.25%

Chicago's is 9.75%

Illinois also has a 3% income tax, and is $15billion is the red this year, and our current Governor wants to raise the rate to 4%.

Did I mention that Illinois sucks.  I hope we go bankrupt.

I remember that when I was growing up in Indianapolis the sales tax was 4% and people thought it was outlandish then. (just checked it's now 7% there)   http://www.zip2tax.com/z2t_lookup.asp?inputZip=46237
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 03:49:13 PM »
Illinois also has a 3% income tax, and is $15billion is the red this year,

Holy Schnikey!

Our entire AZ state budget is only $8.5 billion.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 04:02:50 PM »
8.75% plus state income tax. I think most of CA varies between 8.25-8.8%.

I'm big on online purchases. I've noticed for the last couple of years the state has had a line on the state tax form where you're supposed to list the amount of online purchases you've made, so they can charge you the sales tax on them. Any other states doing this?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 04:27:34 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 04:09:56 PM »
I'm big on online purchases. I've noticed for the last couple of years the state has had a line on the state tax form where you're supposed to list the amount of online purchases you've made, so they can charge you the sales tax on them. Any other states doing this?

I think most states do this. Utah does, anyway.

Utah has 6.85% sales tax in addition to an approximately 7% income tax. I've always shied away from computing what % of my income goes to state, federal, and local taxes. Since I can't really change it, I figure ignorance is bliss. I could move, I guess, but that's too much work.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 04:10:22 PM »
Wisconsin has a 5% sales tax, plus most counties tack on an extra .5%. For income tax, there is a flat tax+4.6-7.8% depending on your income level. Property taxes too.  :mad:

8.75% plus state tax. I think most of CA varies between 8.25-8.8%.

WI calls that a "use tax"
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 04:10:54 PM »
8.75% plus state tax. I think most of CA varies between 8.25-8.8%.

Yep, OH.  It is called a "use tax" and meant for online purchases and anything you bought out of state and brought back with you.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 04:14:36 PM »
Iowa

Sales Taxes
State Sales Tax: 6% (food and prescription drugs exempt); local option taxes can add up to another 1%.
Gasoline Tax: 22.0 cents/gallon
Diesel Fuel Tax:  23.5 cents/gallon
Cigarette Tax: $1.36/pack of 20

Personal Income Taxes
Tax Rate Range: Low - 0.36%; High - 8.98%
Income Brackets: Lowest - $1,428; Highest - $64,620
Number of Brackets:  9
Personal Tax Credits:  Single - $40; Married filing jointly - $80;
Dependents - $40; 65 years and older - $20
Standard Deduction: (2010) Single - $1,810; Married filing jointly - $4,460
Medical/Dental Deduction: Federal amount
Federal Income Tax Deduction: Full
Retirement Income Taxes: If you receive a pension, annuity, self-employed retirement plan, deferred compensation, IRA or other retirement plan benefits, you may be eligible to exclude from Iowa income tax a portion of the retirement income that is taxable on your Federal return.  The exclusion can be up to $6,000 for individuals and up to $12,000 for married taxpayers.  Click here for details. Social Security benefits are not included.  Iowa does not tax Social Security benefits in the same manner as the IRS.  In calculating the taxable amount of Social Security, single persons can exclude $25,000, married filling jointly can exclude $32,000.  The state is implementing a gradual phase-out of the tax on Social Security income. Click here for details. To qualify for the exclusion you must be either age 55 or older on December 31, disabled or a surviving spouse or a survivor having an insurable interest in an individual who would have qualified for the exclusion during the year.  Out-of-state government pensions qualify for exemptions.
Retired Military Pay: Up to $12,000 can be excluded for joint filers and up to $6,000 for all other filing statuses for those 55 and older, disabled or surviving spouse of qualifying person.
Military Disability Retired Pay: Retirees who entered the military before Sept. 24, 1975, and members receiving disability retirements based on combat injuries or who could receive disability payments from the VA are covered by laws giving disability broad exemption from federal income tax. Most military retired pay based on service-related disabilities also is free from federal income tax, but there is no guarantee of total protection.
VA Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation: VA benefits are not taxable because they generally are for disabilities and are not subject to federal or state taxes.
Military SBP/SSBP/RCSBP/RSFPP: Generally subject to state taxes for those states with income tax. Check with state department of revenue office.

Property Taxes
Iowa has more than 2,000 taxing authorities.  All property is assessed at 100% of market value.   Most property is taxed by more than one taxing authority.  The tax rate differs in each locality and is a composite of county, city, school district and special levies.  A property tax credit is available to residents whose total household income is less than $19,503 and are age 65 or older, totally disabled or are a surviving spouse (not remarried) and born before 1934.  A homestead tax credit is given to residents who live in the state for at least six months of each year and actually live on the property on July 1.  Once a person qualifies, the credit continues.  The current credit is the first $4,850 of the actual value. Property taxes may be suspended or reduced if the property owner receives Supplemental Security Income or lives in a nursing home and the Department of Human Services is paying part or all of the costs.  The suspended taxes will have to be paid when a property is sold or transferred. For more details, click here.

Inheritance and Estate Taxes
The Iowa inheritance tax ranges from 1% to 15% depending on the amount of the inheritance and the relationship of the recipient to the decedent.  If all the property of the estate has a value of less than $25,000, no tax is due. The surviving spouse's share, regardless of the amount, is not subject to tax. Currently annual gifts in the amount of $12,000 or less are not taxable. Click here for details. Iowa estate tax is not applicable for deaths on or after 1/1/05 due to changes in the IRS Code which replaced the state death tax credit with a state death tax deduction.

For further information, visit the Iowa Department of Revenue or call 515-281-3114.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 04:17:09 PM »
We have VAT here. It's...variable. Depending on what goods/services you buy, it's either 6, 12 or 25%. =(
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 04:43:58 PM »
We have VAT here. It's...variable. Depending on what goods/services you buy, it's either 6, 12 or 25%. =(

Viking,
Can you give examples of what would fall into each category?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 04:46:59 PM »
6% sales in CT plus income tax.

Movin' to Montana...  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 05:03:35 PM »
Viking,
Can you give examples of what would fall into each category?
Sure. 6%: Books, news papers & magazines, (most) maps etc & other printed media, but not electronic media except for audio books, and not for stuff like stationary, note pads etc. Also, all transports (train, plane, taxi, bus) are also 6%. Also for stuff like for admission to most cultural events. Also for all membership fees for gyms, pools etc that is mainly for excercise (meaning that water parks probably have a higher cost than the gym at the corner).

12%: Most food stuffs, strong beers, wine & liquors not included. Hotel/hostel etc rentals are also 12%, but hotel breakfast if not included is at 25%. Also, selling your own art (that you produced): 12%, same if your estate sells the stuff you produced. For other art, it's 25%.

25%: Any tobacco products, drugs & medications, alcohol above 3.5% alcohol content, and most other goods and services not mentioned.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 05:11:03 PM »
bwahahah   you think the internet save you from sales tax?!  think again   coming soon to a town near you

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10220649-38.html
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 05:19:28 PM »
bwahahah   you think the internet save you from sales tax?!  think again   coming soon to a town near you

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10220649-38.html

That article's a year-and-a-half old, I'm guessing the bill is dead. Either way, as mentioned several times, Use Tax already exists. Enforcement of it is lax (as enforcement without retailer compliance is impossible), though many state governments would like to see a bill like that passed, I'm sure.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 05:21:07 PM »
Anywhere from 7-9 % here in the Houston area, but no income tax.  They make up for that by nabbing one on property taxes.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 05:23:42 PM »
6% sales in CT plus income tax.

Movin' to Montana...  ;)

The income tax is pretty high, though  =(

Most of us don't have much income...  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 05:25:01 PM »
That article's a year-and-a-half old, I'm guessing the bill is dead. Either way, as mentioned several times, Use Tax already exists. Enforcement of it is lax (as enforcement without retailer compliance is impossible), though many state governments would like to see a bill like that passed, I'm sure.

i wish  i just paid sales tax for the first time on an internet purchase
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 05:27:16 PM »
Redhawk, of course you know this, but here in Queen Creek/San Tan Valley/Pinal County it's 9.55%.
"Because every child is worth a penny".

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 05:33:32 PM »
i wish  i just paid sales tax for the first time on an internet purchase

Then you purchased something from an internet retailer that has a presence in your state; paying sales tax in that situation is nothing new. The national bill you linked to certainly didn't pass, or we'd all be paying sales tax on all our US internet purchases.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 05:46:37 PM »

"Because every child is worth a penny".

[barf] [barf] [barf]

Did I mention  [barf]?

[barf]

Ugh, I hated that campaign.  Every damned social-working-parasitic-wannabe-teacher-glorified-babysitting-paper-pushing-special-education-teacher's-aide in the state had that bumper sticker on their car.

I hate it when the beneficiaries of a bill, as government employees, are allowed to vote.

The Gilbert School District is the largest employer in the town of Gilbert.  Guess how they voted? :mad:

Every single cussed one of the soccer moms in that town draws a pittance $10-15k as a teacher's aide, it seems.
--Lysander Spooner