Author Topic: Rant: Running Shoes  (Read 2571 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Rant: Running Shoes
« on: June 27, 2013, 09:07:33 PM »
Alright, what is the deal with the current crop of running shoes out there and their tutti fruity colors?!?

My New Balance MT811s are about worn, so I was looking for replacements for them, and all the new New Balance running shoes, especially the trail models, seem to only come in multiple, garish colors. They would be an embarrassment to wear.

Sadly, as I've gotten older, my feet have become particular, especially with active wear shoes like running shoes. I'm pretty much wed to New Balance, because in running shoes I need a 2w-4w wide. My MT811s have been perfect and never give me a problem, but of course like all the things I get and decide, "that's for me for the rest of my life", they stopped making them. I wonder if I could apply camo duct tape or something? :)

/rant
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Rant: Running Shoes
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 09:40:22 PM »
Embrace your inner fruity and run on the rainbow.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:48:18 PM »
I was thinking about picking a pair of these up.

Fit right in with my tie die when riding my bike.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:55:14 PM »

I think those would look smashing on you. :)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 09:59:18 PM »
Argh!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 10:07:01 PM »
My gym (weight lifting) shoes are bright red canvas converse shoes.  Bought them for $6 at the outlet.

I would want more subdued running shoes, though.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 10:15:01 PM »
yeah I've noticed it to, and it's fugly.

Have you tried shopping online? I know exactly the size I need in New Balance shoes, so I've had good luck switching over to online shopping. Plus of this is that you can usually select the color option that doesn't look like you just got done face stomping a clown.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 10:21:27 PM »
My work shirts are a bright safety green/yellow so I've been buying the most garish running shoes I can find to keep it kind of matching.

I've found that if you shop on Amazon you can find a good shoe and they'll have different prices for different colors.  Pick the least liked color and you can sometimes find them for half price.

I know that doesn't help you, but I find it great!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 10:30:36 PM »
yeah I've noticed it to, and it's fugly.

Have you tried shopping online? I know exactly the size I need in New Balance shoes, so I've had good luck switching over to online shopping. Plus of this is that you can usually select the color option that doesn't look like you just got done face stomping a clown.

Yeah, I got the MT811s from Zappos. I've been doing some Amazon searches since I posted this topic, and actually found something that looks similar to the 811s, in grey camo even, but of course they're out of my size. I'm gonna keep at it. I'll tell you this, if I like whatever I get after a few runs, I'm getting three more pairs to put away.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 10:56:35 PM »
I ride my bike for exercise and I want to be as brightly colored as possible. I want drivers to stare at me.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 11:55:11 PM »
I ride my bike for exercise and I want to be as brightly colored as possible. I want drivers to stare at me.
I assume you mean as long as they are not coming right at you.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 01:11:51 AM »

Well, if you're already wearing tie die, you can't really get less fashionable from there.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 05:27:31 AM »
I want drivers to stare at me.
Biking nekkid aint cool man.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 09:53:33 AM »
Biking nekkid aint cool man.

It sure is when the mercury drops below 60degF.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 10:00:59 AM »
I used to wear "Brooks Beast" running shoes when they were in normal colors. Last time I went to the Brooks website, this picture is what greeted me. Not as garish as the ASICS shoes earlier in the thread, but they do seem to include a fairy. (Probably sell well in 'Frisco.)

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »
Perhaps more people want more colorful shoes than plain old white ones? If that the demand, then the style is created to supply the demand.

Plain white or mostly white sneakers have been out of fashion for a few years now. I image the cod piece was met with some resistance when it became popular.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 10:30:58 AM »
Perhaps more people want more colorful shoes than plain old white ones? If that the demand, then the style is created to supply the demand.

Plain white or mostly white sneakers have been out of fashion for a few years now. I image the cod piece was met with some resistance when it became popular.

I'm not looking for white to run in dirt and mud and wet beach sand. I'm just looking for something that doesn't stand out from seven miles away.

Actually white sneakers for non-sport wear are quite popular with the retro crowd. Most of the big names are remaking their styles from the 80s.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 11:02:05 AM »
I'm not looking for white to run in dirt and mud and wet beach sand. I'm just looking for something that doesn't stand out from seven miles away.

Actually white sneakers for non-sport wear are quite popular with the retro crowd. Most of the big names are remaking their styles from the 80s.

The reason they are making the trail shoes in that color is so that it makes the body easier to find for the search teams.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 11:15:38 AM »
I've got a pair of New Balance trail runners.  After spending just over $100 for some reboks that I liked, I started having a myriad of problems running.  Finally gave up thinking it was my old body.  Then, I thought, what if it's the shoes?
$59 New balance trail shoes, and voila! No more problems.  
And they're grey/black.  The only "color" is the N is outlined in orange.

I work out in a pair of blue/grey Rebok zigzag trainers (hence, the zigzag runners that sucked).  

Coincidentally, I just finished a mile and a half with the dog.  Heading to the gym now.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 11:35:20 AM »
Yeah, I got the MT811s from Zappos. I've been doing some Amazon searches since I posted this topic, and actually found something that looks similar to the 811s, in grey camo even, but of course they're out of my size. I'm gonna keep at it. I'll tell you this, if I like whatever I get after a few runs, I'm getting three more pairs to put away.

I like Zappos for their free overnight shipping, both ways.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 11:40:37 AM »
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 11:50:22 AM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 11:44:01 AM »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 11:50:39 AM »
Poor Brad. He didn't even post here.

See above ^

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 12:19:45 PM »

I'm guessing Ben wants something in a more subdued color than either bright white or neon vermilion.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 12:25:24 PM »

Uranus is a gas giant.