Author Topic: Big Boy Rules?  (Read 5145 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Big Boy Rules?
« on: May 13, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »
I don't know a great deal about that there high-speed pistolero training, but I would have thought you could just use a barrel or silhouette target, as an obstacle, instead of a person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iq9suWD811k#t=1m40s

Or do I just need to put on my big boy pants?  ???
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 06:37:03 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Big Boy Rules?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 08:29:28 PM »
I am not tacticool enough to serve as a shooting range barrier for another student.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:33:38 PM »
I am not tacticool enough to serve as a shooting range barrier for another student.

How about a backstop?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 10:17:38 PM »
Looks like a good place for this:

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 10:21:15 PM »
Since labor appears to be cheap there (in the photo), why are there so many weedz growing?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 10:26:18 PM »
Since labor appears to be cheap there (in the photo), why are there so many weedz growing?

I'd say concealment.  I bet they recommend them as cover.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 10:49:43 PM »
Meh.  They clearly aren't allowed to draw until they are already in front of the "obstacle" student.  I'd be worried more about Jocassee hunting that white 4-door sedan later on.   :lol:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 10:53:29 PM »
Barrels cost money. People pay to be the barrier. Simple economics.  ;)

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 10:59:38 PM »
Meh.  They clearly aren't allowed to draw until they are already in front of the "obstacle" student.

This. While I don't see the point in that particular exercise on the video, I can't really say a safety rule was violated.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 11:09:54 PM »

Turnover is measured in minutes.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 11:14:34 PM »
I don't know a great deal about that there high-speed pistolero training, but I would have thought you could just use a barrel or silhouette target, as an obstacle, instead of a person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iq9suWD811k#t=1m40s

Or do I just need to put on my big boy pants?  ???

There is definitely a level where people crossing each other during live fire practice is done. The famed stories about a member of the Royal family standing in the "rubber room" during SAS CQB/Rescue practice etc. However, I'm not sure that class is "that level".  =D

Although, seeing as they don't draw until past the 180 deg line of the person standing there, I'd agree, no actual 4-rules safety violations are happening.
I promise not to duck.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 11:25:57 PM »
There is definitely a level where people crossing each other during live fire practice is done. The famed stories about a member of the Royal family standing in the "rubber room" during SAS CQB/Rescue practice etc. However, I'm not sure that class is "that level".  =D

Although, seeing as they don't draw until past the 180 deg line of the person standing there, I'd agree, no actual 4-rules safety violations are happening.

The person standing there might be "The Judge" as to whether or not they drew too soon, which would make a point of using a person rather than an object.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 11:53:59 PM »
The person standing there might be "The Judge" as to whether or not they drew too soon, which would make a point of using a person rather than an object.

Good point, or it's buddy system where they each take turns judging each other on their form when drawing/presenting.

And I guess it does make sense, like if you're out at a store, you're CCW'ing, and something horrible goes down, and your spouse or even just some bystander is standing right in front of your way. Target fixation with an innocent person right in front of you is kind of a bad thing. So some reflexes/muscle memory of drawing and darting around them could be a good thing.

And maybe where "disruptive environments" comes into the class name.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 01:31:44 AM »
There were about eight other men who I would trust to manipulate and operate their weapons in such close proximity to my own person, ten or more years ago.

These days that number is zero, including folks I met that day at the Tacky-Cool Gunz School.  And they shouldn't trust me, either, considering the trigger time I don't get these days.

Let us not use Ockham's Butterknife when his Razor points to yet more gimmicky gun school hijinks.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 06:18:57 AM »
Am I the only viewer amused by the exaggerated and ritualistic "check to your right and your left" at the conclusion of each sequence? Yes, I know that after ending a specific threat it's a good idea to scan for additional threats on the flanks, but "We fight as we train." These students are being brainwashed to make a robot-like turn of the head exactly 90 degrees to the right, then 90 degrees to the left. They aren't being trained to actually see anything when they do so. In a real-world situation, depending on circumstances, it might make a lot more sense to look first to the left but someone who has undergone a rigid training such as this will reflexively look to the right regardless of what's unfolding around him. And it's possible that could get him killed.

So could making the look so robot-like that you turn right, then turn left without even seeing the threat on the right.

The people in those sequences move like their heads are operated by strings.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 06:46:58 AM »
So could making the look so robot-like that you turn right, then turn left without even seeing the threat on the right.

Truth.

Once, many years ago, I was testing a driver for his CDL license.  Bright sunny day.  He was WELL trained.  Pulled up to the RR tracks, stopped, opened the door and window, scanned and looked DIRECTLY AT THE TRAIN THAT WAS COMING OUR WAY ABOUT 100 YARDS OUT, closed the doors and started across the tracks.  The flashing lights, bells, and gates stopped him just before I did.

Yeah, he failed that attempt.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 08:35:42 AM »
Okay, I'll be prepared to be flamed.

I saw nothing wrong with the video. I took a course similar to this. It included all the barrier cover / concealment shooting, as well as a drill having someone standing in front of you. In my case the drill was to use your weak arm to "sweep" the person out of your way and behind you while you draw from the holster, put two in the target with a one-handed shot as you sweep your partner back (they had to be behind you before you start to draw), then go to a standard two-handed form for the follow ups. The drill was closely supervised and I felt it was quite safe. The course instructor billed the drill as getting a loved one out of the way and behind you to engage a street mugger or robber or whatever.

My course (which was intermediate, and this one looked advanced), while covering light use (non-mounted), only did so in daylight, and we didn't do any vehicle exercises. Frankly, I like that they did that here. If I had to evaluate the two likeliest scenarios where I might need to use a pistol, it would be at night (home invasion) and in my vehicle (carjacking or similar and I can't use the car to get away). Watching the video actually is making me want to find a course where I could practice vehicle situations, especially accessing my pistol since I am always trying to figure out the whole leaving it in the holster versus putting it somewhere else in the vehicle thing. Not to mention the limited movement being belted in allows.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 08:50:12 AM »
Am I the only viewer amused by the exaggerated and ritualistic "check to your right and your left" at the conclusion of each sequence? Yes, I know that after ending a specific threat it's a good idea to scan for additional threats on the flanks, but "We fight as we train." These students are being brainwashed to make a robot-like turn of the head exactly 90 degrees to the right, then 90 degrees to the left. They aren't being trained to actually see anything when they do so. In a real-world situation, depending on circumstances, it might make a lot more sense to look first to the left but someone who has undergone a rigid training such as this will reflexively look to the right regardless of what's unfolding around him. And it's possible that could get him killed.

The people in those sequences move like their heads are operated by strings.

I've always thought it would be good training to have additional targets and interrupt the scan with them.  Maybe a pop up or swinger that is activated during the scan.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 09:06:40 AM »
Looks like a good place for this:

Would hate to live in the apartments in back. (Even in China, I don't think this represents an actual shooting position for the target.)

As for the video linked in the OP . . . in theory there's no safety violation as long as the shooter doesn't draw until he's past the observer. But with pressure and the excitement of a competitive environment, I personally want no part of this exercise.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:49:38 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 09:19:36 AM »
I've always thought it would be good training to have additional targets and interrupt the scan with them.  Maybe a pop up or swinger that is activated during the scan.

In the same course I mentioned above, the instructor or one of his assistants would often set various objects out in the training area, then ask us to identify them after we did the scan. It helped to snap us out of the "robot head turn", but most of us still failed to identify stuff more than we succeeded,  so doing it as a ritual definitely can zone you out. Having some kind of target activated that you either shoot at (or don't), as JJ suggested could certainly help make the "head turn" more useful.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 10:40:26 AM »

I was going to post something like this, then you had to come along and post it first. :mad:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 03:00:22 PM »
>The people in those sequences move like their heads are operated by strings.<

I just wanted to state for the record that I had nothing to do with this, or any other training video
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 03:29:52 PM »
i don't know enough about training to critique what their doing.  it makes me want to get some training!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 03:39:39 PM »
i don't know enough about training to critique what their doing.  it makes me want to get some training!

Who the OP or the Chinese guy?   :P
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »
Turnover is measured in minutes.

What, you don't think they stop SHOOTING to let someone do the weeding, do you?