Author Topic: massive bird decimation  (Read 5349 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
massive bird decimation
« on: January 02, 2011, 06:46:48 PM »
http://www.todaysthv.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=136195&catid=2

thousands of birds suddenly drop out of the sky dead and dieing, talibird attack? Space cats?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: massive bird decimation
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 07:11:29 PM »
I read that earlier today. I find a few of their conclusions interesting.

The suggestion that the birds died from stress or trauma due to fireworks? I've hunted around thousands and thousands of birds, with hunters firing every which way, and I've never seen a bird fall out of the sky from non-lead stress. Not that a few here and there wouldn't be out of the question, but two thousand in a short time span?

Also the (so far) ruling out of poison. Poison, either in food or water the flock was all eating and drinking around the same time, or flying through some noxious gas or pollutant, seems to me the most plausible reason for so many birds to be affected at basically the same time. I would guess lighting could have done it too.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 07:15:41 PM »
There have been those who suggest the reason airplanes fall out of the sky in the Bermuda Triangle and other such places is due to methane or CO2 being released from under the ocean.

Flying through a cloud of gas lighter than air = no lift.

Anyone else heard this hypothesis?

Could the same thing happen over land?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 07:22:18 PM »
I would guess lighting could have done it too.

I checked the weather. They had rain on the 29th, cloudy through the 31st, sunny on the 1st. Lightning is not likely.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 08:36:22 PM »
my wife used to watch that show "fast-forward".  maybe this is a publicity stunt to get them back on the air!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Lee

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 08:41:41 PM »
It is Arkansas...I'd guess hundreds of shotguns going off at once to celebrate the New Year  >:D

Seriously though, I wonder if the birds might have eaten the dead fish that died off 100 miles from there.  The fish probably died from something running off from a Chicken farm or something weird like that.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 09:38:51 PM »
Any chance this occurred near a high power RF emitter? I personally know of a few particular emitters that will kill birds if they fly through the beam path.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 11:32:18 PM »
I checked the weather. They had rain on the 29th, cloudy through the 31st, sunny on the 1st. Lightning is not likely.

Actually, we had some pretty nasty storms throughthe region the morning of the 31st. 7 dead from tornados a little further North. Much rain, hail and lightening in the wee hours of the morning.
http://www.examiner.com/natural-disasters-in-national/death-toll-from-new-year-s-eve-tornado-outbreak-hits-seven
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 01:58:17 AM »
Maybe a flock of 'em got sucked up by an updraft/tornado/babytornado and got mostly killed or knocked out in the upper reaches of the atmosphere --by cold or lack of O2.  Then they just dropped down.  Seems to me that they might stay up in the clouds for quite a while, like soaring in thermals, and like hailstones, which make several trips up and down in the clouds and can get pretty big.

Could be the same for the fish --fish and other aquatics have been known to be sucked up by waterspouts, but don't ask me to document that.

Either that, or an out-standing ten year old with an out-standing BB gun and an out-standing jacklight dood da doity deed.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:06:58 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 10:23:11 AM »
Overheard MSM on the tee-wee (thanks, Tam!) saying something connecting the dead fish to the dead birds.

At least that's better than yesterday's allusion to The Birds - nobody semed to remember that those birds were very much alive. [/sinister laugh]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 05:44:36 PM »
God will not be ignored. Repent brothers, the end is nigh. [tinfoil]

eh, someone had to. :angel:

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 09:10:49 PM »
First the birds now the fish. Whats going on down there?
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/02/arkansas.fish.kill/index.html?hpt=T2
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 10:02:35 AM »
There have been those who suggest the reason airplanes fall out of the sky in the Bermuda Triangle and other such places is due to methane or CO2 being released from under the ocean.

Flying through a cloud of gas lighter than air = no lift.

Anyone else heard this hypothesis?

Could the same thing happen over land?

I've seen that before also.  I believe they mentioned that is didn't take a great deal of methane to choke the engines also.

I think I also saw a test on TV where they simulated a ship having a big CO2/Methane bubble surface underneath them.  The ship sank like a rock. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 02:15:54 PM »
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/latest/112843019.html

LABARRE — Hundreds of dead and dying birds littered a quarter-mile stretch of highway in Pointe Coupee Parish on Monday as motorists drove over and around them.

State biologists are trying to determine what led to the deaths of the estimated 500 red-winged blackbirds and starlings on La. 1 just down the road from Pointe Coupee Central High School.

The discovery of the dead birds — some of which were lying face down, clumped in groups, while others were face up with their wings outstretched and rigid legs pointing upward — comes just three days after more than 3,000 blackbirds rained down from the sky in Beebe, Ark.

Necropsies performed Monday on the birds in Arkansas showed the birds suffered internal injuries that formed blood clots leading to their deaths, The Associated Press reported.

In Louisiana, biologists with the state Department of Wildlife and Fisheries spent part of the day Monday scooping up some of the birds in Pointe Coupee Parish to be sent for testing at labs in Georgia and Wisconsin.

The remaining carcasses were still on the roadway, on the shoulder and in drainage ditches Monday afternoon as some motorists sped past, flattening birds lying in the roadway, while other drivers slowed down to gawk.

It's expanding, whatever it is.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 02:21:52 PM »
Bigfoot and his slingshot..... [tinfoil]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 02:43:27 PM »
I like red winged blackbirds one of my favorite fishing partners when I fish small ponds.

I'm wondering if they got caught up in a wall cloud collapse or something that knocked them out of the sky.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 03:49:13 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 03:53:52 PM »
sorry, missile contrails are for the west coast conspiricy zone only.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 04:18:10 PM »
Any chance this occurred near a high power RF emitter? I personally know of a few particular emitters that will kill birds if they fly through the beam path.
I've heard of flocks of bird being knocked down by missle warning radars up in Canada or Alaska. For that matter, I remember reading in Victor Belenko's book that the Soviet Mig-25 radar was so powerful that it was a capital offense for a pilot to activate it on the ground - it could kill a small animal at quite some distance, and injure ground crew seriously up close. So maybe some jet jockey was behind it . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 04:33:56 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 05:48:09 PM »
They continue to say fireworks was the cause. I'm finding that very hard to believe, at least for that great a number of birds. That had to be a hell of a fireworks show.

A localized atmospheric event of some kind that wore them out, like a wind vortex or something, seems much more plausible.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 05:49:32 PM »
Indeed, not to say that "something" isn't going on, but I wonder how many dead fish and birds we'd find if we were at ZOMG-Defcon1 all the time and actively LOOKING for them.

Correlation not equaling causation, and all that.

Plus, all the birds going nuts and migrating at odd times, or going nuts and flying into windows etc. is a pretty standard trope for the opening sequence/foreshadowing of disaster movies over the past decade or so. So it's kind of a mental fixture in many people's minds, and subject to having greater significance than the event really has being assigned in people's minds.  

And the fireworks/thunder thing is plausible to me, as much as anything else. My mother and uncles used to amuse themselves by hypnotizing the chickens on the family farm in the 1950's. They'd take a piece of feed pinched in their fingers and slowly move it back and forth until the bird was out of it, and they could even lay the bird on it's back in their hands. They'd then leave it there, and it would take 10-15 minutes and suddenly come to.

One day they did this, and three days later the chickens they'd hypnotized all died. Grandpa was pretty pissed.

Also thinking about how dolphins/whales can get confused and beach themselves etc. too.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:52:56 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »
Thunder, with accompanying lightning, I can see, but fireworks, for that many birds, baffles me. I'm not a biology guy, so maybe I'm just not getting the "why" of it (or else all the fireworks shows I've seen have been really lame).

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 07:36:23 PM »