Author Topic: xkcd, I am disappoint  (Read 18215 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: xkcd, I am disappoint
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 01:05:16 PM »
To contribute to thread veer. :P

I actually like a larger USB for some things. I always carried a larger ruggedized one at work because it was easy to handle, easy to find in my ruck in the field, and harder to lose falling out of my pocket when I pulled out keys or whatever. I do like the smallest possible to stick in my vehicle audio system, or when running something like Linux on a Stick, where it stays plugged into a laptop.

If you don't want to just JB weld some crap on the end of your products to make them usable you're wrong, apparently.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 01:15:29 PM »
Sounds like we need to fire up the SWAT teams, then. How dare those selfish sons of bitches make decisions about how to package their goods without consulting the fed.gov!

No but perhaps offer some financial incentives to convince them to change their practices. Pay a little now for the incentive instead of more money for the disposal costs.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
I actually like a larger USB for some things. I always carried a larger ruggedized one at work because it was easy to handle, easy to find in my ruck in the field, and harder to lose falling out of my pocket when I pulled out keys or whatever.

Even the micro-sized ones have a lanyard hole.  Run a bit of wire through it and you can hang it on something big. 

If you don't want to just JB weld some crap on the end of your products to make them usable you're wrong, apparently.

That should be intuitively obvious.

Here we go; the next generation of USB drive, optimized for weight, size and convenient connector placement.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2014, 01:53:23 PM »
Even the micro-sized ones have a lanyard hole.  Run a bit of wire through it and you can hang it on something big. 

But now it won't fit in my pocket...

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2014, 05:50:21 PM »
No but perhaps offer some financial incentives to convince them to change their practices. Pay a little now for the incentive instead of more money for the disposal costs.

As I look out west, I see puh-lenty of space for dumps.  Disposal costs may be significant in highly-dense areas a long ways form open country, but there is a LOT of open space out there.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2014, 10:51:09 PM »
As I look out west, I see puh-lenty of space for dumps.  Disposal costs may be significant in highly-dense areas a long ways form open country, but there is a LOT of open space out there.

I really hope you are kidding.

Uranus is a gas giant.

roo_ster

• friend
Re: Re: Re: xkcd, I am disappoint
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2014, 10:57:59 PM »
I really hope you are kidding.

Reality is what it is and does not care about our particular hangups.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2014, 11:27:15 PM »
As I look out west, I see puh-lenty of space for dumps.  Disposal costs may be significant in highly-dense areas a long ways form open country, but there is a LOT of open space out there.

Much of the solid waste from the Puget Sound area is shipped by railroad 275 miles to a massive landfill in eastern Oregon.  The jobs, taxes and fees from the landfill have rejuvenated the local area (Arlington, Oregon), which was slowly dying as kids left the farms looking for jobs.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2014, 12:01:40 AM »

Because the manufacturer made the choice to make a large package for a small item. Look at items like flash drives, compared to the size of the item the package is freaking huge and usually made of out non recyclable plastic.

Am I understanding you correctly? You want our broke, spend-thrift government to start paying businesses, to keep Joe Blow from throwing so much of Joe Blow's property into a landfill? 

You see a lot of consumers throwing out packaging trash, and you want to solve the problem by paying businesses that are not the least bit responsible for it?

Hey, if you want me to recycle, or whatever, why not pay me for it?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:28:40 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2014, 12:08:39 AM »
^^^ I get a $ 5 credit every month on my garbage bill for recycling.  Waste Management issues the customers a large blue bin on wheels for paper, cardboard, cans, bottles and recyclable plastic.  It is picked up every two weeks.  The bin contents are taken to a giant sorting station where the recycled products are sorted, squished or shredded and then sold as commodity feedstocks for other packaging products.

I got to tour the sorting station once, where the tour guide made an impassioned plea to please not put hazardous materials or regular garbage into the recycle bins.  It costs them a lot to have that hauled away and put into the regular garbage or hazmat disposal sites.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2014, 08:10:13 AM »

Am I understanding you correctly? You want our broke, spend-thrift government to start paying businesses, to keep Joe Blow from throwing so much of Joe Blow's property into a landfill? 

You see a lot of consumers throwing out packaging trash, and you want to solve the problem by paying businesses that are not the least bit responsible for it?

Hey, if you want me to recycle, or whatever, why not pay me for it?

The trash stream starts somewhere and its not with Joe Blow.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2014, 11:18:15 AM »
http://xkcd.com/1382/

Hover over: "I want my jetpack [and also my free medical care covering all my jetpack-related injuries]!"

It's the future!  Where's my free medical care dang it?!

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2014, 11:45:55 AM »
Much of the solid waste from the Puget Sound area is shipped by railroad 275 miles to a massive landfill in eastern Oregon.  The jobs, taxes and fees from the landfill have rejuvenated the local area (Arlington, Oregon), which was slowly dying as kids left the farms looking for jobs.

Makes sense:

FTR, I am not in the, "create EVEN MORE waste to stimulate the economy" camp. 

I figure manuf and retailers come to some sort of arrangement amicable to both that takes into account transport costs, need to protect the merch, theft-prevention, display space, and such.  Would not a 6' long package prevent shoplifting even more than the current standard for packaging, say, SD cards?  But we do not see 6' long packages for SD cards.  Probably due to the transpo costs (to all) and opportunity costs (to the merchant) would then outweigh the gains from decreased theft.

I see no need for gov't to insert its clumsy and very visible foot into the decision-making process.  Another, better, means to influence packaging is consumer input.  Communicate to the retailer and manuf your desire for less packaging.  If such influence outweighs the benefit of clunky packaging, I bet we will see a change.

Most the SD & micro SD cards I buy come with minimal packaging, as I buy them at the register at Microcenter.  They have only packaging enough to protect the card from harm and are stored in bitty bins next to the register.  The few high-$$$ SD cards I buy do come in the larger packaging, though.  Higher quality or performance (and thus price) makes it worth while to include a quarter square foot of tough plastic packaging.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2014, 12:18:36 PM »
The few high-$$$ SD cards I buy do come in the larger packaging, though.  Higher quality or performance (and thus price) makes it worth while to include a quarter square foot of tough plastic packaging.

Not really; with smaller packaging, it would be easier to put them in a lockable cabinet, which is much more of a shoplifting deterrent than the big welded clamshell.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2014, 12:22:13 PM »
Makes sense:

FTR, I am not in the, "create EVEN MORE waste to stimulate the economy" camp. 

How would you feel if you were a neighbor to a new landfill for trash from a far away city. All the dust from digging the hole and the heavy equipment used to process the trash, and the trucks bringing in the trash.

Uranus is a gas giant.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2014, 12:22:54 PM »
Not really; with smaller packaging, it would be easier to put them in a lockable cabinet, which is much more of a shoplifting deterrent than the big welded clamshell.

When retailers do that they tend to lose customers like me to online stores.  When I go into a store I have a pretty good idea what I want and do not track down a sales drone to unlock a cabinet and then get pitched on an extended warranty.  

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2014, 12:30:29 PM »
When retailers do that they tend to lose customers like me to online stores.  When I go into a store I have a pretty good idea what I want and do not track down a sales drone to unlock a cabinet and then get pitched on an extended warranty.

That's easily solved by putting the cabinets where the people with the keys are.  It doesn't have to be WalMart style where the flash drive cabinet is at the far side of electronics from the register.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »

This.  

Especially when "this is not the drone you are looking for."  THAT drone has the keys and is on his break.  And the manager with a key is busy helping some princess who wants to return her doo-dad after she opened it and her cat urinated all over it.  Right about now, I am thinking, "Why didn't I just buy it off Amazon?"

That's easily solved by putting the cabinets where the people with the keys are.  It doesn't have to be WalMart style where the flash drive cabinet is at the far side of electronics from the register.

Then the cabinets would be in the employee break room half the time or in the rest room where the Master of the Keys is grunting out a loaf.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2014, 12:43:14 PM »
Then the cabinets would be in the employee break room half the time or in the rest room where the Master of the Keys is grunting out a loaf.

Simple solution yet again; chain the keys to the cabinet.

Sure, you can also chain the whole mess to an employee, but frankly, most retail customers are more trustworthy than most retail employees anyway.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2014, 06:34:15 PM »
The trash stream starts somewhere and its not with Joe Blow.

That is a stupid answer. Joe Blow bought the trash. It belongs to him.

Your approach makes about as much sense as subsidizing restaurants that serve healthier food.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2014, 06:47:30 PM »

That is a stupid answer. Joe Blow bought the trash. It belongs to him.

Your approach makes about as much sense as subsidizing restaurants that serve healthier food.

How is it stupid when Joe Blow has no choice in the amount of waste a product he desires or needs from the packaging is produced by someone else?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2014, 06:54:58 PM »
How is it stupid when Joe Blow has no choice in the amount of waste a product he desires or needs from the packaging is produced by someone else?

As has been stated by others, Joe Blow has plenty of choices. He can buy from a place that doesn't use the large packaging because they keep the items behind the counter, or he can buy online, or he could not buy at all and let it be known why.

As far as living in a community that receives garbage from elsewhere, I live in one right now. Our dump takes waste from the Portland metro area. Aside from a somewhat funky smell near the dump location, it really isn't that big of a problem.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2014, 06:58:46 PM »
As has been stated by others, Joe Blow has plenty of choices. He can buy from a place that doesn't use the large packaging because they keep the items behind the counter, or he can buy online, or he could not buy at all and let it be known why.

Not really, certain products (such as flash drives) are only made by a few companies and they control how large the packages are the product is placed in.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2014, 07:15:30 PM »
Not really, certain products (such as flash drives) are only made by a few companies and they control how large the packages are the product is placed in.

Funny, because I've seen packaging ranging from minimal all the way to huge for the same freaking drive depending on location. Just go look at the flash drives as sold by Walmart vs. the ones sold at Costco. Seems the retailer has more control over it. So Joe Blow still has plenty of options.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2014, 07:26:53 PM »
Funny, because I've seen packaging ranging from minimal all the way to huge for the same freaking drive depending on location. Just go look at the flash drives as sold by Walmart vs. the ones sold at Costco. Seems the retailer has more control over it. So Joe Blow still has plenty of options.

I live in a city of 50k, no Costco, got a Sam's but no money savings there. Long story short, all the retail stores in the town have the same products in the same sized boxes. Look at other things like kitchen knives, cookware sets, food even comes in big packages for small amount of product, such as pasta salads in a box.

Uranus is a gas giant.