Author Topic: "Drastic action" required to stop ebola epidemic  (Read 6805 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: "Drastic action" required to stop ebola epidemic
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 07:17:17 PM »
"A medical transport plane departed the US Thursday afternoon, headed to Liberia to pick up an American Ebola patient."
From : http://www.11alive.com/story/news/health/2014/07/31/emory-university-hospital-ebola-patient/13429519/

I wonder if that plane won't land at Ft. Detrick instead.  Everyone has a smallpox vaccine now......

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 07:18:48 PM »
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-27/second-us-citizen-infected-ebola-liberia

"What is most disturbing is that the two physicians have contracted the lethal disease despite apparently taking much needed precations to avoid infection as the following photos below demonstrate"
Ebola has always burnt itself out pretty quickly, but not here. And it seems to be spreading more than it usually does.

I have to wonder, even though apparently not airborne or anything, it isn't a new strain that is a little more infectious. Or if it's just a perfect *expletive deleted*it storm.

Or, Ebola is a cover. And it's zombies. And the CDC wants to be able to study a couple  [tinfoil]
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 07:32:23 PM »
I can't even more than begin to imagine how the patients in the African hospital would feel when they see the white American woman being transported back to the States on a special flight.

I'm just trying to put myself(a little bit) into the shoes of a desperate,pathetic,dying Liberian person.Nope,can't do it.The abject fear that this disease makes me feel makes compassion just fly out the window.Kill it with fire.And then salt the earth.

I think the last Ebola outbreak was a headline for just a few weeks.

This one's been simmering for a few months.
jeff w

I like onions!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 11:41:30 PM »
All we need is for a few infected individuals to be slipped into the tidal wave coming across the southern boarder.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

erictank

• friends
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 09:00:38 AM »
Some of the early cases in this outbreak were Drs and nurses who were wearing full protective gear, something might be different this time- different in a very bad way.
Yep. However, I heard there's a case where a man who was infected, got on an airliner and flew into Lagos, infecting at least dozens of people on the way, and probably more in Lagos as well when he finally crashed out there.
21 million people packed into that city.

The American (IIRC) doctor who just died of Ebola was reportedly near-manic about proper PPE, considered extraordinarily unlikely to have deliberately or inadvertantly screwed up and gotten exposed. Airborne exposure is being looked at as a possibility.

Not saying he didn't screw up. But they really don't think he did.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 09:34:29 AM »
The American (IIRC) doctor who just died of Ebola was reportedly near-manic about proper PPE, considered extraordinarily unlikely to have deliberately or inadvertantly screwed up and gotten exposed. Airborne exposure is being looked at as a possibility.

Not saying he didn't screw up. But they really don't think he did.

He didn't screw up with standard hospital gear, (i.e. mask, gloves, eyeshields, paper smock) simply operating in Africa that's a huge handicap. They do not have the niceties of basic plumbing, and tile/concrete/vinyl/linoleum floors that can be bleached and washed properly, or Ethylene Oxide autoclave systems./ Nor does he have the luxury of first-world educated staff alongside him. They screw up, re-use gear, forget themselves and pick their nose, and they touch him, sit next to him, or contaminate some surface once they've left the patient area, and perhaps that's how he caught it.

Nothing is going to happen in America with the patients transferred in the plastic tents, and everyone wearing full suits, and kept in negative pressure rooms with ozone/UV air handling systems, and high level CDC/USAMRID type protocols.

The regular old Flu kills hundreds, thousands times more people every year. (And it's mutating every year, randomly throwing the dice at getting more virulent and deadly each time...) People, even relatively hard-nosed logical ones suddenly lack a sense of scale and an understanding of statistics and orders of magnitude when they get emotionally invested.

Also, the risk/reward ratio of getting to understand and study Ebola further in a first world setting with the best tools has to be weighed in as well.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:40:19 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 10:07:03 AM »
Part in bold is factually incorrect. They weren't even able to follow standard Western sanitation procedures like one time use of supplies, they were washing and reusing gloves etc. Full MOPP gear, in a rural African clinic? You're so funny.

Still, drastically more sanitation than is practiced by the average American...or did I fail to notice Chemturion suits taking over the latest fashion trends?  Our hospitals are more careful, but if something like this made it out into the general population, it could spread far and fast.

Things that shouldn't survive in a first-world country still do all the time, because people get lax about basic hygiene and food safety.  Look at salmonella and e. coli; those should be a non-issue, but outbreaks keep popping up from contaminated food.  Imagine what one ebola-infected lettuce picker or cheese slicer at a plant with nationwide distribution could cause.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 10:29:35 AM »
Still, drastically more sanitation than is practiced by the average American...or did I fail to notice Chemturion suits taking over the latest fashion trends?  Our hospitals are more careful, but if something like this made it out into the general population, it could spread far and fast.

Things that shouldn't survive in a first-world country still do all the time, because people get lax about basic hygiene and food safety.  Look at salmonella and e. coli; those should be a non-issue, but outbreaks keep popping up from contaminated food.  Imagine what one ebola-infected lettuce picker or cheese slicer at a plant with nationwide distribution could cause.

Just think about (if you're a guy) how many penises you touch by proxy every time you use the door knob when exiting a public bathroom. Think about what other diseases might be there. Or the shopping carts at the grocery store, or...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 12:13:38 PM »
Nothing is going to happen in America with the patients transferred in the plastic tents, and everyone wearing full suits, and kept in negative pressure rooms with ozone/UV air handling systems, and high level CDC/USAMRID type protocols.

Nothing is going to happen- until something does.
Why not fly some sort of mobile hospital/laboratory unit over to africa to study the disease? That would give use a few thousand miles of ocean as containment. For that matter, there is an American run Lassa Fever facility in Sierra Leone, though its under attack by pissed off natives as there are reports that the outbreak started in that area.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 12:47:51 PM »
Just think about (if you're a guy) how many penises you touch by proxy every time you use the door knob when exiting a public bathroom. Think about what other diseases might be there. Or the shopping carts at the grocery store, or...

I work in a fracking academic medical school/hospital complex, and the level of restroom hygiene, or lack tereof, is sometimes shocking.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: "Drastic action" required to stop ebola epidemic
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 01:35:28 PM »
Screw door knobs. Keep that in mind next time you're picking out some peaches.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 01:47:25 PM »
Screw door knobs.

No thanks.  If you can fit in the keyhole, I don't want to know.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
Screw door knobs. Keep that in mind next time you're picking out some peaches.

No the sample bowl of chips at the grocery store.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2014, 02:09:19 PM »
Hospital acquired infections;

http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/surveillance/index.html

and we know how to prevent these also. Granted, some may be transmitted before the infection is known, but not all of them.

It will take extraordinary precautions and total compliance to infection control protocols once these patients get back to the US. I have some faith, but not much. The longer the patients live before cure or death, the higher the chance of ebola getting loose in Atlanta.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2014, 02:41:27 PM »
The regular old Flu kills hundreds, thousands times more people every year. (And it's mutating every year, randomly throwing the dice at getting more virulent and deadly each time...) People, even relatively hard-nosed logical ones suddenly lack a sense of scale and an understanding of statistics and orders of magnitude when they get emotionally invested.

Look at the near panic over  the Anthrax infections a few years ago.

Imagine if a few infected people got into the illegal immigrant refugee facilities.  Our enemies have no problem blowng themselves to kingdom come, not too much of a stretch to see extremists willing to infect themselves with something like Ebola and try to spread it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2014, 04:03:36 PM »
Imagine if a few infected people got into the illegal immigrant refugee facilities.  Our enemies have no problem blowng themselves to kingdom come, not too much of a stretch to see extremists willing to infect themselves with something like Ebola and try to spread it.

Now going the other way is something that would have made the Bergdahl trade less idiotic.  I wonder how many that would ultimately have taken out.

Of course, we'd have to find some volunteers with nothing to lose to make the trade; having all the troops show up in Racal suits would be a little too obvious...but for an opportunity like that, some might just jump at the chance to be a martyr.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2014, 04:15:38 PM »
Now going the other way is something that would have made the Bergdahl trade less idiotic.  I wonder how many that would ultimately have taken out.

Of course, we'd have to find some volunteers with nothing to lose to make the trade; having all the troops show up in Racal suits would be a little too obvious...but for an opportunity like that, some might just jump at the chance to be a martyr.

Nah, just do it with something that we have a vaccine for, and is rare enough said vaccine would be hard to find in a -stan. 

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2014, 04:23:05 PM »
Nah, just do it with something that we have a vaccine for, and is rare enough said vaccine would be hard to find in a -stan.

You have to admit, though, that ebola's mechanism is particularly demoralizing to the ones who get to watch it and realize it's already too late for them.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2014, 04:35:11 PM »
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-27/second-us-citizen-infected-ebola-liberia

"What is most disturbing is that the two physicians have contracted the lethal disease despite apparently taking much needed precations to avoid infection as the following photos below demonstrate"

Not the first time Zero Hedge has been shall we say over-enthusiastic about the end of the world
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2014, 05:13:56 PM »
Heretic!
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2014, 06:39:49 PM »
Not the first time Zero Hedge has been shall we say over-enthusiastic about the end of the world
Or 48-72 hours ahead if the mainstream media...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2014, 07:24:28 PM »
Some good info here from an acquaintance of mine that is an Army scientist

http://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/recent-ebola-outbreakepidemic/
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2014, 07:42:41 PM »

http://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/recent-ebola-outbreakepidemic/

Thanks.  I passed that one on.

I also liked the last sentence: "Everyday men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?"
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »

The post coalesces what several news articles were piecing together.Kills fewer,started in coastal West Africa instead of the armpit,hasn't burnt out after six months,is coming to America (LIVE!),and is believed to be airborne in at least a couple of cases.

Oh yeah,and it's being imported here.On purpose.I'd of thought that the CDC would have had a fully stocked mobile hospital that was air transportable.IOWs,they could study it OVER THERE and only need to send the data back here.

Why do they never ask me?I don't get it?
jeff w

I like onions!