Author Topic: Pirates Hijack Sailboat with Children on Board  (Read 14285 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Pirates Hijack Sailboat with Children on Board
« on: February 28, 2011, 03:38:32 PM »
As well as hijacking a Greek ship. They're quite busy.  I certainly hope the situation involving the children ends well for the hostages.

I think this is the first hijacking that involves children? I wonder if it will make the world get more serious about ending this...

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/02/28/somali-pirates-capture-danish-ship-seven-board/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Pirates Hijack Sailboat with Children on Board
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 03:51:20 PM »

Article says they have 660 hostages and 30+ vessels.  Here's an idea.  Start sinking the captured ships.  Don't pay a ransom, just blow them up.  Paying ransom to pirates is only going to enable the situation. 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 03:53:22 PM »
"Children" = ages 12-16, with no stated gender.

If girls, I suspect they're going to be in for a hellish time.  Parents likely to be killed very quickly due to reaction from treatment of children.

If they sail quickly enough, they may not even try for ransom.  Just sell 'em to some Saudi prince or Arab sheik as harem fodder on the black market.

I'm 100% in support of the Navy parking a pair of light-duty carriers about 100 miles off the Somali coast with appropriate support craft, and aggressively patrolling the sea lanes by air/helicopter.  This type of trouble spreads if left unchecked.  We don't need it in the south Pacific or the Caribbean.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »
I'm getting to the point where they need to just blockade the entire coastline and destroy any boat they see. 

I would say they need to send in a Marine Amphibious group, but I doubt they would do that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 05:42:01 PM »
I'm getting to the point where they need to just blockade the entire coastline and destroy any boat they see. 

I would say they need to send in a Marine Amphibious group, but I doubt they would do that.

We chased pirates on an L-class while our MEU was ashore in Iraq.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 05:45:05 PM »
I've realized that the Piracy endemic along the African coast is really just a symptom of the disease that is Western Politics. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 05:58:29 PM »

:mad: [ar15]

Any word on what part of the "Indian Ocean" these Danes were sailing in?

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 06:08:05 PM »

:mad: [ar15]

Any word on what part of the "Indian Ocean" these Danes were sailing in?
"Outside Somalia" I read, but they wrote that about that ship that was taken when it was a 1000 miles from Somalia...so for all we know, they might've been close to India.

I've realized that the Piracy endemic along the African coast is really just a symptom of the disease that is Western Politics. 
Politicians no longer have the guts to order captains to simply hang or shoot pirates, or to tell the Marines to go in and not leave until the enemy has been thoroughly curb-stomped to death.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 07:05:58 PM »
Pirates need some serious  [ar15] kind of attention, which is all i'll say about that.

But what I can't figure out is why the hell do pleasure craft folk keep sailing over in that area. I mean, really, who thinks 'oh, a sail over near somilia sounds like a dandy idea' ?  :facepalm:

I wound understand some like jamis, which would result in headlines 'somilian pirates killed in the attempt to hijack a yahct' but tripping out for a sail in that area, and they don't see it coming? Really?

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 07:15:37 PM »
Pirates need some serious  [ar15] kind of attention, which is all i'll say about that.

But what I can't figure out is why the hell do pleasure craft folk keep sailing over in that area. I mean, really, who thinks 'oh, a sail over near somilia sounds like a dandy idea' ?  :facepalm:

I wound understand some like jamis, which would result in headlines 'somilian pirates killed in the attempt to hijack a yahct' but tripping out for a sail in that area, and they don't see it coming? Really?

They weren't necessarily close - the four hostages who got killed a week ago? Their boat was taken about 1000 miles from Somalia - they were closer to bloody India than they were to Somalia, if the map is correct...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 07:20:18 PM »
Russians handcuff the pirates to the vessel after they remove the hostages and then blow up the vessel and sink it.  We stand by and watch the pirates murder four good people and then arrest the pirates.  Something wrong with our response.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 07:34:19 PM »
Thats kink of like putting on the non pc version of this sign and taking a walk through (insert name of blighted inner city here)

And yes I think if the kids get anything other than handed back over this might prove interesting.
Now you have the mommy club pissed.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 07:35:47 PM »
As well as hijacking a Greek ship. They're quite busy.  I certainly hope the situation involving the children ends well for the hostages badly for the pirates.

FTFY for change of emphasis
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 07:41:34 PM »
i model my preferred response to things like this after that paragon of restraint ghenghis khan  them their families and their village cease to exist.  repeat as needed. its not pc but it works
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 08:00:41 PM »
From the papers over here: The kids are 2 boys, 1 girl.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 08:01:43 PM »
Use satellite and Predator resources to track the mother ship back to it's home port.....then MOAB the port into rubble.....sends a message that crosses the language barrier.....

So true.....  :facepalm:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 09:13:56 PM »
From the papers over here: The kids are 2 boys, 1 girl.
Ah... my heart just sank.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 09:33:58 PM »
They weren't necessarily close - the four hostages who got killed a week ago? Their boat was taken about 1000 miles from Somalia - they were closer to bloody India than they were to Somalia, if the map is correct...

Exactly; it's like saying that people in Green Bay should expect random attacks from the criminals in Trenton NJ, or that our Austin residents should worry because of the crime rate in El Paso.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 09:44:05 PM »
Exactly; it's like saying that people in Green Bay should expect random attacks from the criminals in Trenton NJ, or that our Austin residents should worry because of the crime rate in El Paso.

They said the folks that got snatched last week where almost exactly in the same spot as another ship that got jacked.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 09:54:17 PM »
I was also thinking that our patrol planes probably see the pirates but can't fire on them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 11:00:45 PM »
I was also thinking that our patrol planes probably see the pirates but can't fire on them.

Who's going to turn them in? The pirates? Post-mission. "Ordnance jettisoned due to in-flight emergency."
AKA Navy Joe   

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 11:32:42 PM »
Exactly how do the recon planes tell which ships and boats are the pirate ships and boats? It's kinda hard to reach down and flip a tarp over to see whats underneath when you are zipping along at 1000' AGL.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 11:47:23 PM »
The cockroach infested skiffs I saw didn't look like a pleasure yacht. Good job for a UAV, just buzz the suspect boat until they fire at the drone. ID confirmed.
AKA Navy Joe   

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 11:54:02 PM »
The cockroach infested skiffs I saw didn't look like a pleasure yacht. Good job for a UAV, just buzz the suspect boat until they fire at the drone. ID confirmed.

And unfortunately a goodly many of the genuine fishing dhows look like nothing more than a cockroach infested skiff as well. A couple Somali's in a dingy with a few AK's does not a pirate skiff make. All that means is they are prudent fishermen (no sensible person put-puts around the Gulf of Aden unarmed). You need to be able to get close enough to identify key pirate gear (boarding devices for instance) and check to see if the crew-to-fishing-gear ratio is askew. This can not be readily done from the air short of hovering 10 feet over their heads in a chopper which leads to another problem: Blackhawk Down v2.0 anybody?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 12:03:04 AM »
Had we (and by we I mean the civilized world) stomped on these roaches earlier we wouldn't have this problem.  Now the butcher's bill is going to be much higher than what it could have been.  What was it that dead German guy said about giving your enemy time ??

Sadly, we may have to take the same approach that the Israelis do with hostages.  That they are as good as dead.  

Those that take the hostages are also as good as dead.

We don't need to occupy the damn country, but we've got satellites and UAV's and Aircraft and billions being spent on Defense.  Surely we know where these scumbags are basing out of.   I see nothing wrong with sending in the Marines, with overwhelming fire support, to "clean out these pest holes".    

Lather, Rinse, Repeat as needed...  
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.