Author Topic: 9-9-9 : The APS debate  (Read 25462 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
9-9-9 : The APS debate
« on: October 19, 2011, 04:36:25 PM »
Where do you stand on the 9-9-9 plan?

On the surface I like it...

But I immediately distrust the very idea of authorizing Congress to collect a sales tax.  Just like Bachman said, the federal Income Tax was initially miniscule when it came out.  Now, it's the biggest piece out of people's paychecks if they make more than $50k a year or so.

And I strongly resent that people making under a certain threshold, effectively don't pay federal taxes after their annual refunds.

I also like the idea of putting tens of thousands of CPA's and H&R Block/Jackson-Hewitt folks out of the paper-pushing business and into proper, productive work.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: 9-9-9 : The APS debate
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 04:48:33 PM »
Pros: 
Everyone should pay taxes.  And that rate should be the exact damn same thing.
The lowering of corporate and income taxes will make goods and services cheaper.  Not immediately, but it will help.

Cons:
The VAT, I do not like.  Not one bit. 
First, it is a direct tax on the poor. At a time when food and other basic goods are at thier most expensive, we're going to add a 9% tax?  :facepalm:
Second, I don't like that it gives congress access to something they've talked about before.  9% today, and in a few years, 15%. Or 20%. 

overall:
I give him credit for stepping up and coming up with a plan.  While the Governors Goodhair beat each other up over illegal alien yard crews, he's standing there saying "listen, America is broke.  Here is my plan."
He's stated before that it will only work with spending cuts, too.  I don't see the pigs in the house and senate giving up thier orgy of spending.  I think it will be D.O.A.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 06:10:18 PM »
I don't like the idea of a national sales tax -- not the least bit. 

9-9-9 is a great concept pointed in the wrong direction.

9% spending cuts in the next 30 days.
Another 9% in the following 30 days.
And a third 9% 30 days later.

No discussion of tax increases.  Talk only of spending reduction.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:18:18 PM »
I think it is a good plan, maybe not what I'd call ideal, but I think it's the best on the table.

Pros-
Simple and transparent, everyone pays the same percentage. Removes a big burden from doing business, investing, etc. Overall taxes are lowered, while the same or more is brought in by making everyone pay in. Also, sales tax ensures everyone pays something, illegals and such included.

Cons-
Like all taxes, it has the danger to creep. I think the sales tax portion should also exempt the sorts of goods most state taxes exempt, such as food medicine and basic clothing.

I think the thing that puts Cain at the biggest disadvantage with the plan is that he is over simplifying it. If he got more detailed such as what he would exempt, where those tax zones would apply, what language would be in the bill preventing increases, etc. he could gain a LOT more support for it.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 06:56:23 PM »
The democrats will take this and turn it into 90-90-90   :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 07:35:03 PM »
I prefer the 9-0-9 Plan (sales tax YES, income tax NO)....but 9-9-9 is better than what we got now.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 07:42:03 PM »
Well, it's a pretty decent plan to transition to "the fair tax."
The tax would be 9%; in the law there's a clause stating the congress would require a 2/3 supermajority to raise the tax.   This may not prevent it absolutly -- but there's nothing preventing taxex from being raised now except that the republicans in the house would block it.
Ultimatly it's WHO WE ELECT.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »
I'm against the sales tax portion. In some states people would be paying nearly 20% sales tax. We might as well be Europe at that point. If there was a way to limit maximum sales taxes at the state level to something reasonable, I'd be more inclined to buy into a national sales tax.

I'm big on a simplified income tax though, if done fairly -- i.e., the threshold for a free ride would need to be a pretty low income. I'm a firm believer that everyone should have to pay at least something, just to have some skin in the game and know that entitlements don't come free.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 08:26:50 PM »
I wouldn't mind a sales tax instead of an income tax. People would be reminded daily how much the Government takes. But a sales tax and an income tax? No.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 08:58:46 PM »
They way I hear it is, eliminating all the hidden taxes on products would cause the retail price of products to decrease.  The savings would be a gain for the consumer.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 09:47:54 PM »
They way I hear it is, eliminating all the hidden taxes on products would cause the retail price of products to decrease.  The savings would be a gain for the consumer.

That's how I see it.  Sure, you are paying 9% on top of something but if the price dropped 15% because the company making that something is suddenly saving a crap-ton on taxes, it's a win.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 10:34:03 PM »
I'm against the sales tax portion. In some states people would be paying nearly 20% sales tax.

Not if the citizens of that state jumped on their state politi-critters and got their state sales tax cut down.....unless, that is, they want the Feds to be the only gov't collecting taxes and issuing "a fair share" to each state.....  [barf]
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 11:04:13 PM »

It wouldn't be immediate. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 11:26:08 PM »
I'm conflicted.

I don't want any type of consumption tax so long as we have an income tax.

However, worse than our taxes being too high, they are arbitrary.(1)

So, is it my preference? No. However, he's the only candidate with a plan to simplify the tax code. For that, he gets my attention for the effort. (In addition, Art Laffer supports the plan; that's another big plus.)

(1) By that I mean that a media outlet hired three different accountants to do a hypothetical return. They came back with three different results.

So they asked the IRS which one was right. The answer was "any of them could be right."

The IRS can't even say what your exact tax bill is.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 11:34:26 PM »
In my mind, spending is the problem; taxes are the symptom.  I know I'm somewhat preaching to the choir here, but we need to cut spending so that we can cut taxes.  Do I like Cain's plan?  Not the sales tax, but I deeply respect the cajones required to float a specific plan, and I like the concept of everyone paying the same tax rate.  However, I don't think he gets the problem: real cuts on spending.  I'd like the federal government so small that we don't pay any federal income taxes.

I'm with Ron Paul. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 11:48:26 PM »
VAT is the worst tax made by humanity thus far.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 12:03:41 AM »
If you want less of something, tax it.

What we have now may be worse than 9/9/9 but I hate the idea of letting the VAT/consumption tax sneak in under the guise of tax reform.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 12:32:46 AM »
People would be reminded daily how much the Government takes.

That's a good point that not enough people are talking about. But couldn't the same be accomplished by eliminating withholding and going to a low, flat income tax with fewer exemptions and exceptions?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 12:37:27 AM »
There's a couple of things about it that don't get mentioned.

One: it's revenue neutral, screw that. Cut gov by a bunch and make it a 4-4-4 plan and you might get my attention.

Two: What about tariffs? There's a whole area that could be simplified as well. How about making it a straight 3% for anything coming in, with no quotas in effect and then having the other things also be 3% for a 3-3-3-3 plan that spreads out the pain far and wide yet still generates enough revenue for Constitutionally authorized  government expenses.

Three: What about a Georgist style land value tax? If you're going to tax consumption at the Federal level why not property? Make it and everything else 2% for a 2-2-2-2-2 plan and it would cost to more to evade the taxes then it would to just pay them. And it would be near impossible to escape them. Of course given how much government wastes doing any task, collection should be privatized for maximum efficiency.

Convince states and cities to do the same thing, after privatizing everything that should be in the productive sector, and you'll never pay more than 6% (in a city) on anything. In fact if enough stuff is privatized you might be able to have a 1-1-1-1-1 plan. Which would make it a max of 3% on anything of economic value you do. It would be difficult to credibly complain about such a tax structure.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 03:57:01 AM »
That's a good point that not enough people are talking about. But couldn't the same be accomplished by eliminating withholding and going to a low, flat income tax with fewer exemptions and exceptions?

1. Need I explain an obvious way in which anybody can avoid paying income tax, especially in a free-market society? Not that I care.

2. Make that "no exemptions". If you left 1,000 exemptions in the tax code (I suspect this is a miniscule number compared to what is happening now) they would multiply again - into 1,001, 1,010, 2,000, 2,000000 exceptions.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 05:38:50 AM »
I'm against the sales tax portion. In some states people would be paying nearly 20% sales tax. We might as well be Europe at that point.
Yes, sales taxes would go up. But making up for that is the money never taken from your paycheck in the first place which balances it out, and collects tax only on taxable items.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 07:19:29 AM »
I'm conflicted.

I don't want any type of consumption tax so long as we have an income tax.

However, worse than our taxes being too high, they are arbitrary.(1)

So, is it my preference? No. However, he's the only candidate with a plan to simplify the tax code. For that, he gets my attention for the effort. (In addition, Art Laffer supports the plan; that's another big plus.)

(1) By that I mean that a media outlet hired three different accountants to do a hypothetical return. They came back with three different results.

So they asked the IRS which one was right. The answer was "any of them could be right."

The IRS can't even say what your exact tax bill is.

This is close enough, I'll shamelessly plagiarize leverage it.

Also, a national sales tax != VAT.  Some of the GOP Cain-bashers deliberately conflate the two, hoping to confuz other folk.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 08:30:32 AM »
However, he's the only candidate makattack takes seriously with a plan to simplify the tax code.

FTFY
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 08:49:32 AM »
I would support a consumption tax - call it a national sales tax, VAT tax, whatever - ONLY if it completely REPLACED the income tax.

Anything that combines a NEW tax with a temporary reduction (and trust me, the reduction WILL be temporary!) in the income tax will not end well.

I don't know why Cain hasn't embraced the FAIR tax; it's not perfect, but it's a vast improvement over what we have now and seems to be very workable.

Yes, sales taxes would go up. But making up for that is the money never taken from your paycheck in the first place which balances it out, and collects tax only on taxable items.
Quote: "But . . . but . . .  whut abouts my welfare check? They doesn't take nuthin' from dat now, and I'se a gunna hafta pay MO fo my beer and butts!"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 08:51:31 AM »
FTFY

I'm sure Mr. Paul has a plan too. And you're quite right that I don't take him seriously.

I've thought more on this overnight and came to one conclusion: A good plan now is better than a perfect plan next week.

Is 9-9-9 perfect? Heck no. Is it good? I would say, yes, it is a significant improvement and therefore, good.

I will support Mr. Cain's plan. I am not yet to the point of supporting Mr. Cain, but his plan, at least, has my support.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought