Author Topic: traffic camera footage of 40 car pile up in Wisconsin  (Read 21675 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
traffic camera footage of 40 car pile up in Wisconsin
« on: December 10, 2013, 01:27:05 PM »
Skip to 3:45 for the real action and queue the Benny Hill music.

http://www.wisn.com/massive-wisconsin-pileup-caught-on-camera/-/9374034/23398806/-/gpsil0z/-/index.html

1.  Slow down
2.  Get your car off the road if possible when you wreck or stall
3.  Stay in your cars
4.  Pack clean underwear

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: traffic camera footage of 40 car pile up in Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 01:27:53 PM »
Must be a bunch of native Texans that were going to a Packer's game.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 01:49:27 PM »
Better video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUg5VC_RvGU

guaranteed the driver entering the frame at 1:23 has studded snows........

I can't believe how many people are out of their cars and standing on the road.......
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 01:49:38 PM »
And there was only a couple inches of snow that day.  Happens every year; people forget how to drive in snow even though it's only been a few months since the last time they drove in snow.  This phenomenon is one of the reasons for my theory that people get behind the wheel and turn off their brains.  What little brains they had in the first place.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
That's stretch is part of my everyday drive. A lot of ahole drivers driving like aholes at any given time. I hope some learning occurred.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 02:07:48 PM »
I was involved in a pile-up in similar conditions about 20 years ago.  Everyone was creeping along at 10-15MPH on when someone up front lost it.  Bumper cars and bent metal, but nobody hurt.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 02:10:07 PM »
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »

Two rules of snow driving. Go slow and only use your brakes when you absolutely positively must.

Looked like the only folks that made things worse were flying down the road. Those going slower were fine.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
Holy Blues Brothers!   :rofl:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »
Two rules of snow driving. Go slow and only use your brakes when you absolutely positively must.

Looked like the only folks that made things worse were flying down the road. Those going slower were fine.

Yep. I saw a lot of intelligent drivers there. I saw some that suffered despite their intelligence, though.

Also, even moving WELL off the road is clearly not a guarantee of safety.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »
guaranteed the driver entering the frame at 1:23 has studded snows........

I can't believe how many people are out of their cars and standing on the road.......

I agree.  Then you have them standing on the other side of the cement divider with their backs to oncoming traffic.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 02:50:59 PM »
Also, even moving WELL off the road is clearly not a guarantee of safety.

There are wide shoulders there. People are conditioned to swerving onto the shoulders when a braking event comes up. I've had people maintain a 10' following distance on me for 10 miles- in the slow lane. When traffic slows up ahead, you usually see tailgaters swerve left or right and they usually end up stopped alongside you.

Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 03:00:34 PM »
The empty semi-tractors and the Walmart tractor-trailer all managed to slow down or stop without hitting anything.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 03:32:22 PM »
The empty semi-tractors and the Walmart tractor-trailer all managed to slow down or stop without hitting anything.

Exactly.  The road conditions were not the issue in this particular instance.  The issue is a serious, endemic lack of driving skills.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 03:55:32 PM »
I've basically stopped driving on I-90/94 or I-39 and take state highways to and from.

It's no longer just the FIBs who are driving like a bat out of hell on slick interstates around here, too. 

The day of that pileup, I was stunned at the vehicles who slid through city intersections, when only a fraction of an inch of snow had dropped.   =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
It's no longer just the FIBs who are driving like a bat out of hell on slick interstates around here, too. 

Ja.
Its bad enough that you have the bat-out-of-hell drivers, but also 'enforcers' who are the type that drive in the passing (left) lane at or below the speed limit,with a mile of open road in front of them.  I saw 3 of these on the way home yesterday- all middle aged white males with obama stickers. Bat-out-of-hell + enforcers on the same roadway is a recipe for disaster when the roads are dry.

Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 05:04:06 PM »
Ja.
Its bad enough that you have the bat-out-of-hell drivers, but also 'enforcers' who are the type that drive in the passing (left) lane at or below the speed limit,with a mile of open road in front of them.  I saw 3 of these on the way home yesterday- all middle aged white males with obama stickers. Bat-out-of-hell + enforcers on the same roadway is a recipe for disaster when the roads are dry.

It should be illegal to ram "enforcers".
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 05:08:16 PM »

Umm... I think it is?   =)

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 05:26:44 PM »

bump draft and put em' in the wall

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 05:59:17 PM »
I had some close calls when I was younger that taught me to drive well below the capabilites of my vehicle.

More than once I was cruising down an icy canyon 2-lane road and some yay-hoos were parked in the middle of the road with all doors open and standing out looking at bighorn sheep or something  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 06:12:23 PM »
It warms my heart to think that my ex--who's absolutely terrified of driving in snow, and is now back in Milwaukee--saw that on the news and is probably now terrified to get in her car. :)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 07:23:49 PM »
WI/Milwaukee drivers can handle snow, but they're as bad as everyone else on ice, and worse, ice under snow, and they get complacent because of how aggressively county and muni road workers usually salt, creating a wet grab-layer on the road where the snow slushes out of the way leaving a contact patch not much worse than a rainy day.

We've already had our first slippery day a few weeks back, making this all the more inexcusable.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 07:52:41 PM »
Umm... I think it is?   =)

Gau, phone.  It should be legal, rather.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 09:19:39 PM »
I'm glad I watched the video. That wasn't even a pileup, just a parade of fail. I was expecting one of those "almost unavoidable" pileups, due to the accordian effect, but no. Just people driving way beyond their traction and visibility.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine