Author Topic: Working on roofs  (Read 7974 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Working on roofs
« on: March 17, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »
Particularly steep roofs.  Mine is either 10 in 12 or 12 in 12.

So APS, how is this done safely?  I have a number of projects that require I go up on the roof.  Techniques?  Gear?

Presumably roof jacks - but that doesn't help when I can't actually get on the roof to install said jacks.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Working on roofs
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 05:31:17 PM »
Helicopter
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:36:09 PM »
hows your spanish?

12 12 is walkable but thats my limit

10 12 is actually pretty good  don't have to bend over so far to work it

3 12 is a back ache
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 06:07:52 PM »
hows your spanish?

This.

I don't do roofs.  Or any heights for that matter.
Formerly sumpnz

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 06:11:51 PM »
Tying off is the only way I'll work on a steep roof.

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=14857

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 06:32:06 PM »
Tying off is the only way I'll work on a steep roof.

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=14857

yup and you can still get scuffed up pretty good even tied off. 
and hypothetically you can end up hanging off edge stuck   waiting for your damn helper to get back from lunch  [ar15]
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 06:39:27 PM »

yup and you can still get scuffed up pretty good even tied off. 
and hypothetically you can end up hanging off edge stuck   waiting for your damn helper to get back from lunch  [ar15]

For some reason, that sounds like the voice of experience........    :laugh:
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 06:58:39 PM »
you bugger the gutter pretty bad hanging over it on the rope too. had a knife was about 16-18 feet up  too far for a drop if i could avoid one.  especially with an open knife. it was humbling  my helper really enjoyed it

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 07:01:37 PM »
Video?  Or was that back in the days of yore?

A person can walk up a very steep roof with good shoes. Feels worse than it is.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 07:02:59 PM »
I take pride in doing everything myself. Roof work is the one thing I'd hire somebody for.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 07:03:25 PM »
two of these
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=ladder+hooks&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10861686101730770312&sa=X&ei=CBhlT9iRCePs0gGRs6iDCA&ved=0CJIBEPMCMAE

you use em on the end of a ladder section to grab ridge  protects roof and roofer from damage. i'd ship you mine but shipping both ways you could buy em.
i only use em once in a while but they make me very happy when i do
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:40:14 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 07:04:17 PM »
Video?  Or was that back in the days of yore?

A person can walk up a very steep roof with good shoes. Feels worse than it is.

he was kind no video  he shoulda got some of the time i got arrested

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 07:22:04 PM »
Don't fall off.

I get paranoid when dad gets up on our roof, and it's mostly flat.  [tinfoil]

I have visions of the ladder going backwards and ambulances and the ER.

Pay someone else, or if you must do it yourself, have a spotter or someone within audible "HELP!"  range.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 10:09:20 PM »
Telephone
Checkbook
Pen

Problem solved.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 10:22:26 PM »
Parts of my roof were 12/12 and of course metal. Hot in the sun, dusty=slick, and about 25 feet to packed gravel in front of the basement garage if you did it wrong. I tried not to go up there.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 07:13:49 AM »
Never ever step backwards.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 07:55:25 AM »
A 12 12 pitch roof if a 45 degree angle, which would be a damned tough walk for anyone who's not familiar with working on a roof.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 08:10:16 AM »
hows your spanish?

12 12 is walkable but thats my limit

10 12 is actually pretty good  don't have to bend over so far to work it

3 12 is a back ache
12:12 is walkable?

My roof is 6-1/2:12 and I can just barely get up and down it without sliding off, and that's only if I wear shoes with very sticky soles. Anything steeper needs jacks. How can you walk 12:12?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 09:16:22 AM »
I had a Salvadorian walk off my roof, lucky for him, he landed on my deck and only fell 14 feet.

There I am hanging in my living room watching the toddler and boom, there's a "siding guy" laying on my deck. The chinese foreman was gone and I have 6 guys that looked like they got picked up at home depot working on my job. We got him first aid, but I doubt he went to a hospital.

I had to yell, Ayuda! to get the attention of his co workers, they did not respond to English.

Up here in PA, the Yoders respond to German, but their extra fingers & toes keep them on the roof better.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 10:15:05 AM »
Telephone
Checkbook
Pen

Problem solved.

This, or make damned sure you have supplemental insurance to cover keeping the family functioning while you swing in a full-body cast.

For giggles, check to see if your wife can collect against your homeowner's policy for lack of consortium.

Personally, I'd use a safety harness when climbing the 1-step thingy to reach the top cabinet shelf except that would involve getting high up enough to hook into the ceiling.  Congenital lack of balance makes changing lightbulbs "exciting".

sstay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 10:33:12 AM »
3 12 is a back ache

And knees :(

That's why I try not to do roof work anymore, or at least get someone with an air nailer to help me so it goes faster.

Metal roofs are the way to go: much faster to install and usually done for your lifetime.

But getting back up there for something else is tricky if the pitch is over about 5/12
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 12:09:15 PM »
I just don't do it anymore.

As painful as it is, I hire it done.
7-11 was a part time job.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »
Roofing, like Sheetrock and tile, are some of the few things I'll contract out (after having done them)...

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 02:27:54 PM »
Well if I deal with metal roof again I has a plan. I bought a bunch of milled aluminum block clamps that locked over the standing seam and then had tapped holes to screw stuff to, in this case snow guards. A couple of strategically installed permanent ladders would make it easy to get to a chimney and if you're already at the ridge easier to install/move jacks or other anchors.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 05:03:09 PM »
Never ever step backwards.

Don't I know it.  (that was 20 years ago; it would probably kill me now)
"It's good, though..."