Author Topic: Anyone know ancient Hebrew script?  (Read 11869 times)

taurusowner

Anyone know ancient Hebrew script?
« on: September 22, 2010, 07:24:59 PM »
I am going to get a new tattoo before I leave.  It's just gonna be a simple wooden cross on my right shoulder with "Christ is risen" underneath.  Except I want the phrase to be in ancient Hebrew characters.  Is anyone on this forum learned enough to perhaps draw out "Christ [or Messiah] is risen" in ancient Hebrew and email me a .jpg of it so I can have the tattoo artist work something up?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Anyone know ancient Hebrew script?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 07:31:12 PM »
paging microbalog
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 07:49:41 PM »
Any chance of taking up a collection to bribe Micro to have it say "I like Matzo" or something?  :angel:
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:13:07 PM »
Ahoy.

What ancient Hebrew are we talking about?

Pre-Babylonian? Or post-Babylonian 'square'?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »
Any chance of taking up a collection to bribe Micro to have it say "I like Matzo" or something?  :angel:

I'm in.  =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 08:31:58 PM »
If Micro abstains, I could do it for ya, but seems like he's on it.

My academic hobbyhorse for a long time was Hebrew early printed texts, so I'm a veritable goldmine of Hebrew geekery.  Not so much with the older stuff, but I know my way around.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 08:38:42 PM »
I am going to get a new tattoo before I leave.  It's just gonna be a simple wooden cross on my right shoulder with "Christ is risen" underneath.  Except I want the phrase to be in ancient Hebrew characters.  Is anyone on this forum learned enough to perhaps draw out "Christ [or Messiah] is risen" in ancient Hebrew and email me a .jpg of it so I can have the tattoo artist work something up?

Shouldn't you have it written in Hebrew and Aramaic?   Maybe koine Greek to be on the safe side?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 08:56:29 PM »
Any chance of taking up a collection to bribe Micro to have it say "I like Matzo" or something?  :angel:

Really.  It should be a rule: "never get a tattoo in a language you can't read."  

Maybe koine Greek to be on the safe side?

And Greek minuscule characters look prettier.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 09:14:12 PM »
Greek would have frat connotations for many.  Unintended consequences...

taurusowner

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 09:33:46 PM »
Really.  It should be a rule: "never get a tattoo in a language you can't read." 

Who says I'm not gonna get it double checked elsewhere?  ;)

Micro, thank you for the assistance.  I was hoping you'd view this thread.  Would it be too taxing for you to sketch out both?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 09:36:41 PM »
Babylonian Hebrew is effectively (in terms of the letter shapes) modern hebrew, as portrayed in fonts like David.

Ancient, pre-biblical-times Hebrew looks a bit like cuneiform.

Look at this handy chart here:

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

taurusowner

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 09:41:09 PM »
I think I'm gonna go with the Babylonian.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 09:41:43 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't "Christ is risen" only have been written in Greek or Aramaic, not Hebrew?

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 09:44:06 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't "Christ is risen" only have been written in Greek or Aramaic, not Hebrew?

By whom?

Also, Aramaic uses the Hebrew alphabet, and the phrase in question would be similar or identical in Aramaic/Hebrew.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 09:55:53 PM »
By whom?

By the people who would have said "Christ is risen" back when it happened.  

Greek and Aramaic were the common languages then and there even among the Hebrews, no?  

The scholars mostly seem to agree that Jesus would have known Hebrew but would have spoken and taught primarily in Aramaic (correct me if I'm wrong here - I'm not an expert on Biblical scholars and their opinions).  

And the New Testament was certainly written in Greek.

Even back then, Hebrew was limited primarily to scholars and official religious (Jewish) purposes.  At least, I think so.  If anyone knows for sure, I'd be glad to learn.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:00:56 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

taurusowner

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 09:57:18 PM »
I'm not trying to be excessively historical.  Originally I was just going to get the simple tattoo with the writing in English.  But then I thought it would be a lot neater to have it done in the language of God's people.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 10:00:16 PM »
It should also be in Latin, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbI-fDzUJXI  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 10:19:03 PM »
But then I thought it would be a lot neater to have it done in the language of God's people.

You should be aware, though, that you are likely to offend any Jews who see it.  Personally, I'd go with the older script, as it is much less generally recognized, outside of Israel, anyway. 

taurusowner

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 10:23:42 PM »
You should be aware, though, that you are likely to offend any Jews who see it.  Personally, I'd go with the older script, as it is much less generally recognized, outside of Israel, anyway. 

It's gonna be on my right shoulder.  I don't have any, or plan to get any tattoos that are visible unless I have my shirt off.  In addition, it's only gonna be a few inches in size.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 10:39:12 PM »
Cool.  For some reason, I was envisioning upper arm, even though you did say shoulder.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 11:10:38 PM »
Do something different....get it done in Arabic....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 11:21:30 PM »
!המשיח קם! באמת קם (Hameshiach qam! Be'emet qam!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschal_greeting
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 11:22:03 PM »
Klingon - Hu'ta' QISt! Hu'bejta'!
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 11:22:31 PM »
Arabic (standard) -  !المسيح قام! حقا قام (al-Masīḥ qām! Ḥaqqan qām!)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 12:18:25 AM »
You should be aware, though, that you are likely to offend any Jews who see it.  Personally, I'd go with the older script, as it is much less generally recognized, outside of Israel, anyway.  

Thanks for ruining that!   I was hoping he'd find out first hand. And here I was, laughing to myself that his tattoo in "language of God's people" would really honk off the people that actually spoke the "language of God's people."  

Do it, dude!  Pay no attention to BW, you know how wimmin get.  It's an awesome idea and you should get it in very large letters to proudly send your message.  Don't hide it!  Show your pride!  Put it on your arm or neck or something.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:21:27 AM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.