Author Topic: Attempt to pay property taxes in $1 bills  (Read 8852 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Attempt to pay property taxes in $1 bills
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2015, 06:51:47 AM »
When I pay our property taxes, the treasurer's office has lines for cash and lines for checks/money orders.  Helps keep things moving for everyone. And I have seen people pay with small bills and coins.  Treasuruer takes it with a smile.  Said he recognizes that some people save every penny to pay the bill, so he won't turn them away.  Good man.

I'm certain that the big difference is that most of those people aren't going out of their way to be complete and total aholes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2015, 06:58:10 AM »
"County fails to accept your legal tender? Take them to court when they levy your property."

Unless there is a state or local law specifically mandating that cash must be accepted as a form of payment, the only thing you will do is waste your time and your filing fee.

Once again, there is NO Federal law that requires any private or public entity to accept cash payments.

That a bank note or coin is considered to be legal tender does not convey a blanket obligation to accept it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2015, 07:40:28 AM »
"County fails to accept your legal tender? Take them to court when they levy your property."

Unless there is a state or local law specifically mandating that cash must be accepted as a form of payment, the only thing you will do is waste your time and your filing fee.

Once again, there is NO Federal law that requires any private or public entity to accept cash payments.

That a bank note or coin is considered to be legal tender does not convey a blanket obligation to accept it.

Either way, what I was driving at is that the money problem is a secondary issue. A trespass is a trespass and only a retard would argue a trespass with a cop. That's a fast way to get locked up.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2015, 09:15:40 AM »

Even if there was a state law mandating acceptance of legal tender, I doubt a judge would be sympathetic about folding each dollar up.  I like the one suggestion that they might simply make him unfold and stack all the dollars before acceptance.  I think there is a "reasonable" test to apply here.

Another jerk option would be to bring a one big box with a thousand little boxes, each with $1 in them.  I think that was from a Looney Tunes cartoon. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2015, 11:18:22 AM »
Even if there was a state law mandating acceptance of legal tender, I doubt a judge would be sympathetic about folding each dollar up.  I like the one suggestion that they might simply make him unfold and stack all the dollars before acceptance.  I think there is a "reasonable" test to apply here.

Another jerk option would be to bring a one big box with a thousand little boxes, each with $1 in them.  I think that was from a Looney Tunes cartoon.  

I think a judge that got this case is probably going to want a drink.  Idiot who wants to be a pain in the ass when paying his taxes, a county employee that can't deal with a hostile customer, and a cop who made the situation worse instead of better.  He (or she) may call everyone in, yell at all of them to get it resolved, and walk away until it is.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:28:25 PM by Chris »
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2015, 12:01:39 PM »
"a county employee that can't deal with a hostile customer"

From what I'm seeing the clerk did a good job of dealing with a *expletive deleted*bag customer (DBC).

Didn't get into a screaming match with DBC, didn't trade punches with DBC, told DBC what was going to/not going to happen, and when DBC wigged out about it, called the police to resolve the situation. To me, that's handling things properly.

Cop also seems to have handled it well. It would appear that DBC doubled down on his douchebaggery and refused to obey the police officer's orders. I don't care who you are, if you willfully ignore the orders of a police officer, things are not going to go well for you in the short term, even if it's determined that the cop was wrong (that's long term).

Also, the cop didn't shoot, tase, or beat DBC. Just arrested him.

Based on what's here, and what precious little I've been able to glean elsewhere, the only person to blame for the outcome is DBC. The cop is good, the tax office people are good, so there's absolutely no reason for the judge to be overstepping his authority and bring them up front for a scolding.

I think any judge who gets this case is going to be both amused AND annoyed, but it's going to be all directed at DBC.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2015, 12:09:43 PM »
"Even if there was a state law mandating acceptance of legal tender, I doubt a judge would be sympathetic about folding each dollar up."

I saw one or two cases of people trying to screw with either officers of the court, police, or county/town officials in the course of their official duties when I was on the newspaper. Nothing quite like this, but it never really ended well for the person who was claiming defense of some principal.

I know if I were a judge and someone came before me in such circumstances I would be less than amused. I'd probably lock him up along with his folded money with the caveat that he would only get out when he unfolded the bills.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2015, 12:18:41 PM »
A lot of times folks get talked into being stupid by their fellow revolutionaries on the internet.  The guy who got caught riding his motorcycle in md is a classic case. I caught his initial post of the video where the cop stopped him at gun point and he described the cop as being pretty cool and only writing him for 80.  But then he got all psyched up by some folks online and got stupid.  First he edited out the sound track and tried to claim the audio track was bad. The audio did not fit his narrative. Then he tried to pitch a felony stop as a zomg incidents he had lots of fanbois. I bet it was fun till they raided mom and dad's house. I know if my dipshit son got me raided one of us would be getting a beating. I can't remember if they cuffed mom and dad but it would not be unusual. just having to sit outside while the neighbors watched would be bad enough. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2015, 12:21:47 PM »
Holy crap, I'd not heard about that!

• friends
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2015, 01:16:37 PM »
Never post digital video that include your speedo if you are gonna ride stupid. Though in some folks world passing a bus on the bow parkway on the right at close to 100 is "freedom!" Not reckless

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2015, 01:37:30 PM »
I almost felt bad for him.. You could see him getting spun up by the comments and recommendations then he pulled the video and the next time he posted it was edited. It reminded me of joe horn spinning himself up. I don't know about him but for me if I got my mom jerked outa the house by the cops and humiliated I'd have to kill myself. And I suspect it was not a career enchancer for an army sgt . But he was a hero for a second

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2015, 01:56:46 PM »
I don't remember anything else about Joe Horn aside from the one incident.  Once the jury no-billed him, I didn't think anything further came up.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2015, 01:58:26 PM »
A lot of times folks get talked into being stupid by their fellow revolutionaries on the internet.  The guy who got caught riding his motorcycle in md is a classic case. I caught his initial post of the video where the cop stopped him at gun point and he described the cop as being pretty cool and only writing him for 80.  But then he got all psyched up by some folks online and got stupid.  First he edited out the sound track and tried to claim the audio track was bad. The audio did not fit his narrative. Then he tried to pitch a felony stop as a zomg incidents he had lots of fanbois. I bet it was fun till they raided mom and dad's house. I know if my dipshit son got me raided one of us would be getting a beating. I can't remember if they cuffed mom and dad but it would not be unusual. just having to sit outside while the neighbors watched would be bad enough. 

This made me think of all the people claiming that you didn't have to pay income taxes and the amendment allowing it never passed. 

• friends
Attempt to pay property taxes in $1 bills
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2015, 02:11:07 PM »
I don't remember anything else about Joe Horn aside from the one incident.  Once the jury no-billed him, I didn't think anything further came up.
Joe did an interview in which he was very candid about how he ramped himself up and how bravado and fear took him someplace

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=5291506

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2015, 03:17:10 PM »
"When you're confronted, and when somebody's rushes you — and you already told them not to move — you know you must shoot or you'll already be dead," Horn said. "I had to do the right thing to save my life, but this is not a good feeling."

I guess I'll have to watch the video later.  The quotes written in the article don't provide anything new.

The article still implies the 911 dispatcher can give orders and everyone is supposed to obey.  That crap still gets under my skin a bit.  I guess I ignored much of the media hype of the incident.  I hadn't realized they dug up the fiance of one of the dead thieves. 

• friends
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2015, 03:20:47 PM »
I only paid attention to what horn said both himself and through his attorney. I read but have been unable to confirm his legal costs were high. The number quoted seemed too high but perhaps they hired investigators or something. I hope he had homeowners that covered it

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2015, 03:33:06 PM »
Yes, but posting a video of the traffic stop, even if edited badly, does not justify a raid on your parents home.  That seems to smack of retribution and extra-judicial punishment.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

• friends
Attempt to pay property taxes in $1 bills
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2015, 04:03:17 PM »
The judge that issued the warrant disagreed .
As did the prosecutor.
I suspect had he not tried to get slick he might have gotten away with a ticket. But some folks might say getting cute has consequences.
I think it might indeed have been payback. You think he's still in the army?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2015, 12:54:07 PM »
I gave a toll collector a zip lock with 16 dollars of pennies as a protest to the recently raised rates for a 5 axle truck.
They got pissy, I pop the air breaks and offered to wait.
Needless to say I did not wait.

The problem I have with this is that it's shooting the messenger.  The toll collector has the same power to set toll charges as you do - approximately zilch.

Writing a politely worded letter will do more.

Drawing on a $1 bill so as to make it look like a $10 bill?

Illegal as hell.

This reminds me of Boggs, who goes around selling drawings of money.  But with things like different people instead of the president, different buildings, etc...

The Secret Service actually arrested him one time for counterfeiting, but the law actually specifies mechanical reproduction, the dude(if I remember right) actually freehands everything with nothing more mechanical than a fountain pen.

IE he's technically forging money, not counterfeiting, and while fascinating pieces of art, they wouldn't pass the 3 second rules, especially given that most are one sided.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2015, 02:14:51 PM »
The problem I have with this is that it's shooting the messenger.  The toll collector has the same power to set toll charges as you do - approximately zilch.

Writing a politely worded letter will do more.

But being an ahole to the clerks is FIGHTING THE OPPRESSION!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• friends
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2015, 02:17:21 PM »
Actually. Doing something has risks. The type of person that does stuff like this is risk averse.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2015, 03:56:10 PM »
the news media always gets it wrong, when it comes to why the fellow was arrested.  Happens over and over, where the person involved was not arrested for what was stated, but for his actions when confronted by the po po.
Cops can, and will arrest you, or kill you, for not following orders.