Author Topic: Can any of our Sikorsky folks explain this?  (Read 7807 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Can any of our Sikorsky folks explain this?
« on: September 25, 2010, 07:25:32 PM »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Can any of our Sikorsky folks explain this?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 07:43:11 PM »
Caught being stupid, methinks.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 07:53:09 PM »
Wow, that never made it to local news.  The Reno newspapers suck.  I'm impressed with the pilots though.  So, hows a pilots supposed to know what his craft can do unless he tries it out? :O
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 07:55:19 PM »
He (call me a sexist but I'll jump to that conclusion) may have been hot dogging but he didn't mean to dip it.  He is lucky to fly away from that stunt, the chances of catching a rotor in the water are very high, and that can lead to death pretty easily. I don't know anything about that particular helicopter, but I don't think even amphibious helos are rated for submerging anything other than the gear.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 08:06:13 PM »
and this guy wasn't holding his mouth right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMVKEv3jcio&NR=1
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 08:10:25 PM »
I loved this quote from the story:
As for the pilots, we salute you for keeping the hot-dogging tradition alive, even if you are idiots who probably could have hurt someone.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Bud

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 08:44:54 PM »
My first thought, having been placed in the same position a numnber of times, is what about the crewmembers?

One of the first things i learned after achieving crew status was that never, ever allow an Army Warrant Officer aviator say, "watch this!".
Bud

“An armed society is a polite society.

Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”- Robert A. Heinlein

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 08:46:57 PM »
My first thought, having been placed in the same position a numnber of times, is what about the crewmembers?

One of the first things i learned after achieving crew status was that never, ever allow an Army Warrant Officer aviator say, "watch this!".
Unless he says "Hold my beer" first.  =D

Reminds me of my late Aussie bud. he was supposed to fly us places "that no white man ever goes" and I jokingly said, "Ok, as long as we won't be flying under any bridges upside down while chugging on a Fosters." To this day I seriously think he was not happy with that restriction. Unfortunately he passed before we could take the trip.  :'(
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:49:59 PM by 280plus »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 09:00:51 PM »
Still enjoy the memory of running US-95 in Nevada, doing an honest 75 mph (65 knots) and being paced by a Harrier at eye level 200 yards to my left.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 09:25:34 PM »
I can recall being at sea and having an F-16 buzz us while the guy was flying upside down and waving.  :laugh:

Wanted to join so I could be a pilot. Eyes wre no good. Turns out you had to pass the pilot's physical to be on a sub too. I had orders cut to Groton for sub school and the 300 ft tower but they were squelched when my detailer discovered the discrepency with my eyesight. He gave me my choice of commands and I chose a west coast destroyer. My mother was pissed at me, she said I chose the west coast just to stay away from her. She was right.  :lol:

No, not really, I mean don't get me wrong, I didn't MIND that we were on opposite coasts but the real reason I stayed out there was because they (.gov) wouldn't pay for me to travel to the east coast and I was too cheap to pay for it myself.  ;)

Funny side note, I took a tour on the USS Caron a while back and I ended up talking to a 2nd class PO (E-5)that had just shipped over. His mother was mad at him too. We laughed.  =D

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 09:30:38 PM »
I also read a story where the junior pilot in the wing would have to fly from the carrier to shore on booze runs. This one particular guy was telling how he stashed cans of beer in every nook and cranny he could find in the fighter and when he trapped on the carrier all the cans of beer flew forward in plain view of the flight officer above on the bridge. He said the officer just shook his head and never said a word about it to anyone else. 

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 09:55:53 PM »
Still enjoy the memory of running US-95 in Nevada, doing an honest 75 mph (65 knots) and being paced by a Harrier at eye level 200 yards to my left.

It is damn unnerving to be running down the highway is a heat generating vehicle as a couple of Cobras slip in and out of the hills parallel to you. Hope they know the difference between road and hot range all around the road.

To the OP, bring back the H-3, boat hulled helo.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
Can any of our Sikorsky folks explain this?

Ummm, There's probably a warning sticker or two, or maybe even in the owners manual, I'm pretty sure somewhere in there it says:

"Your New Sikorsky Helicopter is NOT a Submarine."

If it doesn't, I'll bet all the new ones will. 

[Right RevDisk ?!?!?!]

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 12:02:01 AM »
Looks like he lost tail rotor control, more than likely because of the altitude of lake Tahoe.  Looks like he was just trying to hover, and had not figured in for the thinner air.  That is why he rotated.

It is stupid because it could have been avoided.  But he didn't try to dip it.  He did do a good job of recovery though.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 02:29:12 AM »

Glancing at the video, it did not look intentional. Vortex ring state or failure to calculate accurate density altitude.

I love the comments complaining about the $50k-$500k repair bill (which would depend on how much stuff got broken).  The aircraft should have been destroyed and the entire crew likely killed.  The pilot WAS lucky that he slapped the water belly down.  It saved his life.  At an angle, he'd be dead.  Upon surface contact, it either discontinued VRS or made the pilot realize he just ****ed up. 

Respectfully, he was damn lucky he was in a MH-60R.  There are other helicopters where he would have been theoretically able to do that.  But not that many.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 02:42:55 AM »
Ummm, There's probably a warning sticker or two, or maybe even in the owners manual, I'm pretty sure somewhere in there it says:

"Your New Sikorsky Helicopter is NOT a Submarine."

If it doesn't, I'll bet all the new ones will.  

[Right RevDisk ?!?!?!]

All of our S-70 (Blackhawk, et al) have various specifications for water tolerance.  This covers everything from wiring standards, to "swamp zones" (where liquids drain to), to environmental seals, etc.

We do have procedures and standards for submerged S-70's.  Mostly related to getting the crew out (preferably alive) of the aircraft while it is submerged.  We publish procedures and whatnot for submersion.  Mostly "GTFO" and the proper way to do so.  Lot of engineering does into this.  Contact with water is just one small part, but yes, it is considered.

The aircraft maintenance section will have to rip apart the aircraft to recertify it as airworthy.  That will be expensive and time consuming.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 04:29:48 AM »
But it gives us something to do for the next few months.  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 07:14:54 PM »
The MH-60s were flying home from Mather Air Force Base near Sacramento where they had taken part in an air show. Needing to refuel, the pilots were headed to Lemoore Naval Air Station when the incident happened.

I have seen this a few times now.

I just wondered when Lake Tahoe was put between Sacramento and San Diego via NAS Lemoore?

This wasn't just something they decided to do on a whim as they were passing by, it was thought of before they left Mather AFB.

I see a fine job, such as fuels officer on a carrier, awaiting these guys.

bob

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 11:51:18 AM »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 11:53:46 AM »
So the two instructors had their flight tickets pulled and the two students have to repeat training.  I bet this is pretty much career-ending for the instructors.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »
Wanted to join so I could be a pilot. Eyes wre no good. Turns out you had to pass the pilot's physical to be on a sub too. I had orders cut to Groton for sub school and the 300 ft tower but they were squelched when my detailer discovered the discrepency with my eyesight.

You got screwed. I'm 20/200 or worse uncorrected. Was never an issue for me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 01:19:43 PM »

Yeah, is there anything in a sub that's more than about four feet away ?   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 02:32:58 PM »
Don't ask me. All I know is I didn't have to do the tower thing in Groton.  ;)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 02:35:14 PM »
Could be a timing issue, a.k.a. supply and demand.  If the Navy wasn't in need of your MOS, then they could be more selective.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?