Author Topic: Any railroad buffs or train-spotters here?  (Read 15622 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Any railroad buffs or train-spotters here?
« on: January 22, 2012, 02:22:33 PM »
I'm taking a class on railroad history and I just wondered if there were any rail-heads on the board.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Any railroad buffs or train-spotters here?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:56:28 PM »
guilty as charged
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 03:14:52 PM »
Partial railroad buff.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »
I like to stop at railroad crossings.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 03:30:55 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 04:05:58 PM »

I'm not, but my dad is.

When I was a kid, we went to some railroad club. They had an auction to raise money for their club. First place was a massive fully built platform, probably five foot by ten foot. With buildings, terrain, a complete train, etc. My dad tossed in $50 or whatnot. I put in a dollar.

I won. I tried asking the guy doing the drawing if I could have a cheeseburger from the concession stand instead. I think my dad nearly strangled me. Still has the platform in the basement and uses it regularly.  Whenever he passes on, will have a couple hundred HO gauge trains to dispose of. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 04:48:38 PM »
Yep.  

I like trains.

Especially the ones that stop at Tucumcari.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 04:57:25 PM by Angel Eyes »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 05:01:10 PM »
Somewhat. My lady at the time has gotten me a ride up front on a steam locomotive as part of her job. Also go to see the behind the scenes car repair shop at Tweetsie Railroad. Silly theme park but a real locomotive shop equipped to do heavy work.

This place was pretty cool, good food too. http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Oklahoma/Heavener-850318/Restaurants-Heavener-TG-C-1.html

I've ridden a fair amount of tourist trains, Cass, WV is cool for the geared Shay locomotives, Flam Norway is the steepest non-gear locomotive in the world, climbs about 4,000 ft in 12 miles.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 05:07:17 PM »
I have yet to ride a train. Would like to. My pa's pa worked on the track for Santa Fe.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 05:16:22 PM »
I have yet to ride a train. Would like to. My pa's pa worked on the track for Santa Fe.

There is a really railroad collection at the St Louis Transpostation Museum.

Also take the wife and take a little weekend trip to Chicago via Amtrak.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 05:58:09 PM »
There is a really railroad collection at the St Louis Transpostation Museum.

Also take the wife and take a little weekend trip to Chicago via Amtrak.

The first I have done two or three times, and the whole class is going this spring. Weird, but better than having a final exam.

The second we have been meaning to do forever.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 06:34:40 PM »

I rode the short-haul car on the Alaska Railroad.

You get on at some station and then ride a few miles up the line where they drop you off in the middle of nowhere at whatever mile marker that you request.

They don't let you ride in the fancy domed glass tourist cars.

Back in the 1970s it was pretty informal.  We handed our backpacks and rifles straight up to the guy in the baggage car.

You flag them down when you are ready to go back to town.

Coming out of the bush, it gets pretty ripe in that car with a bunch of folks who haven't seen a shower in days or weeks or months or ......
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 06:43:30 PM »
I rode the short-haul car on the Alaska Railroad.

You get on at some station and then ride a few miles up the line where they drop you off in the middle of nowhere at whatever mile marker that you request.

They don't let you ride in the fancy domed glass tourist cars.

Back in the 1970s it was pretty informal.  We handed our backpacks and rifles straight up to the guy in the baggage car.

You flag them down when you are ready to go back to town.

Coming out of the bush, it gets pretty ripe in that car with a bunch of folks who haven't seen a shower in days or weeks or months or ......

A guy I met last spring did that a couple years ago but with a canoe and canoed down some river system for a few months.

Uranus is a gas giant.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 07:08:53 PM »
My mom's husband is a bit of a train nut. A treat for eric is taking him to see a train. Mom and him went somewhere where they have a steam replica that you can ride in. Mom had to pull him off the engine before he got caught climbing on it.  :lol:

He also likes trolly cars, but he's less obsesive since he got to work on them and his company blew one up...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 07:20:21 PM »
A guy I met last spring did that a couple years ago but with a canoe and canoed down some river system for a few months.

The Big Sue ?  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 07:45:47 PM »
Had some fun times riding Thai trains in the late 1960s, especially when I quit riding in air conditioned comfort with a bunch of other westerners and started going second and third class with the locals on the locals.  Generally, the passenger trains had modern diesel power, the freight trains wood burning locomotives built in Switzerland around 1905 to 1915.  the woodburners were pretty to see but, as I learned the hard way when a diesel broke down, hell to ride behind unless you were waaaay back in the train.

While knocking around Australia, I did a few weeks as a gandy dancer aligning and leveling a road when all the automated equipment broke down or died in collisions.  Strictly manual, muscle powered work in weather where temperatures exceeded 120 °F in the shade.  There is no shade on a rail right of way.  When I bothered to keep track, I found I was drinking and sweating over 12 gallons of water daily.  Most of our work was alignment, moving the rails with 8 foot bars shoved into the ballast and levering the rails to the satisfaction of a Thursday Islander gang boss.  Taking a water break required standing your bar in the ballast and aligning it with the sun so that it had no shadow.  Even then it was necessary to soak your shirt before leaving the water tank so you could cool the bar before grabbing it.  Failure almost always led to blisters.

So, no, on balance, I am not much of a rail fan.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 08:31:13 PM »
Yes, I'm a bit of a rail fan. Know a lot of the history and such...the early diesel era is my favorite part to study.

Guess it comes from my utter obsession with all mechanical equipment...right up there with aircraft, military vehicles, ships, construction equipment, firetrucks, etc...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 08:39:09 PM »
If it ain't steam, it ain't squat.....................................chris3

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 10:48:11 PM »
I rode this one every hour and a half, every day, for 3 months.  I was the engineer for one trip and the conductor for another.

http://cripplecreekrailroad.com/

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 10:56:33 PM »
I rode this one every hour and a half, every day, for 3 months.  I was the engineer for one trip and the conductor for another.

http://cripplecreekrailroad.com/

I did that ride some time ago, that was fun!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 11:45:55 PM »
The Big Sue ?  =|

Not sure what river, just remember the story about riding the train with a canoe and getting out in the middle of no where.

Uranus is a gas giant.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 12:58:23 AM »
Does this count as a train   ???

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 01:34:19 AM »
Big iron.

Big stuff to work on that big iron..

Big pistons.

Big boilers.

Big.

When I was a kid we had a big (N gauge?) setup.  It was too big to do anything but one circular track around the living room.  I think the individual cars and loco were 10-12" long, if that sounds right.

I took two live steam trips, one to upstate New York in the late forties, one to Florida in the early fifties.  Not that I really appreciated it at the time, but I remember the dining car service and food was outstanding. Shiny spotless glasses of ice-cubed water that wiggled and danced and clinked as the train rolled along. White elegant knapkins, black elegant waiters.  Smell of the coal.  Metronome of the tracks.  Tunnels. Three-noted whoop of the whistle.

Later lived on farmlet near Burlington and Northern Tracks, all diesel by then.  Walked across the pasture toward the tracks with my second son, six. Coal train to Valmont Power Plant rumbling by slowly because of the RR crossings, catch eye of engineer, one arm hanging out of cab.  Poke son, say, "Watch this, boy," raise arm in pulling whistle chain motion.  Engineer grins and gives us loooooooong couple of blaaaaats on the horn.  Kid delighted, still remembers that, thirty years later.

Love live steam.  Built a few model engines, not locomotives, but horizontal, in my machine shop out of found materials like an MG automobile wheel brake cylinder, double action piston valved.  Others mostly oscillating-type.  Ran off compressed air, no boiler, no steam.  Oh, well.

Union Pacific 844 parked at Union Station in Denver a couple of years ago, open for tours of the cab.  Converted to diesel-fired boilers.  Smelly.  Valve linkages big as your leg. Big drivers taller than I.  Imagined big lathe to turn and true those wheels. 

Big iron.

Big stuff to work on that big iron..

Big pistons.

Big boilers.

Big.

Terry, 230RN

ETA:

844 at Union Station ca 2007(?), shrouded for streamlining:

My own pic with a chemical camera that knocked around in my backpack for years.  Wheels are 80" (203 cm) in diameter.  That valve link (vertical arm with slot in it) is actually as big as your leg.

They had to keep pressure up on a standby basis to run a little turbine genset to power up the concession stand in one of the cars.  I jokingly offered to run an extension cord from my office for them, and the engineer laughed but said that because it took more than a day to bring pressure up from cold, they had to keep fire on the boiler anyhow.  You could hear the firebox roar intermittently as it automatically turned itself on and off... you can do that with oil-firing.  Interestingly, according to the engineer, they drained the water from the boiler whenever they shut down completely because they could not use anti-freeze in the boiler water. 

REF:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_844
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:25:24 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 02:38:54 AM »
Love railroads and trains.  Used to be into it real big.  My grandfather had one hell of a set up in his basement before they moved into a smaller place.  He set up a small N guage set-up that was a moveable table top set-up.  I think it went to a cousin when my grandfather passed and bet it doesn't exist anymore.

There is a railway museum in OKC that I have yet to visit.  It is on the to do list.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 03:46:35 AM »
I toured the Forney Rail Museum when it was downtown and it was quite impressive.  What stuck to me most at the time was a little "Popcorn Engine" on a popcorn-making machine. It's purpose was to stir the popcorn to keep it all evenly heated.  Sorta like this, but not exactly:

http://www.balmoralsoftware.com/vt/dl/popcorn/engine.jpg

See, the monkey turns the crank, which turns the popcorn tumbler, which turns the engine...
 =D >:D

Pretty little engine, all chrome or nickel-plated.

I haven't visited it lately because there's too much walking involved.  My sons went there, however, and they really liked it.

Terry, 230RN

REF:

http://www.coloradorailroadmuseum.org/

http://www.forneymuseum.org/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:11:36 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.