Author Topic: Ketchup on Steak  (Read 2871 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Ketchup on Steak
« on: November 24, 2011, 07:05:52 PM »
Grilled Ribeyes for dinner tonight and seasoned with simple salt and pepper.

Caught my daughter pulling out the ketchup to put on her piece of steak.  Yelled at her and stopped her from making a huge mistake.  She wound up eating it without anything on it.

My son drowned his in A1 before I could catch him.

My wife put a little A1 on hers.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Ketchup on Steak
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 07:20:34 PM »
And now your daughter has all kinds of hurt feelings ....   =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 07:21:19 PM »

She will thank me in the long run.  All I asked her was to try it without the ketchup first.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 07:25:52 PM »

She will live.   =|

I remember drowning steaks in ketchup and whatever else I could find as a kid, because my mom always bought crappy cuts and cooked them until they were like shoe leather.

I cook quality ribeyes medium rare with a light dusting of Nature's Seasons (essentially salt and pepper with a few other spices thrown in) on each side.  Heavenly  =)

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 07:26:47 PM »
That is exactly what I did DD.  Salt and pepper were the only seasoning used.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 07:29:57 PM »
I vote you change the title of this thread.

I just at a huge thanksgiving dinner and just the thought of ketchep on steak makes me feel ill.
 [barf]

Good parenting though. Its important to teach children to respect a good chunk of meat.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 07:36:10 PM »
I'm guessing you don't cook your stuff well-done?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 07:36:48 PM »

Do for the wife and kids, but not for me.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 07:56:19 PM »

There is a diffrence between well done and taste like leather.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »
so?

How they like their steak may not be how you either like your steak, or feel that it should be eaten.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 08:38:41 PM »
Each to their own.

I like my steak very rare, wife likes her's medium well. So when I buy a whole ribeye, I cut mine 1" thick and her's 1/2" thick that way they are done at the same time.

I do like a little horseradish once in a while with my steak.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 08:40:48 PM »
I like garlic butter, preferably with an emphasis on "garlic".
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 08:41:51 PM »
so?

How they like their steak may not be how you either like your steak, or feel that it should be eaten.

The whole point was to get them to taste the food before they drown it in extra stuff.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »
I like Heinz 57 on my steak.  Like it medium rare with an emphasis on rare.  Swmbo grinds her teeth when I slather on the Heinz.  I like horseradish sauce on prime rib, too.

Thing is, people like what they like.  I have never been able to understand why others see fit to criticize how others like their food.  Seems rather controlling or manipulative; closet left wing, commie, pinko, dirty hippyish. :P =D =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 08:57:58 PM »
"The whole point was to get them to taste the food before they drown it in extra stuff."

They've never had a grilled steak before?

If not, why not hold the salt and pepper and let them taste it before it's drowned it in extra stuff?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 09:02:29 PM »
Hey, the man is trying to point his daughter towards the path of steak righteousness.  He showed her the way.  The rest is up to her.   :P

Nothing wrong with enhancing a steak's flavor a bit.  If you're just going to drown a good steak in ketchup or other spices / sauces, do it to a hot dog instead and leave the steak for someone who truly appreciates it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 09:09:03 PM »
"The whole point was to get them to taste the food before they drown it in extra stuff."

One man's drowning is another man's life preserver.

And, oddly enough, the OP didn't use the phrase drown to refer to his daughter or her foray into catsup land.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 10:20:40 PM »

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 10:31:04 PM »
Wasn't there some general or admiral or something who would judge a man's character by whether he tasted his food or not before adding seasoning?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 11:48:25 PM »
I like Heinz 57 on my steak.  Like it medium rare with an emphasis on rare.  Swmbo grinds her teeth when I slather on the Heinz.  I like horseradish sauce on prime rib, too

Heinz 57 what? The "57" is part of the Heinz logo. Their ketchup is "Heinz 57," as is everything else they sell.

That said -- my daughter can't eat anything if it doesn't have ketchup on it. Period. Further, she's nearly 17 years old and she STILL hasn't learned how to squeeze ketchup out of one of the newer squeeze-type bottles without dragging the flip top through the glob of red goo on her food. She then closes the lid over the mess.

Drives me bonkers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

erictank

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 05:24:15 AM »
Heinz 57 what? The "57" is part of the Heinz logo. Their ketchup is "Heinz 57," as is everything else they sell.

That said -- my daughter can't eat anything if it doesn't have ketchup on it. Period. Further, she's nearly 17 years old and she STILL hasn't learned how to squeeze ketchup out of one of the newer squeeze-type bottles without dragging the flip top through the glob of red goo on her food. She then closes the lid over the mess.

Drives me bonkers.

Heinz 57 is a steak sauce.  Orangey stuff - I used to love it, and still like it a bit.  Was great on chopped steak at Furr's (a cafeteria in Austin TX I used to go to as a kid).

My stepdaughter does the same thing with our ketchup squeeze bottles. She's FOURTEEN now :facepalm:.  Strongly considering going back to the plain old glass bottles, if I can find them at the store.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 05:54:22 AM »
Jackass French (but I repeat myself) waiter attempting to teach two American kids about the subtlties of food and the flavors/tastes to be experienced meets up with my sister and her omlet at breakfast.  Sister would not eat any egg without at least twice as much ketchup by volume as egg.

After pleas, imprecations to the gods and Le Cordon Bleu to prevent her from drowning it in ketchup, les flics (French cops) are summonsed to the table to intervene in the name of diplomacy and sanity.  One of the French cops agrees with my sister to actually taste egg with ketchup, and then discusses it in rapid-fire French with his companion, who then also tastes it.  The two of them end up sharing my sister's breakfast while the waiter commits a theatrical version of hari kari worthy of Le Leon D'Or (Yes, the French version of an Emmy).

Of course this was the same sister who ruined her life several times over via marriages to losers, birthing two children that had to be ultmately raised by their grandparents, and otherwise demonstrating that more than likely I was adopted but nobody would ever tell me.

For the record, I am of the opinion that ketchup is good only for bad fake blood in cheap theatrics.  And that goes for catsup as well!

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 12:27:47 PM »
Me, I like the taste of ketchup and will put it on steak most of the time. However, I DO taste the steak 1st! Some are good enough that to put the "nectar of the gods" on them would be a sin, the rest are just steaks.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 12:33:15 PM »
My tastes in steaks are pretty simple: a thick, boneless ribeye, patted dry, seasoned on both sides with Johnny's Seasoning Salt and then quickly seared to a crusty brown exterior and a cool pink interior at 115-120 degrees.  

On lesser steaks, I may enjoy a dab of Lea and Perrins steak sauce or some gorgonzola butter.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 12:57:42 PM »
Worchestershire sauce.

That is all...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.