Author Topic: Missile Launch off California Coast  (Read 36055 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Missile Launch off California Coast
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2010, 02:07:02 PM »
A Tomahawk against a submarine would be... an unusual role for that weapon, considering that there are much better alternatives.

That's what I thought.

Sorta like: "Would you launch an ICBM horizontally?"  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2010, 02:17:34 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/11/10/blogger-solved-california-missile-mystery/

Pic 1 - Ok I will buy that as a "close to the horizon high altitude jet contrail"
Pic 2 - Whatever it is, it's not a conventional aircraft
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2010, 02:20:47 PM »
That's what I thought.

Sorta like: "Would you launch an ICBM horizontally?"  ;)

"Sure. Why would you want to?"

;)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2010, 03:20:38 PM »
A cruise ICBM, hmmmm.... It's probably out there and so totally top secret that if you hear the silent black helicopters that are actually green coming you all better start running and figuring out a way to disguise your heat signatures. You didn't hear any of that from me of course.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2010, 03:53:53 PM »
It's an intergalactic flare signaling the arrival of the Visitors...ALL HAIL DIANA!!!
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »
Who's Diana?  =)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2010, 05:40:24 PM »
Who's Diana?

Video

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2010, 05:46:49 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/11/10/blogger-solved-california-missile-mystery/

So that's a commercial airline flight?

They need to fix the autopilot on that ship... that or the Capt. has an essential tremor that rivals Kat Hepburn's. Or maybe the Captain just decided to alter his flight path a few times to entertain the passengers, maybe? 7 course corrections in that trail that I counted...but wait, airplanes don't have the control surfaces to manuever laterally that quickly as evidenced in the trail.

Another thought...maybe it was a Quantas jet, and all the engines were leaking oil, making that trail.

Wait, no, sorry, it's approaching a landing at LAX at an altitude high enough to produce contrails...

Commercial flight?

Uh, ok, whatever.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 06:02:38 PM by grislyatoms »

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2010, 06:02:03 PM »

Wait, no, sorry, it's approaching a landing at LAX at an altitude high enough to produce contrails...

No, it's supposedly America West, on its way to PHX another 500 miles inland.  It would still be at 35k feet or whatever is normal altitude.

I'm with ya, the shape and density of the previous smoke make me think missile, too.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2010, 06:14:10 PM »
Looks like smoke not vapor. I've never seen a plume like that on a jet. Anyhow, whatever, the fact that LA is still there is all that really counts, I guess.  =|

:laugh:

seeker_two

• friend
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2010, 08:18:39 PM »
7 course corrections in that trail that I counted...but wait, airplanes don't have the control surfaces to manuever laterally that quickly as evidenced in the trail.

OIC.  I didn't realize ICBM's made a lot of rapid course corrections.

Looks like smoke not vapor. I've never seen a plume like that on a jet. Anyhow, whatever, the fact that LA is still there is all that really counts, I guess.  =|

:laugh:

Hey I got two questions for you,

1. Between square A and square B, which one looks like smoke and which one looks like water vapor?

2. Do missiles produce smoke?

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2010, 09:47:34 PM »
Alex Jones is a crank, and comparing folk's opinions/observations here to his conspiracy crap is beneath you, Rocketman.

For the record, grisly, I wasn't going off at 280plus, although it probably seemed that way. I did a rather poor job of expressing my disdain for the Alex Jones' of the tinfoil hat crowd.  I owe 280plus an apology.
My apologies, 280plus, if I offended you in any way.  That was certainly not my intent.

To the point of the missile plume aircraft contrail, I have seen exactly one live ICBM launch plume in my life.  It did look somewhat like the image under discussion.
However, I have also seen aircraft contrails that looked very similar to the supposed launch plume.
High altitude winds often shear, moving in different directions along a given course.  It is very common.  That tends to move portions of a jet's contrail in different directions, make it twist, and cause it to splay out as was seen in the video last Monday.
A high altitude contrail rising over the horizon and being laid toward the viewer, will appear under the right conditions (almost like a forced perspective), to be rising from ground level and away from the viewer.
One more thing to keep in mind about Monday's event.  The object making the plume was in view for several minutes.  An ICBM quickly travels downrange and out of view, in much less time than the object visible in Monday's video.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2010, 10:47:10 PM »
My apologies, 280plus, if I offended you in any way
Not necessary, no offense taken. I just was trying to make sure you didn't think I had TOO much tinfoil wrapped around me noggin', that's all.  =D

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2010, 10:52:02 PM »

I just was trying to make sure you didn't think I had TOO much tinfoil wrapped around me noggin', that's all.  =D

Didn't think the tinfoil was on your head.....with the way that you rustle when you walk and all....  ;)

280plus

• friend
« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2010, 10:53:21 PM »
Damn, you guys know me too well.  =|

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2010, 10:55:49 PM »
Didn't think the tinfoil was on your head.....with the way that you rustle when you walk and all....  ;)

Uh, excuse me, I've got to go get rid of something.  <rustle, rustle, rustle...>
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2010, 12:11:34 AM »
That's what I thought.

Sorta like: "Would you launch an ICBM horizontally?"  ;)

"Sure. Why would you want to?"

;)

*cough-cough*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96A0wb1Ov9k

Hey, hey Russia... *poke-poke* Screw your truck launched missiles!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2010, 12:22:33 PM »
That was cool.   I didn't know they dould do that!   [popcorn] :cool: :cool: [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero