Author Topic: The Best Pizzas in America  (Read 11835 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: The Best Pizzas in America
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2014, 06:12:35 PM »
Did I mention that the worst pizza I've ever had was in California?

Yes, I'm sure I did ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2014, 07:45:36 PM »
Going out for some pizza. You losers want an AAR?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2014, 08:09:45 PM »
Falcos, Home Run Inn, Rosati's and L&F Pizza down the street from me for thin crust; here just a mile from Cook County.

In Chicagoland we eat way more thin crust than deep dish as a general rule. maybe better than 10 to 1. For most it is an occasional event.

Chicago style deep dish? Pizzeria Uno or Due's downtown, Gino's on Rush St downtown was a favorite for years before they moved but mostly I eat Lou Malnati's for my deep dish these days. Lou's is the best deep dish that is near my house.

You guys never heard the term Pizza Pie? I love cracker crust thin crust pizza but nothing about them are reminiscent of a pie. I've had decent New York style pizza in Florida. I don't really care for floppy crusts though.

A very good friend of mine has a wood burning pizza oven he pulls behind his pick up truck. He makes pizza at events all over the burbs. Not very Chicago style but very very good. His duck and caramelized onion pizza is amazing.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:13:24 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2014, 08:57:23 PM »
I've had pizza at Uno's and was not really impressed.  It's kind of like what Minnesotans call "hotdish", but breadier and more Italian-y.  Maybe an Italian hotdish sandwich.  Not bad, but not something you'd drive 5 hours to eat.
"It's good, though..."

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2014, 09:02:25 PM »
Worst pizza I ever had was in Milan Italy.  It was called "The Four Seasons".  Consisted of a flat crust doused in olive oil and brick oven fired and garnished with 4 olives strategically located at four points of the compass.  My host, who had spend 6 weeks in the US, opined the US has pizza down right.  Italy, not so much.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2014, 11:30:04 PM »
"You guys never heard the term Pizza Pie?"

Yep, in a song. When the moon, hits your eye, like a big, pizza pie....

"Giordano's..."

I THINK that might have been the place I went with my friends. The flavor was good, but hell, it was like eating a freaking loaf of bread.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2014, 12:50:30 AM »
My host, who had spend 6 weeks in the US, opined the US has pizza down right.  Italy, not so much.
I had some pretty decent pizza from little shops in and around Rome. Nothing that would make a "Best in the World" list, but quite good.

I'm not convinced of a One True Pizza style. There are lots of different types of pizza that can be fantastic, but for me the trick is the crust. A bad crust will ruin a pizza, and a good crust can make up for marginal toppings.  As far as chains, I particularly like Mellow Mushroom and Uno's.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2014, 09:52:14 AM »
Knew a eventually the California contingent would chime in with one of their $deity damped abominations.

Ain't nothin' wrong with those BBQ Chicken pizzas (I first saw it from California Pizza Kitchen a while back; others make them now too). Very nommable.

And that's coming from a guy who likes cheese pizzas, pepperoni pizzas, sausage pizzas, and combinations thereof.

Oh, and for cheap pizza, I like Cici's (buffet style or by the pie). Especially their taco pizza, though when they screw it up it's pretty awful. When they do it right, it's GREAT!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2014, 10:03:55 AM »
Agree that CiCi's is good bulk pizza. 

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2014, 10:41:48 AM »
Is that where we ate last year, Chris?

The place with the mac & cheese pizza?

If so, yeah it was pretty good for a chain. Better than Domino's.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2014, 11:24:01 AM »
No, that was a different place (Mad Fox in Falls Church, right?).  CiCi's makes a mac and cheese pizza, but I don't think we've gone there with you.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2014, 11:50:47 AM »
No, I remember Mad Fox... and now that you mention it, that was damned good pizza there, too.

But I know we ate at some pizza buffet chain restaurant a couple of years ago. It was big, it was cattle car like, and had about a dozen or more different pizza choices along with other stuff. I'm pretty sure that it was in either Woodbridge or Mansassas.

You and I were somewhere, and Michelle and the girls met us .

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2014, 11:51:24 AM »
And come to think of it, they may have even had the Dessert of Mystery there....  :rofl:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2014, 11:56:50 AM »
No, I remember Mad Fox... and now that you mention it, that was damned good pizza there, too.

But I know we ate at some pizza buffet chain restaurant a couple of years ago. It was big, it was cattle car like, and had about a dozen or more different pizza choices along with other stuff. I'm pretty sure that it was in either Woodbridge or Mansassas.

You and I were somewhere, and Michelle and the girls met us .

oh yeah!  That was CiCi's in Chantilly.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2014, 11:57:50 AM »
And come to think of it, they may have even had the Dessert of Mystery there....  :rofl:

geez, that stuff is rough on you.  No, it was not served at CiCi's.  Not only can you not remember having it at our house multiple times, you think you had it elsewhere.  Stuff's better than any drug.

Chris

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2014, 12:04:35 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty much where I am with my pizza, thin crust and not too much sauce.

And I like chicken and pineapple pizza.

Along with sausage and mushroom.

By my favorite is anchovy.

BURN THE HERETIC !!!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2014, 12:22:31 PM »
BURN THE HERETIC !!!!!

Go have a loaf of bread with some sauce and cheese on it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
geez, that stuff is rough on you.  No, it was not served at CiCi's.  Not only can you not remember having it at our house multiple times, you think you had it elsewhere.  Stuff's better than any drug.

Chris

LIAR!

It's served everywhere!

And I have never seen it before!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2014, 12:30:40 PM »
I've got a buddy who's taken me to Lou Malnati's. Good stuff.

Arguing over pizza seems a bit like arguing over sex. The mediocre or marginal stuff is still better than none, and the lousy creates a reference point for the really good.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2014, 12:30:50 PM »
oh yeah!  That was CiCi's in Chantilly.

There's a CiCi's in Chantilly?  How did I not know this?
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2014, 12:37:08 PM »
There's a CiCi's in Chantilly?  How did I not know this?

It's in the same shopping complex as the Sam's Club and Target, not far from Blue Ridge Arsenal.  I think that time Mike and I hit it was after a gun show at the Expo Center.

Chris

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2014, 01:30:02 PM »
My favorite is Larosa's in Cincinnati.  Hand-tossed crust, good sauce.  Top it with what you want, but be sure to add bacon.  This is hunks of bacon that they partially cook before putting it on the pizza, and it finishes cooking on the pizza, adding the awesomeness that is bacon grease to every bite.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2014, 02:44:47 PM »
Mac & cheese pizza? How does a loving god allow such abomination? [ar15]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2014, 02:49:33 PM »
Mac & cheese pizza? How does a loving god allow such abomination? [ar15]

Where is your God now?

Chris

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2014, 03:04:27 PM »
^^^Visions of Red Foxx clutching his chest...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch