Author Topic: "Off brand" guns  (Read 38733 times)

PTK

• friends
Re: "Off brand" guns
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2011, 02:17:43 AM »
I get LOTS of reloads out of fairly mild .45-70 loads. It's very similar to loading for .38 or .45LC.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2011, 05:59:17 AM »
Two votes for Charter Arms (NOT Charco or Charter 2000) and Rossi (esp. the pre-Taurus ones)....and you can find them in both .38SPL and .44SPL....

As for shotguns, look for Stoegers....never found a person to own a bad one yet....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2011, 10:44:31 AM »
As much as I would like to have a Marlin 45-70, it would just be another gun that I hardly ever shoot.  =|

What I've had in mind for quite a while is a Marlin 94 in .357 - something to carry on walks or in a saddle scabbard, to shoot varmits or maybe even a doe at short range.  I just don't want to pay $700 for the dang thing.  =(

Next choice would be a knock around 30-30 for the same purpose.

The Marlin 39 .22 fits that slot now but it's a little too weak for coyotes.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2011, 10:47:21 AM »
As much as I would like to have a Marlin 45-70, it would just be another gun that I hardly ever shoot.  =|

What I've had in mind for quite a while is a Marlin 94 in .357 - something to carry on walks or in a saddle scabbard, to shoot varmits or maybe even a doe at short range.  I just don't want to pay $700 for the dang thing.  =(

Next choice would be a knock around 30-30 for the same purpose.

The Marlin 39 .22 fits that slot now but it's a little too weak for coyotes.

You ain't kidding. I can't believe what a .357 lever gun goes for these days.  I want one, too. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

PTK

• friends
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2011, 11:19:36 AM »
I'll keep my eyes open. If I find what you want, my only request would be the $5 or whatever entry fee where I found it, if at a gunshow. ;) I bet I can find exactly what you want in the next few months. :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2011, 11:27:29 AM »

$700!? Crikey.  I got a Marlin 1894C in .357 for $420 back in 2004 or so.

That is one fun gun to shoot, too.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2011, 11:32:54 AM »

Yeah, and a Marlin 336 30-30 was about $250 back then  ;/

Now they are $450  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2011, 11:39:41 AM »
Yeah, and a Marlin 336 30-30 was about $250 back then  ;/

Now they are $450  =(

Keep your eyes peeled, I've seen them on sale from places like Dick's and Academy for under $400, with scope.

Here's a mossberg for under $400

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/firearms/rifles_centerfire&start=16&selectedSKU=0345-01883-3030
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2011, 11:44:59 AM »
I think that I will just use my old 4" Security Six for CCW (as soon as the gov signs the new law) instead of buying a snubbie - unless I can find a bargain.

If I'm going to spend $500++ on a shooter, it oughta be big enough to whack somebody over the head Wyatt Earp style  =D

Still would like to find a .357 rifle, or at least another 30-30 ... or maybe a shotgun because I don't have one ...  ???

Revolvers
Local gal (www.sportingarms.com) has a deal with the big local security agencies to take their used SW K-frames off their hands.  Usually has a M64 (.38spl, stainless, med-heavy bbl) for $200.  The grips will be beat up, but the stainless will come back with some elbow grease and they haven't been shot much.  Send it to a gunsmith to chop the bbl to 2" & install a front sight & you've got a nice-shooting snubby.  If I manage to come up with $200 in mad money, I am buying one and doing just that.

Sounds like you don't mind carrying a substantial revolver, you just want one that conceals well.  The K-frame steel 6-shot snubbies are about the best shooting of snubs and conceal OWB just great.

Lever Guns in .357, .45colt, .30-30
Rossi makes a damn fine Win92 clone good for all the usual revolver cartridges: .357/.38, .44mag/spl, .45colt, .454casull, .44-40.  Long cartridges like the .30-30, not so much.  Thing is, hot-loaded .357mag & .44mag rival .30-30 out to 100 yards.  MSR is in the $550 range, but I have never seen them selling for that kind of $$$ new.  Used even cheaper.  I won't tell you what I paid for my wife's used 92 in .44mag, as I don't want to see a grown man cry.

Shotgun
Used Remington 870 Wingmasters and Ithaca M37 for the win.  Do you want a bird gun or a social piece?  If it is to be a working/shooting gun vs a "looker," don't be afraid to buy a rough specimen off the 'net.  I haven't seen one "shot out" yet, just beat about a bit in need of cosmetic work or some minor mechanical TLC to make it serviceable.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2011, 11:48:01 AM »
Keep your eyes peeled, I've seen them on sale from places like Dick's and Academy for under $400, with scope.

Here's a mossberg for under $400

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/firearms/rifles_centerfire&start=16&selectedSKU=0345-01883-3030

Yeah, but by the time I pay shipping and FFL fee, it's probably way up over $400 again, plus all the hassle.

As opposed to just walking in, doing a five minute NICS check, writing a check, and I'm gone.  It's still a 120 mile round trip to the city, or a 50 mile round trip to the county seat where there are a couple gun shops.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2011, 11:50:28 AM »
Yeah, but by the time I pay shipping and FFL fee, it's probably way up over $400 again, plus all the hassle.

As opposed to just walking in, doing a five minute NICS check, writing a check, and I'm gone.  It's still a 120 mile round trip to the city, or a 50 mile round trip to the county seat where there are a couple gun shops.

Just an example.  Big box is going to be your best bet, outside of getting lucky on the consignment rack.  I got lucky in 2009 and got my winchester for $300....  >:D
JD

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2011, 01:19:35 PM »
I recently found a Stevens 311r for $250, and a while back I snagged a Dan Wesson .357 for probably about the same. I'd love a .357 lever gun, but dang they're spendy.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2011, 01:34:30 PM »
FWIW I just checked a local shop that keeps a used firearms section of their website up to date.  They've got a Winchester '94 in 30-30 going for $260.

So, I guess you can still find 'em for less than $300 these days.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2011, 01:47:53 PM »
FWIW I just checked a local shop that keeps a used firearms section of their website up to date.  They've got a Winchester '94 in 30-30 going for $260.

So, I guess you can still find 'em for less than $300 these days.

Okay, so the used ones now cost what the new ones did 4 years ago.  =(

I guess I need to take a whole day to go gun shopping.  Everytime we go to town, we have a long list of things to do.  Last time I was mainly looking for a slug barrel for my daughter's 12g, which I finally found on the shelf at Cabelas.  Also had to get groceries, animal feed, some tack, go to the bank, etc etc etc.  At 120 miles round trip it is a big event every time.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2011, 04:30:03 PM »
J&G Sales used to have a lot of used S&W and other brand revolvers.  I don't know if they still do.  Might want to check their web site.

Back in the mid-90's, my Dad and I got a used Rossi 357 and a used Marlin 44Mag lever guns, $400 for the pair.  I still have the Rossi.
The Puma Leverguns are not too bad.  The basic models without the frills are still under $400 new.  I think that is for 357 and 44.

I actually have a Puma 92 in 44 Mag I was considering selling.  I guess I'd better post it here first when I do or suffer the wrath.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2011, 05:54:08 PM »
J&G Sales used to have a lot of used S&W and other brand revolvers.  I don't know if they still do.  Might want to check their web site.

Back in the mid-90's, my Dad and I got a used Rossi 357 and a used Marlin 44Mag lever guns, $400 for the pair.  I still have the Rossi.
The Puma Leverguns are not too bad.  The basic models without the frills are still under $400 new.  I think that is for 357 and 44.

I actually have a Puma 92 in 44 Mag I was considering selling.  I guess I'd better post it here first when I do or suffer the wrath.   =D

What length is the bbl?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2011, 06:13:01 PM »
Just an example.  Big box is going to be your best bet, outside of getting lucky on the consignment rack.  I got lucky in 2009 and got my winchester for $300....  >:D

I'd save the big boxes for last and troll the pawn shops first....you can find some suprising deals there if you look hard and walk in with cash....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2011, 11:35:57 PM »
And I'd like to be king of all Londinium and wear a shiny hat.  :P  Heavily beat up Smith Model 10s around here usually fetch low $400s.  =(  I haven't even seen a .30-30 around here for over a year.

I actually got one for $200 a couple of years ago. It's a Winchester Model 94, Canadian Centennial commemorative. Someone must have stored it in a tub of acid for six months. It had essentially no finish on the metal, but the wood wasn't bad and the bore looked clean. Local gun guy got it as part of an estate and didn't want to be bothered with it, so I grabbed it. The metal cleaned up pretty well after a lot of work using progressively fine grits of emery cloth, and after some cold blue it came out looking ... serviceable. It's not a show piece, but I'm not ashamed to let someone see it from 30 feet away.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:40:04 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2011, 10:22:41 AM »
I'd save the big boxes for last and troll the pawn shops first....you can find some suprising deals there if you look hard and walk in with cash....
I would suggest a bore light also.  I have heard some of those pawn shop rifles can have shot out barrels.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2011, 10:25:23 AM »
What length is the bbl?
I think it is the basic 20" barrel.  It is not the little shorty they also sell. 
The only caveat is the day I bought, it choked on the first round.  Fired the round okay, but something jammed in the mechanism and it wouldn't eject.  I had to send it back for service and they replaced some part.  It has worked fine for the 50 or 60 rounds since.  I got a Marlin 94 stainless in 44 a year later so this one became extra. 

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2011, 11:29:02 AM »
I think it is the basic 20" barrel.  It is not the little shorty they also sell. 
The only caveat is the day I bought, it choked on the first round.  Fired the round okay, but something jammed in the mechanism and it wouldn't eject.  I had to send it back for service and they replaced some part.  It has worked fine for the 50 or 60 rounds since.  I got a Marlin 94 stainless in 44 a year later so this one became extra. 

I see.

My wife's M92 in .44mag is 20".  I keep my eyes open for 16" bbl 92s, these days, so I can pick up one for my own self (or have my wife expropriate).
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2011, 12:27:36 PM »

I love my little 1894C. I bought it from a friend of mine about 4 years ago for $250. 1978 vintage that was essentially new.
I put an old Weaver K2.5X20 scope on it and blast away.
I've got a "cat sneeze .38 special load that will print clover leaves all day at 25-30 yards, quieter than a .22 LR and just dandy for dealing with undesirable fauna with out disturbing the neighbors.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2011, 01:08:59 PM »
I love my little 1894C. I bought it from a friend of mine about 4 years ago for $250. 1978 vintage that was essentially new.
I put an old Weaver K2.5X20 scope on it and blast away.
I've got a "cat sneeze .38 special load that will print clover leaves all day at 25-30 yards, quieter than a .22 LR and just dandy for dealing with undesirable fauna with out disturbing the neighbors.

Oh, now you're just tormenting me ...    =D

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2011, 01:12:12 PM »
I would like a side by side shotgun, but most seem to be up in or above the pump action price range.  The single shots I see are mostly 20 gauge or smaller, and I'm not sure about the recoil with such a light gun in a 12g ...?

I'd really love a Marlin 94, but it would have to be in either .45 colt or .357/.38 since I already have those revolvers.  I don't really want to add any more calibers (not counting a possible shotgun) and what I'm really trying to do is get more guns in basic calibers like .30-30, .357, .45, and maybe even more .22's.

Recoil in single shots in 12 or 20 ga is all over the place.  If you're like my kids, then it's real light Green Dot loads only good for busting clays.  If your looking for something to do social work (Buckshot and Slugs), then recoil is going to a little rougher.  

So what I looking for this Sunday is a SxS in 12 ga for ~$300 and a Lever Gun in .30-30, .357, or .45 for around ~$300?  
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »

<<<<<<<------- just got a Ruger LCR in 38 Special.

Ooooohhhhhh, send me the recipe please !!!   =D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.