Author Topic: Walking dead season 2 tonight  (Read 72468 times)

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Re: Walking dead season three, life on the farm.
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2012, 08:22:04 PM »
if there is any justice in the world, Lori will DIE =D

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #226 on: March 12, 2012, 08:48:38 PM »
If there's any justice in the world, this series would die....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #227 on: March 12, 2012, 09:00:19 PM »
If there's any justice in the world, this series would die....

:facepalm:

Lots of series - freaking near EVERYTHING ELSE ON TV - that are far more deserving of that fate.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #228 on: March 12, 2012, 09:31:30 PM »

Then why didn't Rick put a bullet through Shane's skull?   Non sequitor.       

I think he was about to...that's why he was watching so closely.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #229 on: March 12, 2012, 10:29:13 PM »
Watched it. Pretty good episode.

What I want to know, though, is if the kid's neck was broken, how the hell was he up and walking around?

As Jenner said, just the parts of the brain that get you up and moving come back, which infers that the motor neuron control function is still valid. With an interruption in the pathway between the functional part of the brain and the somatic motor neurons, how the hell was the kid fully mobile?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2012, 10:37:12 PM »
Zombie magic.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #231 on: March 12, 2012, 10:40:45 PM »
 :facepalm:

Of course. Silly me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #232 on: March 13, 2012, 09:38:11 AM »
I still don't see why everyone is so down on Lori.

I think Andrea is a far bigger drag on both the group and the plot.

I think, though, that with her having semi-allied herself with Shane, her days are numbered.

I have a funny feeling she won't make it past next season.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #233 on: March 13, 2012, 10:00:43 AM »
In almost every crisis, Lori has a) stck her head in the sand, or b) acted foolishly to worsen the situation. Examples:

-When Carl wanted to learn to shoot, her response was "my poor baby's just been shot, I don't want him around evil GUNZ!!!" Even though he was shot in a hunting accident, which could easily have occurred before the zombie freaking apocalypse when their survival wasn't at stake.

-She runs off alone and completely unprepared to save her man in the bar in town, putting herself and others at risk for no particular reason other than her irrational compulsion to suddenly take part in action she's insulated herself from previously.

If I were a woman, I'd been insulted by the writers' treatment of her character. Andrea has issues, but hers are more understandable (losing her sister) and she's been more actively involved with decisionmaking, so I find her more consistent and credible.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #234 on: March 13, 2012, 10:02:28 AM »
Yup.  Everyone seems ticked that everyone hasn't turned into warrior gods ready to smite anything in their way.  They failed to realize that these are "normal people" and have different levels of aggression, ability, and skills.  Lori is a mom and a suburban housewife, she's naturally not going to be Zena Warrior Princess from the outset.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #235 on: March 13, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
And that's different from what every other character in the show has done/has not done has reacted/has not reacted.... how?

Seems to me that none of them are particularly well equipped to deal with a world full of zombies, or totally comprehend how their world has changed.

Where's the hate for Glen? He's not Turbo Asian Combat Dude, he just stood there with his shotgun and a blank expression on his face while Rick blew those two guys away...

Where's the hate for Herschell "They're going to find a cure for the sick people in my barn" Green?

The way I view it, Lori and Dale were the only ones who were trying to hold on to the last lingering shreds of normalacy and humanity.

Hell, even Dale wasn't catching any of the flack that Lori did, and he just got himself ripped to shreds.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #236 on: March 13, 2012, 10:20:12 AM »
Speaking of boobalicious warrior princesses, did you see that Lucy Lawless got herself arrested with some Greenpeace protestors in New Zealand.

There you go, the biggest reason for Lori not becoming Zena the Zombie Killing Warrior Princess... She doesn't have the boobs for it.  ;/

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #237 on: March 13, 2012, 10:30:14 AM »
I thought some folks bitched about Glen, Dale, and Herschell as well.   It seems the only character that met approval was Shane and he's dead now.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #238 on: March 13, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »
"I thought some folks bitched about Glen, Dale, and Herschell as well."

Certainly not in this thread...

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #239 on: March 13, 2012, 10:44:53 AM »
You're both overinflating/misinterpreting my argument. The character development and human reaction to inconceivable stressors is part of what I like about the show. The question is why people are hating on Lori in particular. I provided two examples which don't equate to Glen choking under pressure, Dale trying to preserve his humanity, Herschel being isolated and not understanding the scope of the situation, or my secret ninja or Xena fantasies.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

HankB

• friend
« Reply #240 on: March 13, 2012, 10:50:41 AM »
Glen had been dealing with walkers in the city for a while when he met up with Rick. (Didn't he actually save Rick in Season 1?) It was out of character for him to just stand by with a vacant look on his face so Rick had to take out those two bad guys in the bar by himself.

"Disarmament" Dale sounded so reasonable, but his constant desire to disarm everyone else was wearing. (Notice he rarely put down his rifle . . . for all the good it did him in the end when he wandered off by himself in the dark.)

Herschell was deluded . . . but he finally wised up (thanks to Shane) and looks as if he may finally have his head screwed on right . . . unless the writers decide to have him crawl into the bottle.

Shane actually had some good points, but his personal issues involving Lori were blown up to the point where he became a caricature, murderous and unstable.

What's the real problem? Remember the old adage that "Too many cooks spoil the soup?" I think there are too many writers (or too many front office suits editing the writers) to maintain a good, consistent story line.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #241 on: March 13, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »
Yeah, actually they would equate to exactly all of that.

There are people claiming that Lori is sticking her head in the sand in not wanting her son to learn to use a gun.

What do you call Herschell refusing to admit that rotting people eating living people is anything other than sticking his head in the sand and refusing to address the reality of the situation? I personally call that burrowing into the sand up to your butt.

If anything, Lori had the better ultimate response to the situation. She listened to counter arguments, saw the logic, and acquiesced.

Herschell, on the other hand? OMG, I was wrong, these people WERE dead, not sick! I shall respond to this new realization by running away into what is possibly a zombie filled town to drink myself into oblivion.

Sigh.

Lori is also excoriated for her poor crisis performance. Ok, she gets worried, grabs a car, and drives to town. No, not bright. But, she took a gun with her, and after the accident she still managed to kill two of the walkers who were trying to eat her.

If Glenn freezing up in the middle of a shootout isn't poor crisis performance, then what is? And, he didn't just freeze up, he CONTINUED to freeze up -- in the bar, in the storage room, behind the dumpster. His underpants were probably so full of poo that they were unrecoverable.

Even Dale wasn't too damned bright. Knowing that the group was short on water, fuel, and just about everything else he was more than happy to pilot that gas-sucking RV through that traffic jam on the interstate without even considering that it would be a good idea to stop and scavenge....

Granted, all of this is a television show.

But, given the myriad, obvious, and glaring flaws that are written into each character, I still wonder why Lori is the lightning rod.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #242 on: March 13, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »
"It was out of character for him to just stand by with a vacant look on his face so Rick had to take out those two bad guys in the bar by himself."

Disagree.

Walkers are dead. Glenn shows an amazing difference in reaction when it comes to walkers vs humans.

Case in point, he and Maggie are in the drug store when a walker attacks her. He jumps to the rescue and kills the walker with a shelf, essentially his bare hands.

But in the bar, those two guys were alive.

I think that's the difference. Glenn's character has disassociated walkers from humanity, and thus all the barriers that prevent him from reacting are gone.

But put a human antagonist  up against him? He's never going to be very effective. That's why I think his role in the Governor story line is going to be very.... interesting.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #243 on: March 13, 2012, 12:28:31 PM »
"It was out of character for him to just stand by with a vacant look on his face so Rick had to take out those two bad guys in the bar by himself."

Disagree.

Walkers are dead. Glenn shows an amazing difference in reaction when it comes to walkers vs humans.

Case in point, he and Maggie are in the drug store when a walker attacks her. He jumps to the rescue and kills the walker with a shelf, essentially his bare hands.

But in the bar, those two guys were alive.

I think that's the difference. Glenn's character has disassociated walkers from humanity, and thus all the barriers that prevent him from reacting are gone.

But put a human antagonist  up against him? He's never going to be very effective. That's why I think his role in the Governor story line is going to be very.... interesting.
This analysis is spot-on. Remember, after they dropped him into the well to kill the walker, Glen told Maggie he felt it was a game and forgot about the reality of the situation.

Regarding Lori, you make good points. Bottom line, I don't know, the character/performance just particularly annoys me.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #244 on: March 13, 2012, 12:46:32 PM »
"Glen told Maggie he felt it was a game and forgot about the reality of the situation."

I'd forgotten about that. Yes. Game is a good word for it. Glenn is of the video game generation in which zombies feature prominently, and there have been true life cases of people acting out violently with the claim being that they lost the bubble between reality and video game fantasy. In that sense, Glenn has lost the bubble. When it comes to zombies, he's in a real-life video game.

Lord knows there are weeks when I don't feel quite right because there's not an XBox zombie game scheduled for release.

But I know I'll feel better the week after when TWO are scheduled for release. :D

Hum... Maybe Glenn would do better with human adversaries had he played a little more Call of Duty.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:08:32 PM by Mike Irwin »

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #245 on: March 13, 2012, 01:08:24 PM »
To expand on that, I recall when I used to play a lot of Quake (I and II) on my company LAN after hours, the drive home at night felt a but surreal, as if i were watching the road through a computer screen.  There's something about intense 1st person gaming and your perception of reality shortly afterward.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #246 on: March 13, 2012, 01:09:54 PM »
I simply can't go to bed right after an intense gaming session.

If I lay down and try to go to sleep, I end up replaying the game even before I go to sleep.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #247 on: March 13, 2012, 03:11:26 PM »
I have a mount for my phone on my windshield and have recently discovered you can activate the camcorder while driving.  Sooo Cool  =D
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #248 on: March 13, 2012, 05:16:31 PM »

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #249 on: March 13, 2012, 07:17:07 PM »
OK, that's funny, but it was a pedestrian who caused it.

Damned foot traffic! :D