Author Topic: Research into medical marijuana  (Read 3979 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Research into medical marijuana
« on: March 13, 2014, 08:30:57 AM »
http://time.com/20775/sanjay-gupta-medical-marijuana-epilepsy/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+timeblogs%2Ffashionweek+(TIME%3A+Fashion+Week+)

A very interesting article on how it can be difficult to figure out medical use of marijuana based on the lack of research.  As someone who works in healthcare and was trained as a scientist and in the law, I am used to doing research on questions.  When I am looking into a clinical issue, one of my first steps is to do a PubMed search to see what the medical literature says, and I put a lot of weight on the reputable scientific literature.  Anecdotal case reports and personal experience may be interesting and in some cases useful, but it is not the scientific gold standard. 

I think it would be a great thing for the Feds to reclassify marijuana from Schedule One, since this would really help open up the research floodgates.  It will be interesting to see if the marijuana users advocacy is backed up with actual data.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Research into medical marijuana
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 09:26:59 AM »
Hard to do research if you'd be arrested, jailed, and possibly never be able to work in healthcare again in doing said research.

;)
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:28:03 AM »
The Ferals have too many lies invested in the marijuana thing for them to even consider changing its schedule. That's something that is going to have to be done at the state level defying the feral govt.

Alaska classifies MJ as a Schedule VI A controlled substance. Defined as having the lowest degree of danger or probable danger to a person or the public.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:48:28 AM »
Hard to do research if you'd be arrested, jailed, and possibly never be able to work in healthcare again in doing said research.

;)

"No research has ever shown that marijuana has any valid medical value." 
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 10:51:45 AM »
Not to cause thread veer, but does smoking MJ present the same lung cancer risk as tobacco?  I have a picture in my mind of the tobacco lawyers rubbing their hands together just thinking about their new area of litigation.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 10:54:04 AM »
Not to cause thread veer, but does smoking MJ present the same lung cancer risk as tobacco?  I have a picture in my mind of the tobacco lawyers rubbing their hands together just thinking about their new area of litigation.

I've always said that the tort lawyers could do more against MJ than the DEA ever could  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 11:01:20 AM »

I think it would be a great thing for the Feds to reclassify marijuana from Schedule One, since this would really help open up the research floodgates.  It will be interesting to see if the marijuana users advocacy is backed up with actual data.

Not a drug user (other than nicotine, caffeine, and bacon) but I think that the Schedule system has done irreparable harm to med research.  The characteristics which land substances on the ZOMG! list could be immensely beneficial if used strategically for legitimate physician-directed medical purposes.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 11:13:36 AM »
"No research has ever shown that marijuana has any valid medical value." 

Saw a news report recently that a company extracted an oil from cannabis that reduced the frequency of daily severe seizures from 20-25 per day to like 2-3 mild ones.

I think it may have medical value. Just hasn't been figured out yet.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »
MJ has value for mitigating the effects of chemotherapy.  It increases appetite, reduces nausea, and contributes to a feeling of well-being. 

I don't know if the risk of lung cancer is any greater smoking marijuana than smoking cigarettes.  I doubt it, since the total quantity smoked tends to be significantly less than tobacco.  Plus there are other methods of ingesting THC than smoking.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 11:24:36 AM »
Saw a news report recently that a company extracted an oil from cannabis that reduced the frequency of daily severe seizures from 20-25 per day to like 2-3 mild ones.

You missed the point  :facepalm:

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 11:35:52 AM »

The feds won't allow any research into MJ that might find valid medical value.  That's why none has been found.  

"Marihuana is the most dangerous drug of all, specifically because it's NOT dangerous"  (I just made that up)

disclaimer:  unlike our past 3 presidents, I've never tried the stuff
"It's good, though..."

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 12:22:20 PM »
You missed the point  :facepalm:

Guess so. Maybe the dude they interviewed is in jail now.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 02:00:47 PM »
Cannabis is supposed to have some very interesting anti-inflammatory properties. Reducing or avoiding the inflammatory response in lung tissue is supposed to work against the development of precancerous lesions and chronic respiratory diseases (example: enfisema)... which may very well be the reason why cancer and other illnesses have never been demonstrated by any measure to be associated with long term cannabis use. What I find interesting is that most of the medicinal properties that cannabis may have is found to be related to the non-THC cannabinoids... the reason synthetic Marinolâ„¢ is a total flop for patient relief when compared to the real deal. With the many, many, many active compounds in it, pure THC≠Cannabis.

Of course we aren't meant to find out everything there is to know about the devil weed.

IT'S BAD FOR YOU BECAUSE WE SAY SO.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 05:23:03 PM »
Smoking it is bad for your lungs. Says the guy with copd. And a believer in paraquat lung

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re:
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 07:55:43 PM »
Smoking it is bad for your lungs. Says the guy with copd. And a believer in paraquat lung

How convenient that you don't actually have to smoke it.  Even my non-using self knows that you can always use a vaporizer or even eat it.

I've read enough to believe that MJ has valid medical uses.  There's even Marinol, a THC pill.  There has been research that shows it's less effective than the actual plant.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 07:57:16 PM »
How convenient that you don't actually have to smoke it.  Even my non-using self knows that you can always use a vaporizer or even eat it.

I've read enough to believe that MJ has valid medical uses.  There's even Marinol, a THC pill.  There has been research that shows it's less effective than the actual plant.

i think the best way is the oils.  and extracting em is diy able
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 08:18:10 PM »
^^^ It is interesting you mention that.  Here in the Seattle area, there has been a recent uptick in the number of people exploding their houses trying to extract hash oil with flammable liquid solvents or butane.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 08:25:27 PM »
Isomizer. So easy a stoner can do it

• friends
Re:
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 08:28:43 PM »
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=261070830085

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re:
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 09:21:55 PM »
i think the best way is the oils.  and extracting em is diy able

Drill Baby Drill! Wait, what?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »
Sautee in cooking oil works fine...so I've heard.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 10:40:29 PM »
Sautee in cooking oil works fine...so I've heard.

saute is too high heat
maybe braize.
the isomizers worked great 40 years ago

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 02:18:09 AM »
^^^ It is interesting you mention that.  Here in the Seattle area, there has been a recent uptick in the number of people exploding their houses trying to extract hash oil with flammable liquid solvents or butane.

Everything has it's risks. I'm sure regular grease fires are still far more common. And then there's spontaneous human combustion.

I just like to stick with the whole argument that the gov't shouldn't control the stuff period.
In terms of recreational use, it's not anyone's business if they really want another crutch along with tobacco and beer.
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 06:08:57 PM »
It's pleasurable, and hard to tax when it can be grown anywhere, therefore illegal. How many other substances or plants are judged on medical benefit? :(
In 1968 the rock band Stepoenwolf (spell check won't let me spell it correctly) wrote "Don't step on the grass Sam". It's hard to believe we're still having this discussion nearly 50 years later.
They were right about one thing- it is a gateway drug- a gate for the government to enter your life and ruin it.
I'm not a smoker, and would prefer that my kids never smoke it, but I fear law enforcement involvement more than I fear the substance itself. I think most people feel the same way.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 06:31:44 PM by Lee »

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 09:36:14 PM »
Everything has it's risks. I'm sure regular grease fires are still far more common. And then there's spontaneous human combustion.

Agreed, but in general, grease fires don't (quite literally) blow up your house.  Most grease fires are manageable if you act correctly.  Explosions, not so much.   =)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy