Author Topic: 35MM Film Cameras  (Read 6033 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
35MM Film Cameras
« on: September 18, 2011, 07:20:38 PM »
Can anyone give me a reason why I might want to still keep my OM2N? I can't think of one, but maybe I'm missing something.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: 35MM Film Cameras
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 07:40:43 PM »
Whats film?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 07:44:37 PM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 07:58:32 PM »
I keep my half dozen Petri SLR cameras because I can.........................chris3

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 08:06:51 PM »
I still have my Nikon FE2 ......haven't used it in ..... :facepalm: ....... I forget!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »
I still have my Nikon FE2 ......haven't used it in ..... :facepalm: ....... I forget!

Same here with my Nikon N70, which really isn't that old, and I've got a Yashica 124 that's been upstairs in a pelican case too even longer.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 08:13:26 PM »
It depends on the camera. The newer ones, especially the Rugers, can be safely loaded much higher than the off-the-shelf film, and achieve quite respectable shutter speeds. The older ones aren't made for that. Even so, with modern film designs, 35mm is capable of more-than-acceptable results on whatever you're shooting.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 09:13:33 PM »
do they make a digital back for that model?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 09:18:11 PM »
I gave up on film after I found out just about all film development center had switched from wet prints to "lightjet" printing.  The latter is where they develop the negative, scan, and project the image onto light sensitive paper (think movie projector).  If they're going to digitize the print, why bother with the middleman (the negative)?

Some still do traditional wet prints, but in the NoVA/DC/MD area, they can be counted on one hand, are expensive (probably cost you $50-$100 for a full roll), and a PITA to get to.

Chris
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:54:19 AM by mtnbkr »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 10:21:36 PM »
I've still got my Contax RTS . . . haven't used it in a while . . . but I've got a LOT of prints, negatives, and slides I'd like to digitize. (Including some my Dad took during WWII)

Can anyone recommend a good film scanner?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 11:00:09 PM »
It depends on the camera. The newer ones, especially the Rugers, can be safely loaded much higher than the off-the-shelf film, and achieve quite respectable shutter speeds. The older ones aren't made for that. Even so, with modern film designs, 35mm is capable of more-than-acceptable results on whatever you're shooting.

I see what you did there and I salute you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 11:33:02 PM »
Can anyone give me a reason why I might want to still keep my OM2N? I can't think of one, but maybe I'm missing something.

To save me the cost of having you ship it to me.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 01:35:16 AM »
If you need to dispose of the OM2n, you can ship it to me and I will place it in my camera retirement facility alongside my other OM bodies, which are well-cared-for and exercised regularly.

You could always try using it. You will probably find that it works exactly the same as it always has. It's not like the commoditization of semiconductor image sensors remotely disabled all the film cameras of the world. You should shoot pictures with it while you can still get high-quality film.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 08:22:09 AM »
I think American chain restaurants might start screwing film SLR's to the walls as decoration, along with the various canoe paddles, feed store tin signs, and traffic lights etc. sometime around the 2040's...

The market might pick back up then.
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 10:49:22 AM »
Pfft... I've been trying to sell a mint Canon Elan IIe for $45 on Craigslist.  Not a single taker, though I could have sold it a dozen times overs to the idiots who call and ask "Is it really thirty five megapixels!?". (the description reads "35mm film body")

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 11:05:23 AM »
I'd keep it Ben. Never know when an EMP is going to wipe out that second-rate Nikon you insist on using....
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 11:21:45 AM »
I'd keep it Ben. Never know when an EMP is going to wipe out that second-rate Nikon you insist on using....

Ouch.

Good point though. With a Canon, all you have to do is wind it up, so no EMP worries. :P

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

P5 Guy

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 12:01:46 PM »
I resisted the all automated cameras for years. Mamiya 645 was all manual and I felt I was actually making images with it and my knowledge. But I got talked into coming into the twentieth century and bought a Nikon 70 and a batch of autofocus lenses and my favorite film became unavailable. And then the maker stopped processing it.
So taking a beating on the value of the Nikon stuff I bought a Nikon D3000 and a couple of zoom lenses.
A lot less forethought goes into taking photos now. I used to have to remember to get the film out of the freezer a few hours before using it. Now I just grab and run off for some picture taking. I still don't have the same feeling of making an image as with that old Mamiya but now I'm a resident of the twenty first century, more or less.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 12:02:17 PM »
I gave up on film after I found out just about all film development center had switched from wet prints to "lightjet" printing.  The latter is where they develop the negative, scan, and project the image onto light sensitive paper (think movie projector).  If they're going to digitize the print, why bother with the middleman (the negative)?

Some still do traditional wet prints, but in the NoVA/DC/MD area, they can be counted on one hand, are expensive (probably cost you $50-$100 for a full roll), and a PITA to get to.

Chris
I like my old mechanical film cameras.  If you can guesstimate the exposure (and that's not hard to do with C41-process film), they work fine without batteries.  My favorite camera is a Canon A1, but it has an electronic shutter that let me down once shooting in very cold weather.
"It's good, though..."

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 07:21:53 PM »
Ouch.

Good point though. With a Canon, all you have to do is wind it up, so no EMP worries. :P

Good slam!  =D

That looks an awful lot like a Nikon though...

zxcvbob - you don't happen to have darkroom equipment do you? I had one room in my basement plumbed for a darkroom when I built a house years ago. Big regret that I never got around to setting it up. What I wouldn't give now to have the full set-up.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 07:40:23 PM »
No darkroom stuff, except for one enlarging lens that I mounted to a bellows; it makes a good macro (micro?) lens.  I almost bought an enlarger just before B&W film became an endangered species.  It's amazing how fast the changeover to digital happened.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:44:06 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 08:07:08 PM »
It was pretty amazing. I resisted as long as I could but eventually went digital as well. It has it's benefits of course. I regularly shoot a couple hundred images or more at events or when traveling. No way could I afford to do that with film.

Still. Wouldn't it be fun to find an old Omega enlarger and a nice selection of chemicals and paper and lock yourself in the dark for a few hours? So miss that.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 08:52:16 PM »
the Micro 4/3 and the APS-C systems are intriguing.  Most digital SLR's are unnecessarily large and heavy (and expensive, but that's coming dow), and P&S cameras have way too small sensors and no viewfinders.  Pisses me off when I see all the marketing hype about more and more Megapixels! on cameras as if that were a good measure of image quality.  Higher pixel count really just means more noise unless you increase the sensor's physical size.  So how about holding the pixel count down to something reasonable for a small camera (like about 6M) and put a little more into the glass?
"It's good, though..."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 10:10:04 PM »
I used to have to remember to get the film out of the freezer a few hours before using it

Say what now?

Don't have a 35mm, but I did recently pick up a Rollei 16. Actually got it for a Kolchak the Night Stalker costume I'm doing for Halloween, it's the camera he uses. Now that I have it I actually would like to be able to take pictures with it, it's such a cool little camera. Don't really know where I can get film for it though.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

zahc

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 11:17:31 PM »
I used to have to remember to get the film out of the freezer a few hours before using it

I jam film into the camera straight out of the freezer all the time. I'm bad at pre-planning.

I almost bought an enlarger just before B&W film became an endangered species.
Are you honestly misinformed? B&W film is as much available today as ever; in fact the selection is probably better than at any time in history. Sure, the chain "photo" stores no longer carry real photography stuff of any type, but CVS still sells Tri-X.

Still. Wouldn't it be fun to find an old Omega enlarger and a nice selection of chemicals and paper and lock yourself in the dark for a few hours? So miss that.

??

There's nothing stopping you. I have a darkroom and I use it weekly. If you find an enlarger, it will probably be nearly free, although I notice that prices are slowly rising from negative to extremely cheap. If you shoot a big enough camera, you can always contact print in your bathroom.

I repeat, just because they invented digital cameras doesn't mean film does not work anymore.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine