Author Topic: oopsie  (Read 7639 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
oopsie
« on: December 10, 2011, 08:34:41 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/dec/8/gop-leaders-hit-by-backlash-on-immigration-law/

can we say back peddle?

same reps that pushed it through want a mulligan now?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: oopsie
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:43:52 PM »
Two foreign workers for Honda and Mercedes were recently stopped by police for failing to carry proof of legal residency. The cases were quickly dropped, but not without lots of international attention that Alabama officials didn’t want.

Um... what's so freekin' hard about carrying your green card with your driver's license?

I say prosecute 'em.  I don't care if they're the President of Honda Motor Corporation, here on a business visit.  If he doesn't have a stamped Japanese passport authorizing him to be here, deport his *expletive deleted*ss.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 09:47:05 PM »
Um... what's so freekin' hard about carrying your green card with your driver's license?

I say prosecute 'em.  I don't care if they're the President of Honda Motor Corporation, here on a business visit.  If he doesn't have a stamped Japanese passport authorizing him to be here, deport his *expletive deleted*ss.

Plus one.

They are in a foreign country.  They had best carry their docs.  Just like I had to when visiting a foreign country.  

I bet the nitwits don't forget their docs next time.  
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:19:23 PM by roo_ster »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 09:54:08 PM »

I say prosecute 'em.  I don't care if they're the President of Honda Motor Corporation, here on a business visit.  If he doesn't have a stamped Japanese passport authorizing him to be here, deport his *expletive deleted*ss.

Works for me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 11:16:45 PM »
Backpedaling?  No, our renowned repukeagains' spines have gone all linguini-like. :mad: :mad: :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 09:33:33 AM »
you folks need to share your method for determining who needs to carry their papers?  how do you look and tell?

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-02/alabama-counties-ordered-by-state-to-stop-demanding-proof-of-citizenship?category=%2Fnews%2Fmostread%2F

at least this was honest
A lot of people agreed with that law when they passed it,” Ogle said. “Little did people know that it doesn’t just apply to the Hispanics, it applies to everybody. Most people didn’t understand that
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:43:48 AM by cassandra and sara's daddy »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 12:41:36 PM »
Of course it applied to "everybody."  You can't pass a law today against only one "group" of people.
One Alabama town (and dang it I can't remember the name of it) had an immediate drop in unemployment after this law went into effect.  The illegals left and ~~SURPRISE!!!!! ~~ unemployed AMERICANS found work at last!  
 :O :O

One local radio talk show host (Dale Jackson, for those of you who care) has pointed out that the farmers, poultry producers, et al, who want the illegal labor, essentially are using the same argument slave owners used 170 years ago.  They said the south "needed" slave labor to be competitive.  Now employers claim they "need" to have illegals working -- for "slave-labor" wages.  
You can think what you want about Jackson's argument, but the fact remains that when you hire non illegals you have to pay them atleast minimum wage, and that's gonna drive up the cost of that iceberg letuce.
And other things.
Deal with it.
 >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 02:20:38 PM »
Let me see if I understand this. Two foreigners were caught without the papers that give them permission to be in our country, and they're embarrassed, right? Their employers are apologizing and have have had a little talk with them, correct?

That's the only way I can see this making any sense.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 02:58:41 PM »
you folks need to share your method for determining who needs to carry their papers?  how do you look and tell?

Who is "you folks"?  And why do "you folks" need to share a method for determining who needs to carry their papers?  I'm pretty sure that none of use were the ones who implemented this law. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »
Let me see if I understand this. Two foreigners were caught without the papers that give them permission to be in our country, and they're embarrassed, right? Their employers are apologizing and have have had a little talk with them, correct?

That's the only way I can see this making any sense.

This. With bells on it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 06:55:47 PM »
do you carry papers proving your status?  will i have to?  its funny some of the same folks who i would expect to be railing against big brother.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 07:28:27 PM »
do you carry papers proving your status?  will i have to?  its funny some of the same folks who i would expect to be railing against big brother.

From the article:

Two foreign workers for Honda and Mercedes were recently stopped by police for failing to carry proof of legal residency.

There's a WHOLE LOTTA MISSING INFO HERE, csd.

Cops don't just stop people for "looking immigrant-ish."

There was probably a moving violation involved on the roadway.

I carry a driver's license as well as other forms of ID while driving.  CCW permit, SS card, vehicle insurance, health insurance, credit cards, etc.  Lots of various forms of ID.

They probably:
-failed to provide a valid State driver's license.
-failed to provide a valid State ID card.
-failed to provide valid insurance.

I got NO PROBLEM with someone that doesn't have proper vehicle and self-documentation, being sent back home.  You shouldn't be operating 5000+ lbs of steel on the road if you're not playing by the same rules as the rest of us.  Go home, in shame, explain it to your supervisors back in Germany or Japan, and come back if you aren't fired.

But with the right paperwork.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 08:39:51 PM »
From the article:

There's a WHOLE LOTTA MISSING INFO HERE, csd.

Cops don't just stop people for "looking immigrant-ish."

There was probably a moving violation involved on the roadway.

I carry a driver's license as well as other forms of ID while driving.  CCW permit, SS card, vehicle insurance, health insurance, credit cards, etc.  Lots of various forms of ID.

They probably:
-failed to provide a valid State driver's license.
-failed to provide a valid State ID card.
-failed to provide valid insurance.

I got NO PROBLEM with someone that doesn't have proper vehicle and self-documentation, being sent back home.  You shouldn't be operating 5000+ lbs of steel on the road if you're not playing by the same rules as the rest of us.  Go home, in shame, explain it to your supervisors back in Germany or Japan, and come back if you aren't fired.

But with the right paperwork.

no no no....see, Alabama is in the south, so it must be populated by spiteful, hateful hicks.  Of course they were pulled over for looking immigrant-ish....  ;/

If you are contacted by police and they really want to know who you are, you will be expected to provide some level of identifcation. 
What is your driver's license if not papers? COLB?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 09:40:32 PM »
Actually, I think I'm going to have to agree with CSDaddy that something is fishy here. Here's why. We know that people only support these laws because they are flaming racists. But suddenly, the same racists who supported this now suddenly care that some furriners were inconvenienced by good, upstanding white police officers? That just doesn't make sense.

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 07:52:47 AM »
my drivers license does not provide proof of legal residency. do we need our birth certificates and passports in alabama now?  it would appear so.  unless cops are making a judgement call on who is and who isn't legal. i know i got asked for my green card once on a job site and the way i pronounced a common compound word that starts with mother and ends in er appeared to demonstrate i was good to the officer.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 08:46:42 AM »
my drivers license does not provide proof of legal residency. do we need our birth certificates and passports in alabama now?  it would appear so.  unless cops are making a judgement call on who is and who isn't legal. i know i got asked for my green card once on a job site and the way i pronounced a common compound word that starts with mother and ends in er appeared to demonstrate i was good to the officer.

To get a driver's license, you have to prove legal residency.  At least, in most States you do.  I don't know about yours.

AZ requires presentation of residency-proven Driver's License from another State, birth certificate or passport (other hard-to-get documents also, but these are the big 3 that are accepted), along with other info.  There are 4 States whose licenses we don't honor for purposes of proving legal residency... Illinois, New Mexico, Utah and Washington.

So... you're wrong about your license unless you live in one of those 4 States.
--Lysander Spooner

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 01:38:48 PM »
nice of you to be able to say i'm wrong.  it must be those same powers that enable one to determine how to tell if someones papers need checking just by looking.  i've had my license quite a while  pre  911 and i can assure you no check of my legal status was done then or at any of the renewals .which i can do by mail now.

so we are back to how do the cops determine when they need to get papers?  i am shocked to see some of those staunch libertarians who i can usually be relied on to get all twisted over every possible "outrageous intrusion of big brother" , real or imaginary, being so out of character and willing to swallow this. i suspect the quote from the link above explains that pretty well

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 02:39:45 PM »
An interesting comment, from someone well-known for always backing the badge. ;)

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 03:00:40 PM »
An interesting comment, from someone well-known for always backing the badge. ;)

yawn....
anyone got a real answer or comment?
or maybe fistful can hitch his pants higher and give it a shot?  did you show proof of residency when you got your license?  if you go to alabama you prepared to bring passport etc?

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 03:05:57 PM »

yawn....
or maybe fistful can hitch his pants higher and give it a shot?  did you show proof of residency when you got your license?  if you go to alabama you prepared to bring passport etc?
Pretty sure I had to show my birth cert when I got my license (TX).

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 03:07:46 PM »
In Indiana, I had to show a birth cert.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 03:11:29 PM »
I'm fairly certain I was required to show a birth certificate for my first license. After that, the license itself sufficed for legal status.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 03:26:13 PM »
when i showed my certificate it was before you were required to be a legal resident.  my moms certificate was from japan and no green card required.

interestingly enough after my state mandated hiatus from driving when i went back to get my license they never looked at my ids at all. i was expecting them too but they never did.  i guess she thought only the owner would claim my record

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 05:55:12 PM »

yawn....

Yawn. You got specifics of the case, how they ended up checking for legal residency? If so, help us out. If not, why aren't you just assuming the police had their reasons, as you usually do?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »

yawn....

Fisty, hitchin' his pants up:

:laugh:
--Lysander Spooner