Author Topic: do i need to be paranoid - yet  (Read 3519 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
do i need to be paranoid - yet
« on: March 31, 2014, 03:08:57 PM »
somebody just told me that new cell phones will not have batteries anymore.  no idea what they use tor power.

anybody know what's up?

(from my cellphone on the way to the bunker just in case)
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: do i need to be paranoid - yet
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 03:12:26 PM »
Perhaps they meant, they will not have removeable/replaceable batteries?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 03:18:44 PM »

Uhm. Electronics need a source of electrons to function. So... no, new cell phones will continue to have a power source, most likely to be a battery. Various cell phones do not have easily replaceable batteries. Any cell phone can have its battery replaced, even Apple devices, even without the consent or intent of its manufacturer. It's just a question of a) how easily and b) does it void the warranty.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 03:19:26 PM »
Perhaps they meant, they will not have removeable/replaceable batteries?

This.

My Droid Razr Maxx has a "non user replaceable battery", however with a few torx screws and carefully prying away lots of glue, and friction fit plastic snap-tabs, I can change my battery out and have, however it's not anything you can do easily in the field if you feel the need for some absolute OPSEC in the SIGINT sense.

So there's no way to be 100% sure it's not still "on" and "spying on you" either through audio, the camera, or GPS. Although putting it in a RFID proof mesh bag would be a good start.

However, that wouldn't protect you from audio spying that the phone saved and uploaded to No Such Agency or other hacktivists later on once you did get the phone back online.
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 03:26:57 PM »
somebody just told me that new cell phones will not have batteries anymore.  no idea what they use tor power.

anybody know what's up?

(from my cellphone on the way to the bunker just in case)

Speaking of paranoid, I note that Skid has posted a short, random, slightly incoherent OP sans capitalization. Skid and CSD are from a geographically similar area, and I've never seen a picture of the two of them together.

Theory: CSD is actually just a troll account that Skid runs, and he's finally slipped up after forgetting which account he was logged in to.

[tinfoil]

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 03:32:39 PM »
Speaking of paranoid, I note that Skid has posted a short, random, slightly incoherent OP sans capitalization. Skid and CSD are from a geographically similar area, and I've never seen a picture of the two of them together.

Theory: CSD is actually just a troll account that Skid runs, and he's finally slipped up after forgetting which account he was logged in to.

[tinfoil]

nope  i am much younger   well a lil younger   but much prettier
i think hes taller though
and i am not YET  as grumpy   but i am working on it
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 04:15:16 PM »
This.

My Droid Razr Maxx has a "non user replaceable battery", however with a few torx screws and carefully prying away lots of glue, and friction fit plastic snap-tabs, I can change my battery out and have, however it's not anything you can do easily in the field if you feel the need for some absolute OPSEC in the SIGINT sense.

So there's no way to be 100% sure it's not still "on" and "spying on you" either through audio, the camera, or GPS. Although putting it in a RFID proof mesh bag would be a good start.

However, that wouldn't protect you from audio spying that the phone saved and uploaded to No Such Agency or other hacktivists later on once you did get the phone back online.

We jokingly call them "battery out conversations". Battery goes out, phone and battery goes into a Faraday bag, which goes under a pillow.

http://www.faradaybag.com/products.html

A shielded, grounded and soundproofed Faraday box is more preferable, but more cumbersome and noticeable.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 04:25:05 PM »
We jokingly call them "battery out conversations". Battery goes out, phone and battery goes into a Faraday bag, which goes under a pillow.

http://www.faradaybag.com/products.html

A shielded, grounded and soundproofed Faraday box is more preferable, but more cumbersome and noticeable.

I just either leave the phone in the car and talk in the building or vise versa. And no, my vehicle does not have an onboard spying system such as Onstar or one of the other makes.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 04:35:29 PM »
If you are paranoid, it means that they have won.  [tinfoil]
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »
Not paranoid. Just cautious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 05:01:14 PM »
If you are paranoid, it means that they have won.  [tinfoil]

Uh, because they have?

The POTUS can send automated hunter-killer aircraft to put a missile through your kid's window because the NSA thinks you might talk to bad people. That has happened already. With any meaningful oversight and without any warrants, and it's considered legal. We're already rocking the dystopian Sci-Fi future, dude.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 05:16:22 PM »
Uh, because they have?

The POTUS can send automated hunter-killer aircraft to put a missile through your kid's window because the NSA thinks you might talk to bad people. That has happened already. With any meaningful oversight and without any warrants, and it's considered legal. We're already rocking the dystopian Sci-Fi future, dude.

That happened in the US?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »
That happened in the US?

Same question I have.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 05:29:41 PM »
That happened in the US?

Not yet (that is publicly acknowledged anyway) but the Justice Dept has said they'd be ok with it.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 05:42:59 PM »
Not yet (that is publicly acknowledged anyway) but the Justice Dept has said they'd be ok with it.

And the Stanford Prison experiments and the Milgram experiment have long ago proved 90%+ of the people will push the button when ordered to do so.
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 05:47:43 PM »
And the Stanford Prison experiments and the Milgram experiment have long ago proved 90%+ of the people will push the button when ordered to do so.

While I'm not saying I agree or disagree, this is what I think of every time those are referenced...

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 06:05:23 PM »
Agreed. The science "experiments" border on anecdotal. OTOH, as far as I know, they're all we have too.

Somebody find me the study where people were ethical, and the majority refused, or tried to aid the victims real or acting. Seriously. I want to know. I could use such heartwarming info. A study or experiment on authority, harm, compassion, empathy, and peer pressure etc. that doesn't align with the whole "Auschwitz tower guard" theme that's so prevalent throughout human history.

Also, there's a cost basis and risk basis that's well, 100%... everything, that you take on when you put your lives and the lives of your children, or things that are arguably even worse than death if you decide to just throw yourselves on the mercy of your fellow man, or the governments he devises.
I promise not to duck.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re:
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 06:31:07 PM »
Not paranoid. Just cautious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Not paranoid or cautious enough.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 06:33:31 PM »

I do not at all trust the Android tablet my son got me for Christmas, not to tattle on me.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 06:36:02 PM »
Agreed. The science "experiments" border on anecdotal. OTOH, as far as I know, they're all we have too.

Somebody find me the study where people were ethical, and the majority refused, or tried to aid the victims real or acting. Seriously. I want to know. I could use such heartwarming info. A study or experiment on authority, harm, compassion, empathy, and peer pressure etc. that doesn't align with the whole "Auschwitz tower guard" theme that's so prevalent throughout human history.

Also, there's a cost basis and risk basis that's well, 100%... everything, that you take on when you put your lives and the lives of your children, or things that are arguably even worse than death if you decide to just throw yourselves on the mercy of your fellow man, or the governments he devises.

Like I said, I think the conclusions those experiments drew are correct, it's just part of my ongoing war against calling things "science" that aren't. Which is about %90 of things called science at this point.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 08:04:29 PM »
And no, my vehicle does not have an onboard spying system such as Onstar or one of the other makes.

[that he knows of.....evil laugh....]
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 08:08:52 PM »
The initial post was sent while I was talking with some guy who was telling me about what the guy at the Radio Shack had told him, which, with much prodding, back-filling, and coaxing the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth - yes, all three at the same time - was that the guy at the Radio Shack had told him that pretty soon no cell phones would have batteries and because he (the guy known by the guy I was talking with) worked at the Radio Shach he (same paranthetical guy) ought to know.  (Yes, it's the gun shop counter guy syndrome.  Live with it.)

I had other places to see and people to do, and knew that if I did not post something right away I would forget about it by the time I got back home.  So that's why the initial post.

As for aspersions, accusations, and allegations that I and c&sd are one and the same, or that I run his account as a troll account, let me just say that the lack of veracity in any of those is only exceeded by my loss of faith in APSers at being so accused.  Unless c&sd looks like a 5'6" Santa Claus with shoulder-length white hair, a full beard, and  the facial expression and attitude of Walter

there is little chance he even remotely resembles me.

Having settled that, allow me to fill you in a bit on the claim so brazenly made:

I managed to talk with the guy at the Radio Shack and told him what the other guy said he (the guy at the Radio Shack) had said about cell phones soon having no batteries.  The guy at the Radio Shack told me that he had heard someone say that there was a way to get the cellphone tower antennae to send radio waves to cellphones, and that if they put RIFD-like chips in the phones they could be powered by the cellphone tower radio waves, just like hardwired phopnes are powered by the telephone wires.  The guy at the Radio Shack also told me that it would not happen until the whole country was covered by 4G networks so they (the cellphone companies, I'm guessing) could use wifi to power your phone without batteries in the phone.

I have read all the replies that have been posted.  Unfortunately, none of them address this wifi-powered RFID chip as the source of power.  Nor do they seem to address any alternative technology that might be employed to provide power via some 4G wifi network everybody will have some sday.  So I find myself back to the original question once more:

Do I need to be paranoid - yet?

stay safe.

edited for typo
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:14:15 PM by vaskidmark »
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 08:11:50 PM »
I generally carry my phone in left hip pocket. 

I hope the NSA has hours and hours of my flatulence recorded somewhere.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 08:14:15 PM »
obviously they are using the electrical impulses of our own nervous system to run the phone.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 08:15:36 PM »
obviously they are using the electrical impulses of our own nervous system to run the phone.

Aha!  So there is a way.  But will it work before everybody has wifi on a 4G network?

stay safe.