Author Topic: Dog owners are special  (Read 5685 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Dog owners are special
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 09:46:56 PM »
She will get one of the dogs killed. She's that retarded. She's one of those ones that freak out if you jerk on a leash. She can't/ won't learn how to control em and as a result got one of my dogs killed almost 20'years ago. I forgave that it was my fault for not being more specific in teaching her. But she still won't learn so I gave up. I don't have it in me to forgive that stupid again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Dog owners are special
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2014, 09:56:02 PM »
With dogs you are Alpha, or you are not.

Yep, how I train bird dogs.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

• friends
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »
The dogs like having an alpha. They get confused when their isn't one

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2014, 10:09:38 PM »
The dogs like having an alpha. They get confused when their isn't one

That right there!  When we play frisbee, I hold 3 disks and throw them in seniority order.  Alpha dog gets the first throw, dog #2 gets the next as Alpha is catching hers, then #3 is thrown as #2 catches.  They bring them back somewhat in order, and the process is repeated.  Dog 2 likes to chew and bend her frisbee if I don't take it from her right away, so I started making sure I took hers as soon as she got back.  Sometimes that would be before #1 got back.  After a few days of this, we started having squabbles between #1 and #2.  I went back to taking the frisbees from them in order, and the squabbling has stopped.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

• friends
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2014, 10:16:37 PM »
With the wife "you're being mean!"with any type of corrective move. I need to live long enough to raise the kids or they are screwed. The 13 year old has even realized it and will say it out loud . And I am a pushover with the kids but I am the only discipline they get .

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »
But the agent never claimed self defense.  He claimed he was defending his property (the little dog.)  I have no idea what the law is on that; it's generally okay to shoot a dog that's killing game or livestock.

He just did not know that he was exercising "self defense" at the time.  According to the Wa Ct Ct decision he has a constitutional right of self defense to protect his dog.  That the decision is non-prescedential does not mean it cannot be brought up at all.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2014, 07:20:30 AM »
Maryland Code
ARTICLE 24 POLITICAL SUBDIVISIONS - MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS
TITLE 11. LICENSES.
SUBTITLE 5. REGULATION OF ANIMALS.

§ 11-505. Dogs attacking livestock, etc., may be killed.

Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing, attacking, wounding or killing any poultry or livestock, or attacking human beings whether or not such dog bears the proper license tag required by these provisions. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.

Pretty much everywhere 'companion animals' are not considered to be livestock.  Virginia recognizes that difference in

§ 3.2-6586. Dog injuring or killing other companion animals.

The owner of any companion animal that is injured or killed by a dog shall be entitled to recover damages consistent with the provisions of § 3.2-6585 from the owner of such dog in an appropriate action at law if: (i) the injury occurred on the premises of the companion animal's owner; and (ii) the owner of the offending dog did not have the permission of the companion animal's owner for the dog to be on the premises at the time of the attack.

(2003, c. 841, § 3.1-796.127:1; 2008, c. 860.)

Off the injured animal's owner's property it's treated more like a fender-bender.

§ 3.2-6585. Dogs and cats deemed personal property; rights relating thereto.

All dogs and cats shall be deemed personal property and may be the subject of larceny and malicious or unlawful trespass. Owners, as defined in § 3.2-6500, may maintain any action for the killing of any such animals, or injury thereto, or unlawful detention or use thereof as in the case of other personal property. The owner of any dog or cat that is injured or killed contrary to the provisions of this chapter by any person shall be entitled to recover the value thereof or the damage done thereto in an appropriate action at law from such person.

An animal control officer or other officer finding a stolen dog or cat, or a dog or cat held or detained contrary to law, shall have authority to seize and hold such animal pending action before a general district court or other court. If no such action is instituted within seven days, the animal control officer or other officer shall deliver the dog or cat to its owner.

The presence of a dog or cat on the premises of a person other than its legal owner shall raise no presumption of theft against the owner, and the animal control officer may take such animal and notify its legal owner. The legal owner of the animal shall pay a reasonable charge as the local governing body by ordinance shall establish for the keep of such animal while in the possession of the animal control officer.

(1984, c. 492, § 29-213.95; 1987, c. 488, § 3.1-796.127; 1988, c. 537; 1998, c. 817; 2008, c. 860.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2014, 07:57:13 AM »
<uncharacteristic anger>

Uncontrolled dogs are a menace almost any way you look at it, from pooping in your garden to killing your livestock.  Or you.

Expecially when they pack up.

A "180 pound" Great Dane is a pack all by itself, and probably outweighed Grandma, who was visiting, and not the dog's normal "human control."  To me, this was akin to handing Grandma a cocked .357 without any instruction, and letting her roam free.  

You don't go kicking dogs or "grabbing their collar" to separate them especially if the fight is so one-sided and blood has already been tasted.   Chances are too great that you will get bitten yourself. If you have chemical deterrents, they're worth a try, but I would not go sticking my own paws in a fight like that.

As far as the LEO's (or any ordinary citizen's) dog is concerned, the law seem to conveniently forget that one's pet is not merely property, but is a member of the family, loved as such, and cared for as such.  To my mind, the same instinctual protective reaction-set should apply.

I think too much was made of the guy being an LEO.  In this particular case, he should be regarded as any other plain ordinary person permitted to carry concealed.

And that pic of the kid resting near the Great Dane is akin to presenting pictures of recent ne'er-do-wells as innocent smooth-faced little boys --I'm sure you know whom I mean.

</uncharacteristic anger>

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:08:23 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2014, 05:45:15 PM »
<uncharacteristic anger>

Uncontrolled dogs are a menace almost any way you look at it, from pooping in your garden to killing your livestock.  Or you.

Expecially when they pack up.

A "180 pound" Great Dane is a pack all by itself, and probably outweighed Grandma, who was visiting, and not the dog's normal "human control."  To me, this was akin to handing Grandma a cocked .357 without any instruction, and letting her roam free. 

You don't go kicking dogs or "grabbing their collar" to separate them especially if the fight is so one-sided and blood has already been tasted.   Chances are too great that you will get bitten yourself. If you have chemical deterrents, they're worth a try, but I would not go sticking my own paws in a fight like that.

As far as the LEO's (or any ordinary citizen's) dog is concerned, the law seem to conveniently forget that one's pet is not merely property, but is a member of the family, loved as such, and cared for as such.  To my mind, the same instinctual protective reaction-set should apply.

I think too much was made of the guy being an LEO.  In this particular case, he should be regarded as any other plain ordinary person permitted to carry concealed.

And that pic of the kid resting near the Great Dane is akin to presenting pictures of recent ne'er-do-wells as innocent smooth-faced little boys --I'm sure you know whom I mean.

</uncharacteristic anger>

This. So much this.

You would not believe the issues I had at the old job because people wanted to let their mutts run around off leash despite A) Leash laws in effect and B) Park regulations with many posted signs) and C) Common Sense, since there were lots of children, other dogs, and wildlife around

We had several people attacked by dogs, dogs getting into fights with other dogs, dogs getting eaten by other animals (gators LOVE dog), and so forth. Also lots of dogs ran away.

And EVERY. *expletive deleted*ing. LAST. ONE. of the owners I made contact with asked them, politely, to put their dog on a leash in accordance with the law, they got all indignant and pissy because to enforce the leash law for the safety of our other visitors and wildlife. "He's under voice control" "She would never hurt anyone" "We're just letting dogs be dogs and run loose".

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:49:31 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2014, 06:04:09 PM »
Dog 2 likes to chew and bend her frisbee if I don't take it from her right away, so I started making sure I took hers as soon as she got back.

http://www.mooreparts.com/5406-601151251A/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAlISlBRDHpIekkMGiiskBEiQAh-0KQGRaggOdUs6PfpWPQ6uUi6q5Yt3TEfEWaWxpHa1jcuUaAvNi8P8HAQ

brimic

• friends
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 06:23:30 PM »
I think too much was made of the guy being an LEO.  In this particular case, he should be regarded as any other plain ordinary person permitted to carry concealed.
that is my only hangup on this one. Unless things have changed in recent years, its vitually impossible to get a ccw permit in MD, unless leo or federal leo. Different sets of rules for different classes of people doesn't sit well with me.

Also there could be a lot more to this story. What breed of dog did the feeb have on a leassh? Big dog doesn't necessarily equal aggressive dog. He might have had an ankle biter that nipped at big dumb jolly great dane (been my experience with the personality of that breed).
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

• friends
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 06:28:58 PM »
According to granny he had a small dog her grand kid was a bit ahead and her dog ripped free of her after pulling her face down and attacked .
And yea Jesus couldn't get a ccw in maryland. Unless he contributed to the right campaigns

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 07:30:57 PM »
People are dumbasses about their dogs.

I don't know which is worse, the idiots who don't understand that their dogs is perfectly capable of mauling the hell out of someone or something or the idiots who don't get that just because their 90 lbs of idiot lab wouldn't nibble a fly doesn't mean all dogs are like that.

Grandma got that Dane killed.

What's more, the history of the dog suggests that it shouldn't have still been among the living in the first place.

If you can't control your dog, then you shouldn't have one.

I have dogs that aren't exactly the most trust worthy. I work with dogs who can be downright scary. I don't maintain control just for the sake of some innocent canine passing by. I maintain control for sake of the dog I'm in charge of, because I know that a slip up means their life.

The FBI guy did the right thing. I imagine he feels horrid, especially with the kid witnessing the death of the dog.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2014, 08:23:37 PM »
^ And how about the kid witnessing his Great Dane trying to kill the little dog?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:29:04 PM by 230RN »

• friends
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2014, 08:31:37 PM »
That's different

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2014, 08:34:48 PM »
^ And how about the kid witnessing his Great Dane trying to kill the little dog?

Kids going to have nightmares.

The really sad part is, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of aggression on the part of the Dane was because of the kid and the Dane being protective.
Grandma couldn't control the dog in the first place. You add in the kid, and this was just inevitable.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2014, 01:27:27 AM »
I agree that the Grandma holds the responsibility.  She knew the dog's history and either should have left it home or more actively avoided other dogs.  She certainly shouldn't be walking along expecting everyone else to move out of the way. 

Beyond that, Grandma never really had control.  The dog could have broken free anytime it wanted. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2014, 01:43:21 AM »
Was the great Dane black?

Was the great Dane armed?

Have local LEOs been properly schooled in restraint?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Ooops!  Just looked at the news report.  Horrors!  The Dane was both black and white.  What will the recreational hysterics do?
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

• friends
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2014, 09:31:07 PM »
A group of folks is having a conniption about a crated dog under the wing in houston on Sunday. It was 48 . These broads are flipping out on Facebook after some twit posted a pic online

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2014, 09:55:21 AM »
A group of folks is having a conniption about a crated dog under the wing in houston on Sunday. It was 48 . These broads are flipping out on Facebook after some twit posted a pic online

Just exactly where do people think dogs lived before they were domesticated?

For that matter, why isn't anybody crying about all the cows that live out in the open?

• friends
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2014, 11:11:59 AM »
I good litmus test is when you see the term " fur babies". Reality has left the building. And groups of these people to take on the characteristics of the stupidest person in the group

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2014, 12:26:20 PM »
^ Like resistors in parallel.  Total resistance can not be greater than the smallest resistor in the circuit.

The greater the number of people in the group, the more paths for stupidity to flow.

Thus, total intelligence can not be greater than the intelligence of the dumbest person in the group.

(I can expound on that mathematically, if anyone's interested.)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2014, 01:30:18 PM »
I good litmus test is when you see the term " fur babies". Reality has left the building. And groups of these people to take on the characteristics of the stupidest person in the group

I often call my dogs my furry children...

uh oh...

HankB

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2014, 01:47:36 PM »
Most large dogs I've encountered have been placid and well-mannered . . . when they approach, they're likely looking for a pat on the head or a scratch behind the ears.

However, in THIS case . . . given the circumstances . . . it was a good shoot by the LEO.

It would have been a good shoot by anyone.

And the people writing critical comments in the linked story from the OP are just as nuts as the people who reflexively defend expired violent criminals.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain