Author Topic: How about a storm thread.  (Read 8046 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
How about a storm thread.
« on: August 26, 2011, 11:52:42 PM »
I don't have much to say.
I'm on high ground, brought all the lawn furniture and other lawn missiles into the garage or shed.
I think the thing is going to be a bust for us on the NJ/PA border. Probably going to just be a lot of rain.
But if anyone wants to watch the storm I set up a web cam.
http://www.livestream.com/birdlaneweathercam
Yes I know its all black right now. Mostly because its night time.
We will see how long I can keep it up. As long as the cable stays I can power on batteries for a while.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Azrael256

• friend
Re: How about a storm thread.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 03:38:07 AM »
You didn't forget to stock up on important storm supplies, did you?

A buddy of mine in NC discovered all too late that he's out of olives, and his lighter quit so he's lighting cigarettes off the stove.  If he loses power, he could be in a nic' fit in minutes, and help could be 24-48 hours away.

I'll go on record predicting this to be the Great August Annoyance and not DEATH STORM - 2011.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 08:38:52 AM »
No, no storm threads. You are invited to start a thread about sunflowers or automotive maintenance.

But no storms.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 08:47:17 AM »
Interesting that it appears you've bugged your own house.  Is that you that's audible in the feed?  Kinda muffled... sounds like "braaaiiiinnnns. braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiins!"

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 08:50:09 AM »
I heard it was Cat 1 and 85 MPH winds.  Don't you get snow storms stronger than that up there?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 09:20:58 AM »
Yeah Cat I is a yawner.  Power outage for a few days, costal flooding if it hits just right, but otherwise.....zzzzzz
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 09:58:25 AM »
It was pretty anti-climactic here. Lost power for all of an hour, not even any street flooding, nothing.
But at least my hurricane plan is back in working order.

No, no storm threads. You are invited to start a thread about sunflowers or automotive maintenance.

But no storms.

Why not butterflies or aquarium maintenance? For instance, how long do you suppose my burr fish could live without the aerator? (sp?) if the power stayed out for a long time? Just curious.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 10:02:02 AM »
Butterflies and aquarium maintenance are also acceptable. Carry on.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 10:56:16 AM »
Interesting that it appears you've bugged your own house.  Is that you that's audible in the feed?  Kinda muffled... sounds like "braaaiiiinnnns. braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiins!"

DD
I just noticed that. I had muted the sound last night, but i had to restart the cam software this morning because if froze up.
I guess it did not save the muted setting. Its feed back because the laptop speakers are on.
If you here anything else its either going to be the dog or my gf talking to the dog.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 10:59:36 AM »
Yeah Cat I is a yawner.  Power outage for a few days, costal flooding if it hits just right, but otherwise.....zzzzzz

I'm thinking its going to be a bust for us also. Maybe a lot of rain and thats it.
Of course all the stores are wiped out. People were even buying booze by the cartload. Yes I was at the liquor store, got to cover the important stuff.
A few months-mods

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 11:12:43 AM »
The wind is starting to pick up here on Ft. Eustis.  Power has already blinked on and off twice and it's raining pretty good. the actual storm isn't due for several hours yet.

looking like it'll be a strong Cat 1 when it gets here.  No biggie except for old/bad infrastructure.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 11:13:15 AM »
Pbbth. When I lived back home, we had Nor'easters that were worse than Cat1 hurricanes. Ash Wednesday storm, anyone? I even delivered newspapers during a hurricane one season... =D
Much ado about...not much. The media is causing all the hype. Big surprise.

Cat1 hurricanes are fun!

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 11:20:32 AM »
Pbbth. When I lived back home, we had Nor'easters that were worse than Cat1 hurricanes. Ash Wednesday storm, anyone? I even delivered newspapers during a hurricane one season... =D
Much ado about...not much. The media is causing all the hype. Big surprise.

Cat1 hurricanes are fun!

That's what I'm saying.  I have beer, chips, water and MRE's.  I'm more pissed that they canceled training through Monday.  I'm not in southern VA because I like it here.  Finish the school and let me go home.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 11:24:36 AM »
I bought a can of pringles, some powdered donuts, and two single serving bowls of cereal from work Friday before I left.
Already ate the donuts and pringles :(
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 11:30:12 AM »
That's what I'm saying.  I have beer, chips, water and MRE's.  I'm more pissed that they canceled training through Monday.  I'm not in southern VA because I like it here.  Finish the school and let me go home.
Sounds like you are all set.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 11:42:28 AM »
I bought a can of pringles, some powdered donuts, and two single serving bowls of cereal from work Friday before I left.
Already ate the donuts and pringles :(
Ah so your not one of those idiots that bought more perishable food than a football team could eat in a week.
I then get pissed when the power is out it goes bad.

I planed ahead by putting the grill in the garage. At least I will be eating good.
I have a stash of freeze dried goodies also. Besides all the other non perishable stuff in the house.
A few months-mods

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »
I never by perishable food anyway.
My eating habits lately have me eating a complete meal only once a week or not at all.
It's great.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 12:45:11 PM »
Sustained winds of 39mph are predicted here.  That means the wind will be going 14mph faster than traffic on the interstates.

Richmond is a "Storm Prepared City" - I know so 'cause the signs they put up say so.  But the floodwall gates are still open and nobody has closed down the wastewater treatment plant that regularly overflows straight into the James River half a mile upstream from the water treatment plant inlet site.  They have not even started up the pumps at Battery Park http://www.wtvr.com/wtvr-battery-park090827,0,6523342.story http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/did-racism-cause-flooding-in-battery-park/Content?oid=1385062 http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2011/may/11/TDMAIN01-richmond-prepares-for-next-big-flood-ar-1030440/

Stopped off at the grocery store and picked up 2 jars of mayo - never want to go without again, as God is my witness!  Also got some chocolate milk for my cereal tomorrow morning.  Need to bulk up 'cause I'm going to the gun show.  Gonna check and see how many MREs are left after today. :laugh:

Y'all make sure your water wings are inflated.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 01:13:56 PM »
88F and clear, winds 9mph her in Indy.

All the bars and liquor stores are open and well stocked.

No reports of rioting or panic buying at the Indy 1500 Gun Show.

Dog is fed and asleep in my dad's lap.  (Dad's asleep in front of the TV).
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 04:24:39 PM »
Hmmmpf.

Stopped at a Burger King on US-1 a couple of hours ago for a burger and Coke. There's a large-ish gas station and convenience store across the highway from BK -- they must have sold out of gas completely, because the whole pump island area was blocked off with yellow tape.

Either they sold out, or there was a murder-death-kill over gasoline and CSI secured the pump area as a crime scene ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 04:40:01 PM »
Yup, daughter had a nice pile of potential missile type wood pallets for a future bonfire. They have been sitting there for a while. There was only one thing I could figure to do with them to prevent potential hazard. It involved fire so I was thinking of you guys.  ;)

She just found out and says to me, "You could have dragged them into the basement you know." I said, "Oh yea? Ok." and laughed. The yard looks a whole crapload better now.  >:D

:laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 06:11:28 PM »
So as you can see from the fire, it was dead calm all day. Eerie actually. Round about 5:30 I saw the leaves start to stir. So I guess it begins. It has been raining pretty good on and off but no wind at all till just a little while ago. FYI for those who might be interested, I live in Hebron CT which is about 15 miles southeast of Hartford. I'm about 50 miles from the coast. On a hill.  It's always windier up here. :P
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 06:16:30 PM by 280plus »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 06:16:25 PM »
Butterflies and aquarium maintenance are also acceptable. Carry on.

I find that keeping butterflies in my aquarium really increases the maintenance issues....

Glad to hear that all managed the storm well....in solidarity, I also took precautions to survive Irene....mainly it involved taking my wife to a nice steakhouse for dinner, buying a new printer to replace the one that bit the dust, and going to see ONE DAY at the theater....

....well, it would really have been relevant to this thread if my wife was named Irene.....

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 07:30:13 PM »
Listening to Virginia Beach Police and Fire on Scanner Radio Pro. Sounds like there are some trees and lines coming down.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 08:25:42 PM »
All is boring here in c-ville.

Kinda disappointed actually. I was hoping the road would flood so I could jave a little extra sleepy time before work. Oh well....

Had a nice long nap this afternoon though with a cool breeze coming in the window and the sounds of rustling trees.

No power outage, but for some inexplicable reason, we lost power for several hours the other nght, so I guess we are even.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds