Author Topic: Amtrak - good or bad experiences?  (Read 7497 times)

thebaldguy

• friends
Amtrak - good or bad experiences?
« on: December 02, 2010, 09:30:03 PM »
Anyone here have any Amtrak experiences good or bad? My live in girlfriend of 22+ years (and now wife of two months) and I are going on a honeymoon to New Orleans in February. We have talked about a trying a train trip for a long time, and we finally booked one. We passed on the cheaper coach seats. We have booked a small roomette bedroom for the 8 hour trip to Chicago, and a larger bedroom with toilet and shower for the 20 hour overnighter from Chicago to New Orleans. We're not pressed for time, so we thought this would be a good adventure. Just for the record, we're flying home for one third the price (and 23 hours less travel time) of the train experience. Anyone have any luck (good or bad) with Amtrak? Oh, and does anyone have any input about interesting things in New Orleans and southern Mississippi/Alabama? This Northern guy and his wife have never been to that part of the south, so we're kind of excited about this trip.

Thanks!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Amtrak - good or bad experiences?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 10:03:33 PM »
It's been a few years since I've ridden Amtrak.  Last trip was on the California Zephyr from Oakland to Denver.  If you're going to be on the train overnight, a room (roomette, whatever) is well worth the extra $.  The trains are generally pretty comfortable.  Many of the longer distance trains have a club car with large windows where you can order a drink and watch the scenery.  Food in the dining car is generally decent (nothing to write home about, but far better than what the airlines throw at you).  I believe the meals are free when you book a room; coach passengers have to pay. Amtrak is rarely on time, so be prepared for delays.  Staff can vary; I've experienced the gamut from friendly to downright surly.

I've never been to New Orleans, so I can't help you there.

Best of luck on your trip.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 10:04:14 PM »
For the 8 hour stint I would have suggested just taking coach tickets.

Coach seats on Amtrak blow the pants off of 1st class on an airplane, and you can get up and go to the "bar car" or whatever it's called any time.

The 20-something hour trip... yeah, a bedroom sounds about right.

Only Amtrak experience I have is from Seattle to Portland then Portland to Hermiston, during college a few times.  I loved it.  Way better than Greyhound, or driving.  I don't understand why more people don't use the train.  I wish we had a train depot here in PHX.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 10:05:54 PM »
tbg,
I have not had any recent experiences with Amtrak, but I do hear that not being in a hurry to get somewhere is a good thing.

In reference to New Orleans, future-SWMBO (dating at the time) and I went down to NO for a conference, pre-Katrina.

1. Eat at Mother's Restaurant, good food.
2. Go to Cafe Du Monde and have a beignet, you might have to dig through the powdered sugar to find the beignet.
3. Go to Mardi Gras World for the behind the scenes tour (http://www.mardigrasworld.com/mardi-gras-world-tours)
4. If you have imbibe, make sure to ask for you drink in a plastic cup so you can take it and go. Future-SWMBO found the daiquiri bar in the mall on the river walk and throughly enjoyed it.
5. Take an official cemetery tour.
6. Ride the St. Charles Streetcar all the way to the end and back.
7. Go to the D-Day Museum.
8. Enjoy French Quater, but pre-Katrina it always smelled like urine, don't know if that changed.  

We have always like the Insider's Guide series to read up on our destination http://tinyurl.com/2g83p8l
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 10:07:11 PM »
Amtrak travel is "not bad".  However, keep your expectations of the dining car down to pre-made sammiches heated in the mocrowave, and tiny cans of soda - both at exhorbitant prices.

I commend you on getting something better than coach seats.  Do bring stuff to keep yourselves occupied.  No matter what Arlo Guthrie might have suggested, looking out the windows at the slums you are passing through is not entertaining.  On the other hand, people-watching in the observation car can be amusing.  Look at http://www.trainweb.com/routes/route_58/rg_58.htm for more info.

On the other hand, you might want to look at the American Orient Express http://american-orient-express-train.com/antebellum-south.shtml if it ever comes back.  That was train travel in the grand old style.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 11:32:05 PM »
The last time I took Amtrak was a trip from Chicago to New York back in '89.  The train broke down in the wilds of western PA and we were stuck overnight for 10 hrs in cars with no heat.  It was winter.  It was cold.  That didn't make me a fan of train travel.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 11:43:40 PM »
The only train station for Amtrak in Montana convenient to Billings is 200+ miles away.  Where I am at is about 160 miles of desolate windswept plains.  I picked up a neighbor from there on Monday this week.  She went to Michigan and back and had nothing good to say for the ride, the missed connections, the overly large passengers who stunk and sweated or the service on the train.  It took over 30 hours each way through every backwater station on the Northern Tier.  I doubt she would recommend it to anyone who had any other way to travel.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 11:46:27 PM »
Amtrak brought Joe Biden to Washington. How much good experience could balance that out?

But theriouthly, family fistful will be taking the train to Chicagoland next year. Thanks for the tips, folks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 11:46:48 PM »
It's been decades since I was on a train.

As for New Orleans, if you like seeing fantastic old southern homes with history, check out the Garden District. The cemeteries, as already mentioned, are great.

My wife's been there since Katrina, but I haven't, so I don't know if the restaurants I was at are still around: Pat O'Brien's, Court of the Two Sisters, Che Paul's. For good food outdoors at a reasonable price, the French Seafood Market is also good.

February can be a very good time to go, as temps can be very moderate, as in 50's and 60's.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 12:02:19 AM »
i rode trains every day for about 5 years  like amtrak. the food you'll have access to in a real dining car is better than "club car " food. amtrak actually recruits real chefs to try to staff em . i passed no way i was gonna work with their union nonsense of 75% of scale first year 80 the second etc. we used amtrak a lot when my grandma was around they have a handicapped accessible sleeper with a shower and room service food that made travel; right pleasant for her/us. please let us know what its like now i wanna do a plane/train excursion with the kids
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 12:06:09 AM »
I am on Amtrak for at least four hours, every single weekday, on the Downeaster from Portland ME to Boston. (Long story).

I like it, there are obviously no sleeper cars on this run, but thr cafe car is great, the prices are very reasonable (2.50 for a domestic beer,or a big hot dog, chips  and coke for under $5).     The coach seats recline back enough for a nice nap, and there is wifi and power outlets at each seat.  I wish my commute was not so long, but I'd rather ride than drive any day.
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 12:33:38 AM »
The coach seats recline back enough for a nice nap, and there is wifi and power outlets at each seat.  I wish my commute was not so long, but I'd rather ride than drive any day.

I could deal with that for a commute. Nap, use computer, read books, eat, get up and stretch your legs...

How much does it cost per day for you to ride Amtrak?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
when i commuted by train i read three newspapers a day sometimes more and read more books in that 5 years than in the 10 before and after
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 02:26:01 AM »
1. Eat at Mother's Restaurant, good food.

Yep. 

2. Go to Cafe Du Monde and have a beignet, you might have to dig through the powdered sugar to find the beignet.

Yep.  Try some other beignet places too.  Cafe du Monde can't be beat for the atmosphere, but there are allegedly better beignet about.

4. If you have imbibe, make sure to ask for you drink in a plastic cup so you can take it and go. Future-SWMBO found the daiquiri bar in the mall on the river walk and throughly enjoyed it.

Definitely.  There are few pleasures like drinking and walking.  It is bizarre and astonishing to me that we have outlawed it most everywhere.  NO is special in this way.

8. Enjoy French Quater, but pre-Katrina it always smelled like urine, don't know if that changed.

I didn't notice it smelling worse than any other city, and I was there during Jazz Fest and then during the weekend of the Rock n Roll Marathon & Half--so chock-ful of people who enjoy peeing in convenient and unconventional places.  Maybe I'm just not good at noticing funky smells, but I just remember warm evenings that smelled alternately like swampy water, flowers, and cityfunk.

[Warning: Random babbling about my insane love on NO despite extremely limited exposure follows.]

Enjoy the whole city, not just the French Quarter.  I'm building up my mileage in the (probably futile) hope of making it to the race again this year--on foot is a great way to enjoy New Orleans.  Don't keep just to the French Quarter.  If you don't want to walk, it's drivable too, so long as you don't mind getting lost.

Both of my trips have been post-Katrina.  Yes, huge swathes of the city are either substantially gone or substantially down-at-heel.  There are some bad areas, but a lot of the areas that look bad aren't, not in the uh, socio-economic sense, they just haven't been gotten to yet.  There's a whole lot of shifting and restructuring going on.  As far as safety goes, the French Quarter is, realistically speaking, one of the more dangerous areas--lots of drunks acting stupid, lots of predators preying on drunk people. 

My first trip--a week of volunteer work at the PD's, I roomed with a fairly astute guy, kind of a party-er, but also pretty street smart and keeps his wits about, and with a typical student type chick.  The guy was more or less ok, but nearly got a little too involved in a drunken brawl.  The girl got blasted out of her mind every day, behaved horribly, and got her purse stolen.  I had no trouble at all.  I worked hard and limited my touristing to walking around a lot.  A bunch of us did go on a swamp tour in an airboat and that was pretty awesome.  The "haunted New Orleans" tour was full of great showmanship and a lot of fun--of course they represent a whole lot of complete bs as established historical fact, which is part of the fun but also a trap for the over-credulous.   I despair for the future of the legal profession because after spending an hour explaining how and why I was able to learn, in about ten minutes worth of Googling, that the stories about Delphine LaLaurie are fake, the response I got was "But he said it was true!"

My second trip I was focused on running and had my kiddos with me, so I didn't get out much, but got to run 13.1 miles of the city, and that was NICE.  Went to the Audobon Zoo afterwards, which was pretty nice, if you're into that sort of thing.  I still want to go to the insectarium--haven't had time on either trip. 

The Garden District is a great place to walk.  Felipe's Tacqueria is a great place to eat, especially if you aren't into (or can't afford) the gourmet places and tire quickly (like me) of cajun and creole. 

I'm still trying to find some way to get myself down there again this winter.  Heck, I'm trying to get a job there. 

As for Amtrak, I took one trip, years ago.  It was a mixed experience.  Delightful experience, mostly, but the last leg of the trip there was some scheduling issue and they put everyone bound for Detroit on a bus.  That was irritating. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 10:05:42 AM »
I don't understand why more people don't use the train.  

This might have something to do with it:
Just for the record, we're flying home for one third the price (and 23 hours less travel time) of the train experience.

Not everybody has money & time to burn.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 11:16:22 AM »
I don't understand why more people don't use the train.

Time and money. My wife just flew to Milwaukee and back for Thanksgiving. $300 round trip from Huntsville, AL international airport (yes, it's international) to Milwaukee. The flight takes a bit over five hours with layovers.

A friend doesn't like to fly, so we looked at Amtrack. There's no Amtrak station in either Decatur or Huntsville. The nearest is Birmingham, 1.5 hours away by car. So that's 3 hours round trip by car to pick up a guest, and 3 hours again to drop him off.

The train itself takes two days to get to Birmingham, having to go to Washington DC first.  ??? The price for the train from Milwaukee to Birmingham is $247. Unless you want to sit in your seat on the first night, you'll need a room. The cheapest is $180 for a bunk bed.

The trip back is $305 plus another $180 for a room. So, that's $912 for a train compared to $300 for a plane, and four days (plus six hours driving for us to pick up and drop off) compared to ten hours for travel time. Do the trip by car and it's 22 hours of drive time and about $200 worth of gas.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 11:45:51 AM »
The train makes sense if you are lucky enough to have a station near your source and destination, such as was the case when my brother traveled from Durham to Manassas a few years ago (station was almost walking distance in both locations).  His trip took about 8hrs, where driving would be about 5, but he got to rest and read the entire time.  The price was less than $200 IIRC.

Chris

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 01:40:18 PM »
Amtrak makes sense to me for short hops where I won't need a car on the other end.  Basically, traveling to NYC.

Syracuse to NYC:
Car:  4 hour trip, then you have to deal with putting your car someplace.
Plane: 1 hour flight + 3 hours for security plus luggage
Train: No security or baggage delays, 6 hour leisurely ride where you are not driving, nor are you cramped in a tiny plane seat. You arrive in Penn station and can pretty much get on any subway or walk to wherever you want to go from there.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 02:02:52 PM »
Amtrak makes sense to me for short hops where I won't need a car on the other end.  Basically, traveling to NYC.

Syracuse to NYC:
Car:  4 hour trip, then you have to deal with putting your car someplace.
Plane: 1 hour flight + 3 hours for securityTSA Grope/NudoScope plus luggage
Train: No security or baggage delays, 6 hour leisurely ride where you are not driving, nor are you cramped in a tiny plane seat. You arrive in Penn station and can pretty much get on any subway or walk to wherever you want to go from there.

FIFY  :laugh:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 03:23:27 PM »
dc to new york boston on the late train the nite owl  aka the fright owl
leave 11 from dc get a sleeper they unhitch one in new york park it on a siding and you can stay in it till 8 or 9  shower and be rested clean and ready  in  new york for early events  cheaper than a hotel and you are right downtown   same deal to boston . i commuted to both for a couple years. it was cake for me  company paid fare

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 04:04:34 PM »
dc to new york boston on the late train the nite owl  aka the fright owl
leave 11 from dc get a sleeper they unhitch one in new york park it on a siding and you can stay in it till 8 or 9  shower and be rested clean and ready  in  new york for early events  cheaper than a hotel and you are right downtown   same deal to boston . i commuted to both for a couple years. it was cake for me  company paid fare

Please elaborate.

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 04:34:08 PM »
i  could get a sleeper  when it pulled into new york at 4-5 am they let you sleep when they pull that one car onto a siding (as the rest of train goes on north} hook it up to "shore power".  it let me use the train like a hotel  i could show up for work tanned rested and ready instead of hustling to catch an early flight.  when i did the same trick to boston i got stuck once with no sleeper for the return trip. i used self administered suspended animation for those. get on train get seat. go to club car  wait for wheels to start turning. get 6 miniatures. go to seat  open all miniatures and start slamming em down. nap till at least bwi. i'll never forget the look of horror on the orthodox rabbi who was seated next to me as i started slamming them down.   

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 09:57:15 PM »
Time and money. My wife just flew to Milwaukee and back for Thanksgiving. $300 round trip from Huntsville, AL international airport (yes, it's international) to Milwaukee. The flight takes a bit over five hours with layovers.

A friend doesn't like to fly, so we looked at Amtrack. There's no Amtrak station in either Decatur or Huntsville. The nearest is Birmingham, 1.5 hours away by car. So that's 3 hours round trip by car to pick up a guest, and 3 hours again to drop him off.

The train itself takes two days to get to Birmingham, having to go to Washington DC first.  ??? The price for the train from Milwaukee to Birmingham is $247. Unless you want to sit in your seat on the first night, you'll need a room. The cheapest is $180 for a bunk bed.

The trip back is $305 plus another $180 for a room. So, that's $912 for a train compared to $300 for a plane, and four days (plus six hours driving for us to pick up and drop off) compared to ten hours for travel time. Do the trip by car and it's 22 hours of drive time and about $200 worth of gas.

Our one way coach fare (no sleeping compartment) was $336 for the two of us. The roomette to Chicago was and extra $80 and the larger bedroom from Chicago to New Orleans was an extra $259. All meals are included with the purchase of a sleeper, and you get access to the first class lounges at depots. Airfare home is $228. We were surprised at how much a coach seat runs on Amtrak. We noticed that generally speaking, the train usually costs more than flying to get you there even without a sleeper.   >:D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:25:42 AM by thebaldguy »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 08:42:15 AM »
My wife is going over to Spokane this weekend to see her son's choral concert at college.  Just for the heck of it, we looked at Amtrak: the one trip per day left at 1739 and got into Spokane at 0045.  This leg costs $ 55. The one trip per day return left at 0215 and arrives at 0838 and costs $ 93.  Total cost for the train: $ 148 round trip and six hours each way.  Southwest airlines: three trips per day, one hour each way and $ 120 round trip.  I will be driving her to the airport.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 08:56:39 AM »
I could deal with that for a commute. Nap, use computer, read books, eat, get up and stretch your legs...

How much does it cost per day for you to ride Amtrak?

It's $299 for a monthly ticket, unlimited rides.  If I take it every weekday (Which I generally do) it works out to $15 per round trip.

Of course, I have to add gas for the 30 minutes trip to the local station, and $70/month for an monthly T pass (Subway).  Still, driving costs me $40.00 per trip, including tolls, and NOT including wear and tear on  the truck.

You get to be pretty good friends with the train crew and some of the steady passengers, especially the ones who get off at your stop.
Everybody loves Magical Trevor