Author Topic: The dog and the wife  (Read 40372 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: The dog and the wife
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2011, 10:35:25 PM »
Sumpnz - good job on the waist size! I'd tell you mine but I have no idea. Not even really sure how much I weigh - I wear a size four and that's really all that matters.

Single Malt? As in Glenfiddich on a rock or two?

Congrats to you and the Mrs. on the new baby! Better you than me!

And it's been a long day. What's SWMBO?

Glenfiddich is what my grandfather drank.  My dad still has a bottle and a half or so left from his stash.  It's OK.  There's much better available now.  And no ice - the cold kills the flavors.  A little water if it's cask strength, but that's it.  And no more than enough to get it down to 40-45%.

I'm excited for the baby.  First two are 7 and 5.  Would have gone for number 3 sooner but there were some serious job instability issues, since resolved of course.
Formerly sumpnz

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2011, 10:59:57 PM »
Ok, ok, beer snobs win that one. Glad to hear y'all are fit and healthy!

BlueStar - thanks! Glad to see another girl on here! And one who will drink a regular old Heineken. My M&P is a 9mm and I LOVE it! Like Avenger said, an expletive deleted awesome gun. What do you shoot most frequently?

I do recall SWMBO now. I used to be one of those. Now I'm the HBIC.

Sumpnz - I actually haven't had a glass of Scotch in about 20 years but my Pop always told me if I couldn't handle my whiskey (his term for anything that contained alcohol) straight I had no business drinking it. So anytime I tried something new, I had to drink three fingers of it neat before I could mix it with anything or even put it on ice. There are several things that didn't make that cut.

Seeker - mindset is good, skill is getting there. Good response.

Now I really am going to clean my gun and get some sleep.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2011, 12:13:28 AM »
Good morning!
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2011, 06:31:55 AM »
My mil specs 1911A1 or xd sub compact in .40 s&w. I also have an old s&w m-19, and .357 mag revolver that my dad got me when I was 16...

I also love the SKS and my WASR 10.

There is more, but it takes too long to spell out.  ;)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2011, 12:05:55 PM »
Cool! I'm thinking my next purchase will be a 1911 as well. I've been advised to get another M&P to serve as a back-up, but I'll get around to that at some point. My brother has a Delta Elite 1911 .45 I'd steal from him if he lived in the same state. 
I'd also like a revolver for old times sake - that's what I learned to shoot with when I was 16 or 17 (those years kind of all run together these days). S&W of course. And pretty.
One of the young guys at the range yesterday had a semi 44 magnum (can't recall now who made it) that I liked. Single stack mag so the grip fit my hand well. Hope he shows up at another match so I can find out more about it. Not saying I definitely want one, but would like the chance to know more.

Good morning Terry. Replied to your message on GRM.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2011, 12:47:18 PM »
One of the young guys at the range yesterday had a semi 44 magnum (can't recall now who made it) that I liked. Single stack mag so the grip fit my hand well. Hope he shows up at another match so I can find out more about it. Not saying I definitely want one, but would like the chance to know more.

Semi .44 Mag? AutoMag or Deagle are the only ones I can think of right away.  If those fit your hand well......I am in awe of your phalanges.

Enjoy you M&P, my wife loves hers.

Welcome to the board, sorry I'm late to this thread, but still, I just grabbed a .44 so could use some ammo for that and another bottle of Highland Park.  12 years old please.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2011, 03:05:43 PM »
Strongly advise springfeild armory.

Or RIA for value pricing.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2011, 09:14:10 AM »
Dogmush - My phalanges are dainty and petite thank you very much. :) I'll have to find out what it was but the mag was single stack and the grip was THIN - even more narrow than my M&P, though my mag is double stack. I didn't care of the actual grips he had on it as they were just too rough to be comfortable. And I'm sure it would still pack a punch with regard to recoil. I shot better than him in every stage but one. Which doesn't really mean anything of course. I'll let you know what it was when I find out. Is your .44 a revolver or an auto? Glad your wife loves her M&P too - I'm thrilled with mine!

Bluestar - Funny but the only 1911 I've fired so far was in fact a Springfield. It'd had some trigger work done (2 lbs) and it was a great shooting gun. It'll be a while though. I'd love it if my budget could accomodate a new toy every month, but not at this point. I'll add RIA to the list of things to be looked into when the time comes. Thanks!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2011, 10:08:03 AM »
My new toy is a color case hardened SA revolver (Interarms Virginain Dragoon). It's soooo much fun to shoot, if not a preeminent combat handgun.

Another vote for RIA 1911's here.  I have 3, 2 of which have multiple thousands of rds through them. (like mid 20's to mid 30's)  The value can't be beat in the sub $600 range.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2011, 04:36:03 PM »
The nice thing about RIA is its perfectly great on its own, but is a good start for a project as well.

You can get one and shoot and enjoy it, till you earn enough to drop the money on some upgrades.

My dad got one, the basic GI, after I, uhh, approprieated his springfeild. He actually likes it better. Its slightly less accurate, but suits his style better, as he likes the old school combat basics without the frills.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2011, 04:45:40 PM »
Am I the only happily married guy on this board? >:D

33 years this year. I'm happy. I got me a good one and I'm not letting her go or doing anything to lose her.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2011, 04:46:55 PM »

depends upon the day
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2011, 05:06:52 PM »

Heck, I've been married so long, that I don't know what's it like to be single.  I wouldn't want to even try.  Best of all, we seem to be getting closer.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2011, 06:57:38 PM »
depends upon the day

and the time of day >:D
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2011, 07:02:07 PM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »
i wasn't gonna go there
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2011, 08:26:58 PM »
i wasn't gonna go there

But around here, you always know someone will... Eventually.

I'm actually suprise it took this long before starting to go down that hill
 [popcorn]

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2011, 09:14:27 PM »
I've told this before.  

RIA:

Double-tapped the first couple of times I shot it.  Polished burrs off disconneter, polished 3-leaf spring and some other slippy-slidy parts.  This happenstance made me institute an addition to Terry's Rules Of Thumb, # 718B

T's ROT 718B:  In any newly-purchased semiatuomatic, load the magazine with only two rounds at first, preferably with some dummies under those.

Found I got slightly better accuracy if I prick-punched the inside of the bushing in 3 places.  When worn down, prick-punch the old punch marks again.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:19:12 PM by 230RN »

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2011, 09:18:21 PM »

Found I got slight better accuracy if I princk-punched the inside of the bushing in 3 places.  When worn down, prick-punch the old punch marks again.

Terry, 230RN

Not sure what that is, but what it sounds like, I can't do.....  :laugh:

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2011, 09:27:49 PM »
A prick-punch is a sharp metal punch, as opposed to a center punch, which has a blunter point to more closely match the point of a drill.  The broader center-punch dimple allows the drill point to center accurately in the punch-hole.

A prick punch provides a slight accurate dimple on the metal right where you want it on the layout lines.  You then place the center punch in the prick punch hole and strike it with the hammer.  Trying to accurately punch a dimple directly with a center punch is difficult because it is so blunt.

There are automatic spring-loaded prick punches, where a hammer is not needed, you just push down on the body on the punch and it places the dimple --bink! --right where you want it.

I went around the inside of the bushing at 120° for each punch.  Did not seem to affect the sighting, but that's because I'm a superb, expert, and experienced machinist and could punch the marks with outstandingly accurate symmetry just by eyeballing the 120°.

(It was also dumb luck, since you couldn't call it smart luck.)

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:43:10 PM by 230RN »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2011, 11:07:09 PM »
But around here, you always know someone will... Eventually.

I'm actually suprise it took this long before starting to go down that hill
 [popcorn]

I may be over the hill, but LadyPine and I will have been married 30 years this November  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2011, 11:35:19 PM »
I may be over the hill, but LadyPine and I will have been married 30 years this November  ;)

Over the hill, my ass.

Doggy Mommy and I will have been married for 23 years in January.  We'll make it to 30 like you two, God willing.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2011, 11:45:01 PM »
Hey!  Take it from a trucker:  it's not 'til you get over the hill that you can pick up any speed at all.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2011, 12:04:31 AM »
How about them Rockies?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2011, 12:05:20 AM »
Hey!  Take it from a trucker:  it's not 'til you get over the hill that you can pick up any speed at all.

Ah cain't pick up no speed... Ah'm subject to randoms.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.