Author Topic: Castle Jumped the Shark: Spolier-Full  (Read 8003 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Castle Jumped the Shark: Spolier-Full
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:18:07 PM »
I only watch two shows these days and Castle is one of them.  Usually catch it on hulu.

There have been signs that it has been deteriorating, but the 2-part show with the dirty nuke was more than I could stomach.

First off, I knew it was going bad when the original suspects were all muslims from Syria, too early in the show.  Then, the Bad Guys are all super-patriot ex-SF trying to frame muslims from Syria.  Forget the small detail that there have been no terrorist plots carried out by ex-SF soldiers.  The closest was likely McVeigh, who was a mech infantryman who didn't make it through SFAS because of the krayzee.

Top it all off with the Guy Who Saves The Day is a muslim Syrian spy. 

Great syphilitic fluffy moon deities, the stupid hurts.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Castle Jumped the Shark: Spolier-Full
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:22:40 PM »
I saw part one last week and the alarm bells went off when I saw the Syrians "suspected" on the first part.

It's hollywood. Just like what they did to "Sum of All Fears."

Someone needs to be shot for the atrocity they committed on that book.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:30:30 PM »
I saw part one last week and the alarm bells went off when I saw the Syrians "suspected" on the first part.

It's hollywood. Just like what they did to "Sum of All Fears."

Someone needs to be shot for the atrocity they committed on that book.

what..  every time I read a Clancy book I totally thought of Ben Afleck as Jack Ryan...  didn't everybody?   ;/

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:49:21 PM »
Jumped the shark, indeed.

"Teh poor wittle DHS agent... we should all feel sawwy for him.  He's doing such a hawd and unpawpular job... He's my heewo. <sniffle>" :'(

And of course the Mooslims AREN'T the terrorists.  Whatever. ;/

I wonder if Fillion had to tame his gag reflex for that one.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:14:22 PM »
Oh please. The usual suspect is never the actual bad guy. That's the formula of Castle, and most other detective stories.

I liked the way Castle defused the bomb. Just epic.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:15:02 PM »
what..  every time I read a Clancy book I totally thought of Ben Afleck as Jack Ryan...  didn't everybody?   ;/

He was a better choice than watzizname they had in Red October.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:24:51 PM »

Alec Baldwin...I liked the book much better than the movie, although the book was slow starting off, but it sucked you in pretty good once it got going.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 08:17:10 AM »

I dunno.  AB played the I just came out of a cubicle, what the hell am I doing in the field? thing pretty good.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 09:27:02 AM »
Yeah, that is probably the only AB movie I can really say I like.  For me, it is one of those few movies I can sit and watch any time over and over again. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 10:03:32 AM »
Lots of stupid on all those cop shows  ;/

There really is nothing good on TV.

But I go home in a couple days  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:08:06 AM »
I KNEW that Moslems weren't going to be the bad guys - really, wasn't "24" just about the only show that had Moslems as terrorists recently?

When they went into the storage locker, Kate Beckett's radiation detector suddenly "maxed out" . . . big problem. But then there were "only traces" of Cobalt-60 found, so there was "no problem." Not a very good detector.

Also, unless the container is leaking all over the place, Cobalt-60 won't leave traces . . . and if it IS leaking, it's more easily tracked.

I KNEW that running into the (remarkably well-lit) freezer was a bad idea as soon as they hid inside.

But hey, it's only TV . . . and there was a little reference to Serenity at the beginning.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 10:09:05 AM »
Oh please. The usual suspect is never the actual bad guy. That's the formula of Castle, and most other detective stories.

I liked the way Castle defused the bomb. Just epic.

The whole "Movie treatment revision of Sum of All Fears" ticked me off too.

However, I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt "trying hard to give it a twist" factor, so it didn't turn me completely off the show.
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 10:41:55 AM »
Forget the small detail that there have been no terrorist plots carried out by ex-SF soldiers. 

A SF instructor named Ali Muhammed, who taught at the JFK Special Warfare Center, has helped organize the embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 10:43:40 AM »

Top it all off with the Guy Who Saves The Day is a muslim Syrian spy. 

Do you know how many terrorist acts FATAH agents prevent?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 11:24:51 AM »
The problem we have with it is that the current head of DHS is on record as saying "Domestic" (code for Anglo-European American political right) terror and returning vets are a higher priority than M.E./Islamic terror.

Despite the fact that since Tim McVeigh, and Eric Rudolph, were both well over a decade ago, all the truly "domestic" terror incidents since have either been Islamic/M.E. related, or vaguely Leftist (if not simply nuts) in nature here. (Guy flying his light plane into a local IRS office, the nutty environmentalist/ZPG guy who caused the Discovery Channel hostage situation, or Jared Lee Loughner)

Many Americans feel the .gov has stared them straight in the eye, and said that what we perceive to be the ruling administration's ideology, and political correctness, is more important to us than the facts.
I promise not to duck.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 01:21:21 PM »
I too was disappointed in the two part season finale of Castle. 
That being said the "Serenity" reference was classic Fillion.
And his method of diffusing the bomb was classic, something I've been waiting to see in that scenario for years.
I've always wondered, I mean what would one have to loose.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 01:33:42 PM »
Yeah it was a stupid episode. Considering one of the other shows (Law and Order?) just had an Americans gone bad bomb plot, and Bluebloods had a nuke in the city plot as well.

In addition the whole lets up the stakes thing is not a sustainable way to keep people interested in the show. Stick to the wacky murder off-the-week formula where the crime is merely weird and confusing rather than earth-shaking.

And producers of Castle if you are going to use Downtown Los Angeles as a substitute for NYC at least shoot the scene so that the vivid blue street signs L.A. uses are not in the background or digitize them out. Just sloppy work.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 03:03:19 PM »
But hey, it's only TV . . . and there was a little reference to Serenity at the beginning.

Could oyu throw a clue to a fellow american sho's not getting it?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 03:59:48 PM »
Could oyu throw a clue to a fellow american sho's not getting it?
Nathan Fillion (the actor who plays Castle) played Malcom Reynolds in the badly-under-rated TV series Firefly, and the subsequent theatrical movie Serenity, named for Mal's spaceship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 04:38:12 PM »
First off, I knew it was going bad when the original suspects were all muslims from Syria, too early in the show.

This actually makes perfect sense; if you want to frame someone for setting off a dirty bomb, a Muslim former weapons engineer is a lot more plausible than the chef at La Madeleine.  It's exactly who I'd pick as a scapegoat.

The glow-in-the-dark paint on some old propane canisters was way goofy, though.  Enough radiation to illuminate the inside of the van like that would have set off detectors miles away.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 05:43:49 PM »
I KNEW that running into the (remarkably well-lit) freezer was a bad idea as soon as they hid inside.

The freezer was the stupid part. I don't know if they could have disabled the refrigeration equipment from inside, but they could have at least tried. Then we come back to them, and they're sitting on the floor of the freezer. Beckett says something about being cold, and I started talking to the screen, "It's because you're sitting on the floor, moron!"
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 05:57:20 PM »
Related question:

Can one damage a walk-in-freezer's refrigeration gear from inside said freezer? For example using tools, or a firearm?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 06:01:10 PM »
Related question:

Can one damage a walk-in-freezer's refrigeration gear from inside said freezer? For example using tools, or a firearm?

Probably, if you know where to aim.

The mocked up shipping container had visible coils on the inside they could have smashed. However, unless you could also smash/shoot all the way out into the outside, it would cause you an even bigger problem. The refrigerant would displace the air inside, and possibly asphyxiate you.
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 07:06:49 PM »
The mocked up shipping container had visible coils on the inside they could have smashed. However, unless you could also smash/shoot all the way out into the outside, it would cause you an even bigger problem. The refrigerant would displace the air inside, and possibly asphyxiate you.

It also had some fans on the inside, IIRC.  Tearing those up might allow one to trip a breaker, or at least stop the air circulating, which would be a big help in staying warm.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 07:43:32 PM »
Harrison Ford the best Jack Ryan? I think so, maybe he just does the clueless what the hell am I doing here guy easily. Not too different from his Indiana Jones character. I always envisioned John Clark as a kinda stocky, fit, competent guy, but Willem DaFoe has enough creepy crazy to make it work. I was soo pissed I wasted money to see Sum of all Fears. Bunch of propaganda BS.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.