Author Topic: "Off brand" guns  (Read 38876 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: "Off brand" guns
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »
Recoil in single shots in 12 or 20 ga is all over the place.  If you're like my kids, then it's real light Green Dot loads only good for busting clays.  If your looking for something to do social work (Buckshot and Slugs), then recoil is going to a little rougher.  

So what I looking for this Sunday is a SxS in 12 ga for ~$300 and a Lever Gun in .30-30, .357, or .45 for around ~$300?  

I'm really most interested in a lever gun in .357 or 30-30. 
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2011, 02:26:44 PM »
<<<<<<<------- just got a Ruger LCR in 38 Special.

Ooooohhhhhh, send me the recipe please !!!   =D =D =D

That is the really cool thing about revolvers. As long as it does not squib in the bore, you can load as light as you want.  There's a possibility of flash-over detonation (hotly debated if the phenomena really exists though) of light loads that lay too flat in the case and ignite too much surface area at once, but you can solve that with a pinch of dacron or polyester stuffing to hold the powder against the primer and keep it from laying horizontally in the case.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/components/plastic_training_bullets.aspx These are tons of fun. You can use them in the basement, and they can be reloaded with fresh primers dozens of times as long as the box/backstop is gentle enough. (cardboard box full of old blankets/rags works great.) You can do the same with wax, but the reuse-ability of them, and that you can re-load them just with your fingers (not counting the primer, all you need there is a nail or a punch or whatnot though...) makes them way easier than messing with the wax.

They'd also work well for discouraging nuisance animals with no permanent injury too.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:33:41 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »

Anything else ?  There's normally a good variety of guns.  Wheel Guns, Shotguns, anything else you want.  I'm gonna see if I can find an short 870 barrel and make you cry  :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2011, 02:45:02 PM »
Anything else ?  There's normally a good variety of guns.  Wheel Guns, Shotguns, anything else you want.  I'm gonna see if I can find an short 870 barrel and make you cry  :P

Well, the other issue is getting whatever you might find out here...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2011, 03:07:20 PM »
IMO, if you are looking for something that will reach out a little further like 100 yards or more, I would go for the 30/30.  In my experience playing with 357 at 100 yards, the bullet drop is substantial.  It isn't so bad you couldn't correct for it, but it is significant.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2011, 05:23:22 PM »
IMO, if you are looking for something that will reach out a little further like 100 yards or more, I would go for the 30/30.  In my experience playing with 357 at 100 yards, the bullet drop is substantial.  It isn't so bad you couldn't correct for it, but it is significant.

Yeah, but the ammo is "cheaper" (about the price of rifle ammo a few years ago  ;/ ), the magazine holds more rounds, it can be significantly quieter, and it interchanges with my sidearm.

On the flip side, the difference in purchase price would buy quite a bit of ammo, and I suspect this will not be a plinker anyway.  I have a .22 for that.

I've always wanted to try a Marlin 336.  The ones I've handled seem quite a bit smoother than the Winchester 94.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2011, 07:02:47 PM »
I would suggest a bore light also.  I have heard some of those pawn shop rifles can have shot out barrels.

Of course.....caveat emptor and all that.....  ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2011, 07:23:18 PM »
If I ever meet a man who can afford to buy enough ammo to shoot out a rifle barrel, I think I'll shake his hand - or buy him a Daniel Webster cigar.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2011, 12:01:37 AM »
Here's a shot of a dandy little .30-30. Marlin 336 "Texan" with a Leupold 1-4X20. Load was 30 gr ww748 under a 180 gr cast lead bullet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2011, 12:43:58 AM »
If I ever meet a man who can afford to buy enough ammo to shoot out a rifle barrel, I think I'll shake his hand - or buy him a Daniel Webster cigar.

I've seen a lot more barrels abused rather than actually shot out. Poor cleaning methods and poor tools...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2011, 02:30:59 AM »
I'd have to agree there, for certain. I have a rifle that was made in 1871, cartridge gun mind you, that I've personally shot over 2,000 rounds (all reloads, all non corrosive of course) through - I can only GUESS how many tens of thousands of rounds went before mine. It's still got perfectly clean and sharp rifling.

I'm not sure that ordinary shooting without abusing the rifle CAN shoot the barrel out. Clean it properly with the right tools, keep it from rusting, and it'll last many more generations indeed.

The only rifles I've seen with "shot out" bores actually had "cleaning rod eroded" bores. ;)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2011, 11:42:12 AM »
I'd have to agree there, for certain. I have a rifle that was made in 1871, cartridge gun mind you, that I've personally shot over 2,000 rounds (all reloads, all non corrosive of course) through - I can only GUESS how many tens of thousands of rounds went before mine. It's still got perfectly clean and sharp rifling.

I'm not sure that ordinary shooting without abusing the rifle CAN shoot the barrel out. Clean it properly with the right tools, keep it from rusting, and it'll last many more generations indeed.

The only rifles I've seen with "shot out" bores actually had "cleaning rod eroded" bores. ;)

High rates of fire that heat up the bbl will do the trick.  Easier to do on some guns than others.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2011, 11:50:36 AM »

Go to a high power match.

Lots of guys there shoot out rifle barrels every 2-3 years, putting 5-8k rounds through the barrel before replacing it and mounting a new one.  Bi-monthly 50rd matches plus a practice session or two will put 3-4k rounds through a rifle per year.

.30-30 has a LOT more authority downrange than .357.  And significantly better range.  I'd much rather stomp the hills with a .30-30 than a .357 levergun.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2011, 12:11:54 PM »
Go to a high power match.

Lots of guys there shoot out rifle barrels every 2-3 years, putting 5-8k rounds through the barrel before replacing it and mounting a new one.  Bi-monthly 50rd matches plus a practice session or two will put 3-4k rounds through a rifle per year.

But are those barrels actually "shot out" or did they just decrease in accuracy from .25 MOA to .5 MOA, the latter being hardly shot out and still more accurate than most people can shoot...

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »

Same with a handgun
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2011, 12:23:09 PM »
But are those barrels actually "shot out" or did they just decrease in accuracy from .25 MOA to .5 MOA, the latter being hardly shot out and still more accurate than most people can shoot...

Chris

More than 0.25 to 0.5... closer to 0.25 to 1.5.  Which ends up resulting in more 9-ring hits and fewer X's.

Not that I have that problem... :lol:  Wish I averaged as a 9-ring shooter.  I'm averaging 8.5 right now.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2011, 12:43:17 PM »
More than 0.25 to 0.5... closer to 0.25 to 1.5.  Which ends up resulting in more 9-ring hits and fewer X's.

Not that I have that problem... :lol:  Wish I averaged as a 9-ring shooter.  I'm averaging 8.5 right now.

Ok, so "shot out" is a relative term.  1.5MOA would still be a good deer-whacker.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2011, 02:00:50 PM »
Ok, so "shot out" is a relative term.  1.5MOA would still be a good deer-whacker.

Chris

Especially if you sneak up on em and whack em over the head with the buttstock  =D

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2011, 03:32:46 PM »

Chris

M16A2 dispersion requirement is 4MOA or less.  For a new rifle.  I doubt the follow-on rifles & carbines better that.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

PTK

• friends
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2011, 07:24:22 PM »
And, really, 4 MOA is still fantastically accurate when it comes to battlefield effectiveness. :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2011, 07:27:16 PM »
And, really, 4 MOA is still fantastically accurate when it comes to battlefield effectiveness. :)

But it's only 8-ring accuracy for a highpower match.

Guys shooting 490-20x on a 50 shot course won't put up with a 4MOA rifle, when their bodies are capable of 1MOA accuracy.
--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2011, 08:07:20 PM »
Probably lots of 30-30's out there at the target matches  :P

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2011, 09:23:41 PM »

Chris

Most successful deer hunters I know own rifles that might do 3.5MOA on a good day..........
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2011, 06:43:07 AM »
Most successful deer hunters I know own rifles that might do 3.5MOA on a good day..........

Right.  The point was, the barrels were hardly "shot out", they just weren't accurate enough for the intended purpose.  IMO, a "shot out" barrel would be inconsistent, very inaccurate, and probably wouldn't have enough rifling to properly engage the bullet (or have an over-sized bore).

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2011, 09:08:24 AM »
Y'all are probably right on the "shot out" thing.  I still would bring a bore light to inspect any pawn shop rifle to make sure the rifling was in good shape instead of just assuming it was impossible to "shoot out" a barrel.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge