Author Topic: Attempt to pay property taxes in $1 bills  (Read 8827 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: Attempt to pay property taxes in $1 bills
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 08:43:18 PM »
This guy will have his day in court too.
 :police:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re:
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 08:44:56 PM »
Unless you can cite case law to that point, or extant law, I'm going to say that you are incorrect.

Public entities can also choose the forms of payment they will accept, including the refusal of cash or personal checks.

For years Fairfax County Courts refused payments of cash or personal checks for payment of concealed handgun permits.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TX/htm/TX.31.htm

Sec. 31.06.  MEDIUM OF PAYMENT.  (a)  Except as provided by Section 31.061, taxes are payable only as provided by this section. A collector shall accept United States currency or a check or money order in payment of taxes and shall accept payment by credit card or electronic funds transfer.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 09:19:33 PM »
I've already addressed the existence of STATE laws.

There is no blanket Federal law.

That law, however, sets no strictures on refusing payments that are on their face designed to impede the operations of the receiving office.

It is unreasonable and unrealistic to believe that STATE law mandates acceptance of cash in all circumstances.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 09:21:12 PM »
Here's a bucket of my *expletive deleted*it and piss with my tax payment mixed in!

You must accept it!

Nope.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 09:52:56 PM »
^ That probably falls under some kind of law about defacing currency anyhow.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2015, 10:46:49 PM »
I gave a toll collector a zip lock with 16 dollars of pennies as a protest to the recently raised rates for a 5 axle truck.
They got pissy, I pop the air breaks and offered to wait.
Needless to say I did not wait.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re:
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2015, 11:19:44 PM »
Right?
Being an *expletive deleted*hole isn't illegal though, and that is why I simply can't side with the 'public servants' on this one. The 'tresspassing' while paying taxes, on public property no less, is what you should be incensed about. Its bullshit.

Having worked in a municipal public office for a few years, I have to agree with Mike and disagree with you. Did you really read the story? This wasn't just about a guy who wanted to pay his taxes in $1 bills. That alone would have been an inconvenience of a major degree in a tax office at the end of the grace period, when bunches of people are coming in to beat the deadline. Turning the bills into 600 pieces of origami and then demanding that the tax collector accept them is just asinine.  The staff were right to ask him the leave, and the cop was right to arrest him when he refused to leave.

In the town hall where I worked, there was a "no cash" policy in effect. I guess a zillion years back some town staffer had sticky fingers, so the powers that be took the easy way out -- no cash payments=nothing for sticky fingers to steal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2015, 11:50:08 PM »
Its a terrible crime to inconvenience a tax collector, I mean the money just dropped from the sky into the payer's hands, how dare he use that money to try to make a statement, even if that statement is sonething as crass as a ' *expletive deleted*ck you'

I get it that the tax office would work a lot more efficiently if the tax commissar could have turned this into a teachable moment by having the man taken out back and shot for questioning his authority. Luckily for all of us, even if some of us don't grasp it, we are not there yet.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:57:18 PM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 07:09:28 AM »
Jackassery can be met with jackassery without resorting to rude behavior on either side.  Tax office here will accept payments in cash - so long as coins are wrapped and bills are bundled.  Each roll of coins must be signed and dated in front of the clerk, who countersigns, and the same with bundles of bills.  Those rolls and bundles are later taken in the back and verified (two staffers + counter clerk) using the same machinery your bank uses.  Short rolls/bundles are marked and referred to the Commonwealth Attorney for fraud - just like the sign out front warns you.

Our County Treasurer is in his 3rd term (so been re-elected twice) is open about budgeting for overtime during tax season.  That plus his policy of frequent (4xday) cash reconcilliation seems to make both the Board of Supervisors and the voters happy.

Mr. Origami would have been shown the sign and asked to step out of line to put his bills in the proper format.  They have a counter with coin rolls and bill wrappers where he could do that if he did not want to go home.  Demand to stay at the counter and make the clerk play with the folded money would most likely result in the cops being called for the disturbance the folks behind him in line would create.  Sort of a self-regulating system.  OTOH I have seen some gangbanger-looking persons step out of line to help a senior citizen (of a different ethnicity) who appeared to be a mite confused over how to wrap/bundle, and then "ask" that the senior citizen be allowed to cut to the front of the line when their money was properly assembled.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 07:52:53 AM »
^ That probably falls under some kind of law about defacing currency anyhow.

You can deface/destroy all of the currency you want.

It's not illegal.

The ONLY time it is illegal for anyone to deface currency is if they do it with the intention to defraud.

Tearing a $1 bill to bits after drawing devil horns on George Washington?

Legal.

Drawing on a $1 bill so as to make it look like a $10 bill?

Illegal as hell.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2015, 09:03:56 AM »
Thanks for the info.  That's why I said "probably."
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2015, 09:38:21 AM »
Just because you want to be an $%(&$% doesn't mean everyone else must accomodate you.  You are free to act like that.  It isn't illegal, but others don't have to put up with it.  Govt employees don't have to put up with it either. 

Also, it isn't the faceless govt he was being a jerk to.  It is the fairly low paid clerks that would have to deal with the crap he was trying to pull.  At the office I deal with, those people have always decent people. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 09:40:36 AM »
That's why I said "probably."

And that's why I posted the information.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
I would have thought he would be better off getting a bunch of $1 coins.  My thoughts on the legal tender are that they ought to accept it, but I don't think they should be required to accept it in any form.  I can't imagine how long he sat around folding up all those $1 bills.  Just silly and spiteful.  

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2015, 09:42:35 AM »
"those people have always decent people."

No they're not! They're faceless functionaries who deserve to be crapped upon by the true patriots of the SomethingSomethingSomething Movement for... uh... libery, justice, and fraternity...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2015, 09:43:35 AM »
I would have thought he would be better off getting a bunch of $1 coins.  My thoughts on the legal tender are that they ought to accept it, but I don't think they should be required to accept it in any form.  I can't imagine how long he sat around folding up all those $1 bills.  Just silly and spiteful. 

Yeah, but dollar coins are an absolute bitch to fold! :rofl:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2015, 10:00:17 AM »
Yeah, but dollar coins are an absolute bitch to fold! :rofl:

That's what a hydraulic press is for! :D

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2015, 11:28:33 AM »
Just because you want to be an $%(&$% doesn't mean everyone else must accomodate you.  You are free to act like that.  It isn't illegal, but others don't have to put up with it.  Govt employees don't have to put up with it either. 

Also, it isn't the faceless govt he was being a jerk to.  It is the fairly low paid clerks that would have to deal with the crap he was trying to pull.  At the office I deal with, those people have always decent people. 

I often think about this very thing as people Rage Against The Machine.  Don't piss all over my front desk staff receptionists and medical assistants.  You have a problem, come talk to me.  They pay me the medium-sized bucks to deal with the aholes, not my entry-level staff.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2015, 11:35:05 AM »
It's safer to crap on lower level staff. That type of *expletive deleted*che is all about safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2015, 11:39:37 AM »
Now now...

TRUE patriots will engage any target to make their patriotic stand agains "da man!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2015, 04:12:10 PM »
FRINGE !!!!!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2015, 04:53:40 PM »
FRINGE !!!!!!!

Did he tell the clerk to produce three forms of ID?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2015, 05:43:41 PM »
Does anyone know where the three forms of id thing originates? Some sovereign thing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2015, 09:02:45 PM »
When I pay our property taxes, the treasurer's office has lines for cash and lines for checks/money orders.  Helps keep things moving for everyone. And I have seen people pay with small bills and coins.  Treasuruer takes it with a smile.  Said he recognizes that some people save every penny to pay the bill, so he won't turn them away.  Good man.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2015, 10:21:50 PM »
I don't see any issue with the arrest. The failure to accept the currency and the trespass are completely different issues. County fails to accept your legal tender? Take them to court when they levy your property.

They ask you to leave and you don't leave? That's a trespass plain and simple and will get you a ride in a crown vic no matter where you try it but ONLY if you stick around to try the cuffs on for size.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.