Author Topic: Car guys - Advice needed  (Read 2852 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Car guys - Advice needed
« on: April 28, 2014, 09:18:14 PM »
I'm considering some kinda toy.

I've owned some old F bodies, and old vette, some other stuff. I can do some engine work, i've rebuilt TBs, etc. Not so good with interiors.

I am considering building a T-bucket. Specifically, the four seater roadster from wintec. plan was to get the frame/suspension kit from them, source as many other parts used as I can.

Anyone ever do one of these kinds of projects? I don't mind it taking a long time. Hell, that's part of the appeal.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Car guys - Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:20:24 PM »
Make ure getting a kit car registered in your state/city isn't a living nightmare first.
Other than that, go for it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 09:26:39 PM »
From what I can see, TX isn't all that bad. They passed a bill supported by SEMA that allows for street rods to be titled as the car they're supposed to be based on, allowing (from how I can read it) me to title a kit frame with an MSO as a 23 model T.

Of course, it'll have the usual restrictions if i register it as an antique. Only drive for events and "occasional pleasure driving," etc.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 09:36:08 PM »
Two nephews of my brother's best friend started a replica-body street rod project some years ago. Their uncle (my brother's friend) was a shop foreman and service manager for a major brand dealership, plus he built and raced his own stock car and restored antiques on the side. So, even though these guys (who were in their late 20s at the time) had grown up around cars and were very capable wrenches in their own right, they (naturally) had everything delivered to Uncle Joe's garage.

They tinkered with it for probably three or four years. Finally, both were offered and accepted jobs in other states, and they moved on. The older brother bought out the younger brother, he had the whole mess shipped to a professional shop in his new home state, and he paid big bux to get it finished.

It can be done, but it's not for the faint of heart and it will require massive infusions of time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 09:41:19 PM »
Have you considered a motorcycle? Cheaper, less space needed, you don't need a lift or engine stand, even a nonfunctional motorcycle can be moved about, etc.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 09:41:35 PM »
Yeah. Anotehr option i'm looking into is buying someone else's bucket (with one of the frames that this wintec body is supposed to fit on) and doing the work to make it a four seater by mounting the wintec body. Save me a lot of time, but also cost me a good amount of change.

I really could just do another cheap F-body or vette (ended up on top when i sold the last few), but I'm really liking the idea of a roadster to go to car shows in.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 09:45:09 PM »
I still have a '57 Tbird kit car sitting here growing weeds if someone wanted a cheap (to start maybe not finish) project.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 09:45:25 PM »
Have you considered a motorcycle? Cheaper, less space needed, you don't need a lift or engine stand, even a nonfunctional motorcycle can be moved about, etc.

Got one ;-)
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »
Hotrods don't have a fashion appeal to me. If I did a car project it would be some kind of hackerific engine swap or electric conversion or something.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 09:49:49 PM »
Something like this:

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 10:14:51 PM »
i need something to move lawnmowers and snow blowers

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 10:29:02 PM »
Might be cheaper to find an older rod that needs some TLC or a new engine and build yours from it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23-t-bucket-/360918562725?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item54086c37a5&vxp=mtr
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 12:45:59 AM »

Gosh that's awesome

Friend of mine has a cheapie firebird formula that i'm interested in. 2200 bucks... runs. 5.0 TPI with a spare 5.7 TPI he never got around to rebuilding/installing. Could be fun!
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 01:11:28 AM »
From what I can see, TX isn't all that bad. They passed a bill supported by SEMA that allows for street rods to be titled as the car they're supposed to be based on, allowing (from how I can read it) me to title a kit frame with an MSO as a 23 model T.

Wouldn't you need to add fenders and/or a full width front bumper ahead of the wheels for it to be street legal, or is there some way around that?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 01:20:29 AM »
I suspect, but don't know for a fact, that rebuilding a rusted junker is more of a project than building a kit or semi-kit car. Whatever.

Here's something to consider, though. When I was looking for Jag E-Types, the #1 Jaguar in the country (from all of the concourse shows that year) was for sale for $18,500. That was a lot of money at that time. I bought the rust bucket for $5000, and put about $12,000 into parts and materials, and over 2,000 hours of my time. If I'd gotten a part time job at McDonalds, I could have taken out a loan for the #1 car and paid it off in a couple of years.

My point is to ask if you want the car or if you want the experience of building one. Two different things. When I sold the Jag, I felt no emotions, as it was the accomplishment I wanted, and not so much the car at that point.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 01:40:18 AM »
I suspect, but don't know for a fact, that rebuilding a rusted junker is more of a project than building a kit or semi-kit car. Whatever.

Here's something to consider, though. When I was looking for Jag E-Types, the #1 Jaguar in the country (from all of the concourse shows that year) was for sale for $18,500. That was a lot of money at that time. I bought the rust bucket for $5000, and put about $12,000 into parts and materials, and over 2,000 hours of my time. If I'd gotten a part time job at McDonalds, I could have taken out a loan for the #1 car and paid it off in a couple of years.

My point is to ask if you want the car or if you want the experience of building one. Two different things. When I sold the Jag, I felt no emotions, as it was the accomplishment I wanted, and not so much the car at that point.

I could get satisfaction out of building a kit, or fixing up the junker, I think. If i just wanted a fast car, I'd go buy the mustang I test drove today.

Side note: technology isn't always great. The newer 5.0 mustangs are over 400HP, but feel so refined that it's almost BORING

The idea of building a t bucket from a kit and doing as much as possible myself really appeals to me, though. Particularly if it becomes something that I can take the fam to car shows in.

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 01:41:45 AM »
Wouldn't you need to add fenders and/or a full width front bumper ahead of the wheels for it to be street legal, or is there some way around that?

From what I understand, not if it's titled as a street rod or custom. That comes into play with the state inspection, which are not required for these kind of cars.

Of course, if you have a vehicle with that exemption, there are driving limits. To/from events, "occasional" pleasure driving, etc. Couldn't just take it to work on the regular.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 08:17:09 AM »
i want something modular and serviceable
a full on the ground Rat Rod seems so styled as to be incapable of rolling over a speed hump

an ipod touch as the central cpu would be a bonus

the new classic stamped bodies are fabulous
http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/gm_models2.html
http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/ford_models2.html

but as seen above, buying someone else's labor is a savings...

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 08:26:06 AM »
Myself, I think you should go for a more practical and cost effective hobby.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 08:29:50 AM »

the tires on that "truck" don't add up.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 08:30:26 AM »
Side note: technology isn't always great. The newer 5.0 mustangs are over 400HP, but feel so refined that it's almost BORING

Yep, nothing like being almost tossed in the back seat when the secondary kicks in on the carburetor.  

Uranus is a gas giant.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 08:47:40 AM »
Yep, nothing like being almost tossed in the back seat when the secondary kicks in on the carburetor.  

They're not fuel-injected???

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 09:23:13 AM »
They're not fuel-injected???

jb

Mustangs yes, old cars no. I was referring to carbureted engines, not fuel injected ones.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 10:34:03 AM »

With wide low profile sticky tires and racing suspension, mine doesn't feel refined at all. I love the way it feels as much as I did my '65 GTO.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 01:53:38 PM »
Myself, I think you should go for a more practical and cost effective hobby.

Uh.... boats are money pits as much, if not more, than cars are
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog