Author Topic: Bit snowy this morning!  (Read 6300 times)

Cliffh

• friend
Re: Bit snowy this morning!
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 11:57:06 PM »
I'm going to have to move north.  80+* during winter is just wrong.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 12:01:43 AM »
Still snowing, has been pretty much non stop for 26 hours.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 04:02:37 AM »
Still snowing, has been pretty much non stop for 26 hours.
How many inches?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 07:43:00 AM »
How many inches?

That's what she said.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 09:22:58 AM »
MO-DOT mogul said the sleet is providing a little traction, to keep any more plow trucks from sliding off the road.

So I guess winter is not over.

Oh, and I slept in earplugs, because of the sleet chattering against the window.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 09:23:03 AM »

That's what she said.
I was wondering when that would be posted.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 10:26:40 AM »
Grrr....

Arghh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 10:51:07 AM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 11:13:06 AM »
How many inches?

Not sure because the wind was blowing at the same time, probably 7-9" of powder.

Uranus is a gas giant.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 12:19:10 PM »
http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/neighbors-search-for-rattlesnake-avalanche-victims-belongings/article_c029864a-1189-5396-80e2-de80248c6529.html

The neighbors are salvaging belongings for the hospitalized couple whose home was destroyed  :angel:

I just drove by there a few minutes ago checking on my Grandmother who lives a little further up the street.  That place is destroyed!  There were folks in there digging.

My grandmother is fine, talked to her yesterday, but this morning her phone was just ringing busy so I went to check.  Telco will be there Monday and I asked one of her neighbors to check on her every so often until then.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2014, 01:00:45 PM »
And here comes the snow again...  dumping like crazy  =(  First time I've said this in 10 years living here - I need a snow blower!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 01:51:26 PM »
Our Suburban quit this morning  =(

Can't get the key to turn to start on the 4wd pickup.  ;/

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2014, 03:18:01 PM »
I just drove by there a few minutes ago checking on my Grandmother who lives a little further up the street.

Was there a chute on the mountain that channeled the avalanche into that particular area, or is it just more like a hill where a sheet of snow broke away?

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 04:09:10 PM »
Not sure because the wind was blowing at the same time, probably 7-9" of powder.

Just got down digging out the drive, closer to 10-12" is what I am figuring.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 04:12:10 PM »
And here comes the snow again...  dumping like crazy  =(  First time I've said this in 10 years living here - I need a snow blower!

I got a 32" 10hp 2 stage JD, way overkill for where I live now. Awesome when I lived out in the country.

The Toro single stage snow blowers are about perfect for most in town residences.

Do you have a paved or gravel drive?

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2014, 04:15:37 PM »
We're not geting it that bad but we have about 1/8"-1/4" of ice under the sleet and now we have snow falling. Jut brought in a load of firewood and took the cart out to the woodshed and filled it up again. came in with ice all over my beard and moustache from my breath condensing and freezing. Should be fun at work later tonight.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2014, 04:30:56 PM »
Our Suburban quit this morning  =(

Can't get the key to turn to start on the 4wd pickup.

Warm up the key with a cig lighter.

You could try squirting some alcohol in there... loosen up the lube, unfreeze the moisture... whatever.  I had to do that on my door locks one morning after I got the car pressure washed and it went below freezing that night.  Still had to yank on the door to unstick it, but at least I got the door key in and turned.

Don't think it'd be much of a fire hazard in the ignition switch.  Probably not.  Maybe not.  Possibly not.

Maybe you'd better just warm up the key with a cigarette lighter after all.

Terry
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:36:40 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »
Our Suburban quit this morning  =(

Can't get the key to turn to start on the 4wd pickup.  ;/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Tacoma-CONCEPT-/351010201000?vxp=mtr&afsrc=1
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 04:54:46 PM »
We get sound effects with our snow storms. Thundersnow!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2014, 05:00:50 PM »
Factory AM/FM only?  No CD changer?  Deal's off.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2014, 05:10:54 PM »
I got a 32" 10hp 2 stage JD, way overkill for where I live now. Awesome when I lived out in the country.

The Toro single stage snow blowers are about perfect for most in town residences.

Do you have a paved or gravel drive?

Paved.  I'm not really serious about it though.  I have to clear 2 short sections of sidewalk and a small driveway. 

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2014, 05:12:30 PM »
Was there a chute on the mountain that channeled the avalanche into that particular area, or is it just more like a hill where a sheet of snow broke away?

bob

There is a pretty good chute.  There is a gully that aimed the snow at the house.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2014, 05:45:45 PM »
Warm up the key with a cig lighter.

I don't think it's so much the key switch itself as it is the linkage rod down to the actual switch.  We had the same problem with an 89 Ford.  For that one I took the column cover off and put a split bolt on the rod so you could push down on it manually.  (I think CSD used that on his old Ford, too  :lol: )  This Chevy the top tab on the key switch is broke off which makes it harder.  In warmer weather (+10 etc) it is not much of a problem.  I was actually thinking of running a power cord way out there and puttin a small electric heater in the cab for a while, but tomorrow it's supposed to be about +30.  I either need to fix this thing or figure out a way to hot wire the starter solenoid so we have another 4x4 in really cold weather.  No clue what's wrong with the Suburban...  maybe the fuel pump quit again, or maybe the electronics just died.  It just quit while parking it after chores this morning.  It cranks but won't start.

BTW, when I pushed the snow off the hood and cab of the 89 chevy, the snow was piled up a foot++ higher than the hood on the ground by the right front wheel.  :O  It's got to where it may be interesting getting it out once I get it started: about 75-100 feet of nearly three foot deep snow to get out to where it's sorta shoveled/plowed.  The county plowed the main road so we managed to barely get the Fwd car over to the barn and back.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2014, 06:17:05 PM »
78 yesterday and 19 right now......chris3

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2014, 08:31:13 PM »
(I think CSD used that on his old Ford, too  cheesy )

started her today with it  thank you again
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I