Author Topic: Watches  (Read 8818 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Watches
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 01:57:51 PM »
That's odd because mechanical watches tend to run faster as they wind down.  I've adjusted it a few times, but can't seem to get it "just right".  Mind tends to run fast and pick up a couple minutes a month.  Because I'd rather be early than late, I live with it. 

They're easy to adjust if you want to give that a try.  Get the tool for removing the back, then give the tiny lever a nudge in the appropriate direction.

Chris

It seems to be ok as long as I wear it, it's just when I take it off for a day or two that it's an issue.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 02:04:01 PM »
Today it's a Chinese knock off of a Panerai. It doesn't say Panerai anywhere on it, it's more of an homage.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 02:24:09 PM »
I had a baby G-shock and it was a total marketing gimmick. I killed it in like 3 months.

My main watch is a Casio F-91W, because they are cheap, haven't changed ever, and ooze post-80s japanese charm ("water resist"). Also, I heard that terrorists use them a lot so immediately felt it was my duty as an American to buy one and wear it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
I have a Seiko Black Monster my wife bought, but I find that if I take it off to sleep at night it gets slow in the morning, and if I put it on the watch winder dealie for more than a day or so it does the same. :/ I really like the idea of a watch that's powered through movement, but it's just proven to be a hassle. My winder is broken and I'm reluctant to spring for another.
That is unusual based on my experience.  My Kinetic sat unused for a couple months and it was still keeping time without issue when I picked up to start wearing it again.  I would suggest changing out the battery, but it sounds like you may not want to mess with it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 02:38:11 PM »
There's no battery in a Black Monster. 

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »
That's something I just cannot get in the habit of. I need to have a timepiece on my wrist vs. something in my pocket plus my shitty cell phone is always switching to a completely wrong time zone so it's worthless as a timepiece.

Actually, my cellphone IS why I want a watch again. The hassle of getting it out, and thumbing it on, then tracing my security shape on the screen is a PITA for a 1 second thing, checking the time.

My cell phone is an older Samsung something-or-another flip phone that has a convenient LED readout on the front so I can read the time without opening it or messing with it in any way. All I have to do is take it out of my pocket and glance at it. I've also never had trouble with it displaying the incorrect time, even when crossing over timezones.

Wearing a watch on my wrist is something I have to get used to; for the first couple of days it's somewhat annoying, so when I'm out of the habit I don't start again until there's a good reason.

Citizen Eco-Drive titanium with Roman dial.

I have one of those, only it's gold and solver, and it has Arabic numerals; it was a gift from my uncle. I never really wore it at all because the metal bracelet pulls at the hair on my wrists. I also think gold-colored watches are kind of gaudy.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 03:17:10 PM »
The bracelet on mine is two-tone, brushed silver sides and polished interior. Face is dark gray behind polished numerals. The bracelet doesn't bother me and is very light. Go figure. Keeps pretty good time, and none of the issues with a kinetic.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 03:26:07 PM »
Same here. DROID X, Verizon.

Yeah, actually you're right, all I have to do is power it's screen on to see the time. Although I have to unlock the desktop to see the date widget.

Mine's a rooted Evo 4g running Cyanogenmod7.

Although I stand by the issue that digging in my pocket or my holster is more trouble than checking the time should be.
I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 03:32:50 PM »
Timex Expedition that I bought 6 or 7 years ago.  "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking" I can't read the calendar on it anymore; it still works but my eyes can't focus that close.  The backlight works fine, that's my favorite thing about this watch.
"It's good, though..."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 03:47:27 PM »
thread drift...

Back in the day we used to use the timex "glo" backlights as signaling devices on night exercises.  They worked great to do things like signal it was safe to cross a road or clearing.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 05:00:12 PM »
Citizen. Probably about 10 years old at this point and it keeps ticking.  Only requires the odd battery change.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

erictank

• friends
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »
Same here. DROID X, Verizon.

As does my Droid Bionic, also Verizon.

Most cell phones I've seen lately show the time unless it's all the way off. Come out of standby, and no need to enter security shape/code unless you actually need to make a call. And even there, my phone will allow an emergency call to be made without log-in.

I don't wear a watch, but am contemplating one for dress occasions. No idea what, yet.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 06:05:29 PM »
This Pulsar:

I've had it for several years now.  I just like it.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »
I just use my cellphone, but it is annoying to dig it out of my pocket. I would like a watch, but I have relatively small wrists, so most men's watches are uncomfortable.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 07:18:08 PM »
Mine is an old Timex with a blue face and a plain, stainless bezel. I like it.

Although I stand by the issue that digging in my pocket or my holster is more trouble than checking the time should be.

Oh, sure. For me, it's a toss-up between digging a phone out of my pocket, versus having to take off my watch every so often to wipe off the sweat build-up. So I only wear a watch when I'm not doing anything too active.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 07:42:24 PM »
Casio G-Shock, a newer one.  Has the inverse digital display; clear digits in black background.
On weekends sometimes a cheap Casio analog watch.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 08:59:35 PM »
This:

Analog, easy to see with aging eyes, and affordable enough that I don't have to worry about it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Seiko Kinetic.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2012, 09:03:26 PM »
thread drift...

Back in the day we used to use the timex "glo" backlights as signaling devices on night exercises.  They worked great to do things like signal it was safe to cross a road or clearing.

Remember those days. They did the signaling job quite well
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2012, 10:45:19 PM »
Wenger Swiss Military.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2012, 12:20:27 AM »
Either a customized Seiko Orange Monster (bought it new 8 years ago) or a Casio G-Shock for yardwork, hunting, etc.

Chris

What mods did you get done on your seiko?  I have an SKX007 but I rarely wear it on account of its short power reserve.  It usually lasts less than a day without motion;  the zenith easily goes for two, the omega in between.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2012, 07:11:50 AM »
The watch was well worn and quite beat, so I had the following done:
Crystal replaced withe sapphire crystal
Case and bracelet bead blasted
Bezel numbers repainted in orange (black lettering was almost gone)
12/24 lume dot was gone, so I had it replaced with blue
Replaced internal chapter ring with non-marked steel ring (less happy with this change).

Total bill was about $150ish IIRC.  This was done about a year and a half ago.

Chris

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2012, 08:12:37 AM »
I usually wear an Orient Sparta automatic but I also have a Citizen Eco-Drive chrono that gets worn occasionally.  I'm currently looking for a nice dress watch.  My other two don't work so well with buttoned cuffs.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
A Rolex Submariner 16610.  The Mrs. gave it to me for our 25th anniversary twelve years ago.  It's been serviced every five years by Rolex.  It is an excellent timekeeper, I sporadically log its deviation against WWV.  It loses about three seconds a day and I hack it about every two months, unless it stops.  I find that I have to clean it monthly or it gets irritating to wear.  I dunk it in a coffee cup of warm water with some orange cleaner and I blow it off with pressurized air.  The gunk that comes out of the band is...special.  I get the left cuff of my bespoke shirts made a bit larger to accomodate it.  I just move the buttons on my other shirts.

Russ

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »
I'll fire up this old thread