Author Topic: The difference between gun-related companies and the rest of the business world  (Read 4590 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
As anyone who's dealt with just about any gun-related company knows, customer service is almost always above and beyond the call. I've had RCBS send me I don't know how many primer feed arms after I've broken mine, and always without charge. Kimber has given me parts and service for free, long after warranties have expired. The list goes on.

It's not the same in other industries. About three weeks ago I noticed that a screw on my Microtech Makora front-opening switchblade had fallen out and disappeared. The screws on Microtech's are a proprietary design, so you can only get them from Microtech. I called to ask if I could buy a replacement screw, but was told that they don't sell parts. I'd have to send it in. Bear in mind that this is a $450 knife.

I thought this was unacceptable, and said so, but it was like talking to a wall. Then it got worse. They can't just have me sending a switchblade to them. It can only come from active duty law enforcement, military or from an FFL. I don't know any cops or military around here, so an FFL would be the only way to go. So, there would be a $20 transfer fee. Then there would be about $15-$20 in shipping and insurance. Then there's the $15 that Microtech charges just for handling whatever you send them. So, the cost for one little screw would be $50 to $55. I could also take it to an authorized Microtech dealer, but the nearest one is an hour an half away in Birmingham. They're not allowed to get parts either, though, so they'd have to send it in, so I'd still have to pay for shipping and insurance, and spend six hours total driving back and forth, not to mention the cost of gas.

I told the customer service woman that this was outrageous. She said she'd try to do something. Two weeks later she called to say that she was sending me a screw. I thanked her profusely.

The screw arrived today. It's .125" long. The screw I need is .250" long, so the one she sent isn't even long enough to engage the threads in the knife body. It just falls right out of the hole. I know why they sent such a short screw. They use different size screws, and if they sent one that was too long, it could interfere with the knife, and damage or scratch something inside, and then they'd be liable (or so they think). They sent me the shortest screw they had.

So, I called again to see if they'd send another screw. I gave all of the dimensions: five threads, .250" OAL, .100" shank, etc. The customer service woman said she doubted they'd allow her to send another screw. So, I can look at the empty hole every time I handle the knife, or I can pay $55 for a tiny little screw.

I don't know of a single gun-related company that would treat a customer like this.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Thanks for the warning, and have you considered Loc-tite?

I've also heard that 3-D printing can be a good way to replace parts.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
I've had good customer-service luck with gun-related companies too . . . with one notable exception.

Colt.

Had a Mk IV Series 70 Jammamatic. Went back to Colt's repeatedly for warranty repair. Over a month each time. Colt did NOTHING and returned the jammamatic in the same condition each time. It was like a game - "Get customer's gun. Keep it a while without fixing it. Return it. Laugh when it comes back with the same problem and repeat until customer gives up in disgust."  

That's why I vowed I'd never buy another Colt product - and I haven't.

(BTW, maybe, just maybe, you can get a replacement screw for that knife from a specialty shop like Austin Bolt  . . . I've gone to them a couple of times and they had some oddball sizes in stock.    http://www.yelp.com/biz/austin-bolt-company-austin  )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
How on earth is a screw proprietary? What makes it so? Would it be possible to embrace your new homeland and make some...minor modifications out in the garage to use a new screw?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

wmenorr67

• friend
I had a screw come out of my issued Gerber multi-tool and they sent me several replacements for it, in both finishes just in case.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• friend
How on earth is a screw proprietary? What makes it so? Would it be possible to embrace your new homeland and make some...minor modifications out in the garage to use a new screw?

Google image search "microtech screw." Looks like a tamper-proof head design, so maybe just a cosmetic issue, but standard thread and pitch. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
The screw is has a cone-shaped domed head on it. There are three holes into which a special tool is inserted if you want to loosen or tighten it. Microtech probably has another company make the screws for them, but nobody else. They probably also have some sort of patent so that nobody else can make them.

Fistful, these already had Loctite on them. That blade comes out with a lot of force, and after time it must have rattled the screw loose.

Here's what they look like:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
You're screwed  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
If it's standard thread and pitch by a replacement with a different style head, or replace all of them to keep uniform. You can also have screws specially made to your order for not a ton of money. Make a bunch and ebay them?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Yeah I'd just buy (what is that, 7?) matching screws that would look good on there. If not standard threads possible you could tap them.

Course, this misses the point that it's absolutely asinine that they wont send a freaking screw.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

mtnbkr

• friend
Your mistake was buying from Microtech. 

Chris Reeve didn't hesitate to send me a screw when I needed one.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
Your mistake was buying from Microtech.  

Chris Reeve didn't hesitate to send me a screw when I needed one.

Chris

I notice you said "send" and not "give."  :lol:

mtnbkr

• friend
Actually, they sent it for free. 

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
Not my meaning.  =)  That was almost sig line material.

mtnbkr

• friend
oh, I get it now.

Chris

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
The anodized screws are part of the look of the Makora, along with the carbon fiber inserts.

I'll keep hounding them until they give in. I may just check into taking them to small claims court here in my county. I don't think they can appear by phone in this county, so they'd have to send a lawyer or hire one. Companies shouldn't be able to ride roughshod over customers this way.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
The anodized screws are part of the look of the Makora, along with the carbon fiber inserts.

I'll keep hounding them until they give in. I may just check into taking them to small claims court here in my county. I don't think they can appear by phone in this county, so they'd have to send a lawyer or hire one. Companies shouldn't be able to ride roughshod over customers this way.

Do you happen to own any HK products?
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa

They should give you a free pair of moccassins for all your trouble  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Do you happen to own any HK products?

No. I had a chance to buy an HK91 back in 1987 or so for $800, but I passed and got an AR for a bit less. Any time I've looked at HK91's or MP5's, I've just thought to myself that they were a lot of money for stamped metal.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Last time I had a screw problem on a knife, I TIG'd it.  Of course, not a viable option for such an expensive piece; and for the money one would expect the company to fully back the product.

I say take 'em to court.  Filing in small claims court is delightfully simple.

Also, I don't know if you've ever tried to collect on shipping insurance, but it's a sham.  It's provided by a third party, and the only way you will get paid is via a lawsuit that they will drag out at least 8 months.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Also, I don't know if you've ever tried to collect on shipping insurance, but it's a sham.  It's provided by a third party, and the only way you will get paid is via a lawsuit that they will drag out at least 8 months.

I collected from UPS when they damaged this computer in shipment. It was just cosmetic, but the value of the damaged part was ~$500.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
I use a cateye bike computer on my bikes, especially my road bike.

Few years ago I bought a wireless model.  The sending unit crapped out.  A little investigation turned up that that model had a bad run of sending units.  Sent an email to cateye, and was immediately offered a replacement sending unit.  I've had that computer on my bike for like 5 years now.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
They have bike computers now? What, is that for your facebook addiction?

Nick1911

• Administrator
They have bike computers now? What, is that for your facebook addiction?

Speed, distance, travel time, actual time, average speed, max speed... etc.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
I was actually looking into buying custom made aluminium screws the other day. Honestly not that expensive, and you can get them anodized any way you want. And then sell the extras to all the other folks micro techhas screwed (or not screwed in this case).
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.