Author Topic: Why we shouldn't do nude selfies on our cell phones  (Read 4560 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Why we shouldn't do nude selfies on our cell phones
« on: October 27, 2014, 09:56:32 AM »
http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/upiUPI-20141026-201453-3484

Because we never know when those who are supposedly sworn to serve and protect us will serve themselves and their buddies.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Why we shouldn't do nude selfies on our cell phones
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 11:03:26 AM »
http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/upiUPI-20141026-201453-3484

Because we never know when those who are supposedly sworn to serve and protect us will serve themselves and their buddies.

Victims fault somehow? 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 11:41:43 AM »
Victims fault somehow? 

You are very right.  If they hadn't taken private pictures with their device that they owned then that wouldn't have allowed the officers to steal the pictures. /sarcasm
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 02:16:56 PM »
Wow.

How above accountability do you have to be to try something like that, what with your phone/email attached to it?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 03:06:17 PM »
Not even Frank Poncherello would stoop to something as low as that.  Or as stupid.

The question I have is - why have the CHP officers who he "shared" the pictures with not been named and included in the report of CHP Commissioner Joe Farrow's outrage, indignation, and adverse personnel action?

Well, that and how come he is pulling desk duty during the investigation of a felony offense?  (Yes, I know.  Law Enforcement unions in Cali are powerful.  But really?)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 07:22:31 PM »
Yet one more of a thousand reasons why I'm not taking self nudies...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 07:29:29 PM »
The woman's DUI case has since been dropped due to the investigation.

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 07:40:02 PM »
Yet one more of a thousand reasons why I'm not taking self nudies...
Also one reason we should all lock our phones.

And never grant consent for an officer to search it.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 09:12:38 PM »
Also one reason we should all lock our phones.

And never grant consent for an officer to search it.

Power the phone off first. If it has been unlocked since it was powered on, some stuff is exposed.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 12:04:10 AM »
Power the phone off first. If it has been unlocked since it was powered on, some stuff is exposed.
Ideally, but casual snooping is by far the most common threat.  If a cop - or anyone else who gets a few minutes alone with your devices - wants to snoop for nudes, they usually aren't going to go in depth to crack it.  Even a four digit numeric passcode is far better than nothing.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 09:23:34 AM »
"Why we shouldn't do nude selfies on our cell phones"

This really seems like one of those issues where if you have to be told, you probably are not going to heed any good advice anyway.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 09:39:24 AM »
Really in truth, this is a cautionary tale of why you should have a decent idea of your rights.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 09:57:45 AM »
Gotta disagree with everyone here.

This girl got a freebie on a DUI (and could very well get several hundred k) at the low cost of some cops looking at a picture of her nude.

That's way above the going rate for nude modeling, much less what "girls gone wild" payed her last spring.

Just in the "avoiding jail time" column that nude selfie was a good idea for her.

ETA: [/snark]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 11:48:11 AM by dogmush »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 10:43:52 AM »
Gotta disagree with everyone here.

This girl got a freebie on a DUI (and could very well get several hundred k) at the low cost of some cops looking at a picture of her nude.

That's way above the going rate for nude modeling, much less what "girls gone wild" payed her last spring.

Just in the "avoiding jail time" column that nude selfie was a good idea for her.

She didn't get a freebie. Her fourth amendment rights were severely violated for the personal pleasure of a government employee. Said government employee's word in court would be worth... zip? It was the officer who chose to make his word and honor worthless on the stand, even in our legal system.

This should be the standard for any property or data, not the exception.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:50:39 AM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 11:49:02 AM »
guess the snark was too subtle.  added a tag.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 01:33:41 PM »
The fact that it's apparently a common "game" among police officers is both unsurprising, and deplorable. 
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 05:35:32 PM »
I'm going to put a bunch of nude selfies on my phone just in case it does get confiscated. >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 05:42:38 PM »
I'm going to put a bunch of nude selfies on my phone just in case it does get confiscated. >:D

Breaking News:  several police officers struck blind.  Film at 11.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 06:12:44 PM »

I bet that it won't get you out of a DUI  :P

Us guys need to claim discrimination!  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 06:48:47 PM »
=D  :laugh:  :lol:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 07:21:59 PM »
http://vaultyapp.com/

Cool!

I especially like this part:

Mugshot

If someone tries to snoop in your vault and enters the wrong password, Vaulty will catch a picture of them for you using your front camera and save it in your vault for the next time you log in.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »
Cool!

I especially like this part:

I didn't even know about that... *goes to check her app*

it works too! cool!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 01:15:32 AM »
Waste of breath here, wonder if said badge wearing idiots will be charged with the appropriate crime? 
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 06:20:32 AM »
Waste of breath here, wonder if said badge wearing idiots will be charged with the appropriate crime? 

If "Walking Upright and Impersonating a Human Being" were a crime, the greater part of the population of California would be behind bars.

So far it looks like only the one bozo is under investigation for felony computer theft; there was no mention of the other CP officer he named as receiving the photos (and those of several others over the years) facing any sort of legal consequence.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.