Author Topic: Interesting what you can do with a bolt action  (Read 4307 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Interesting what you can do with a bolt action
« on: January 28, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFYZHLuxXZ8&feature=player_embedded

10 rounds of 7.62 NATO, pretty darn fast.

Makes me contemplate the "Enfield K" conversion (No 4, in 7.62x39, using AK mags).
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
Re: Interesting what you can do with a bolt action
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:58:41 PM »

You'll forgive me if I prefer a lever-action solution.

Even unto a Savage 99, Winchester 95, or BLR.

Anyone still making a box-mag-fed lever gun?
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 03:00:10 PM »
And you can be 10x more accurate at the same rate of fire, with a semiauto shooting the same size cartridge.

See that muzzle swing around like crazy while running the bolt?  That's not even minutes of angle, that's degrees.  Those shots are tens of feet apart at 100 yards.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 04:03:33 PM »
While I agree about speed and accuracy compared to a semi-auto, in all fairness the shooter refers to his efforts as the "Mad Minute," the initial reaction to contact that overwhelms the enemy and allows your flanking element to get into position.  Accuracy is secondary.

Though I must also admit that since the Mad Minute is only accomplished as a squad, any individual propensity for speed is probably irrelevant anyway.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 04:09:51 PM »
Google "The Battle of Mons".   ;)

the Germans made nearly unmissable targets for the well-trained British riflemen (who were evidently making hits at over 1,000 yards (910 m))

Indeed, so heavy was the British rifle fire throughout the battle that the Germans thought they were facing batteries of machine guns.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 04:13:59 PM »
Makes me contemplate the "Enfield K" conversion (No 4, in 7.62x39, using AK mags).

I've been thinking of that conversion for years.  The guy is working the bolt with thumb and forefinger and squeezing the trigger with his middle finger.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 04:25:40 PM »
the "Mad Minute," the initial reaction to contact that overwhelms the enemy and allows your flanking element to get into position

I heard the term before, but never knew that it was a "thing" other than something to have fun with at the range.  Learn something new every day.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 05:44:21 PM »
You'll forgive me if I prefer a lever-action solution.

QFT
One day at a time.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 05:48:36 PM »
Hard to run a lever action from prone.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 06:26:18 PM »

This.  Plus blunt/flat bullet meplats to prevent chain-fire, and inferior ballistics.
I promise not to duck.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 07:10:08 PM »

This.  Plus blunt/flat bullet meplats to prevent chain-fire, and inferior ballistics.

Hence the mention of box-mag-fed lever guns.

Like the Savage 99 or the Win 95.  And the BLR.

And, yes, I get that levers and prone are not best friends, but from most other positions they hold a respectable rate of fire.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 08:00:07 PM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 08:27:33 PM »
Damn
One day at a time.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 09:08:35 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFYZHLuxXZ8&feature=player_embedded

10 rounds of 7.62 NATO, pretty darn fast.

That guy is shooting blanks.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 09:14:30 PM »
And you can be 10x more accurate at the same rate of fire, with a semiauto shooting the same size cartridge.

See that muzzle swing around like crazy while running the bolt?  That's not even minutes of angle, that's degrees.  Those shots are tens of feet apart at 100 yards.

Nope.  The British qualifications for the Mad Minute also included accuracy requirements.  The minimum passing score was 15 hits on a 12" target at 300 yards in one minute.

Many broke 30 hits in that one minute, with the record being 38 hits.  

Some of my fellow Oulde Pharts and myself used to have SMLE day at the range, and had a 300 yard, 12" metal target mounted on an automotive axle shaft stub inside a coil spring.

It was an absolute riot with a squad of guys shooting Lee-Enfields making that gong ring!

When the weather warms up around here, I want to try something similar with my No5Mk1 Jungle Carbine.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 04:27:00 AM »
K-31 happiness for me. Wear a hat, the faster you pull, the further the cases go. Straight up. OW!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 08:59:41 AM »
That guy is shooting blanks.
My thought as well.

Zero recoil and brass to big to be .22 (and even then, there'd be some recoil).
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 09:40:48 AM »
You'll forgive me if I prefer a box magazine fed semi-automatic solution.  Well aimed rapid fire.  If things were so interesting that I had a few people in support and needed to provide a base of cover fire, it can be done with just two riflemen firing in shifts.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:47:38 AM by Jamisjockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 09:48:53 AM »
You'll forgive me if I prefer a box magazine fed solution.  Well aimed rapid fire.  If things were so interesting that I had a few people in support and needed to provide a base of cover fire, it can be done with just two riflemen firing in shifts.

There is also the left-handed aspect. I'm a lefty who owns all righty bolt guns. I'm not getting any fast repeating shots out of them. For fast repeating shots, I'm going to my M1A, M1, or one of the lever guns.

I've actually been looking at getting a lefty bolt gun to replace my 788 as my primary hunting rifle - either the Ruger Hawkeye or one of the Savages. Kinda thinking right now is a good time to trade in the Glock 23 at a good price, and get a bolt gun that's likely one of the few rifles left on the gun store shelves at a good price. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 09:57:39 AM »
There is also the left-handed aspect. I'm a lefty who owns all righty bolt guns. I'm not getting any fast repeating shots out of them. For fast repeating shots, I'm going to my M1A, M1, or one of the lever guns.

I've actually been looking at getting a lefty bolt gun to replace my 788 as my primary hunting rifle - either the Ruger Hawkeye or one of the Savages. Kinda thinking right now is a good time to trade in the Glock 23 at a good price, and get a bolt gun that's likely one of the few rifles left on the gun store shelves at a good price. :)

+eleventy.

I just saw a LH Savage Model 10 in .308 on phoenix backpage, with some sort of cheap mil-dot scope on it, for $500.  Temptation calls.  But, I'd immediately drop another $1000+ on better glass for it and a better stock for it.  Don't need yet another money pit right now.  And I need to keep the last bit of my "gun reserve" money for our Pmag group buy when that goes hot.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
Nope.  The British qualifications for the Mad Minute also included accuracy requirements.  The minimum passing score was 15 hits on a 12" target at 300 yards in one minute.

Many broke 30 hits in that one minute, with the record being 38 hits.  

Some of my fellow Oulde Pharts and myself used to have SMLE day at the range, and had a 300 yard, 12" metal target mounted on an automotive axle shaft stub inside a coil spring.

It was an absolute riot with a squad of guys shooting Lee-Enfields making that gong ring!

When the weather warms up around here, I want to try something similar with my No5Mk1 Jungle Carbine.

Interesting requirement.  15 hits/min is 1 every 4 seconds on a 4MOA target.  How very... Appleseed-like. =D  Record is 38 hits standing in one minute, 12" at 300 yards?  Or prone?  Amazing, either way.
--Lysander Spooner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 11:41:43 AM »
K-31 happiness for me. Wear a hat, the faster you pull, the further the cases go. Straight up. OW!

I love my K31, too.  Problem is the danged stripper clip/loader things are made partly from reinforced paper and wear out quick.  And spare box magazines are $$$$.  If you can find them.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 11:57:25 AM »
Yeah, I picked up a spare mag for my Enfield #4 Mk 1 some years ago, $40 was the cheapest I could find one.  I sold the rifle but of course kept the spare mag in case I changed my mind one day.

For the rimmed .303 Brit, I could never figure out how to prevent rimlock when loading from stripper clips.  I used to know a grand old Sergeant Major with the British Army who fought in Cyprus in the late '50s, and I asked him about it.  He shrugged and said they never really had that issue.  I resigned myself to simply using my two carefully-loaded magazines though twenty rounds isn't much in a "pinch."
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »
Yeah, I picked up a spare mag for my Enfield #4 Mk 1 some years ago, $40 was the cheapest I could find one.  I sold the rifle but of course kept the spare mag in case I changed my mind one day.

For the rimmed .303 Brit, I could never figure out how to prevent rimlock when loading from stripper clips.  I used to know a grand old Sergeant Major with the British Army who fought in Cyprus in the late '50s, and I asked him about it.  He shrugged and said they never really had that issue.  I resigned myself to simply using my two carefully-loaded magazines though twenty rounds isn't much in a "pinch."

At least with a Mosin, it's all about keeping the clip oriented correctly.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 12:33:12 PM »
eleventy.

I just saw a LH Savage Model 10 in .308 on phoenix backpage, with some sort of cheap mil-dot scope on it, for $500.  Temptation calls.  But, I'd immediately drop another $1000+ on better glass for it and a better stock for it.

The savage model 10s usually come with a decent stock built for accuracy, even if they look cheesey.
The ones I know of are the Savage Accustock, Choate tactical and folding sniper (both use aluminum bedding blocks), A McMillan, or a HS Precision stock. Mine has the Choate Tactical, its the most accurate rifle I own, but its also a heavy SOB.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama