Author Topic: 60 years old: is there any way to lose the "spare tire"?  (Read 5971 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
60 years old: is there any way to lose the "spare tire"?
« on: January 31, 2011, 07:47:56 PM »
I've been going to the gym regularly for three years, and have been watching what I eat. That's not to say that I eat 100% healthy, but I'm eating much better than before.

I'm keeping my weight to about 162-165 pounds. The problem is that I can't lose the flab around my waist. I'm staying under 2000 calories a day, but the flab won't go away. It's not a huge beer gut like I had when I was drinking, but it's not the solid abdomen I had when I was young.

Damn, I hate getting old so much that I'm doing everything to stop the process. No pizza's, no kielbasa...  With me giving that stuff up, I expect a payoff.

Am I pursuing the impossible?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: 60 years old: is there any way to lose the "spare tire"?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 07:52:29 PM »
Cardio, cardio, cardio, light weights/high reps, and alot of ab stuff.

But, hear me out.

You're in the one sixties, and you're how old?  A litle mid section isn't something to worry about if you're in good physical condition.  

If its appearance you're woried about, you're going to start having to hit the abdominal machines at the gym.  
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 07:59:37 PM »
I've been going to the gym regularly for three years, and have been watching what I eat. That's not to say that I eat 100% healthy, but I'm eating much better than before.
I'm keeping my weight to about 162-165 pounds. The problem is that I can't lose the flab around my waist. I'm staying under 2000 calories a day, but the flab won't go away. It's not a huge beer gut like I had when I was drinking, but it's not the solid abdomen I had when I was young.
Damn, I hate getting old so much that I'm doing everything to stop the process. No pizza's, no kielbasa...  With me giving that stuff up, I expect a payoff.
Am I pursuing the impossible?
While your body isn't working as efficiently as it may have when you were younger, the pursuit of a healthier lifestyle is never fruitless.

My best advice: Start keeping a count of the calories you take in each day. Remember to include beverages and snacks in this calorie count, not just meals. Reduce your normal intake by about 500-1000 calories/day and you will lose 1-2 pounds/week.

Also, I'd recommend calculating your BMI to get an objective idea of where you are, since you sound like a healthy enough individual. 1,000kcal reduction may be far too much.

source: DynaMed
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:02:46 PM by Pharmacology »

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 08:03:52 PM »
Abdominal fat is the hardest to remove. Your body stores the fat there first and accesses it last.

You'll have to get pretty lean to get rid of it.  Change up your exercise routines, increase the intensity or duration, use more weight, try different programs.  Don't let you body become accustomed to a routine.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:13:57 PM »
As has been said, mix up the exercise a bit and confuse your body. People always laugh when I recommend this because they can't see me being into it, but also try some yoga. There are a few yoga exercises that really work the core. If you want a quick run through of some really good exercises, try the DVD in the link below. I know it sounds hokey because Budokon is kind of a Hollywood celebrity thing, but the exercises really are good. A mix of yoga and simple martial arts drills. I do a decent amount of weightlifting and strength training at the gym, but the first time I did the exercises in this DVD that only use my own body weight, I was tuckered out at the end and sore for two days from working core muscles I wasn't getting to before.

http://www.amazon.com/Cameron-Shayne-Budokon-Beginners/dp/B00068RZ18/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296522607&sr=8-1
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 08:18:03 PM »
The rest of my body really can't get any leaner wthout me looking like a skeleton.

I'm getting a bit more bulk in the arms and chest, and I'd hate to lose that.

I just started using the ab machines. I can see how that goes. I can't do crunches because of my back. Actually there's a lot of exercises I can't do because of my back, and I'm limited in arm exercises because of tendon damage. That might also limit any yoga, yes?

It's fun getting old.  :'(

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 08:33:26 PM »

I just started using the ab machines. I can see how that goes. I can't do crunches because of my back. Actually there's a lot of exercises I can't do because of my back, and I'm limited in arm exercises because of tendon damage. That might also limit any yoga, yes?

Actually I got into yoga based on my Doctor's recommendation a few years ago when I strained my back pretty bad. It was one of his recommendations for regaining strength and keeping my back stretched to avoid future incidents. If you have a bad back, you might want to check with your Doctor before jumping into yoga though -- while there are some moves that are really good for the back, there are likely some that might not be good for various back conditions.

And yeah, the ab machine can be bad for the back. Up until a couple of years ago, I always did incline situps while holding a 75lb dumbell. I can't do those much anymore either. Well I can, but I definitely feel it in my lower back afterwards.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 08:37:52 PM »
lipo...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 08:40:58 PM »
60 years old: is there any way to lose the "spare tire"?

:laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
5 HP lipo...  :O

:lol:

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 08:45:53 PM »
Fastest way I could think of!

You don't need all 24 feet of your small intestine, do ya?   :-X
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 08:47:22 PM »
nah, 6-7 feet oughta do.   ;)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 08:52:24 PM »
Get a bicycle.  Ride to the gym.  Ride lots of places.  I was dropping about 2-3 pounds a week when the weather was nice, without reducing my calorie intake at all.  I'm waiting for some nice days to get back in practice, then I've got some long rides planned for spring.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 09:03:03 PM »
Also, I can't believe none of us has yet given the best advice possible: EAT MORE BACON.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 09:04:25 PM »
 :facepalm:

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 09:05:34 PM »
Get a tapeworm.  Feed it bacon & beer.

Do not post pics.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 10:12:02 PM »
The rest of my body really can't get any leaner wthout me looking like a skeleton.
It's fun getting old.  Cry
Ah.. I see, then please disregard my earlier statement about diet modification.
Hmm... maybe good old fashioned walking??

Whenever I go to europe or spend the summer in LA ( [barf] )  and am forced to walk extensively, I always lose the spare tire and start seeing abs poke through.  People underestimate how much demand balance and walking places on the core.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 10:29:19 PM »
Where I get confused is with trying to add some bulk to my arms, chest and back, but not around the middle. I actually have some muscle definition for the first time in my life. The trainer at the gym told me to eat extra carbs to help build muscle mass ("mass" isn't exactly the right term for me, though).

When I was doing this in my 40's I was doing 175 sit-ups non-stop. Didn't reduce my beer gut, though; just made it harder. ;)

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 10:33:28 PM »
Bwaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 10:37:18 PM »
Eating healthy is unnecessary. Exercising is unnecessary. Just eat less until you reach the point where you are losing weight. Remember the guy who went on an Oreos/Twinkies/etc diet? Lost 30lbs or so. A simple exercise demonstrating the truth of portion control = weight control.

Exercise just accelerates the process. Eating healthy is a solution for food addicts who must have something in their mouths.* Salads (minus the dressing) are low-calorie, and you will generally get sick of the nasty leafy stuff before getting fat off it. Eating healthy is allegedly good for you, of course. But who wants that?

I eat pizza often. Entire pizzas, all by myself. I also skip breakfast 90% of the time, and drink cokes only 30-40% of the time. Otherwise, it's water. Changing your drinks to water cuts out a hundred plus calories, and it's simple to do and remember. You'll have to break your caffeine addiction first, which only takes a week. If you eat at a nice restaurant, throw the salad away and eat the main course, never touching the side dishes.

*N.B. do not recommend that these people "take up a hobby, like oral sex." They respond poorly.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 10:50:22 PM »

I aggravated an old back injury earlier this year while I was out doing volunteer chainsaw work at a tornado site.  The foreman (for lack of a proper term to call him) told me I should do yoga.  I showed me a couple of yoga stretches or poses or whatever they call them.  he said he got into it when he had tendinitis that wouldn't go away, and yoga pretty much cured it in just a few weeks.  I just listened and tried not to giggle.

When I got back home, I did some research, and it turns out some of the stretches the expensive physical therapist had me doing when I really messed up my back a few years ago (and got sciatica really bad as the back started getting better) were just yoga.  "The cobra", I think was the main one ;/

Do you prefer the alternative? ;)

Try eliminating most sugar from your diet.  Sugar, honey, high fructose corn syrup, it doesn't matter (dextrose and maltose are OK, but they're really not very sweet.)  Starches, proteins, and moderate amounts of fat don't really matter so much.  Fructose metabolism (and sugar and honey are about 50% fructose) causes the body to store fat moreso than you would expect from its calorie content.
"It's good, though..."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 11:10:32 PM »
this?  oh wait wrong 60's :facepalm:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »
The only soda I drink is Sprite Zero, which has nothing of nothing. I'm surprised the cans aren't empty.

For most of my life I could eat as much of any food as I wanted and not gain weight. I've often eaten two full restaurant meals (still will if the food is good). I never gained a pound. Even today I won't gain anywhere except the waist. Even when I was eating prodigious amounts of food and getting a lot of upper and lower body exercise, I didn't get muscular. I just burned it all off.

I'll look into yoga. And Boo-boo, too. ;)

Sanglant, that reminds me of a shot I did for fun many years back:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 11:42:10 PM »
More sex.  Preferably with other people.  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 12:56:13 AM »
Quote from: Ben
yadda, yadda, yadda... There are a few yoga exercises that really work the core. If you want a quick run through of some really good exercises, try the DVD in the link below...more yaddaing...
http://www.amazon.com/Cameron-Shayne-Budokon-Beginners/dp/B00068RZ18/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296522607&sr=8-1

FWIW, this DVD and several others by Mr. Shayne are at Netflix.  I've added them to my queue.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.