Author Topic: xkcd, I am disappoint  (Read 18213 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: xkcd, I am disappoint
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 11:47:08 PM »
EU did this and magically product packaging got a lot smaller and simpler.

Why do you think non regulated packaging is the size and type it is now? Using more costs more, so if there was not a loss of functionality then companies would be doing it already.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 12:40:46 AM »
Most large or oversized packaging is as a shoplifting deterrent.

Thorium reactors would be better.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:11:20 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 08:07:19 AM »
Why do you think non regulated packaging is the size and type it is now? Using more costs more, so if there was not a loss of functionality then companies would be doing it already.

Perhaps its cheaper for the company to produce at that time, but what about the disposal costs as the package is passed onto the consumer? Last time I checked the packaging didn't magically disappear when I was done with it. Sometimes the package is recyclable, such as cardboard, glass and certain packages, many times it unable to be recycled so it is sent to a landfill or burnt in an incinerator (sometimes generating electricity). Maybe a few extra pennies on the part of the producer, which is passed on to the consumer will save $$ in the long run.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »
Amazon seems to be doing okay with "frustration free" packaging. It seems like a win-win for company and consumer. I could be wrong, but I find it hard to believe a ginormous plastic package that cuts the hell out of my hands is cheaper to create than a small cardboard box or envelope. I do understand that this is harder to do in brick and mortar stores due to damn thieves.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 10:05:09 AM »
Amazon seems to be doing okay with "frustration free" packaging. It seems like a win-win for company and consumer. I could be wrong, but I find it hard to believe a ginormous plastic package that cuts the hell out of my hands is cheaper to create than a small cardboard box or envelope. I do understand that this is harder to do in brick and mortar stores due to damn thieves.

This, and I do hope there's a special hell for companies that take an item that would ship just fine in a padded CD mailer, stick it in a cubic foot of foam and then stuff it all down into a Flat Rate Medium box.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2014, 11:09:14 AM »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2014, 11:16:58 PM »
This, and I do hope there's a special hell for companies that take an item that would ship just fine in a padded CD mailer, stick it in a cubic foot of foam and then stuff it all down into a Flat Rate Medium box.

I recently experimented with ordering dog food from Amazon Prime.  Got 2 40# bags.  Each bag was in it's own oversized cardboard box, and padded with a generous amount of bubble wrap!

I really have to give our UPS guy props.  Same guy, most of the time.  Always smiling and friendly, even with the weird parcels we tend to get.

Bubble-wrapped 40# bags of dog food!!!   :O
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2014, 11:28:40 PM »
I recently experimented with ordering dog food from Amazon Prime.  Got 2 40# bags.  Each bag was in it's own oversized cardboard box, and padded with a generous amount of bubble wrap!

I really have to give our UPS guy props.  Same guy, most of the time.  Always smiling and friendly, even with the weird parcels we tend to get.

Bubble-wrapped 40# bags of dog food!!!   :O

Interesting, ours always came in a box stuffed with that brown shipping paper.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2014, 11:33:41 PM »
Why would Amazon need anti-shoplifting packaging?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 11:36:14 PM »
Why would Amazon need anti-shoplifting packaging?

There are lots of different types of packaging, many of which have nothing to do with shoplifting.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2014, 11:45:14 PM »
Perhaps its cheaper for the company to produce at that time, but what about the disposal costs as the package is passed onto the consumer? Last time I checked the packaging didn't magically disappear when I was done with it. Sometimes the package is recyclable, such as cardboard, glass and certain packages, many times it unable to be recycled so it is sent to a landfill or burnt in an incinerator (sometimes generating electricity). Maybe a few extra pennies on the part of the producer, which is passed on to the consumer will save $$ in the long run.

I guess I can't figure out why the packaging on a sold item is (or ought to be) the responsibility of the manufacturer or vendor. Is it not, in most cases, sold along with the item? I've read that there are manufacturers that arrange for their distributors to return used shipping containers, but that is their choice.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2014, 07:13:33 AM »
Like kegs
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2014, 08:11:30 AM »

I guess I can't figure out why the packaging on a sold item is (or ought to be) the responsibility of the manufacturer or vendor. Is it not, in most cases, sold along with the item? I've read that there are manufacturers that arrange for their distributors to return used shipping containers, but that is their choice.

Because the manufacturer made the choice to make a large package for a small item. Look at items like flash drives, compared to the size of the item the package is freaking huge and usually made of out non recyclable plastic.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2014, 09:36:26 AM »
There are lots of different types of packaging, many of which have nothing to do with shoplifting.

You mean like the snapped clamshells; the ones that are ginormous compared to the product, as if to prevent shoplifting, but snapped instead of welded at the edges so you can just slip the product out and reclose the package?

How about the utterly pointless blister packs with cheap glue so the product and plastic are laying in the floor in front of a peg of undamaged cardboard sheets?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2014, 11:09:45 AM »
^^^ There have been articles in the emergency medicine literature about ER visits caused by those clamshell packs.  Usually two types of injuries: hand lacerations from the sharp edges of the cut or torn plastic, and knife cuts and stabs caused by slipping when trying to open the packages with a knife.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2014, 11:35:17 AM »
Because the manufacturer made the choice to make a large package for a small item. Look at items like flash drives, compared to the size of the item the package is freaking huge and usually made of out non recyclable plastic.

Sounds like we need to fire up the SWAT teams, then. How dare those selfish sons of bitches make decisions about how to package their goods without consulting the fed.gov!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2014, 12:09:48 PM »

Flash drives bug me anyway:
What's necessary (and doesn't end up bent from sticking way out of the port on a laptop or car stereo)

What they keep doing:

If I need it bigger for some reason, I'm perfectly capable of JB Welding some random crap onto the little one.  Then I can have a flash drive as impractical as this:

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2014, 12:29:19 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/SE-HQ93-Stainless-Funnel-Flasks/dp/B000MEMLGA/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1402503498&sr=1-3

Twin size, made of cotton, programmable, with auto shut off.  Includes a wire whip and a flat beater.  An excellent example of how crappy Amazon's proofreading is.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2014, 12:43:03 PM »
Flash drives bug me anyway:
What's necessary (and doesn't end up bent from sticking way out of the port on a laptop or car stereo)

What they keep doing:

If I need it bigger for some reason, I'm perfectly capable of JB Welding some random crap onto the little one.  Then I can have a flash drive as impractical as this:

I have one of those little Sandisk ones, in 64GB (aux storage for my Nexus 7 tablet, used with an OTA cable - unfortunately, it won't just plug in). I like it. Attached a little lanyard to it, to make it easier to remove on the rare occasions I plug it into the PC. I ought to get a few more.

I also have a 128GB full-sized flash drive - also Sandisk, looking at it - which I use as a backup for my work files. Windows XP and 7 computers see that drive as an installed drive, not removable storage.

Neither was terribly expensive, though I *DID* get the big drive on a pretty good sale 3-4 months ago. But it's now at that sale price as the regular price, IIRC. The little 64GB drive pricing is about... 2/3 of where I bought it, 4-5 months ago? Got the tablet in late December, drive probably >1 month later, so it would have been January for that.

Both came in packages far larger than necessary.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2014, 12:53:36 PM »
To contribute to thread veer. :P

I actually like a larger USB for some things. I always carried a larger ruggedized one at work because it was easy to handle, easy to find in my ruck in the field, and harder to lose falling out of my pocket when I pulled out keys or whatever. I do like the smallest possible to stick in my vehicle audio system, or when running something like Linux on a Stick, where it stays plugged into a laptop.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2014, 12:54:17 PM »

I know... I have one on my keychain that is so small, I keep forgetting that I even have it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama