Author Topic: Walking dead season 2 tonight  (Read 72477 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Walking dead season three, life on the farm.
« Reply #200 on: February 29, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »
Because Ben said Zoey. Surely, no APS moderator could misspell Zoe's name without being fired, right? He must have been thinking if someone else.

Someone hacked into my account. Yeah, that's what happened.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #201 on: February 29, 2012, 12:29:19 PM »
I've said other places that if I were in some sort of situation like this, my preferred close in weapon would be a Japanese Katana or Naginata. Relatively silent, effective, and an arms reach kind of weapon.

Firearm choice?

Easy. A .22. Something like a Ruger 10/22 with a bunch of high-cap magazines. Relatively quiet, which is a huge benefit, when the zombies are drawn by sound, not much kick so very fast recovery time, fairly easy to suppress by do it yourself means, and will do more than enough damage to the brain to stop a zombie.

This.
Suppressed (or not) 22LR with a decent scope, plus as much ammo as you can carry.
Go to a reasonably tall structure (say 30-50ft)
Destroy the access to it (bring a rope)
Start shooting zombies.

Lets say you can carry 40 bricks of 22LR, and you average one to two shots per zombie,
And zombies can hear an unsuppressed 22 out to a mile or so.
That's 10,000-20,000 zombie kills, or fully depopulating an area with a population density of 6-12,000/sq mile...or a VERY dense city.
(note, assuming they on average get 50yds away, that's a pile of zombies 50yds in radius and only 1-2 zombies deep.

Pour some fuel oil on the zombie pile, light, and leave
Then, move to a new location and resupply.

That's 150lbs of ammo (and about $1000-1200 bucks)

In terms of rate, let's say zombies travel at a slow shamble (about 0.5-1 mile per hour), you will have to shoot quasi-rapid fire (a shot every 1-2 seconds) to prevent a zombie-pile from reaching your 30-50ft altitude.

But still, this shows that with careful planning, zombie depopulation even in dense cities is totally reasonable

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #202 on: February 29, 2012, 02:39:58 PM »
The only problem with that would be what was shown in a previous episode... zombie herds. You'd constantly have to worry about the area being repopulated with zombies.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #203 on: February 29, 2012, 04:29:27 PM »
Technically this IS still Season 2.  Just the back half.

For Season 3 (16 episodes!), the Governor will rear his head up - and he's been cast already. David Morrissey, a British actor, will play the part.
That part was made for Tom Savini.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #204 on: February 29, 2012, 05:17:59 PM »
The only problem with that would be what was shown in a previous episode... zombie herds. You'd constantly have to worry about the area being repopulated with zombies.

Then you simply repeat.

Since zombies can't shoot back, the optimum tactic is physical separation combined with shooting them.  Since they can't climb a smooth wall, only pile against it, the best tactic is then to surround an area with a wall, and shoot them when they get close. 

We saw in the mot reent episode, a chain-link fence will hold them (temporarily), so have multiple fences, and just walk up and shoot them in the head once the herd gets close.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #205 on: February 29, 2012, 05:32:58 PM »
Would nerve agents have any effect on zombies?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #206 on: February 29, 2012, 05:42:01 PM »
Someone hacked into my account. Yeah, that's what happened.
Wow, you and Anthony Weiner, eh? 

Should we expect the requisite gray underwear shot upcoming?  =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

birdman

• friend
« Reply #207 on: February 29, 2012, 05:51:01 PM »
Would nerve agents have any effect on zombies?

Probably...but they have bad effects on people as well, while a bullet is hopefully only dangerous to the one it's aimed at. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #208 on: February 29, 2012, 05:58:30 PM »
Wow, you and Anthony Weiner, eh? 

Should we expect the requisite gray underwear shot upcoming?  =D

Maybe if you're really lucky. Get your dollar bills ready!
 =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #209 on: February 29, 2012, 06:39:05 PM »
Probably...but they have bad effects on people as well, while a bullet is hopefully only dangerous to the one it's aimed at. 
So a Super-Soaker filled with Tabun isn't the soundest plan for fighting zombies? :laugh:
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #210 on: February 29, 2012, 09:18:56 PM »
Maybe if you're really lucky. Get your dollar bills ready!
 =D

Terroristic threat! J'accuse!

http://www.dhs.gov/files/reportincidents/see-something-say-something.shtm
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #211 on: February 29, 2012, 10:28:11 PM »
Because Ben said Zoey. Surely, no APS moderator could misspell Zoe's name without being fired, right? He must have been thinking of someone else.

No remoullade for you, heretic...  :P
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2012, 08:36:42 AM »
No remoullade for you, heretic...  :P

No grok the reference.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2012, 06:39:34 PM »
No grok the reference.

Not talking to you....Ben just channeled my inner Soup Nazi....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2012, 06:47:55 PM »
Not talking to you....Ben just channeled my inner Soup Nazi....

Hey man, don't be hatin' on my gator and remoullade! :P

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2012, 04:38:02 PM »
 I thought last night episode was pretty awesome, with a cool set up for the season finale next week.

It was beginning to look like Shane was really getting tooo used to killing as a means of overcoming personal obstacles.

SPOILER ALERT

I'm guessing that Rick having to kill Shane will be a subject of contention, I also predict that everyone except Glen and The redneck bow/arrow guy whose name I can't remember will save everyone from the herd of walkers coming their way.

People are now turning as soon as they die, and last week or so they had the two security/cops who had turned without obvious signs of being bitten...does anyone remember people dieing without turning last season? It could be that it was always that way but they never noticed due to it was always ..... no wait...those guys in the bar, they got shot/ died without turning....did they receive head wounds?

Interesting

anyway, two thumbs up.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2012, 04:49:04 PM »
"no wait...those guys in the bar, they got shot/ died without turning....did they receive head wounds?"

Yes. Rick shot the guy behind the bar square in the forehead, then shot the fat guy in the chest. Then he finished him with a shot in the side of the head.

I've not seen yesterday's episode yet, but I'm not surprised that Rick killed Shane. That's been coming for some time, and it removes the primary bad guy to make way for the Governor.

The episode the week before this one, where Dale bought it?

I so wanted Carl to die... He's turning into a little shitbird.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2012, 04:58:12 PM »
SPOILER

The bite doesn't turn you, the bite just kills you.
You die without brain trauma, you turn.
it's in the comics.

Basically, everyone is infected.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:03:56 PM by birdman »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2012, 05:02:48 PM »
Maybe that little tidbit is what Dr. Jenner whispered to Rick at the end of season 1 just before he blew himself to hell and back.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2012, 05:08:21 PM »
I so wanted Carl to die... He's turning into a little *expletive deleted*bird.

I so agree. On another forum, someone commented after he got shot that, " I hope if he gets better that he walks in front of another deer, or maybe a gorilla". I'd be good with that.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2012, 05:22:42 PM »
if rick knows that the un head shot reanimate, did Carl just wreck his planned opportunity to kill shane twice?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

erictank

• friends
« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2012, 06:04:01 PM »
Maybe that little tidbit is what Dr. Jenner whispered to Rick at the end of season 1 just before he blew himself to hell and back.

That's my guess.

That episode (last night's, I mean) rocked.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #222 on: March 12, 2012, 06:07:29 PM »

I so wanted Carl to die... He's turning into a little *expletive deleted*bird.

I'm guessing that this is one area where the tv show and the comic will remain the same: Rick and Carl are the primary focus of the show.  Nobody else is safe, but those two will make it no matter what.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2012, 06:44:01 PM »
At least Carl learned the lesson that actions have consequences. Dale was dead regardless. Wish his mother was as aware. I knew as soon as Rick started the road agent spin move that Shane was toast.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #224 on: March 12, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »
SPOILER

The bite doesn't turn you, the bite just kills you.
You die without brain trauma, you turn.
it's in the comics.

Basically, everyone is infected.

Then why didn't Rick put a bullet through Shane's skull?   Non sequitor.       
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero