Author Topic: Ohio State University Police get armored MRAP  (Read 7989 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Ohio State University Police get armored MRAP
« on: September 29, 2013, 10:59:53 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/18/ohio-state-university-armored-truck_n_3949750.html

"We pride ourselves on being self-sufficient from local authorities," Denton said, noting that Columbus' local police force does not have a bomb squad. "Frankly, we have to be. We are the primary responder."

Next time they need 4 dead in Ohio they don't have to wait for the National Guard. =|
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Ohio State University Police get armored MRAP
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 08:12:44 AM »
Meh, military surplus the cops got for the price of the gas to drive it away. I'm not overly worried. No reason to not park it somewhere, drive it around the block once a month to keep everything running. Maybe the ROTC cadets could be given the task of maintaining it or the monthly spin, good practice for officers. People got all tin foil when we (the ROTC detachment) did air assault training using the campus stadium. "zOMG, soldiers in two Chinooks are coming for my weed!" Now if they start USING it like the campus was Iraq, folks would have a reason to be upset.

The campus cops were too lazy to do anything besides catch people for going 1 mph over the speed limit (no joke) and busting parties.

Admittedly, it WOULD be useful in any natural disaster or emergency. Be handy for dragging a tree or whatnot.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 08:16:02 AM »
Fact-check, please.

While police departments across the country have been acquiring MRAP's at an alarming pace, colleges have had less success. Last year, when University of California-Berkeley campus police tried to buy an 8-ton armored truck, university officials canceled the order, saying such a vehicle was "not the best choice for a university setting."

Berkley?  As in UC-Berkley?  Hippie central?

I can understand the Kampus Kops wanting any new toy they can get their hands on, but an MRAP for UC-Berkley just about disproves the contact high defense.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 09:28:18 AM »
The story I read on this had the University MRAP as a side note. It focused on the Dallas Sheriff's dept. getting one to act as a "safety arch" while serving warrants.

I prefer to see the "We've got the place surrounded. Come out with your hands up!" method used myself. But that's just me.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/30/us-police-obtaining-military-vehicles-to-aid-hunt-for-criminals/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:44:28 AM »
When you are given a hammer, then every problem becomes a nail.

Also there is the "Hey!!  We have this neat piece of equipment, we need to use it, a lot, to justify it's existence."

I predict they'll be using it to run radar or some other damn fool thing within six months.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »
Didn't the Bolshevics come up with a cheap & easy way to deal with the occasional armored vehicle, should someone decide to "use it like the campus was Iraq"?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 03:24:52 PM »
They will use it to break up the keggers.....
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 03:35:47 PM »
I wonder what the operating cost per hour of something like that is.  You may get it for 'free' from the Feds, but can you afford to run it?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 03:48:01 PM »
Meh, military surplus the cops got for the price of the gas to drive it away. I'm not overly worried. No reason to not park it somewhere, drive it around the block once a month to keep everything running. Maybe the ROTC cadets could be given the task of maintaining it or the monthly spin, good practice for officers. People got all tin foil when we (the ROTC detachment) did air assault training using the campus stadium. "zOMG, soldiers in two Chinooks are coming for my weed!" Now if they start USING it like the campus was Iraq, folks would have a reason to be upset.

The campus cops were too lazy to do anything besides catch people for going 1 mph over the speed limit (no joke) and busting parties.

Admittedly, it WOULD be useful in any natural disaster or emergency. Be handy for dragging a tree or whatnot.

University facility services department should already have any number of tools suitable for that ranging from one ton class pickups, flatbed utility trucks, possibly even tractor-trailer rigs, to light/medium duty industrial equipment like backhoes, tractors, bobcats and such.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 03:53:23 PM »
University facility services department should already have any number of tools suitable for that ranging from one ton class pickups, flatbed utility trucks, possibly even tractor-trailer rigs, to light/medium duty industrial equipment like backhoes, tractors, bobcats and such.
Can't they just have their mechanical engineering class put together a killdozer as their assigned senior project?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 04:40:46 PM »

I'd actually transfer it to the facilities department. Stencil it and everything. THEM I trust with a killdozer.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 06:09:04 PM »
Dallas PD says they're gonna use their new MRAP toy to serve warrants according to their spokesman. It's for officer safety he says.
 :facepalm:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 06:14:23 PM »
The "Standing Army". Nothing to see here.....Move along.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 09:10:28 AM »
These tools obviously don't understand the world's history of armor and weapons.

Get thicker armor and your enemy will make (or start to use) weapons that defeat it.  Then you will get (or make) better armor. Rinse. Repeat. For thousands of years.

If an MRAP proves effective for high risk warrants, folks that are likely to be targets of those warrants will employ anti-MRAP tactics or weapons. 

Alternatively we could just say "These weapons of war belong on the battlefields of Iraq, not the streets of America."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 10:47:34 AM »

This right here. Look what has happened with SWAT units.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 10:48:26 AM »
These tools obviously don't understand the world's history of armor and weapons.

Get thicker armor and your enemy will make (or start to use) weapons that defeat it.  Then you will get (or make) better armor. Rinse. Repeat. For thousands of years.

If an MRAP proves effective for high risk warrants, folks that are likely to be targets of those warrants will employ anti-MRAP tactics or weapons. 

Cops can't live inside those MRAPs 24/7
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 12:22:06 PM »
Dallas PD says they're gonna use their new MRAP toy to serve warrants according to their spokesman. It's for officer safety he says.
 :facepalm:

Of course they are.  It's perfectly reasonable, acceptable, and constitutional to break down the door, throw in a few flash-bangs, and threaten to shoot someone who is merely suspected of illegal behavior . . .

/sarcasm
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 01:12:17 PM »
Of course they are.  It's perfectly reasonable, acceptable, and constitutional to break down the door, throw in a few flash-bangs, and threaten to shoot someone who is merely suspected of illegal behavior . . .

/sarcasm

Yea, and then they lose a couple law suits, then likely their toys will go bye-bye.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 01:16:54 PM »
Yea, and then they lose a couple law suits, then likely their toys will go bye-bye.

But the dead people in the "wrong house" don't come back  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 01:25:07 PM »
But the dead people in the "wrong house" don't come back  =(

*shrug* Until you put a huge dent in qualified immunity, there's not much alternatives. Cops just don't face the same justice system.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 01:26:11 PM »

In fact, you start going around looking for nails so you can use your shiny new hammer.
"It's good, though..."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Ohio State University Police get armored MRAP
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 03:08:52 PM »
Maybe i missed it but the only time i recall a dept screwing up with something like this was when saint arrapio ran amuck. And that was certainly ok

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 03:14:12 PM »
*shrug* Until you put a huge dent in qualified immunity, there's not much alternatives. Cops just don't face the same justice system.

Yeah, we live in a police state  =(

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Re:
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 09:43:06 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/18/ohio-state-university-armored-truck_n_3949750.html

Next time they need 4 dead in Ohio they don't have to wait for the National Guard. =|

Our small OH county Sheriff picked up 5 Humvees from the FED (1 is armored) for next to nothing.

Never needed them and never will.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re:
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 09:45:03 AM »
Our small OH county Sheriff picked up 5 Humvees from the FED (1 is armored) for next to nothing.

Never needed them and never will.

Might come in handy during a blizzard and having the rescue idiots on the highways. Well the non armored ones anyways.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536