Author Topic: DSLR camera opinions wanted please.  (Read 2289 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
DSLR camera opinions wanted please.
« on: October 20, 2014, 02:50:55 AM »
I'm in the early stages of shopping for a new camera for me. I haven't looked into them since we got the wife a Nikon D90  in 2010 so I'm maybe a little out of date.
I pretty much want to stay under or close to $1k  price wise for a camera with a couple of lenses, I'd like a "standard" 55 mm  and a mid-range tele-zoom lense. I'm not brand hobbled but right now I'm leaning toward Canon or Nikon.
The Nikon D5300  or Canon t5i are my current considerations.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: DSLR camera opinions wanted please.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 04:38:10 AM »
Get a Canon. I had a USA Nikon lens that the zoom locked up after 3 months. They wouldn't warranty it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 09:43:06 AM »
I'm enjoying my new Olympus EM5.  Its image stabilization is amazing.  It was just over $1000 with 2 zooms (Panasonic 14-42mm and Oly 40-150mm)  I don't have any prime lenses for it yet.  It's mirrorless, with a half-frame sensor, so mentally double those focal lengths.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 10:08:03 AM »
IMHO the only two brands to consider are Canon and Nikon. I have a friend in Greece who strongly favors Nikon. On the other hand, I have another friend -- a professional photographer -- who sneers at Nikon and uses exclusively Canon. I have preferred Canon over Nikon since I bought my first Canon SLR in Vietnam in 1968, so my vote goes to Canon. (I currently own two Canon DSLRs.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »
Does it matter? I have a D70 that does everything I need from a DSLR. I paid 200 for it. I don't understand amateurs buying top-of-the-line DSLRs. If I were to buy something else, it would be something more interesting like the Olyntax cameras with in-body stabilization, or one of the new EVIL cameras like the X100.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:32:37 AM »
Either one will do you well. I love my Nikon D300s, but Canons are equally as good with ubiquitous lens and accessory choices for both. They each seem to make a comparable camera at each "tier". I'm not familiar with current model numbers, but if the two you are looking at are in that same "tier" see which one has the features you want or need. I went with the D300 because of its weather resistance and Ben-proofness. Plus I was familiar with the platform from work.

The one reason you might want to swing to Nikon is your wife's D90. You'll be able to share lenses.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 10:50:09 AM »
Canon and Nikon products in your sub-$1k price range are pretty much interchangeable in terms of performance, reliability, and image quality. Either would be a good choice.

I prefer the Canon simply because I have a stable full of high end Canon glass from my film days. I have to admit being more than a little impressed by my t4i's video capture performance. You might check the Canon USA online store for a factory refurb t4i. Differences between it and the t5i are marginal and mostly feature-related. Image quality is the same. Price difference is substantial, especially if you catch the factory-store refurbs on one of their occasional specials. The 18-55 EF-S kit lens performs far better than it's modest price would lead you to believe.

The only other things I suggest are a investing in a good tripod and flash head. Middle-of-the-road is fine on a tripod for general use. Available from any number of sources. I think ball heads give max flexibility. Some tradeoff on stability but it's not an issue given the D-reb's relatively light weight. The flash? Stay with the mfg unit for better integration with camera functions. Get as much flash as you can afford. It's amazing what you can capture if your flash has the oomph to reach beyond casual snapshot range. Coupled with an F2.8 lens my 580EX flash will easily push past 100 ft. I've taken shots approaching 200 ft where the flash illuminated well enough to provide substantial fill.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:10:29 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 12:24:18 PM »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 05:58:15 PM »
Brad, what manner of adapter do you need for your old lenses? I also have a bag full of lenses for my old Canon AE-1 but I haven't looked to see if there are actual adapters available for that vintage of glass.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
DSLR camera opinions wanted please.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 06:19:48 PM »
Canon T3i. Best bang for the buck. Install magic lantern firmware.

Edit to add: this is from professional that uses Pentax.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 06:31:24 PM »
IIRC the AE-1 uses FD lenses. There are adapter available for EF-mount bodies. Just understand that you lose ALL automated functions. If you're comfortable shooting full manual it's not a problem, though focusing through the Rebel's less optically clear viewfinder (vs your AE-1) can be a challenge. In low light it's darn near impossible if your eyesight is less than perfect.

At your price point you gan get a kit that includes the body and a both walkaround and zoom lenses. I'd suggest retiring or Craigslisting your FD lenses and get EF units. You'll be happier in the long run.

P12 suggested the 3. Good unit, but it will only do 30 fps video at 720 resolution. Stepping up to the t4 gets you full 30 fps @ 1080.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:20:20 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 08:14:11 PM »
I knew I'd lose all the auto features but I've got some fairly decent glass I bought in Japan back in '85. I'm still tempted to get the AE-1 operational again and drag out the darkroom kit.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 08:39:06 PM »
Get the adapter. It'll be even more fun than the darkroom. You can play with settings and see results on the fly.

Brad
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 08:59:58 PM »
Did a little looking at the adapter availability and it is pretty limited. There is also some focal length problems. Plenty of research to do before the I make a decision. Of course all the reviews I'm reading are also tempting me to look at the next level up in grade.
Hell, it's only money...

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 09:13:31 PM »
Did a little looking at the adapter availability and it is pretty limited. There is also some focal length problems. Plenty of research to do before the I make a decision. Of course all the reviews I'm reading are also tempting me to look at the next level up in grade.
Hell, it's only money...

That's one reason I went with the Micro 4/3 system.  It has such a short flange-to-sensor distance, you can get adapters for just about any lens.  (Also why i picked Olympus over Panasonic, cuz the IS is in the camera body and should work with manual lenses)  

I just bought a Canon FD adapter but haven't played with it much.  My old 50mm f/1.4 FD lens should be *great* for taking portraits (I don't take many portraits)  And I thought I would use the 135mm f/2.8 manual lens a lot, but the Olympus zoom is just as good or better.
"It's good, though..."

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 09:45:07 PM »

P12 suggested the 3. Good unit, but it will only do 30 fps video at 720 resolution. Stepping up to the t4 gets you full 30 fps @ 1080.

Brad

The main issue with the T4i is the auto focus. I've read it does some hunting. Not as fast.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 11:01:37 PM »
I haven't noticed any problems, but I also don't do a lot of action or low-light shots unless I have my F/2.8 mounted. For everyday stuff it's lightning fast compared to the first-gen DReb it replaced.

Brad
-HankB

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 11:25:16 PM »
I went with a Pentax K5 because it's weather sealed (a big deal in W WA) and the IS is in the body not the lens so you can find amazing glass cheap that's backwards compatible. I've liked it so far.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 02:28:32 AM »
I prefer the controls on the Canons. Make a bit more sense to me.

Hell, it's only money...

I have one of these adapters: http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Mount-Adapter-Camera-Digital/dp/B003EB0AXY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1413872427&sr=1-1&keywords=Canon+FD+to+EOS

Works fairly well. I've been using it with an old Tamron SP 35-210mm lens on a T1i body.  The focal length thing isn't really too big a problem; you just have to keep in mind that Canon APS-C censors have a ~1.6x crop factor, which will mean any focal length will effectively be 1.6x what it is normally. So 35mm==56mm, 50mm==80mm, etc.

Does it matter? I have a D70 that does everything I need from a DSLR. I paid 200 for it. I don't understand amateurs buying top-of-the-line DSLRs. If I were to buy something else, it would be something more interesting like the Olyntax cameras with in-body stabilization, or one of the new EVIL cameras like the X100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC33CgrY4f8
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:42:41 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 02:48:29 AM »
Not a bad price for an adapter.
Getting up to speed with the differences between DSLRs and the old Film SLRs should be fun. I'll probably even violate the sacred rule and get the wife's  D90 out and play with it some. I've pretty well left that one as her domain. She gets pissy when I use her stuff and show her up. I think she's still miffed about the award she got for a B&W photo using a darkroom technique I showed her how.to do.

And while I'm nearly 20 years out of the game, and I don't consider the surveillance photo work I did in the Navy qualifies me as a pro I don't consider myself exactly an amateur. Nor do I consider the level of gear I'm looking at to be top of the line. =D

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 03:04:26 AM »
Not a bad price for an adapter.

Yeah. You'll probably lose some sharpness with it, but not a whole lot (I'm finding that the Tamron is still as sharp and maybe even somewhat sharper than the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM I have, despite the extra glass), and the price is low enough that experimenting with it won't set you back much.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 06:04:15 AM »
If you liked the darkroom you'll absolutely love Photoshop. Get PS Elements and play with it too (if you haven't already). I think Adobe has a combo pack that includes both PS and Premier for around a c-note.

Brad
-HankB

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 06:13:12 AM »
If you liked the darkroom you'll absolutely love Photoshop. Get PS Elements and play with it too (if you haven't already). I think Adobe has a combo pack that includes both PS and Premier for around a c-note.

Brad

They've gone to a subscription model called Creative Cloud. Lightroom and Photoshop is $10 a month. Might be able to still find some copies of Elements or CS6 around if you don't like CC though.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 06:33:13 AM »
CC is an option but luckily for us more traditional types it's still available as a standalone product. Just checked and the PS/Premiere 13 bundle is goes for $140 on Amazon.

Brad
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 06:42:30 AM »
They've gone to a subscription model called Creative Cloud. Lightroom and Photoshop is $10 a month. Might be able to still find some copies of Elements or CS6 around if you don't like CC though.

We've got a.sub for that for the whole Adobe shooting match of stuff with I think a 3 machine license. A year or so ago I finally convinced the wife that using bootleg software to do her graphic design work commercially was a really, really bad idea.
I haven't played with it much beyond setting it up on the 2 machines for her. Time to learn new stuff while it's too cold for sailing.
I may have to upgrade to a newer laptop to run it though.

Samuel Adams