Author Topic: Wounded Warrior goes full retard  (Read 9653 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Wounded Warrior goes full retard
« on: November 13, 2012, 08:34:53 PM »

Never go full retard...

https://www.facebook.com/notes/gun-talk/wounded-warrior-project-email-exchange/10151354082553313

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/additional-opportunities.aspx

Wounded Warrior Project Email Exchange
by Gun Talk on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 11:56am ·

After Sunday's show, we've gotten many emails about Tom's remarks after WWP declined an interview request on Gun Talk Radio because it's a firearms-related show. We've also seen the forums that are suggesting many things that are not true. So, I'm going to lay it all out right here.

We thought it would be great to book the WWP on the Veteran's Day show to promote the organization, so I contacted them. I was flabbergasted when their PR contact, Leslie, sent me an email saying they could not participate because our show dealt with firearms. Knowing that WWP has had a booth at trade shows and various gun shows across the US, takes wounded warriors on hunts and range days, raffles guns and accessories as fundraisers, etc., their policy didn't make much sense. I forwarded the email on to Tom to get his take.

-Sarah

The following is the complete email exchange:

====================

Hello, Leslie:

Sarah forwarded me your email after I asked her to invite the Wounded Warriors Project to join me on "Tom Gresham's Gun Talk" radio show.

I'm stunned at your email saying that the WWP doesn't participate in an interview or activity related to firearms.  Inasmuch as there are 90 million gun owners and most of them support wounded veterans, I think they would be shocked to hear that they are, by way of their hobbies, somehow not worthy of helping with the Wounded Warriors Project.

Does your policy apply also to police agencies and the military, since they are "related to firearms?"

I'm hoping that we have misunderstood your email.  Can you confirm that it is, in fact, an official policy of the Wounded Warriors Project to not do interviews with or participate in any activity related to firearms?

Thank you.

Tom Gresham

============

Good afternoon --

While we appreciate your interest in Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) you are correct that we decline the media opportunity.

Please note the following notice that appears on our website which also applies to WWP public awareness policy and inquiries from media outlets:

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/additional-opportunities.aspx

WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.

Thank you for your inquiry.

LESLIE A. COLEMAN

public relations director

O: 904.405.1433

M: 904.654.8138

F: 904.296.7347

Wounded Warrior Project

4899 Belfort Road, Suite 300

Jacksonville, Florida 32256

====================

Thanks for confirming that, Leslie.  It was a simple opportunity to promote the WWP on a national program in an effort to send donations your way.

I'll pass along the info that you don't want or need the help of America's gun owners. 

Best regards,

Tom Gresham

=====================

Good morning --

This policy is not a judgment on those who own and use firearms – clearly every member of our armed forces has been trained in the use of firearms and then called on to use them in the course of their service to this country.

Our position regarding firearms and alcohol is in response to the struggles that many injured service members face with substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues.

Thank you.

LESLIE A. COLEMAN

public relations director

=============================

Hello, Leslie:

Thank you for that explanation.

I do think -- and I'm being as kind as possible -- that it's the nuttiest thing I've heard in years. Suicides are not linked to firearms. Japan has a much higher rate of suicide than does the U.S., and they have essentially no firearms. Suicide is a serious issue irrespective of the methodology used. 

This explanation doesn't pass even the most simple "does this make sense" test.

Your policy does, in fact, brand firearms and the companies which make them as undesirables, and by association, you are saying that those who own and use firearms for recreation, hunting, self protection, and other safe and legal uses are to be avoided.

It's certainly your option to ostracize the firearms industry, the 90 million gun owners in America, and the media which support firearms safety training. 

At this point, I feel an obligation to make sure the millions who listen to my radio show and watch my two national television series know about your policy.

I cannot fully express how much I feel you are doing a disservice to our wounded veterans, and how disappointed I am to discover this bias at the Wounded Warriors Project.

Sincerely,

Tom Gresham
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Wounded Warrior goes full retard
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:46:34 PM »
I predict this will not end well for Leslie's career.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:48:27 PM »
I predict this will not end well for Leslie's career.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/mission/executive-staff/ayla-hay.aspx

Her boss is apparently not former military, just a professional PR flack. You want to cringe looking at her bio and wondering what the board or CEO was thinking.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 09:00:07 PM »
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/mission/executive-staff/ayla-hay.aspx

Her boss is apparently not former military, just a professional PR flack. You want to cringe looking at her bio and wondering what the board or CEO was thinking.

That makes me wonder how legit WWP is. If it's all PR people, are they kinda like the Red Cross vs Salvation Army, where they're more about the donations than the people they're supposed to serve?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:04:01 PM »
The WWP has been trending away from it's original purpose for a while now. Not good.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »
always good to look a lil further. this has been discussed other places [popcorn]

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=684293&highlight=warrior
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 09:10:37 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 09:58:56 PM »
When I first saw all their branded swag at the PX, I thought they were these guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wildlife_Fund
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 10:25:12 PM »
always good to look a lil further. this has been discussed other places [popcorn]

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=684293&highlight=warrior

I don't see anything at the link that changes the discussion, except for maybe the part where someone posted their stated policies that basically confirm what Gresham said.

WWP fundraisers can not be sexual, political or religious in nature, and cannot be partnered with alcohol brands or the exchange of firearms. This messaging conflicts with our mind, body, and spirit approach to programs. As everyone is aware, alcohol and substance abuse have been a significant problem with segments of the Wounded Warrior population, often with deadly consequences. WWP would not be honoring and empowering Wounded Warriors if the warrior population perceived partnerships with these types of events as encouraging the use of products that contribute to that problem.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »
AAC raffled off a bunch of guns and suppressors for WWP back in '09.
http://www.aacblog.com/2009/08/page/5/

Interesting.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 01:05:03 AM »

Well, at least they're not bitterly clinging to their religion and guns.

Can see avoiding sex and alcohol.  I can even see avoiding any particular religion, although the ice is a bit thinner there, what with the First Amendment association and all.

Avoiding "association" with gun companies and gun media, however . . . that's just absurd on its face.

You don't want to be seen as associating with gun companies/media?  Don't take their money then.  Taking money from someone pretty much "associates" you with them.

Sorry, you don't get to take my money under the moon's glow and disavow me in the light of day.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 02:14:00 AM »
1. Sounds like they hired some high dollar PR flacks who've never been outside NYC and don't get us bitter clingers.

2. I was really prepared to write this off as internet hullaballoo and nonsense slandering a good .org, but assuming Tom Gresham is not flat out making up fake emails then this is a genuine Zumbo moment for WWP. Not getting any of my money or support anymore.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 03:29:45 AM »
1. Sounds like they hired some high dollar PR flacks who've never been outside NYC and don't get us bitter clingers.

2. I was really prepared to write this off as internet hullaballoo and nonsense slandering a good .org, but assuming Tom Gresham is not flat out making up fake emails then this is a genuine Zumbo moment for WWP. Not getting any of my money or support anymore.

No hullabaloo there. I first heard about Wounded Warrior's semi anti-gun stance from Larry Vickers. He has stopped supporting them for that reason.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 06:51:23 AM »
I've also heard that only about 20% of the monney WWP takes in actually makes it to the wounded soldiers. but I can't find confirmation.  Anyone heard something similar??
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

robear

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 07:16:56 AM »
I've also heard that only about 20% of the monney WWP takes in actually makes it to the wounded soldiers. but I can't find confirmation.  Anyone heard something similar??

Some interesting data here:
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=12842

Looks like it's closer to 55%.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 01:10:41 PM »
According to my Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) charity list, they have an Administrative and Fundraising Rate of 29.5%. I was thinking about donating to them, but now this gives me pause. =(
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 01:23:13 PM »
I was seriously thinking about signing up to support WWP, However, in light of the anti gun stance and the percentage of donations, I think I'll find some other way to support our wounded Vets.

Maybe the Gary Sinise Foundation or something similar.

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 01:43:06 PM »

Without wishing to make it the central issue, I would also like to point out that as an organization becomes more densely populated with doctors from the psych "sciences" fields, it tends to develop a center of gravity in opposition to firearms and liberty (as self-sufficiency) in general.

The more they focus on "PTSD" as the broad tar brush for returning vets (and, of course, anyone who's been injured), the more they're going to be, organizationally, firearms averse.

PTSD is the new crazy, and crazy disqualifies you from firearms ownership, so expect those fields with a vested interest in enforcing "social norms" to apply the label liberally.

I am entirely disinclined to support any organization that has a heavy population of psych doctors of any flavor, basically because it can be used, and is being used, to outflank the Constitutional guarantees.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 02:23:51 PM »
I had donated to them in the past, and then there were a couple instances that caused me to raise my eyebrows and go look them up on Charity Navigator.  When I saw the salaries, and administrative costs were over and above what actually went to the those that need, i knew they had "jumped the shark"..

I've since dropped WWP and now send my money to Fisher House.  Think Ronald McDonald house for families of wounded warriors.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 05:39:20 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »
Were I WWP, I would take the opportunity provided by going to slide lock to stop shooting myself in the foot.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »
I've since dropped WWP and now send my money to Fisher House.  Think Ronald McDonald house for families of wounded warriors.

That looks like a worthy charity. I stayed in a place similar to that (for relatives of critical care patients far from home) and give to them regularly.
It's nice to have a home away from home when your loved ones are in the hopital.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 05:40:46 PM »
http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/202/202370934/202370934_201109_990.pdf

ADAM SILVA
159,498 + 22,910
CHIEF DEVELOPMENT OFFICER

ALBION GIORDANO
284,692 + 24,346
DEPUTY EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

JEREMY CHWAT
171,657 + 22,108
CHIEF PROGRAM OFFICER

RONALD W BURGESS
126,015 + 16,131
CFO

STEVEN NARDIZZI
319,692 + 21,118
CEO, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

BRUCE NITSCHE
135,678 + 10,313
EVP, SPECIAL PROJECTS

JOHN ROBERTS
140,350 + 22,136
EVP, MENTAL HEALTH

RALPH J IBSON
151,125 + 16,319
SENIOR FELLOW

CHRISTINE HILL
146,250 + 16,900
EVP, CONGRESSIONAL AFFAIRS

VICTORIA NEMERSON
157,303 + 12,150
EVP, GENERAL COUNSEL

Helping wounded soldiers does pay well for some folks, I'll say that much. And that's just the book compensation. There's free vacations, perks, etc tossed in as well.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »
We've had a lot of questions recently that started when we declined an opportunity to appear on Gun Talk Radio. We want to clarify and help answer some questions. We have seen through this process that the language on our website and our response to the invitation to appear on the show weren’t clear, and we are working on clarifying our approach. There is now much inaccurate information about WWP being anti-gun rights, an issue as an apolitical organization we do not take a stance on. We understand and appreciate that many of our Alumni are gun owners, and we facilitate multiple hunting and outdoor opportunities for our Wounded Warriors throughout the year.

In the past, we made our logo available to appear on wide variety of products, including guns. As an organization, we owe it to our donors and constituents to maximize the return on investment of our dollars and brand. We are always looking at our business practices and whether we should continue with them in the future. In the case of cobranding, we've decided that we're not going to offer our logo to appear on weapons anymore - whether they're guns, knives, bows, swords, or any other type of weapon. There are still a few of the guns around for sale that had licensed our logo years ago, but there aren't any new ones being made. This is purely a business decision based on a review of a return on investment, especially when compared with other types of cobranding ventures.

Regarding the question of donations and events, we do permit fundraisers that are shooting- and gun-related, such as gun raffles, shooting competitions, etc., and we're incredibly appreciative of those who are willing to give their time to host or participate in an event. Likewise, we gratefully accept donations from companies and individuals connected with the gun industry.

As indicated above, we know that hunting and shooting sporting events can be very therapeutic for many of the Wounded Warriors we serve, and we're happy to work with the community to make these types of events available to our Alumni. Hunting and shooting sport enthusiasts are an incredibly supportive and generous community, and we've been honored by how often folks have opened their land and homes, and volunteered their time to make these types of events possible for our Alumni. We're so sorry if it seemed that we didn't appreciate that support with our confusing communication of a business decision. It certainly wasn't our intention!

I hope this post provides some clarity and helps answer some questions. We welcome the opportunity to have a warrior on Gun Talk Radio to discuss how hunting or events of the like have supported their recovery. We responded too quickly to his request and should have delved a bit deeper.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 05:46:14 PM »
Yep, Fisher house, where 98 cents of every dollar goes to the people it's intended to help, it doesn't get much better then that.   WWP has turned from helping Wounded Warriors to becoming a way for the founder (and his inner circle) to enrich themselves.  =|
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 05:39:52 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 05:47:30 PM »
What does licensing a logo have to do with a talk radio show?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 05:48:41 PM »
http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/202/202370934/202370934_201109_990.pdf

ADAM SILVA
159,498 + 22,910
CHIEF DEVELOPMENT OFFICER

ALBION GIORDANO
284,692 + 24,346
DEPUTY EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

JEREMY CHWAT
171,657 + 22,108
CHIEF PROGRAM OFFICER

RONALD W BURGESS
126,015 + 16,131
CFO

STEVEN NARDIZZI
319,692 + 21,118
CEO, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

BRUCE NITSCHE
135,678 + 10,313
EVP, SPECIAL PROJECTS

JOHN ROBERTS
140,350 + 22,136
EVP, MENTAL HEALTH

RALPH J IBSON
151,125 + 16,319
SENIOR FELLOW

CHRISTINE HILL
146,250 + 16,900
EVP, CONGRESSIONAL AFFAIRS

VICTORIA NEMERSON
157,303 + 12,150
EVP, GENERAL COUNSEL

Helping wounded soldiers does pay well for some folks, I'll say that much. And that's just the book compensation. There's free vacations, perks, etc tossed in as well.
That sort of cheese goes pretty far in Jacksonville, Florida.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton