Author Topic: Gay marriage, abortion, third party candidates, RINO's, war on drugs, cops  (Read 17613 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Gay marriage, abortion, third party candidates, RINO's, war on drugs, cops
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 11:32:55 AM »
Unless it was our meddling in the Middle East.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 11:36:48 AM »
RON PAULLL!!!!!!
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 12:04:59 PM »
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 12:07:21 PM »
From Gov. Moonbeam to President Moonbase.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 01:21:01 PM »
No. I'm opposed to marriage in general. Laws are too screwed up.
No.
Sure.
Should be an endangered species, not GOP presidential candidates.
I want LSD.
Que?

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 03:11:23 PM »
I don't think it's possible to believe in evolution and a "gay gene" at the same time.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »
I don't think it's possible to believe in evolution and a "gay gene" at the same time.

Why?  Hemophilia is a genetic trait and it hasn't selected out.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »
>If a "gay gene" is discovered, and can be screened for prenatally, will teh geys seek to outlaw abortion? <

I know this was meant as a joke. But I am SO stealing it for the next time I'm debating politics with my new coworkers
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 03:58:59 PM »

Exactly.  Being gay doesn't preclude reproducing, it just means you'd rather bump uglies with members of the same sex.  People do both all the time.

Chris

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 04:04:27 PM »

Because of the vastly lowered chances of breeding.  I should think that would be obvious.  Maybe there are some geneticists on the board who could further enlighten me, but it seems to me that a trait which reduces your chances of breeding by X percent would select out relatively quickly (in historic terms) for X > 1, longtail logarithmic probability notwithstanding.  I am not sure what the X for hemophilia is, nor for homophilia, but I would be willing to bet the latter is double-digits and the former quite a bit lower.

Now, the point could be raised that societal pressure has resulted in a smaller than natural X in this case, but in the history of man, it would seem too little too late to support the "gay gene" theory.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 04:16:21 PM »
>If a "gay gene" is discovered, and can be screened for prenatally, will teh geys seek to outlaw abortion? <

I know this was meant as a joke. But I am SO stealing it for the next time I'm debating politics with my new coworkers

I put it forward in a light-hearted vein, but some people are quite serious about it. Personally, I think it could lead to the criminalization of "hate-abortions" against homosexual infants. It sounds stupid when I actually type it out, but we have seen goofier things come to pass, haven't we?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »
Are homosexual genes made of leather  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 04:27:47 PM »
I put it forward in a light-hearted vein, but some people are quite serious about it. Personally, I think it could lead to the criminalization of "hate-abortions" against homosexual infants. It sounds stupid when I actually type it out, but we have seen goofier things come to pass, haven't we?

I hate to use this term to describe abortion... but wouldn't it be interesting if they suddenly adopted the position that it was ok to kill a baby, so long as it wasn't a gay baby?

I think they would, because such is the hypocrisy of the American Left
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »
I personally know more than a few pro-life gays. Lots of folks don't fall neatly into the left/right column.  

Of course, the pro-life gays would not be welcome by many on the right, as these folks are also for allowing gay couples to marry and adopt.  

We already have thought-crime type laws in some states concerning sex-selective abortion.  

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 04:33:01 PM »
We already have thought-crime type laws in some states concerning sex-selective abortion.  

Well, that sounds fascinating. I have not heard that before.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 04:35:42 PM »
Because of the vastly lowered chances of breeding.  I should think that would be obvious.  Maybe there are some geneticists on the board who could further enlighten me, but it seems to me that a trait which reduces your chances of breeding by X percent would select out relatively quickly (in historic terms) for X > 1, longtail logarithmic probability notwithstanding.  I am not sure what the X for hemophilia is, nor for homophilia, but I would be willing to bet the latter is double-digits and the former quite a bit lower.

Now, the point could be raised that societal pressure has resulted in a smaller than natural X in this case, but in the history of man, it would seem too little too late to support the "gay gene" theory.

That supposes a very simplistic view of how it may passed along.  Many genes are passed from one generation to the next with out them manifesting a given characteristic. 

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 04:37:34 PM »
What we really need to know is everyone's position on the consumption of aborted fetuses.  Would it change if they were gay fetuses?   ???

http://consumerist.com/2012/01/legislator-calls-for-ban-on-imaginary-practice-of-using-aborted-fetuses-in-food-products.html

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2012, 04:39:35 PM »
Well, that sounds fascinating. I have not heard that before.

Arizona, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and Illinois have laws forbidding race and/or sex-selective abortion.  AZ, for instance, requires the Dr. to sign an affidavit for every abortion performed stating that they do not believe it is a race or sex selective one.  

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2012, 04:43:07 PM »
Arizona, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and Illinois have laws forbidding race and/or sex-selective abortion.  AZ for instance requires the Dr. to sign an affidavit for every abortion performed stating that they do not believe that it is a race or sex selective one.  

I don't understand what the fakk people are thinking nowadays....

So, you can kill a kid because you're an irresponsible dirtbag who can't take care of your responsibilities...

But How Dare You (tm) if it is because you're having a boy instead of a girl, or vice versa.

WHat's the affadavit say?

"I, Dr so-and-so, do swear under penalty of perjury that Mr and Mrs dingbat didn't get an abortion because they wanted a boy, but rather because they simply don't want the inconvenience of taking care of their responsibilities."

Dear God, if you plan on ending the world, please do it soon. We are tumbling through the abyss.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »

You also need to consider if possession of a certain allele, deleterious to oneself, somehow makes your relatives more likely to reproduce.  Bad for you, good for your genes.

Also, consider sickle cell.  IIRC (been a long while), homozygous means you die of it.  Heterzygous means you might be a bit weaker, but more likely to survive malaria.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2012, 05:38:47 PM »
If there is a gay gene, why hasn't the Human Genome Project found it?....

....And, when they do, will it figure predominantly inan upcoming CSI-Wherever episode?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2012, 05:42:55 PM »
Arizona, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and Illinois have laws forbidding race and/or sex-selective abortion.  AZ, for instance, requires the Dr. to sign an affidavit for every abortion performed stating that they do not believe it is a race or sex selective one.  

Based on some local newspaper articles some years ago, I believe British Columbia in Canada may have a similar law or at least they were considering it at one time.  I believe it was in response to certain immigrant populations doing abortions only for sex selection.  Some of those populations put a lot of emphasis on having male babies.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2012, 05:55:08 PM »
People are starting to talk seriously about topics, which means the thread will probably be locked down soon.

Actually, I'm surprised another moderator hasn't locked it because it's really not politics. Laughing at politics, yes, but not politics.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2012, 01:46:21 AM »

I don't understand what the fakk people are thinking nowadays....

So, you can kill a kid because you're an irresponsible dirtbag who can't take care of your responsibilities...

But How Dare You (tm) if it is because you're having a boy instead of a girl, or vice versa.

WHat's the affadavit say?

"I, Dr so-and-so, do swear under penalty of perjury that Mr and Mrs dingbat didn't get an abortion because they wanted a boy, but rather because they simply don't want the inconvenience of taking care of their responsibilities."

Dear God, if you plan on ending the world, please do it soon. We are tumbling through the abyss.

This could get interesting.  [popcorn]