Author Topic: Undercover officers arrange sting on CCW permit class  (Read 5868 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Undercover officers arrange sting on CCW permit class
« on: April 13, 2013, 05:22:50 PM »
The story is that some guy showed up to apply for his CCW, with paperwork showing he'd taken the required (8-hour) class that day. The problem was, it was 1.30 pm. He said the class had begun at 10 am. So two cops enrolled in the same class, the one advertised at the Cabela's where I sometimes shop.

At the end of the March 22 session, the undercover officers identified themselves and notified other students that their training was not valid. One had come from Kansas City. A tactical team then seized computers, tax records and at least four notebooks of handwritten records.

Now THAT would be an interesting CCW class.

The state requires permit seekers to have fired at least 140 practice rounds divided among revolvers and semi-automatic pistols during the training. Stocker said one of the undercover officers fired just seven shots on a range at Crangle’s home before Crangle told him: “I can tell you know what you’re doing,” and stopped him.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/charges-against-st-louis-county-gun-instructor-put-concealed-carry/article_c8d2659b-9f6c-5b39-91f1-acfd48305f52.html

Between this, and all the infosec violations going on in our state - it's a great argument for constitutional carry.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dm1333

• friend
Re: Undercover officers arrange sting on CCW permit class
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 06:16:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure I took a CCW class taught by his brother, Denim Dan the Cowboy Man.  It was one of the more painful 8 hour periods of my life.  At least this guy kept the pain down to a reasonable hour or two!   :angel:

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 07:11:56 PM »
That goofy dingus should be glad I'm not within arms reach at the moment, else I'd throttle the stupid SOB.  Given all the increased scrutiny that gunnies are under these days, and this clown would be that damn dumb.  Its this kind of BS that gets us all viewed in a bad light.   :mad:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 07:28:36 PM »
That goofy dingus should be glad I'm not within arms reach at the moment, else I'd throttle the stupid SOB.  Given all the increased scrutiny that gunnies are under these days, and this clown would be that damn dumb.  Its this kind of BS that gets us all viewed in a bad light.   :mad:

Brad

He is far from the only one.

My state requires the NRA "Basic Pistol" class as a prerequisite for the carry permit. I'm NRA certified to teach that class. Late in 2011 the NRA revised the curriculum by expanding the live fire requirements. Where live fire used to consist of shooting one cylinder or magazine and not hitting anything you weren't supposed to, it now mandates a MINIMUM of fifty rounds and it requires that students be able to shoot something loosely resembling groups. And the class is supposed to be eight hours (minimum).

I know one instructor who hasn't changed what he's been doing in twenty-five years. His classes start at 8:00 a.m. and they're finished by 2:00 or 2:30 -- and that's including range time, for up to fifteen people.

I also know the instructor used by a small gun shop near my home, I know he's not doing what the NRA calls for, and I got the owners of the shop very [irritated with] me when I tried to point out to them that, since the guy is booking the classes through their store and he is not meeting the legal requirement, if there's ever a problem some of the excrement is going to land on their doorstep. They didn't want to hear it.

Yes, this is exactly what shows us all off in a bad light -- and, unfortunately, there's a LOT of it going on. The NRA is no help, either. Several years ago I contacted the training department at HQ to report an instructor who was giving out ... in NRA "Basic Pistol" classes ... information that was both incorrect and dangerous. He was telling students who had 1911 pistils of the Series 80 style that their pistols were "defective." Not only that, he was "fixing" them as a requirement of admitting the owners into his classes. And he doesn't have a license as a gunsmith.

When I reported him to the NRA, ALL they did was to verify that his instructor certification was current, so he wasn't misusing the NRA certification in advertising his classes. The fact he was unqualified to be working on 1911s and didn't even know how they work, and that he was "repairing" guns that weren't broken, was of no interest to them.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:35:42 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 10:10:44 PM »
When I took my original CCW class there were 2 of us in the class.  It took us a whole lot less time to do the book work requirement than a class with 10-15 people.  I was finished in under 6 hours, +1hour drive each way, to the class and range.  The range time was equally less.  Last summer when I renewed my license, all that was required of me was range time and an update on any law changes.  I was done in 3 hours and that includes 45min drive to the range.

That being said, we have had our share of bad CCW instructors.  One I heard of did not change targets between students.  One added a firearm to our former Governor's CCW permit that he did not qualify with (that law has been changed since, you only have to qualify with an auto and/or a revolver now, not a model).

Not withstanding, the person was an moron for applying so soon after the class or the instructor was for not telling them to wait till the next day.  I am not condoning his actions, but their can be extenuating circumstances.  If a Sheriff isn't second amendment friendly (mine isn't and will never receive my vote again), then they will look for any excuse to come down on people.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 10:22:17 PM »
I am not condoning his actions, but their can be extenuating circumstances. 

I guess I'm a closed-minded S.O.B. but I fail to conceive of any extenuating circumstances that could possibly justify doing what is intended to be a minimum 8-hour class in 3 hours.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 11:10:09 PM »
In my book, 8-hours is 8-hours.  My CCW class was scheduled for two 4-hour sessions.  I liked it that way as they prepped you for the shooting part of it as to what to expect (50 rounds).  I still wish I had chosen a 22 rather than the new Ruger GP-100 using 357's and I hadn't shot that particular revolver before.  I passed by the way.... but I did not shoot beyond 45 feet unless required to do so.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 11:21:21 PM »
I guess I'm a closed-minded S.O.B. but I fail to conceive of any extenuating circumstances that could possibly justify doing what is intended to be a minimum 8-hour class in 3 hours.

Meh, I can't work myself up into a Javert-ian indignation over procedural BS.  Most of the time of most CHL classes I have taken was wasted time.  "Really, so that is a revolver?"  "I ought to try defusing/de-escalating the situation before using deadly force?  Who knew?"  The only thing worth my time were that state's use of force peculiarities and CHL-specific requirements & actions.

As I get older, I have less tolerance for such foolishness and bureaucritter i-dotting and t-crossing.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 11:32:37 PM »

While I think the instructor in the OP is probably a dufus of the first order I can see where a class of 2-3 already reasonably well informed/experienced about firearms and above average intelligence* folks might be able to knock out in 3-4 hours what a class of 10-12 not terribly knowledgeable about firearms and of average intelligence** would have to plow through in 8 hours.

* typical APS denizen

** run of the mill, booger eating, slack jawed, mouth breathing, Jersey Shore watching, red blooded American.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 11:38:52 PM »
While I think the instructor in the OP is probably a dufus of the first order I can see where a class of 2-3 already reasonably well informed/experienced about firearms and above average intelligence* folks might be able to knock out in 3-4 hours what a class of 10-12 not terribly knowledgeable about firearms and of average intelligence** would have to plow through in 8 hours.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. The class has to be 8 hours long, and it really doesn't make much difference what the students already know. The instructor has to cover certain things, and that's all there is to it.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 02:31:43 AM »

I meant no offense, I can only relate to the classes in the state of Nevada.  For us we are given instruction and a test, you must pass the test, then the range test.  It doesn't say you must sit in a classroom for 8 hours or 4 hours.  If the guy broke the law then he needs his license revoked.(period)  I wish every state had Vermont carry, but sadly that's not the case.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 05:11:01 AM »
Meh; the only trouble I have with this guy is he got caught. If we should have to have a CCL at all, it should be set up to be much more like Indiana's, which has no training requirement.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:56:24 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 08:47:20 AM »

* typical APS denizen

** run of the mill, booger eating, slack jawed, mouth breathing, Jersey Shore watching, red blooded American.

The fact of the matter will be that the law states the class must be 8 hours, so there is likely little recourse for the party in question. That said, I 100% agree with what RKL wrote. "Class must be 8 hours" is a stupid, lowest common denominator requirement.  It doesn't just apply to CHL classes. Classes like this should be based on curriculum requirements. If you have a class of bright students that knock everything out in five hours, why do they need to sit there another three?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 08:50:32 AM »
I meant no offense, I can only relate to the classes in the state of Nevada.  For us we are given instruction and a test, you must pass the test, then the range test.  It doesn't say you must sit in a classroom for 8 hours or 4 hours.  If the guy broke the law then he needs his license revoked.(period)  I wish every state had Vermont carry, but sadly that's not the case.

Every state's laws are different. (Bet you never heard that before, right?) There's a legal aspect, and there's a contractual aspect, and they may overlap. I can speak knowledgeably only about my state. The law pertaining to the training prerequisite to a carry permit says:

Upon the application of any person having a bona fide residence or place of business within the jurisdiction of any such authority, such chief of police, warden or selectman may issue a temporary state permit to such person to carry a pistol or revolver within the state, provided such authority shall find that such applicant intends to make no use of any pistol or revolver which such applicant may be permitted to carry under such permit other than a lawful use and that such person is a suitable person to receive such permit. No state or temporary state permit to carry a pistol or revolver shall be issued under this subsection if the applicant (1) has failed to successfully complete a course approved by the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers including, but not limited to, a safety or training course in the use of pistols and revolvers available to the public offered by a law enforcement agency, a private or public educational institution or a firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection and a safety or training course in the use of pistols or revolvers conducted by an instructor certified by the state or the National Rifle Association, ...

Elsewhere in regulations, it is clarified that the NRA course approved by the State is "Basic Pistol," NOT "Home Firearms safety," NOT "First Steps," NOT 'Personal Protection ..." So, in order to satisfy State law, an instructor either offers the NRA "Basic Pistol" class, or some other class put on by a law enforcement agency -- and I don't know of any law enforcement agency in the state that will train "civilians."

So we instructors offer the NRA "Basic Pistol" class. The NRA has a printed course outline and lesson plan for the class. In the NRA Trainer's Guide, the following statement is made:

It is more important that training objectives be achieved than time requirements met. The time requirements for each lesson are the estimated minimum times needed to accomplish them. (See Figure 3.) (Some states have minimum hour requirements to meet carry permit criteria.)

Then we go to the course outline for "Basic Pistol." Right up front, on the page where they put the overall course outline, it states:

Length of Course: 8 hours. Additional time may be desirable in order for students to develop skills before moving on to the next lesson.

The NRA requires its instructors to follow its curriculum if presenting a class purporting to be an NRA class. That's pretty basic, and in addition to being a violation of the NRA's rules, offering a class as an NRA class and providing something else probably constitutes fraud. So the "Basic Pistol" class is supposed to be 8 hours in length -- MINIMUM. Some states require 8 hours as a minimum.

The NRA "Basic Pistol" class requires live fire, and my state's regulations require live fire. Here's the live fire protocol for NRA "Basic Pistol" (these are all minimum round counts, for EACH student in the class):

ONE HAND

Single Shot: Two groups of 5 shots, loading each cartridge one at a time for each shot. If student can't hit paper, repeat until he/she can stay "on paper." (10 rounds, minimum)

Five Shot: Have students load five cartridges and fire at a blank target, at their own pace, to achieve a shot group. All shots should be on the target. Be sure that the students rest between each shot. Repeat the exercise until your student is able to shoot "groups" anywhere on the target. Observe and offer feedback as appropriate. (10 rounds, minimum)

Five Shot Groups at Bullseye: Continue to have the students load and fire five shots from the bench. The students may now fire on a bullseye target, using a six-o-clock hold so that they can see the front sight clearly in the white area of the target. ... Repeat the five shot exercise until your student is able to shoot at least three, five-shot groups within a 9-inch diameter circle in the middle of the target. (15 rounds, minimum)

TWO HAND

Each student demonstrates proper position without holding a pistol

Each student then demonstrates the proper position while holding an unloaded pistol

Each student then demonstrates dry firing the pistol. Instructor critiques students' technique.

Single Shot: Have the students load and fire one cartridge at a time. Have the students fire five shots at a bullseye target. Be sure that the students rest between each shot. ... Repeat the exercise, for a total of ten shots. (10 rounds, minimum)

Five Shot Groups: Have students load five cartridges and fire at a blank target, at their own pace, to achieve a shot group. All shots should be on the target. Be sure that the students rest between each shot. Repeat the five shot exercise until your student is able to shoot at least three, five-shot groups within a 9-inch
diameter circle in the middle of the target. (15 rounds, minimum)

That's 60 rounds, as an absolute minimum, with at least 20 of them being fired single shot (not "single action," but loading and firing one round at a time, and then loading the next round). This is the MINIMUM live fire component for an instructor to legitimately call his/her course the NRA "Basic Pistol" course. How long would it take to run even one student through this protocol?

Now, how long should it take to run a class of five or ten students through this? I didn't even include the sections where it calls for "discussing" the exercises at the completion of each segment. I respectfully submit that it requires more than three hours to run even five students through this protocol. If you're NOT following this protocol, you're not teaching the NRA "Basic Pistol" course.

This is not to say that I agree we should have to take a class to get a carry permit, or even that we should have to get a permission slip from the nanny state before we are allowed to exercise a fundamental constitutional right. But that's not the discussion here. The point here is, the state's law requires 8 hours, the NRA requires 8 hours, the guy provided three hours. Three hours isn't enough to get through the "Basic Pistol" course syllabus even if you read fast and don't stop for potty breaks, and it certainly isn't enough time for the prescribed live fire exercise on top of the classroom syllabus.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 08:57:59 AM by Hawkmoon »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 08:57:03 AM »
If you have a class of bright students that knock everything out in five hours, why do they need to sit there another three?
Its almost if the public schooling mentality has crept into the requirements- a huge mandatory waster of time and its only luck that the students learn anything at all.

Meh, I can't work myself up into a Javert-ian indignation over procedural BS.  Most of the time of most CHL classes I have taken was wasted time.  "Really, so that is a revolver?"  "I ought to try defusing/de-escalating the situation before using deadly force?  Who knew?"  The only thing worth my time were that state's use of force peculiarities and CHL-specific requirements & actions.

As I get older, I have less tolerance for such foolishness and bureaucritter i-dotting and t-crossing.

I would take the side of the bet where the 'instructor' gets much higher penalties and much more moral indignation heaped on him than the common street thug who is caught illegally carrying a firearm.
Common thief/burglar caught with gun= catch and release.
Instructor committing crime against a bureaucratic arm of the state?- send in the SWAT, shoot the dogs, tackle pregnant wife, confiscate everything.

Maybe the St. Louis police had no REAL crimes to clean up after that day?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 08:58:15 AM »
The fact of the matter will be that the law states the class must be 8 hours, so there is likely little recourse for the party in question. That said, I 100% agree with what RKL wrote. "Class must be 8 hours" is a stupid, lowest common denominator requirement.  It doesn't just apply to CHL classes. Classes like this should be based on curriculum requirements. If you have a class of bright students that knock everything out in five hours, why do they need to sit there another three?

Texas has that gorram requirement.  
I just talked the wife into getting her permit.....when she realized how long the class is, she might have referred to me in unkind terminology.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 10:57:33 AM »
Texas has that gorram requirement.  
I just talked the wife into getting her permit.....when she realized how long the class is, she might have referred to me in unkind terminology.....
I think it used to be 12 hours.  It has gotten better. 

At least the renewal is much shorter. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 11:38:24 AM »
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. The class has to be 8 hours long, and it really doesn't make much difference what the students already know. The instructor has to cover certain things, and that's all there is to it.

There are lots of absofrackinglutley stupid laws. Reducing instruction to the lowest common denominator for everyone is one such law. Wouldn't it make more sense to mandate what material has to be covered than to mandate a specific arbitrary time period as a requerement?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:41:25 AM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 11:39:04 AM »
Single Shot: Two groups of 5 shots, loading each cartridge one at a time for each shot.

Geez, I've been shooting for 40 years.

Just give me the gorram gun and let me blow a bunch of holes in the middle of the target.   :facepalm:

If Bullock doesn't veto, we will have constitutional carry this year, finally.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 11:49:48 AM »
Righteous indignation and what we would all like to see in terms of fed gun regs aside, the fact is the guy intentionally did not meet the mandated time requirement.  If the class is supposed to last eight hours then it lasts eight hours.  Period.  It may be a stupid, arbitrary requirement, but it's the requirement.  You agree to that when you get your instructor's license.

Gunnies are already under the microscope, both socially and politically.  In pulling this kind of stunt this guy didn't just screw himself or his students (including ALL the students who've been through his class that will likely now be receiving letters saying their CHL is no longer valid and they'll have to take the class somewhere else).  No, in doing something this abysmally stupid he screwed us all because it gives the anti's a HUGE item to use in their mantra of "see, those gun owners are a bunch of (insert socio-political insult here)...".  For that, and that alone, he deserves every bit of scorn I can muster.  You want to screw yourself?  Fine.  You do something intentionally and overtly stupid that screws us all?  Tough cookies, you deserve the public flogging you will no doubt soon receive.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:47:02 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 03:27:12 PM »
There are lots of absofrackinglutley stupid laws. Reducing Requiring instruction to the lowest common denominator for everyone [who wants to exercise their constitutionally-protected human right] is one such law.

Fixed it for ya!

Wouldn't it make more sense to mandate what material has to be covered than to mandate a specific arbitrary time period as a requerement?

Oh, don't worry. Missouri law mandates both.   :police:

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 03:31:55 PM »
Glad to see that the cops have beaten back the real crime there in order to go after these scofflaws.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 01:32:15 AM »
If Bullock doesn't veto, we will have constitutional carry this year, finally.

Our governor vetoed our constitutional carry bill.  =( And that after the legislators neutered the bill (gun can't have a round in the chamber / must be "two actions" from firing) in a fruitless attempt to avoid veto.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »
I have to think this instructor has been doing this for quite some time and never had a fool try to apply before the scheduled end of class.  I'll bet he told the students not to apply before such and such time.  IMO, this should be treated as a test for the idiot who applied early his application should get rejected on grounds he is too stupid. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 10:59:30 AM »
We had a guy here doing the same thing and got busted about a year ago or so. It's mandated that the class is at least eight hours, which is asinine. Most classes fill out time with BS sessions or watching the same videos two or three times.

IIRC, they actually went back and informed a bunch of people their permits were no longer valid and they would need to retake a class with the proper instruction time.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.