Author Topic: New Leatherman tool  (Read 3020 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
New Leatherman tool
« on: January 20, 2012, 08:20:48 PM »

I have more multi tools than Quaker has oats, it seems. I had been looking for a smaller multi-tool that would not take up so much room in the dress slacks, and still have a pliers, knife blade, scissors and screwdrivers. I was doing some searching, came across a couple reviews of a new Leatherman tool, and snapped it up from Amazon.

The Leatherman Wingman is a medium-sized tool that is nicely rounded to fit in your pocket. It has all the necessary tools I need, and a very nice set of spring-loaded pliers and scissors.  I have found that I use the scissors, knife blade, pliers and screwdrivers, in that order, on a multi-tool.

The most surprising part was the price.  Around $ 25 at the typical big box store.  Well worth your attention, in my view.

PS: This will be replacing my Leatherman Blast as my every day carry.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:47:15 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: New Leatherman tool
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 08:45:04 PM »
thanks
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 09:15:43 PM »
Nice.  I have a few multi- tools, but they are a pain to carry around in a pocket, so I never have one with me when I need it.  I'll have to take a look at this one.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:30:08 PM »
How is it "nicely rounded" enough to be pocketable?  Do the pliers jaws fold away somewhere?

Me, I just picked up a more classic tool, a Victorinox Deluxe Tinker.  Includes pliers of a sort, more suitable for picking zits than crunching walnuts or fingers. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 09:33:34 PM »
How is it "nicely rounded" enough to be pocketable?  Do the pliers jaws fold away somewhere?

Me, I just picked up a more classic tool, a Victorinox Deluxe Tinker.  Includes pliers of a sort, more suitable for picking zits than crunching walnuts or fingers. 

All the way inside just like the other models.

I carry a Wave every day. Although it's main use is to keep the Keltec P32 with CTC laser in it's pocket holster from tipping over in my pants.

(The P32 stays up okay on it's own, never actually flips so it could always be drawn, but the Leatherman Wave fills the gap in my pocket so the holster stays perfectly placed.)
I promise not to duck.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:35:37 PM »
I pack around one of the wiring specific micro tools along with a more traditional pocket folder clipped to my pants.

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Squirt_ES4

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 10:09:08 PM »

yea the view shown is unfolded  the pliers are encased when folded i carry without the case and its nice
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:46:45 PM »
I pack around one of the wiring specific micro tools along with a more traditional pocket folder clipped to my pants.

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Squirt_ES4

Have you ever had the conversation that starts with: "Here, let me get you the squirt in my pocket..."
I promise not to duck.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 10:48:59 PM »
Have you ever had the conversation that starts with: "Here, let me get you the squirt in my pocket..."

For that very reason I simply call it a Leatherman...   ;)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 10:49:42 PM »
I've got a skeletool now and it's *expletive deleted*ing pimp!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

robear

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 12:21:26 AM »
I've been carrying a Leatherman Juice CS4 for the last few years.   Love it.    Definitely more expensive than the Wingman, but it has all the tools I need, and fits perfectly in the little 'coin pocket' of my jeans.

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Juice_Cs4

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 12:27:47 AM »
I've been carrying a Leatherman Fuse for years in my backpack. I modded it with a pocket clip, but it's still pretty bulky and doesn't really fit well in a pocket. I haven't yet found a pocket-size multitool that I really like, which is unfortunate since I like having a pair of pliers on me. The problem is pocket space since I also carry a SAK Tinker and a Spyderco Delica with me. I didn't know Leatherman had made the Wingman, I might check it out.
Andy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 12:20:48 PM »
Still can't fly with it  =(  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »
Still can't fly with it  =(  :mad:

Can if you check it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 02:54:37 PM »
Can if you check it.

$25 to check a $25 knife  =|

Cheaper to just hit the first Walmart and buy a $5 folder and then throw it away  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 05:11:20 PM »

Cheaper to just hit the first Walmart and buy a $5 folder and then throw it away  ;/

Meaning that you can put it in a checked bag if you have one.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »
This will be replacing my Leatherman Blast as my every day carry.

The Blast was a good, budget replacement for my slightly worn Supertool (late nineties model, not the wide-body type they make now.) It has most everything the old Supertool has, plus scissors. They normally retail for $50-55 around here, but Bass Pro marks them down to $35 every couple of months or so.

The Supertool kind of fits in the nylon sheath for the Blast (at work), and I've started carrying the Blast in the worn, leather Supertool sheath when not at work. I just had to fill in the bottom of the longer, leather sheath with a chunk of eraser. Works great.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »

I haven't flown in a while but it would cost me $25 to check a knife in my checked baggage?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 07:42:38 PM »
I haven't flown in a while but it would cost me $25 to check a knife in my checked baggage?

It won't cost any extra for a knife in your bag.  You don't even have to declare it.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 08:11:35 PM »
my daily carry is the original leatherman.  i use every tool on it, but the can opener, on a weekly basis.  it has saved me hundreds of trips to the truck.  the only drawback is the lack of a positive blade locking system.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 08:55:27 PM »

It costs $25 to check a bag now.

So I like most people just get by with carry-on (sounds like something dead) but you can't take a knife in carry-on so you would have to check a bag for that  :mad:

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 09:04:16 PM »
I just bought a Wingman and a Kick from LA Police Gear. I'm impressed with the Wingman. The Kick is underwhelming in its ergonomics and action, which is very stiff.

ETA: Huh. I actually got the Sidekick, but the frame reads Wingman.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:43:29 PM by SADShooter »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

zahc

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 10:18:36 PM »
I have an Original, but I don't carry it because I find it too heavy to pocket carry, and I don't feel like hanging anything else off my belt.

If I buy another leatherman, it will definitely be a Crunch.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 02:06:59 AM »
It costs $25 to check a bag now.

So I like most people just get by with carry-on (sounds like something dead) but you can't take a knife in carry-on so you would have to check a bag for that  :mad:

Unfortunately anymore with a rare exception when I fly I have more than a carry on worth of stuff to take.  But then again it is on orders and I don't get charged for my bags at that time.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 07:52:48 AM »

No, just to check a  bag at all, is what they mean.  The knife is no extra - you could check a bag full of knives.

Team Sexual Assault and/or the baggage handlers would rob you blind if you did, but you COULD do it.